PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter - Why bother breaking charm?

Hamesh
06-24-2019, 12:21 PM
I understand pets eat 50% exp if you don't break charm. I'm not sure that it matters that much. My experience lately has been mostly on 2nd floor of City of Mist. Looking for someone to correct me where I'm wrong in my thinking.

Scenario 1:
Charm two mobs, let them kill each other, and nuke both for full xp.
Mez a pet (20), tash it (30), charm it (195) = 245 mana
Tash a mob (30) and send pet = 30 mana
Break charm, nuke pet (160), nuke mob (160) = 320 mana

Scenario 1 Total: 595 mana

Scenario 2:
Charm pet, give it weapons and haste, and let it go to town on slowed mobs.
Mez a pet (20), tash it (30), charm it (195), haste it (275), and give it weapons = 520 mana
Tash a mob (30), send pet, and slow mob (100 for Tepid Deeds) = 130 mana

Scenario 2 Total: 650 mana

In scenario 2, however, I don't have to break charm, nuke, and then charm something new every fight. Let's conservatively assume charm lasts 4 fights. I usually get more like 5-6 mobs killed before having to blur pet to heal it or re-charm due to break.

Over 4 fights, I tash (30) and slow (100) every mob so that's (4x130) 520 mana. I'm not purposely breaking charm or having to spend mana on nukes so I have my initial mez (20), tash (30), and charm (195) spread out over those 4 fights. Pet haste (AQ) lasts 24 minutes so that's about 15-18 fights (275 mana / 15 fights = 18.33) and costs roughly 19 mana per fight (19x4 = 76).

Scenario 1 over four mobs killed (2 fights, kill both mobs) is 595 x 2 = 1190 mana
Scenario 2 over four mobs killed (4 fights, pet kills all mobs) is 520 + 245 + 76 = 841 mana

The 4 fights in scenario 2 are also a hell of a lot faster. A hasted, weaponized pet seems to be doing well more than 2x the damage of an unbuffed pet.

So if I let pet steal 50% exp then I have to kill 2x as many mobs, but that seems to be easy enough to do with a hasted pet and I get 2x more gem drops etc from killing more mobs. Am I missing something?

nordbear
06-24-2019, 01:28 PM
Scenario 1 grants 200% xp and scenario 2 50% so you’d need to kill 4 mobs with the charmed pet to get the same amount of xp

Hamesh
06-24-2019, 01:34 PM
I'm fairly sure the hasted pet is killing 4 mobs in the time it takes for two unbuffed mobs to kill each other down and for me to nuke them and med the mana back. I might have to time some fights later. Thanks.

loramin
06-24-2019, 01:41 PM
The whole cool "trick" of charm fighting is that you make the damage your pet takes work for you. When you stop killing your pet, all that damage it takes works against you instead, so you really have to kill A LOT more/faster if you want to keep the same pet.

But if you optimize things right, and based on the numbers you presented it sounds like you are, keeping a pet can make sense in some circumstances: it just needs to kill significantly faster.

Legidias
06-24-2019, 02:03 PM
A hasted pet also kills YOU much faster

Hamesh
06-24-2019, 02:11 PM
A hasted pet also kills YOU much faster
That's another thing. On CoM second floor, with a hasted pet you clear more mobs so you actually have way more room to work with in the event of pet break. He never even gets close to me. It's counter-intuitive, but I feel safer with hasted pet.

stebbins99
06-24-2019, 02:28 PM
If you are keeping the same mob charmed (over considerable time), you'll also have to deal with keeping him healed / at adequate HP-- especially if you have any -MR gear on him that you don't want to poof.

This is why the ENC + CLE duo is so powerful-- a cleric can cast CH (complete heal) on your uber-buff pet for just 400 mana, even if your charmed pet has 10k HP. This is the main situation in which it is very desirable to keep the same pet charmed over time

Hamesh
06-24-2019, 02:33 PM
If you are keeping the same mob charmed (over considerable time), you'll also have to deal with keeping him healed / at adequate HP-- especially if you have any -MR gear on him that you don't want to poof.

