PDA

View Full Version : Did the server lose much?

Empathy
09-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Just trying to figure out if the server population has declined over the past few weeks, and if so, how severe are we talking?

Has anyone noticed a sudden dropoff with WoW coming out? Additionally, as far as I understand, green will be coming out soon - will the playerbase be able to sustain two separate servers, or are we at the beginning of the end here?

Chortles Snort|eS
09-05-2019, 06:04 PM
100-200 maX

alSo sChooL stRt dIS weEK
mayBe GuD elF dAdS

Worry
09-05-2019, 06:19 PM
If Green is only one server, and is classic - absolutely.

Canelek
09-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Not really that much. Definitely no spikes here.

Cen
09-05-2019, 10:19 PM
I think Project 1999 lost more people to Phoenix Freeshard than Wow Classic... But the type of person isn't the same who plays wow classic.. Whereas baaically everyone I ran into on Phoenix was from P99 and I recognized all the peoples names lol

kaluppo
09-05-2019, 10:34 PM
I think Project 1999 lost more people to Phoenix Freeshard than Wow Classic... But the type of person isn't the same who plays wow classic.. Whereas baaically everyone I ran into on Phoenix was from P99 and I recognized all the peoples names lol

I agree. I remember when WoW first came out during my original EQ days. I had a few friends and several guildies leave to play it. Almost every single one came back within a month and said EQ was way better. It just seems to me that most people who really love EQ preferred it over WoW. If it was true then that I imagine it's still true now. Though I admit I never played WoW myself because I took everyone's word for it that EQ was better.

Same thing with EQ2. People would leave to play it but most I knew came back to the original before too long.

Cygenx
09-06-2019, 07:40 AM
EQ offered more of a challenge, WoW was too easy. I play EQ cause its hard.

Xulia
09-06-2019, 07:45 AM
100-200 maX

alSo sChooL stRt dIS weEK
mayBe GuD elF dAdS

My hatchling started her school as well. I am disappointed that hand-to-hand combat is no longer being taught in our schools. Next thing you know they'll be banning practice of the dark arts and the worship of the elder things.

Mblake81
09-06-2019, 07:53 AM
I agree. I remember when WoW first came out during my original EQ days. I had a few friends and several guildies leave to play it. Almost every single one came back within a month and said EQ was way better. It just seems to me that most people who really love EQ preferred it over WoW. If it was true then that I imagine it's still true now. Though I admit I never played WoW myself because I took everyone's word for it that EQ was better.

Asherons Call, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Star Wars Galaxies, Shadowbane.. WoW was in there somewhere.

EQ still has the best fantasy world imo, how it works, looks, sounds and the material it was inspired by. It is a massive multiplayer fantasy RPG designed before the min/max extreme retards turned everything into a raid or instances.

Nuggie
09-06-2019, 08:14 AM

Same thing with EQ2. People would leave to play it but most I knew came back to the original before too long.

My experience with the launch of classic WoW and EQ2 is the opposite. 2/3 of the guild left with the GL to WoW and the other third split to EQ2. My guild became a ghost town overnight where I would wander the houses and moan in the middle of the night like a ghost. Right as we were killing RZtW and the other elemental bosses to get into Time... man I was Pissed.

Vasarious
09-06-2019, 08:48 AM
My experience with the launch of classic WoW and EQ2 is the opposite. 2/3 of the guild left with the GL to WoW and the other third split to EQ2. My guild became a ghost town overnight where I would wander the houses and moan in the middle of the night like a ghost. Right as we were killing RZtW and the other elemental bosses to get into Time... man I was Pissed.

I thought I remember being in omens of war when original wow came out. I didnt play wow but for some reason I remember talking to a guy(shout out to Brohg from Innoruuk - tho maybe we had already been merged to Nameless by then) in my guild about going to it when were killing that big dog in wall of slaughter that guarded the entrance to that maze zone that riftseekes was off of. I dont remember the name of the maze zone off of the top of my head. What a random memory, especially if it was 2 expansions after the fact, hah.

Shrubwise
09-06-2019, 11:00 AM
No.

JayDee
09-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Yes

Kaedain
09-06-2019, 01:13 PM
maybe ?

Budder
09-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Yes little bit. It’ll get old over there and people will be back.

