PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter single target techniques

Eeamar
04-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Hello,

I'm a lvl 22 Enchanter. This is the highest level I've reached on a character, so I don't know a ton about the game other than what I read on the wiki and learn from others.

I almost exclusively reverse charm/charm everything and tend to look for camps that allow this to work. However, I keep finding scenarios where I really want to single pull a named or high HP mob, but I just don't feel like I'm doing it right.

What I've been doing with pretty terrible results is Root > Tash > Highest Nuke > Second highest Nuke > Repeat

Would anyone be interested in sharing how they would go about doing single target kills at my level?

Is there a lower level version of stun locking? I love the concept of the color line rotation, but understand it's not fully powered until level 44.

Any thoughts would be awesome. Thanks!

Dillusional
04-26-2019, 03:16 PM
Have you purchased your animation spells from high keep? They at least give you a summoned pet to help out. I don't remember how effective they are at that level.

enjchanter
04-26-2019, 03:48 PM
Is there a reason you're not wanting to simply charm an appropriately leveled monster in the area, rooting / slowing the named mob and letting the charmed monster help you ?

Qtip
04-26-2019, 04:44 PM
If not charming.

Just root, tash, slow and chain summon animations. Nukes arent worth it mana wise.

Tecmos Deception
04-26-2019, 08:49 PM
I prefer tash -> root not the other way around. Unless you're fighting in really tight spaces, you have time to root after, but that way have lower chance on that root resisting.

If tight spaces, mez -> tash -> root -> nukes. Mez will resist less often than root (though neither really outright resists on anything blue after you tash).

Use animation for added damage when you get hit. It won't steal xp often unbuffed and is efficient damage:mana.

Some of early dots are more efficient than nukes until they start having really long durations. Use those on stuff you're generally keeping rooted besides just your nukes.

Consider only using your most efficient nuke and catching med ticks between casts instead of cycling multiple nukes, maybe, as long as the mob is low enough root doesn't break a whole lot.

Tecmos Deception
04-26-2019, 08:55 PM
If not charming.

Just root, tash, slow and chain summon animations. Nukes arent worth it mana wise.

Don't do this, imo.

Half xp per kill and relying on squishy animation and an ineffective slow is not better xp than just playing like a wizard.

DMN
04-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Don't do this, imo.

Half xp per kill and relying on squishy animation and an ineffective slow is not better xp than just playing like a wizard.

You want get half exp as long as you make sure the animation dies before you finish the mob off.

enjchanter
04-26-2019, 11:10 PM
I feel like there is no question here?

He has experience charming stuff and wants to know how to solo a Solitary target ?

If it's a loot dropping mob, just take the 50% hit and gratz on your loot ?

Maybe he means solo a single target where there is nothing to charm in the immediate area? I would say animation and stun locking would be ideal

We need a little clarification from OP

Qtip
04-27-2019, 02:25 PM
Don't do this, imo.

Tiny daggers are cheap as hell. Just /pet go away, finish mob for full exp and summon another. Still cheaper then using nukes/dots.

At 24, 1 slow and a pet is 230 mana compared to 2 nukes for 200 mana that will only do 250 hp. Thats not factoring in root on nukes breaking your current root. Charming is best route. But if charming isnt an option in your 20s, playing a bootleg mage is the next best option.

Eeamar
04-27-2019, 04:41 PM
I appreciate all of the info. To answer a question above; yes, it's due to not having something available to charm. For example, forest giants in Warslik woods. I can handle the saplings, but they spawn one at a time, rarely in a pair, with the evergreens conning much higher than I can handle. That's just a basic example.

I have no issues charming and double killing pairs. So, my question was really just wanting to see how other enchanters handle this. I just figured it should be easier for me to solo kill a same level mob without running completely out of mana, and sometimes having to gate out. I'm going to try and be more efficient with nukes and incorporate DOTs to see how that works out.

Thanks again for all the info!

Wallicker
04-27-2019, 05:38 PM
More details please what camp and what mob are you after?

Tecmos Deception
04-27-2019, 08:20 PM
Tiny daggers are cheap as hell. Just /pet go away, finish mob for full exp and summon another. Still cheaper then using nukes/dots.

At 24, 1 slow and a pet is 230 mana compared to 2 nukes for 200 mana that will only do 250 hp. Thats not factoring in root on nukes breaking your current root. Charming is best route. But if charming isnt an option in your 20s, playing a bootleg mage is the next best option.

Has the command to kill a summoned pet always worked for chanters?

