PDA

View Full Version : Characters Missing / Spell files out of date

AdrenolineLove
06-09-2019, 05:11 PM
I'm having a very strange issue. Trying to come back after a hiatus and it says my spell files are out of date even though I've updated to the newest version.

50% of the time I login and 0 of my characters are there its just all blank slots to create a new character. I attempt to make a new character and I go LD after I hit enter world.

25% of the time I login and it says my spell files are out of date (they are not)

5% I can login just fine.

No antivirus is running, my internets fine, I made sure nothing is set to read only. Not sure what else could be causing it or where to go from here?

Did a clean install on a different hard drive, same issue.

Selos
06-09-2019, 07:50 PM
Same issue. I was playing just fine yesterday, the day before, etc, and now all of a sudden it tells me my spell file is outdated. I did a complete reinstall and the problem persists. NFC what to do.

Agreed
06-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Same here, playing without issue from February 2019 until this morning. Logged in and it said my spell file was out of date, though from all I can tell it is not. I restarted the app. Then I logged in and my characters were gone. I restarted the app again. On the third login attempt, all went as normal and my characters are there. Very strange.

Also, the game freezes on zoning for me quite often suddenly when it never did that before.

I really don't understand why it was no issues 'til today and suddenly many issues, is the server fine?

Agreed
06-10-2019, 09:08 AM
I'm definitely getting an issue where I go linkdead on trying to zone, and logging in gets the "Your spells file is outdated" message most of the time. This really sucks, hope we can get it figured out. Was having no issues from start until this morning.

Duny
06-10-2019, 06:20 PM
I have come back after a year or so and tried to run game after installing the latest files 47 version. Character select screen says files are still out of date.

What else can I do?

Selos
06-10-2019, 09:55 PM
Guys....

Check out this response (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327269) from Caldwin. This worked for me. I don't know why I needed to do this all of a sudden, but I'm not complaining since I can log in again!

GL fellas

-Akselos

RainBlossom
06-11-2019, 05:54 AM
How do we /petition on the Forum for missing toon(s)?
I created an account & char May 19, 2019, and the account was intact 2 days ago, but just now when I logged in, the Char-select screen shows 'Create Character', and the toon I made and leveled for 2 weeks is gone.
I don't multi-box, or hack, or any bad thing(s), so I'm pretty darn sure my toon wouldn't get wiped... I assume when people get suspended or banned, they get an error message when they try to login... something along the lines of 'This account no longer exists." or "This account has been suspended."
Can anyone help me --> tell me how to /petition for char/account restoration, please?
Thank you.

RB

mcoy
06-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Make a post in the Petition/Exploit area. It's under "Server Issues" on the main page:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

-Mcoy

sethropfeq1
06-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Any resolution for this yet? I am still having the issue after replacing all files.

AdrenolineLove
06-12-2019, 11:35 AM
The running comparability mode didn't resolve it. In fact, I can't even see the servers anymore after doing that. No resolution on my end yet (OP)

I guess I'll petition and wait 6 months for a response.

sethropfeq1
06-12-2019, 08:57 PM
I think we may be SOL on this one. There are threads about error SP-1 going back years, and other than some people having an issue with a .dll file being stopped by antivirus, there has been no resolution.

*That I can find.

sethropfeq1
06-14-2019, 09:08 PM
So yea...

I have been meaning to wipe my computer for a while and this gave me the impetus to do so. Bare metal install. New everything.

No change.

If this is still a completely client-side issue, I am flabbergasted as to how.

*And in case someone asks, yes, it worked flawlessly for a couple of weeks after initial install.

RainBlossom
06-15-2019, 02:59 AM
Thanks, McCoy. :)

HedleyKow
06-15-2019, 08:06 AM
I know you said your internet connection is fine, but every time I've experienced the same problems logging in as you it was when my internet connection was being shitty.

sethropfeq1
06-15-2019, 11:29 AM
I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I am not sure how to gauge this as the issue. I can do anything else on the internet, before, after, and during for that matter. So I don't think my connection is to play, but I will double check it to make sure.

Thanks again.

loramin
06-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Have you guys tried using a VPN? They only cost $5-10 a month (so they're cheap/easy enough to try), and on Linux at least I've seen using one help with connection issues.

sethropfeq1
06-15-2019, 11:46 AM
I have one, ExpressVPN. I tried a couple of servers close to me but they seemed to be blocked by P1999. I will try a couple of others further away to see if there is any difference.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate your time.

loramin
06-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Huh, odd: I use Private Internet Access. Like I said, far from being blocked, I can't even get the server to show up without it (but again, I'm on Linux).

