PDA

View Full Version : Live-share dps log file with partner

scifo76
09-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Is there a way to live-share the eq log with another player for dps parsing? Example: I'm a chanter, and would like to be able to use a dps parser, but I'm sitting too far away from the actual fight to register melee dmg.

So, if I duo with a shaman who is within range to log dps, can that shaman somehow share his log with me so my dps parser will read from his shared log? This way I could read dps output despite being on a safe distance from the pet.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Legidias
09-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Get a shared drive and direct logs / install EQ on that?

scifo76
09-01-2019, 09:18 AM
How often/fast do these shared drivers/folders update?

Legidias
09-01-2019, 09:29 AM
No idea on refresh rates. Just thinking of feasible options for ya

scifo76
09-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Yeah, if for example Google Drive refreshes on an ok speed, it would be possible. Then I can just tell my dps parser to read from that shared log file inside the Google Drive folder.

jacobar
09-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Is there a way to live-share the eq log with another player for dps parsing? Example: I'm a chanter, and would like to be able to use a dps parser, but I'm sitting too far away from the actual fight to register melee dmg.

So, if I duo with a shaman who is within range to log dps, can that shaman somehow share his log with me so my dps parser will read from his shared log? This way I could read dps output despite being on a safe distance from the pet.

Any ideas, suggestions?

look into this http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/howto/chainsaw.html . i understand what you're going for, and want to help but to be fair with you I dont really have much of an idea, I agree with the people talking about a shared drive. but it would probably be a large commitment for the shaman, unless you two knew eacother pretty well. in the shared drive you might be able ti have a symlink to the log file instead of having to install the entire game ito the share folder. i will keep looking around

feniin
09-01-2019, 02:57 PM
maybe a shared network folder with remote access?

jacobar
09-01-2019, 03:16 PM
A lot of references to OneDrive as people above mentioned a shared drive, but as mentioned trying to figure out a way to pipe the log file to the one drive or make it a shared link that you can parse to the local log file that would greatly increase the security of it all

HedleyKow
09-01-2019, 03:17 PM
A work around would be to use a program that lets you screen share and have that up on another monitor.

loramin
09-01-2019, 03:33 PM
The UNIX-y way would be to give your friend SSH access to your computer. Then they could just run:

ssh username@yourIP tail -f /path/to/logs/log.txt

to watch your logs.

jacobar
09-01-2019, 04:40 PM
The UNIX-y way would be to give your friend SSH access to your computer. Then they could just run:

ssh username@yourIP tail -f /path/to/logs/log.txt

to watch your logs.

Yes awesome idea to ssh, this link will give you information about a simular setup on windows if youre running that https://serverfault.com/questions/43987/applications-to-tail-httpd-logs-over-ssh-in-windows-besides-a-ssh-terminal. also to add to loraimin you can add a pipe commsnd to the end directed to a text file that would allow you to use a parser on it as i dont think you can parse just a tail output for example " tail -f /path/to/logs/log.txt[/CODE > /path/to/your/local/file.txt " to be able to have a physical file to select with your parse program