PDA

View Full Version : New Player -

vsanthos
06-29-2019, 11:17 PM
Hello,

I've played EQ a lot in the past (I was very young, and was never able to focus enough to level past the late 40s). I'm currently trying to decide on a class. I don't have a ton of free time to devote to the game, so being able to solo a bit is important. I'm really interested in playing a cleric. Is it really that hard to solo on a cleric when I don't have time to find a group, or will I be better off with a class who can solo better, like a bard?

Wallicker
06-30-2019, 10:21 AM
You can solo on a cleric no problem! Once you hit 50s not as much but it is really easy at that point to find a group as a cleric. If that’s what you want to play then do it the server could use more Main clerics!

caveslug
06-30-2019, 11:41 AM
You can solo on any class really, given time.

Just be warned a lot of the people saying you can solo, are coming at this thinking you have top end twink gear. And at the end of the day you might find you wished you went with a more solo friendly class.

Wasn't even a week ago a twinked cleric in my guide was complaining about soloing, because they couldn't find a group.

Crede
06-30-2019, 03:07 PM
Hello,

I've played EQ a lot in the past (I was very young, and was never able to focus enough to level past the late 40s). I'm currently trying to decide on a class. I don't have a ton of free time to devote to the game, so being able to solo a bit is important. I'm really interested in playing a cleric. Is it really that hard to solo on a cleric when I don't have time to find a group, or will I be better off with a class who can solo better, like a bard?

Clerics can solo, but your options are very limited. You're really just looking for specific spots for undead, and cleric is ultimately a group class. I would not recommend playing this class if your playtime is limited to solo play.

In your situation, I'd recommend a Druid. They can heal, but can solo extremely well between charming and quadding. If you're looking for classes with a higher skill cap who are great soloers, then go with Enchanter, Necromancer, or Bard. Wizards are also a good solo option, but you sorta have to be 100% set on a wizard to play one. It will take awhile to get to lvl 34 where your solo play really takes off, and are more annoying to play without the means of obtaining Jboots.

Topgunben
06-30-2019, 03:17 PM
Hello,

Basically you'll struggle in the DPS department your whole life if you decide to solo a cleric. Any things possible, but that doesn't mean you should do it

Halfcell
07-01-2019, 04:04 AM
Given your situation I highly recommend a shaman. It's the perfect class for when you only have half an hour to play and want to solo, but then on days where you have time, if you want to get a group they are always looking for a shaman.

kuuky
07-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Contact me in the tunnel tonight after 8 Eastern time. I have something to give you that will help you out regardless of whether you go Cleric or Shaman. Send me a PM with your character's name so I know it's you.

vsanthos
07-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Given your situation I highly recommend a shaman. It's the perfect class for when you only have half an hour to play and want to solo, but then on days where you have time, if you want to get a group they are always looking for a shaman.

I played a bit on a bard, only level 4 though, so not a lot of investment. Is a shaman going to work out a lot better in the end than a bard?

Legidias
07-01-2019, 12:05 PM
The same will apply to bard. You can spend 30 mins soloing very effectively either charm or AE kite (One 25-min ae kite session will be like grouping for a whole day).

When you need a group, bards are great utility class and get groups easily.

I would say that without MAJOR time investment, youll get more out of bards (since shammies need like 200k in spells / gear and level 60 to be considered a real 'shaman')

vsanthos
07-01-2019, 12:07 PM
The same will apply to bard. You can spend 30 mins soloing very effectively either charm or AE kite (One 25-min ae kite session will be like grouping for a whole day).

I would say that without MAJOR time investment, youll get more out of bards (since shammies need like 200k in spells / gear and level 60 to be considered a real 'shaman')
That's what I understood previously. Just wanted to make surez before I sink too much time into a character. :) Thanks for the input!

Puluin
07-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Bard or druid is your #1 best choices for small random play windows. Either can log on and get some xp done in 30ish min without too much trouble.
Bard only really needs investment into instruments and ac.
Druids can practically play naked granted quading gets annoying if you have a sub average mana pool.

Halfcell
07-02-2019, 06:54 PM

This is true. At 60 shaman are brutal expensive to spell up. Bards are much less gear or spell dependent, and they can solo well. If bard is what the OP picked, that is a very solid choice.

I don't agree with the people saying Druid is a good choice, but then again that's because I think druids are the most superfluous class in EQ.

caveslug
07-03-2019, 09:33 AM
I don't agree with the people saying Druid is a good choice, but then again that's because I think druids are the most superfluous class in EQ.

Druids are pretty much the roaches of P99 :D

Backle
07-06-2019, 01:37 PM
I have limited experience with the game, but I have found it difficult to solo as a cleric. In Kurn's Tower fighting undead, it takes forever to recover between pulls. Your undead nuke is great, but what's the point if it takes 5 minutes until you can pull again? Grouping is so much better. I wouldn't recommend cleric if soloing is on the agenda.

vsanthos
07-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Are bards just everywhere? Or is this just a low level problem? I'm still low level. I made it to 16 over the weekend and am having a lot of fun so far. I'm just afraid of drowning in an overcrowded pool of bards for groups later on.

Halfcell
07-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Are bards just everywhere? Or is this just a low level problem? I'm still low level. I made it to 16 over the weekend and am having a lot of fun so far. I'm just afraid of drowning in an overcrowded pool of bards for groups later on.

Nah, the surprising thing about this server is that if you play a NA prime times there will be plenty of people at almost any level to group with. If there is another bard somewhere just go to one of the other good leveling zones, or go solo while you wait for a spot in the group you want.

caveslug
07-12-2019, 10:04 AM

If you start looking for a group at US prime time, it's not going to matter much what class you play. If a zone / group is full, your going to be waiting or soloing.

I think a lot of people are excited for the green server, just so it lowers blues population some.

kjs86z
07-12-2019, 10:07 AM
Just turn on LFG and go solo. If you get a tell, great! If not, you've made far more xp aoe kiting than you would have sitting in a busy zone in /ooc "XX Bard LFG"

If you're super bored of the swarm solo game....can always do a /who LFG +/- 3 or 4 levels of your own and build a group yourself.

Smin
07-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Just started out over the weekend also. Played back when EQ was first released and forgot how brutal the grind was....

---Trebull