PDA

View Full Version : P99 on Linux Mint

Trude
08-26-2019, 04:48 PM
I used to play p99 on a windows desktop but have been away for years. I'm trying to get back into Norrath, but the only computer I have is a laptop running Linux mint. I'm not at all familiar with Linux and don't know where to start. I know there is a guide for linux users but I don't understand much of the technical jargon and again....i'm not familiar enough with linux to get it working...I'm becoming discouraged.

Help?

loramin
08-27-2019, 10:55 AM
http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide

But really you don't need a guide:

Install WINE via your distribution's package manager.

Download, install, and patch Titanium.

Run "wine eqgame.exe patchme" from your EQ directory.

loramin
08-27-2019, 11:00 AM
P.S. That guide is a little old, but it's a wiki, so if anything seems wrong about it feel free to fix it!

Benanov
08-28-2019, 09:10 AM
I had a lot of trouble with one monitor (couldn't click the skill point up/down boxes on character creation) but switching monitors fixed that problem. Was a resolution issue.

There is one outstanding bug with WINE EQ. You cannot drag the mouse w/ mouselook past the ends of the screen. If you were going to use a modern quake-style control scheme, you will be disappointed.

mai.cj
02-09-2020, 08:40 PM
There is one outstanding bug with WINE EQ. You cannot drag the mouse w/ mouselook past the ends of the screen. If you were going to use a modern quake-style control scheme, you will be disappointed.

I haven't experienced this limitation at all.

planarity
04-03-2020, 09:18 PM

apparently this is an issue with nvidia cards. I have a friend who spent a lot of time working on this, and iirc the fix is to use certain wine versions. He settled on using a recent version of wine-staging. I believe that an easy way to achieve this is using lutris, which provides an easy way to install and try a number of different wine versions. I think "lutris-5.4" is the same as the wine-staging version that he ended up using

Sendaris
04-05-2020, 10:08 PM
I have just got P1999 running using Steam on Linux! This solved my mouse look issues and I can even use the in-game graphics settings (brightness ect.) that didnt work at all in Wine for me. Just add P1999 as a non-steam game, then use the GE proton runtime.

This is the proton runtime I'm using:
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

Scratch&Sniff
04-20-2020, 11:14 PM
im a linux noob but i patched my files very carefully and getting xml error on start up. i did just like Ioramin said not sure what im doing wrong

loramin
04-21-2020, 11:49 AM
There's generally three things you can play with on Linux

winecfg: run it and enable/disable the checkboxes for Emulate a Virtual Desktop; if that doesn't help, try enabling/disabling the two "windows controls" checkboxes next to it

drivers (on Linux Mint use the Driver Manager in menu): switch to different versions of your graphics card driver (eg. proprietary instead of open source, or vice versa, or just slightly newer/older versions of each)

wine itself: try playing with slightly different versions of Wine (eg. staging vs. development)

It's all a lot more of a guessing game than an exact science. Good luck.

FTN806
05-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Hello there. I recently created a shell script to install Project1999 on Linux, specifically tested on Linux Mint. All you need is a torrent client, the rest is done for you.

A friend was tired of manually setting everything up on new machines. I did a little digging on the P99 on Linux wiki and threw together a small script. It should work on any Debian based distribution, but if you are using another distribution you can just install the required packages manually before running the script.

I'll add other distribution support in the future. Script was thrown together quickly and is a little rough, feel free to change it as you please.

https://github.com/ftn806/P99-Linux-Installer

loramin
05-10-2020, 11:23 AM
Looks neat. You might want to add a link to your GitHub page to https://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide (your GitHub page already links to it ;)).

NalaAddict
05-27-2020, 10:47 PM
I have just got P1999 running using Steam on Linux! This solved my mouse look issues and I can even use the in-game graphics settings (brightness ect.) that didnt work at all in Wine for me. Just add P1999 as a non-steam game, then use the GE proton runtime.

This is the proton runtime I'm using:
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases

What file in the EQ folder did you use? I didn't notice that steam copied the compatibility files in like it did for some other games that are steam games. I tried adding eqgame.exe in and adding patchme to the launch options. Prior, I tried adding that launcher bat instead. Both times, when I click Play, it just flashes quickly and does nothing. In both cases I told it to use proton 5.07 under its own menu of compatibility tools.

I've been having various issues with wine so far, in the absence of using steam, including, so far...zero music despite following the instructions that should have made it work. About to test sound, assuming it doesn't crash before entering world this time. If I don't figure this out soon, I'm either going to have to give in and either use a vm, or investigate how much hassle dual boot would be to put Win 8.1 in. For the record, I'm using MX linux (mxlinux.org) ... which is Debian based. I doubt it's the same beast as either Mint or Ubuntu.

Naxy
07-15-2020, 05:36 AM
Hello there. I recently created a shell script to install Project1999 on Linux, specifically tested on Linux Mint. All you need is a torrent client, the rest is done for you.

A friend was tired of manually setting everything up on new machines. I did a little digging on the P99 on Linux wiki and threw together a small script. It should work on any Debian based distribution, but if you are using another distribution you can just install the required packages manually before running the script.

I'll add other distribution support in the future. Script was thrown together quickly and is a little rough, feel free to change it as you please.

https://github.com/ftn806/P99-Linux-Installer

I get a 404 when clicking on that link.

Naxy
07-16-2020, 05:23 PM
I’ll answer it myself. It can be found at GitLab

https://gitlab.com/FTN806/P99-Linux-Installer

Tann
07-18-2020, 07:54 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide

But really you don't need a guide:

Install WINE via your distribution's package manager.