Zipity
04-28-2019, 11:26 AM
You can reclaim energy as well if pet not super low on hp

deven1313
04-30-2019, 02:13 PM

Another way which I believe gives you full xp is to let the animation do almost all damage in the fight (buff pet and slow the mob so you make sure pet wins). Then when mob is close to dying, mem-blur it to erase aggro then finish it with 1 nuke. Someone correct if I'm wrong, but the mem-blur should yield full xp. With this method, you can keep the same pet. Also be sure to summon/re-claim energy until you get the highest level pet.

Eeamar
04-30-2019, 02:16 PM
Then when mob is at 15-20% health, mem-blur it to erase aggro then finish it with 1 nuke.

I had no idea you could do this. So the mem-blur removes the portion of damage dealt from the pet? This is awesome if true, especially after you have managed to get a max level pet out and setup.

Wallicker
04-30-2019, 05:12 PM
The above method gets you full xp , it’s how I kill a couple guards in hhk while waiting on goblin group and let’s me afk bw. Can just use lvl 4 mez to memblur at like 30% hp then nuke and viola.

deven1313
05-01-2019, 03:59 PM
The above method gets you full xp , it’s how I kill a couple guards in hhk while waiting on goblin group and let’s me afk bw. Can just use lvl 4 mez to memblur at like 30% hp then nuke and viola.

How often does mez actually cause memblur? And, how do you know if it succeeded?

Wallicker
05-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Very often on lower lvl mobs I’d say 75% just make sure your far enough away. It’s very easy to tell when non kos after that I just started popping them twice and hardly ever don’t get full xp. Again make sure your outside their normal aggro range.

Wallicker
05-01-2019, 04:19 PM
They will regain hp at 5% per clip when blurred sorry

deven1313
05-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Very often on lower lvl mobs I’d say 75% just make sure your far enough away. It’s very easy to tell when non kos after that I just started popping them twice and hardly ever don’t get full xp. Again make sure your outside their normal aggro range.

Still not sure how, exactly, how you can tell if the mez actually memblurred them? Is it just that they walk away instead of come after you? Or is there some other specific way to tell?

Zipity
05-01-2019, 05:49 PM
They will immediately start regaining hp at 5% per tick if blurred

deven1313
05-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Ah, I missed that. Thanks!

unleashedd
05-08-2019, 02:00 AM
many mobs do an emote when they initially agro u - memblur worked. also, lvl4 mez seems to be 100% memblur IF cast from behind target

Izmael
05-08-2019, 02:53 AM
If no charm or reverse charm candidates, I dont' see any other practical way to kill a single 45+ mob than to chain your highest animation at it, while keeping slow on the target and haste on the pet, maybe helping it with some stuns if the mob really hurts. Fear can be an option, I suppose, in some select situations.

It's tedious, boring and makes you feel like a level 12 mage, but it's either that or cast enchanter nukes. Everyrthing has been said about enchanter nukes, not to mention that probably 90% of enchanters have no evocation skill, so it's fizzle city ;)

Rimitto
05-11-2019, 12:14 PM
at level 22 here's my adivce.
Go spam quests until you get to 24, buy the next level animation pet and feel OP again. :rolleyes:

20-24 is the FeelsBadMan time of animation pets where the HP value drops off, the damage value drops off, and they are 3 dagger costs per summon.. can get costly inventory-wise.

What I personally did to get past that gap was doing bandit sash quest. It wasn't the best exp in the world but gave tons of money and was fairly easy compared to charm kiting and dying over and over again because RNG decided it hated me 80% of the time instead of that 20% of the time everyone remembers as being "good".

charm is honestly just not worth it below 29. Too much risk vs no good rewards. Quests are really good at the power gap of 20-24, so I suggest hitting up any you can do fast/easy that give you "some" exp.

Nycon43
05-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Charm killed random shit in EK 18-24 with little issue. If you get a shitty break just run to the guards.

Izmael
05-11-2019, 04:35 PM
charm is honestly just not worth it below 29. Too much risk vs no good rewards. Quests are really good at the power gap of 20-24, so I suggest hitting up any you can do fast/easy that give you "some" exp.

I beg to differ.

Charm, in my experience, starts being very much viable in a group situation as soon as you get breeze at level 16.

I emphasize group situation - charm soloing at 16 is probably too unefficient.

But keeping a charmed rogue pet in your 20ish group of 3+ people with a healer watching your back is insanely efficient. Try it some time in MM at the lower camps such as pond or GY.

Hibbs
05-12-2019, 05:13 AM
I appreciate all of the info. To answer a question above; yes, it's due to not having something available to charm. For example, forest giants in Warslik woods. I can handle the saplings, but they spawn one at a time, rarely in a pair, with the evergreens conning much higher than I can handle. That's just a basic example.