AdrenolineLove
06-15-2019, 03:15 PM
I've been testing things literally for 6 hours now. On my old PC which ran p99 with no issues for years I updated the spell files and recreated the same issues. This leads me to believe it may be a connectivity thing since they are both on the same network. No solution as of yet.

HedleyKow
06-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Have you tried changing your DNS server?

I was searching some old forum posts and there was one where someone couldn't see the server in the server select screen and it ended up being a DNS issue. Not the exact same issue, but similar enough to warrant trying it out I suppose.

AdrenolineLove
06-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Changed my DNS server, didn't resolve it. Tried a VPN, couldn't even get the server list to show. Tried about 15 different VPN servers across the world to no avail.

sethropfeq1
06-16-2019, 11:56 AM
And to prove this error is truly bizarre...

I found a VPN server on my providers list that isn't blocked, and seems to fix the issues completely for me.

This makes little sense to me so far. To check to see if it is just that the vpn provider is giving me a different DNS server, I disconnected and tried google/verizon/opendns servers, no change. Given, this is far from a comprehensive test, but at this point I have no idea why connecting to a VPN server would alleviate this issue.

Sure would be nice if we could get some attention to this issue as googling SP-1 shows it has been around a LONG time.

AdrenolineLove
06-16-2019, 11:57 AM
I'll try a few more VPN servers since I've exhausted about everything else I can think of.

loramin
06-16-2019, 01:26 PM
This makes little sense to me so far.

I'm no networking expert, so I can't really explain why VPNs help :( All I know is that Rogean is a networking expert, and lately he has been trying all sorts of stuff to improve networking issues with P99.

His recent changes seems to have greatly improved zone load times for most players ... but whatever optimizations he made also seem to have a side effect of screwing a particular class of players over (and to be fair, people have always had issues with the server, so it's not like these changes are to blame for everyone's problems). But it seems that somehow by using VPNs you can dodge that problem and make things work.

There was a thread about this where he asked for feedback from people, but I haven't seen him post about it in awhile. This could mean that he's still hard at work trying to solve it ... or it could mean that he's satisfied everything works well for 99% of players and he's just given up on the remaining 1%. After everything else he's done, I certainly wouldn't fault him if he just gave up and expects those 1% to get VPNs, as I'm sure messing with this stuff is not fun on his end.

sethropfeq1
06-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Humorously enough, that is what I do for a living. I don't think this is a DNS issue. I have tried a few others since my last reply, no changes. I suppose there could be a routing issue of some sort that using my VPN gets me around, but I am too lazy at the moment to check my FW to see what the server IP is to investigate further. Beyond that, I cannot imagine what change he would have made that would be this sporadic.

AdrenolineLove
06-16-2019, 07:50 PM
I have successfully logged in and replicated the issue on a VPN so a VPN does not work around this issue for me.

Puluin
06-16-2019, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenolineLove
I've done a clean install on 3 different computers and still had an issue though so its not the luclin models. Plus ive been playing all day with them on. Its just if i log out i have to try many many times to get back in. Quote.

Oh if you were successfully playing for some time and logged off / closed eq without crashing, combined with your mention of all 3 pcs having issues: I greatly suspect that the issue lies in
A: the manner in which you are installing or running the game is causing an issue. ( could be a bad titanium install prior to patch or files that need to be deleted were not deleted or if on win10 the directory in which it's installed ) win10 has read write issues for some programs depending on what directory they're loacted in.
B: your router or modem is the issue causing the specific path for p99 server to not be reached or loss of data transmitted or ( going back to the stupid win10 permissions thing ) win 10 is blocking or putting your lan/wifi card into sleep mode of low power mode.

I personally have a failing hard drive and due to the increased delay in read/write it takes me several attempts at login before the servers will populate.

However I have also experienced this same issue when my pc was left idle for some time and I tried eq first thing when I returned ( lan was in low power mode )
I had to load up p99 forum pages to get it to work again.

Also same issue happens when there is a "traffic jam" on my ISP (e.x. fiber cable gets damaged and all traffic has to be crammed into a different line.)

Edit: additionally my RL friend claims he runs into the same issue if trying to run eq while the game folder is on his desktop. Something about win10 permissions. He has to keep it on c: root directory and not in any other foldees.

Alanov
06-23-2019, 10:04 AM
Not sure if this was mentioned, but be sure to load the latest files. After taking a few months off, I was having the same issues as some of you all and then I noticed there was a patch back in April.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11