This is why the ENC + CLE duo is so powerful-- a cleric can cast CH (complete heal) on your uber-buff pet for just 400 mana, even if your charmed pet has 10k HP. This is the main situation in which it is very desirable to keep the same pet charmed over time
I think maybe my scenario only works in City of Mist, where charming a wraith and hasting it means it's healing close to 500hp per fight based on its own lifetap proc and Deadwood Stave procs. I only have to blur heal him once every 6-8 fights.

Isey
06-24-2019, 05:08 PM
I havent tried it yet but read of a tactic he called "blendermob".

Basically charm, haste and weaponized a pet. Break charm, root it.

Then charm basic mobs, put them against the Blender Mob, let them best down to near death, release, kill, repeat. Kind of reversing it. Curious on how well that works.

Synthlol
06-24-2019, 05:35 PM
None of you know how to do it right.

Charm a pet and use it to pull and tank 4-6 mobs. Root every mob it’s fighting on top of each other. When pet gets low, break charm and finish it off. Then charm a rooted mob and it’ll quickly get wasted by the pack of mobs surrounding it. Break charm before it dies and finish it off too.

Rinse and repeat until the pack is gone.

enjchanter
06-24-2019, 07:46 PM
None of you know how to do it right.

Charm a pet and use it to pull and tank 4-6 mobs. Root every mob it’s fighting on top of each other. When pet gets low, break charm and finish it off. Then charm a rooted mob and it’ll quickly get wasted by the pack of mobs surrounding it. Break charm before it dies and finish it off too.

Rinse and repeat until the pack is gone.

he gave away the trade secret but yeah this is correct. If you have a 3minute root , you should be doing this.

Wallicker
06-24-2019, 07:55 PM
What’s amaze balls is when you get that perfect pack of 4 all down below 5% at the same time and quickly open that book and mem gflux in the first spot and do your best Mortal Kombat voice and FINISH THEM!

Hamesh
06-24-2019, 07:59 PM
he gave away the trade secret but yeah this is correct. If you have a 3minute root , you should be doing this.
So what do you do when root breaks early and now a mob is parked away from the pack? I’ve been too hesitant to have those pack fights intentionally.

Wallicker
06-24-2019, 08:01 PM
Mez it and then it’s your next pet

Wallicker
06-24-2019, 08:03 PM
Or if you are above 80m just fear it so it will pull more mobs for you to wreck, enchanters are gangsters.

Hamesh
06-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Alright well I’m 54 so I have C2 and PE. Guess it’s time to start playing with my big boy pants on.

Wallicker
06-24-2019, 08:20 PM
I started going nuts like this around lvl 39 in kaesora with only Enstill you will have so much fun lol just keep a WC cap or CT gate pot or whatever handy if shit really hits the fan.

Tecmos Deception
06-24-2019, 08:34 PM
Others beat me to it, but yeah, the scenario 1 vs 2 thing is a false dichotomy. The real xp by the time you could solo com is in reverse charming 3-5 mobs at once.

If you don't do that for some reason, you still have to consider time spent not killing when using a buffed pet due to: splitting rooms that aren't already split, letting pet heal for 90 seconds every 4-5 fights, pet being more dangerous to you on a charm break, etc. You also seem to be using a more expensive nuke than is sometimes necessary to finish off a mob, inflating the mana needs of scenario 1.

There's an hour-long CoM video in my collection, if anyone wants to see charming solo enchanter in action in there.

Tecmos Deception
06-24-2019, 08:42 PM
So what do you do when root breaks early and now a mob is parked away from the pack? I’ve been too hesitant to have those pack fights intentionally.

Watch my videos. Hs north vids have lots of examples of groups getting split up and me still killing everything off.

Hamesh
06-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Others beat me to it, but yeah, the scenario 1 vs 2 thing is a false dichotomy. The real xp by the time you could solo com is in reverse charming 3-5 mobs at once.