When I was a young chanter I also wandered into the giant fort in Warslik Wood.
I must have died half a dozen times trying to charm a giant as a pet. I finally said screw it and went with our animation pet and he chewed through the giants with ease. No need to charm there. Not being oom from trying to get charm to stick I was able to use slow and toss a dot on the giants plus keep pet hasted all the time. I would def bring a few stacks of tiny daggers but don't overlook the animation.. especially that low level.

1asdfasdf1
05-14-2019, 03:43 PM
It wasn't the best exp in the world but gave tons of money and was fairly easy compared to charm kiting and dying over and over again because RNG decided it hated me 80% of the time instead of that 20% of the time everyone remembers as being "good".

This.

Thorondor
05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
at level 22 here's my adivce.
Go spam quests until you get to 24, buy the next level animation pet and feel OP again. :rolleyes:

20-24 is the FeelsBadMan time of animation pets where the HP value drops off, the damage value drops off, and they are 3 dagger costs per summon.. can get costly inventory-wise.

What I personally did to get past that gap was doing bandit sash quest. It wasn't the best exp in the world but gave tons of money and was fairly easy compared to charm kiting and dying over and over again because RNG decided it hated me 80% of the time instead of that 20% of the time everyone remembers as being "good".

When leveling Throndor, my first toon on the server, I used animations off n on throughout the leveling process. Soloing with Charm wasn't really viable without a GGRing, didn't have the money for sow pots so I was often base runspeed and that just wasn't a risk worth undertaking until mob DPS scales far beyond the sword pet post-30.

Charming was pretty much reserved for groups where I could rely on healer support.

I would advise untwinked toons use animations as a primary, and reserve charming for situations where you have the support of a group, or to serve as the puller in the group atmosphere until they get 200+CHA which seems to be the magic number on this server for charm stability.

Being able to chain-pull a dungeon while the melee just hop from mob to mob turning attack on is a bigger contribution to the group than anything else, and will take you a lot farther once you can do it while also keeping a pet charmed for DPS thru the 50s grind, but I tend to play a dirtier chanter playstyle where ill just wantonly pull mobs 3 or 4 at a time on the group and deal with the challenges intrinsic to swarming endless parades of mobs into the camp as they arise.

Sacer
05-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Soloing for exp on a chanter is just never efficient, I would be really curious how breaking charm and nuke for full exp compare to just haste/torch a pet and just concede half the exp. Pretty sure it would be close at least in the areas where you can't mana tap constantly.

Just duo with literally any class and it will make your life so much easier and the exp will be better, plus it's fun to figure out how to make the best of weird duos.

Thorondor
05-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Soloing for exp on a chanter is just never efficient, I would be really curious how breaking charm and nuke for full exp compare to just haste/torch a pet and just concede half the exp. Pretty sure it would be close at least in the areas where you can't mana tap constantly.

Just duo with literally any class and it will make your life so much easier and the exp will be better, plus it's fun to figure out how to make the best of weird duos.

Yep.

At earlier levels, I would think duoing with a druid may outshine duoing with a shaman/cleric due to the snare on pet and mob. You wouldn't want to heal the pet anyways. Just throw two mobs at each other, invis to break charm and finish both off snared as necessary.

Crawdad
05-15-2019, 01:32 PM

I just want to show a quick comparison for what "efficient" can mean. My baby Enchanter is currently killing dwarves in Kaladim. Here's how it breaks down compared to a Necro using Splurt (which is silly mana efficient for its level) against the same mobs (https://wiki.project1999.com/Guard_Cardaff):

Enchanter:
Charm-195 mana
Tash- 30 mana
Root x2-60 mana
Discordant Mind x2-480 mana
Two dead mobs for ~765 mana/383 mana each

Necro:
Splurt x2-480 mana
Enstill x2- 120mana
One dead mob for 600 mana, plus minor pet damage to finish it off

Charming is obscenely mana efficient. Will you have charm breaks? Sure, but its comparable to other classes dealing with full resists (and pour one out for classes who worry about partial resists).

I 100% agree, duo'ing is much more fun and easier. But Enchanter soloing is silly efficient unless you can kill without using mana.

Izmael
05-15-2019, 01:58 PM
You forgot to factor in charm breaks, fizzles, resists (hello enc nukes) and runes. Also downtime sitting regening HP because you lose some every once in a while.

I don't know how much more efficient is ENC charm soloing than necro root/rotting. Necros have a bunch of pretty good spells, and many of them rarely resist if at all.

But yeah, bottom line is, duo with literally anyone for fun and profit.

Crawdad
05-15-2019, 02:00 PM
You forgot to factor in charm breaks, fizzles, resists (hello enc nukes) and runes. Also downtime sitting regening HP because you lose some every once in a while.