Download, install, and patch Titanium.

Run "wine eqgame.exe patchme" from your EQ directory.

sadly something is wonky with my stuff after i just reinstalled ubuntu on this intel nuc. p99 barely works, time from server select to character select is maybe 5minutes and it runs really slow/choppy. same nuc ran p99 lightning fast on win7. other games running fine, maybe ill try playonlinux

Tann
07-18-2020, 08:15 PM
Ahh figured it out, was missing a couple packages like mono and gecko or whatever. Litrus detected that right away when I installed it and it checked my wine directory

elkboot
09-05-2020, 05:42 PM
Hello everyone, Elias here and author of the original script.
The Project1999 For Linux installation script has been upgraded and is a bit more robust/clean at this point.
The updated version can be found here: https://github.com/ejhpas/Project1999-For-Linux
Please check the Readme before running the script.

Still a lot of work to be done, but it is much better than it's previous state.
Feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

valithteezee
09-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Thank you Elboot for compiling that, it was very helpful! I do have one issue and that's with the sound. After following your video to the T as well as what you wrote about changing it within the winetricks program I still cannot get sound to work on my Linux Mint. I got this error in terminal:

"ALSA lib conf.c:3722:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib seq.c:935:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
0009:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work."

Would appreciate any help!

elkboot
09-11-2020, 06:32 PM
Thank you Elboot for compiling that, it was very helpful! I do have one issue and that's with the sound. After following your video to the T as well as what you wrote about changing it within the winetricks program I still cannot get sound to work on my Linux Mint. I got this error in terminal:

"ALSA lib conf.c:3722:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib seq.c:935:(snd_seq_open_noupdate) Unknown SEQ default
0009:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work."

Would appreciate any help!

Winetricks route is not what I suggest, does your qsynth config look like these screenshots https://github.com/ejhpas/Project1999-For-Linux/tree/master/Screenshots ?

xaix1999
09-11-2020, 07:04 PM
this should clear up some problems as you will need to config your audio

winecfg for your wine audio tab and set it to alsa or pulseaudio

if you have pulseaudio please install or use pavucontrol
PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) is a simple GTK based volume control tool ("mixer") for the PulseAudio sound server. In contrast to classic mixer tools this one allows you to control both the volume of hardware devices and of each playback stream separately.

for further info please reference https://freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/pavucontrol/

valithteezee
09-11-2020, 10:15 PM
Winetricks route is not what I suggest, does your qsynth config look like these screenshots https://github.com/ejhpas/Project1999-For-Linux/tree/master/Screenshots ?

Yes Elk, those are my exact specs.

kissemisse
10-03-2020, 03:04 PM
What file in the EQ folder did you use? I didn't notice that steam copied the compatibility files in like it did for some other games that are steam games. I tried adding eqgame.exe in and adding patchme to the launch options. Prior, I tried adding that launcher bat instead. Both times, when I click Play, it just flashes quickly and does nothing. In both cases I told it to use proton 5.07 under its own menu of compatibility tools.

Not sure if you are still looking but i managed to get it working by:
1) Download and unpack the Proton 5.9 GE linked earlier from here (https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/tag/5.9-GE-6-ST)
2) Create the folder 'compatibilitytools.d' in your $HOME/.steam/root folder.
3) Move the complete Proton GE folder you unpacked into this compatibilitytools.d folder.
4) Start steam and add a non steam game, select the eqgame.exe file from your Everquest folder.
5) You should be able to select Proton 5.9 for this game.
6) add the launch options to 'patchme'
7) Start the game. If it doesnt start i had to disable vulcan support (i have older graphics board) for the Proton to work. To do this you have to
a) in the folder containing Proton 5.9 copy the file "user_settings.sample.py" to "user_settings.py"
b) edit this file and enable the option 'Use OpenGL-based wine3d'

If not working, try running steam from command line and observe any errors.

Ive had this issue for a long time, but running under steam and proton seems to have solved this issue - such a relief (it was not related to nvidia cards).

Hugs

xaix1999
10-03-2020, 07:43 PM
i fixed this a long time ago by making a virtual desktop

xaix1999
10-03-2020, 07:49 PM
im not sure why you would want to use proton to run eq since its meant for modern games
you are on linux and can use vulkan to display but instead you use opengl???
and for some reason you are using a proton version thats meant for other game patches that use directx 12
and other mods like faudio and esync which nothing about eq uses any of these

kissemisse
10-04-2020, 04:05 AM
i fixed this a long time ago by making a virtual desktop
That didnt work that good for me, but glad you got it working!

im not sure why you would want to use proton to run eq since its meant for modern games
you are on linux and can use vulkan to display but instead you use opengl???
and for some reason you are using a proton version thats meant for other game patches that use directx 12
and other mods like faudio and esync which nothing about eq uses any of these

It was just a way to run if different and for me, it seems to be working a little better than plain wine.
I am not able to use vulcan due to my radeon driver.

Best

xaix1999
10-04-2020, 01:13 PM
i am using the amdgpu driver, sounds like you are using the amdgpupro driver
vulkan can be used with mesa + amdgpu + dxvk

xaix1999
10-04-2020, 01:17 PM
dxvk installed into your wine prefix will most likely use vulkan for you

Sirfearoth
01-16-2021, 05:18 PM
Does this script work with a project 99 directory from a windows install?

Semli
01-17-2021, 10:51 PM
Anyone have any issues with character animations? I have the game booting, sound fully working, joining servers and in general fully playing successfully, except every character is stuck in a standing position without moving, including corpses. Anyone run into anything like this? This is in Manjaro.