If you don't do that for some reason, you still have to consider time spent not killing when using a buffed pet due to: splitting rooms that aren't already split, letting pet heal for 90 seconds every 4-5 fights, pet being more dangerous to you on a charm break, etc. You also seem to be using a more expensive nuke than is sometimes necessary to finish off a mob, inflating the mana needs of scenario 1.

There's an hour-long CoM video in my collection, if anyone wants to see charming solo enchanter in action in there.
I’ll check videos. Thanks. The nuke I used is Anarchy, which does about 4% mob health on 2nd floor CoM. Letting health get lower than that seems like you risk your mob getting killed by pet.

I’m eager to try out the pack killing method now though.

Tecmos Deception
06-24-2019, 09:14 PM
I’ll check videos. Thanks. The nuke I used is Anarchy, which does about 4% mob health on 2nd floor CoM. Letting health get lower than that seems like you risk your mob getting killed by pet.

Id often keep two nukes ready when feasible (like in com, where you don't need a permanent slot for theft of thought). Not a huge difference but I felt like I could spare the slot anyway so it's save mana sometimes when a mob just so happened to end up at 1-2%.

And yeah the pack killing is amazing. It makes you feel like a god. Necros do it pretty well too, but it's a bit more finnicky without aoe mez and tash (and fetter).

enjchanter
06-24-2019, 10:28 PM

meh theres a couple options, can aoe mez ur pack and then just run it back in, flux etc then root it back in place works fine for me

the main thing really is to just keep on top of roots

if you have access, Robe of Smothering is really nice for finishing off those <7% mobs

Synthlol
06-25-2019, 03:34 PM

The correct technical term is Leaves' EXP Blender of Death and Destruction™

Necros do it pretty well too

And Druids do it best, but don't have many places to do it outside of the bear pits.

Ravager
06-25-2019, 09:59 PM
Charm is for the weak. It's all about face tanking and nuking with animation pets. Man up.

Quinas
06-26-2019, 01:35 AM
Charm is for the weak. It's all about face tanking and nuking with animation pets. Man up.

Whatever happened to that expert that said charm killing was a completely inefficient use of an Enchanter's toolbox and animations were the bomb? :confused:

snyder43
06-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Whatever happened to that expert that said charm killing was a completely inefficient use of an Enchanter's toolbox and animations were the bomb? :confused:

He is still trolling the forums. Here is a comment from about two weeks ago:

Charm IS bad/worse than animations...

...But I agree, too many people get raped in the face by charmed monsters, so let's start #AnimationPrideMonth in July. :cool:

I wonder what level he is up to now..

kjs86z
06-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Rimitto almost triggered me IRL.

stebbins99
06-26-2019, 11:18 AM
He is still trolling the forums. Here is a comment from about two weeks ago:

I wonder what level he is up to now..

He's probably maxed-out his throwing skill by now! Dude loved his throwing daggers if I recall

Hamesh
06-26-2019, 03:30 PM
Alright. I tried it. The blender/pack killing is awesome. Ignore all other scenarios!

mumpz
06-26-2019, 04:07 PM
there's so many ways to play solo on an ench and they're all fun and situational.

some days its nice to haste and torch a pet and sit back. other days you wanna max your xp and root/charm pulls. then other days you break charm everytime the mob is below 10% because that one enchanter lied to you. even still there are other days where you just have charm break while your pulling in HS and your cat walks on your keyboard so you die and your only friend isnt online to bail you out so you leave and never come back.

really so many ways to play enchanter its all fun

Tecmos Deception
06-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Alright. I tried it. The blender/pack killing is awesome. Ignore all other scenarios!

It doesn't work too well before the 40s really. But after that, and especially once you have tot (and then c2) it gets really silly.

Quinas
06-27-2019, 12:35 AM
He's probably maxed-out his throwing skill by now! Dude loved his throwing daggers if I recall

I can't look at a :rolleyes: emoji the same way anymore.