As far as green goes I will check it out but have no desire to start at ‘0’ again. I did that in 1999. I don’t have the time to dedicate to the game like want or used too. The gear and weapons I have now were gifted to me or bought with drops from unrest. Theirs no way I could achieve that on green, I just don’t have the time. I’m sure I’m not alone in this as well.

Nuggie
09-06-2019, 03:07 PM
I thought I remember being in omens of war when original wow came out. I didnt play wow but for some reason I remember talking to a guy(shout out to Brohg from Innoruuk - tho maybe we had already been merged to Nameless by then) in my guild about going to it when were killing that big dog in wall of slaughter that guarded the entrance to that maze zone that riftseekes was off of. I dont remember the name of the maze zone off of the top of my head. What a random memory, especially if it was 2 expansions after the fact, hah.

We were in WoS fighting that dog as well. At the same time we were trying to enter PoT. By no means was my casual raiding guild on the bleeding edge of content.

Keza
09-06-2019, 04:55 PM

Was being the key word. I've played WoW/EQ2 at launch and years after, both were more difficult and more interesting than they eventually became and you could say the exact same thing for EQ1. The only MMOs I've ever played that were still respectable several years post-launch are FFXI and Eve. And maybe Planetside? Kind of different though, plus flying mechs were bullshit even if they were rare. EQ eventually became as much of a joke as it's ancestor and rivals. I'd rather gobble dog turds than play it once it reached GoD.

I don't think people who enjoy classic EQ and classic WoW are that different. You'd probably only find any real issue when it comes down to instances. I've seen people claim both games are "difficult", both games are "social".. yet look at what you can solo in both games. Look at how OP some classes are in both games. Neither need to be social or difficult if you know what you're doing. A few days after WoW comes out all the raids are cleared.. green will be the same. Just biased nostalgia.

I prefer EQ over WoW because it's more social, which I feel is an important aspect of an MMO, but it's certainly not a necessary aspect of the game. Especially once people have fungi tunics, which is full-on gamebreaking.

As far as green goes I will check it out but have no desire to start at ‘0’ again. I did that in 1999. I don’t have the time to dedicate to the game like want or used too. The gear and weapons I have now were gifted to me or bought with drops from unrest. Theirs no way I could achieve that on green, I just don’t have the time. I’m sure I’m not alone in this as well.

You're not alone. As I recall "Remember when we actually cared about games and spent time playing them? Fuck that! Now that we're adults we don't do that anymore and everyone else should play games like we do(n't) because we don't have time!" is Brad MCQuaid's slogan for his EQ clone. I might be paraphrasing. Ok it's definitely a sarcastic exaggeration. But it's still accurate.

If you don't have time then that's that. Changing a game to be shite to suit your needs just ruins the game though. Plenty of fun games you can play without spending eons camping a single named drop. Hell I'm watching the CSGO tournament as I type this.

Mblake81
09-07-2019, 11:35 AM
I prefer EQ over WoW because it's more social, which I feel is an important aspect of an MMO, but it's certainly not a necessary aspect of the game.

It's a chat room. Not necessary in the sense you can be a lurker just like on a message board.

zodium
09-07-2019, 11:42 AM
the chat room is the game

Frug
09-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Just trying to figure out if the server population has declined over the past few weeks, and if so, how severe are we talking?

Has anyone noticed a sudden dropoff with WoW coming out? Additionally, as far as I understand, green will be coming out soon - will the playerbase be able to sustain two separate servers, or are we at the beginning of the end here?

It's been going down recently, but not a lot.

Population charts here: https://www.unixgeek.com/eqemu.html

Trollhide
09-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Sup Innoruuk bro, you probably didn't know me but I played Murgg, Arsis, and Pendrell there.

Against my better judgment I'll be throwing my life away once more to the siren song of EQ when green drops, at least for a time.

Bardp1999
09-09-2019, 12:39 AM
Playing classic WoW currently - I highly recommend

bricke75
09-09-2019, 07:43 AM
Yes, population has declined some.

It's strange to see 64 people in EC tunnel during the middle of the afternoon :(

Mblake81
09-09-2019, 08:36 AM
classic WoW - I highly recommend

to burn it.

Budder
09-09-2019, 09:16 AM
No desire to play WoW again. It’s too easy. Even with the changes this is STILL EQ. Be happy with a free server and what we have I say, or don’t play. I enjoy the small amounts of play time I get. I would love to be able to poopsock raid bosses all week for leet gears but I can’t. It’s still an escape and brings back great memories!