Yes, my example is a best case scenario for both. I didn't include charm breaks or fizzles for the ench, and I didn't include lifetapping or roots breaking for the necro. My point is comparing the efficiency of Ench charming versus another efficient solo'ing class. ~400mana for one kill on the Ench versus ~600 mana for one kill on a Necro is a pretty big discrepancy.

Turn it into a short play session: 6000 mana to kill 10 mobs as a Necro, 4000 mana to kill 10 mobs as an Enchanter. I don't know how often you might need to re-Rune/nuke/reset, but I have a hard time believing its 2000 mana's worth.

DMN
05-15-2019, 07:20 PM

I don't know how much more efficient is ENC charm soloing than necro root/rotting. Necros have a bunch of pretty good spells, and many of them rarely resist if at all.

But yeah, bottom line is, duo with literally anyone for fun and profit.

You also won't always be getting the mobs down to the right amount of health to one shot them with your nuke.

Sacer
05-16-2019, 09:36 AM
I just want to show a quick comparison for what "efficient" can mean. My baby Enchanter is currently killing dwarves in Kaladim. Here's how it breaks down compared to a Necro using Splurt (which is silly mana efficient for its level)

I am sorry but root/rot with dots is not crazy efficient, even if you're a necro using splurt, it's actually the slowest way to level a necro. Fear kiting would be a more fair comparaison where you get a lot of free damage from the pet, all the strong solo classes have a form of free damage.

Also you take the perfect scenario, where mobs are 46 or lower so you use the lvl 39 charm, you only need 1 nuke to finish each mob but in reality sometime it takes 2, that or you play risky and sometime pet will die geting you no exp. Also charm will sometime break so you have to cast expensive buffs on yourself constantly to absorb damage and that slows you down as well.

Crawdad
05-16-2019, 10:34 AM
I am sorry but root/rot with dots is not crazy efficient, even if you're a necro using splurt, it's actually the slowest way to level a necro. Fear kiting would be a more fair comparaison where you get a lot of free damage from the pet, all the strong solo classes have a form of free damage.

Also you take the perfect scenario, where mobs are 46 or lower so you use the lvl 39 charm, you only need 1 nuke to finish each mob but in reality sometime it takes 2, that or you play risky and sometime pet will die geting you no exp. Also charm will sometime break so you have to cast expensive buffs on yourself constantly to absorb damage and that slows you down as well.

The person I quoted and theorycrafted for earlier didn't say what they meant by "efficient" so I assumed mana. Root rotting isn't time efficient, but it is mana efficient. Fear kiting is quicker, but fear+snare+multiple dots cost more. You get free damage from your pet, but you still need to out damage it for full Exp.

You might need more than one nuke/rebuff/recharm, but again I don't see it costing more than the numbers I posted earlier. I'd really dig it if someone who disagrees with me posted some kind theorycrafting/logs instead of just saying "Well what about resists/fizzles/charm breaks?" since these are all variables nobody can control. Resists/breaks happen, but I don't believe nearly as often as people are suggesting.

DMN
05-16-2019, 10:43 AM
You might need more than one nuke/rebuff/recharm, but again I don't see it costing more than the numbers I posted earlier. I'd really dig it if someone who disagrees with me posted some kind theorycrafting/logs instead of just saying "Well what about resists/fizzles/charm breaks?" since these are all variables nobody can control.

No one can control them but they are much more frequent and costly in both mana and health than root rotting with necro DoTs.. You are also not going to be getting away with using root as an enc soloing at higher levels. Mobs just have too much life.

GnomeCaptain
05-18-2019, 03:19 PM

This is completely false.

Solo is the most efficient exp possible for an Enchanter.

I've been in many monster groups that just mow stuff down. A couple rogues and a great tank with constant pulls.

And it's crap exp compared to charming.

If you think Enchanter is weak and/or inefficient solo then you probably need to work at it a bit more.

Crawdad
05-18-2019, 07:52 PM
No one can control them but they are much more frequent and costly in both mana and health than root rotting with necro DoTs.. You are also not going to be getting away with using root as an enc soloing at higher levels. Mobs just have too much life.

They for sure are, and Necros have it very easy. I gave a link to the mobs for my theorycrafting, its a spot both Enchs and Necros have an easy time Exp'ing at with Charming vs Root rotting at 49-53 that I've personally done. At different levels you're going to have different spell line-ups, but the comparison isn't going to be very different. If anything, its biased for the Necro for not including DoT duration time. You could argue that Necros can afford to be more mana inefficient because of lich/lifetap, and they generally have less problems when things go wrong. But Enchs can afford those mistakes using less mana and doing more damage with the mana spent than Necros.

Solo is the most efficient exp possible for an Enchanter.

I've been in many monster groups that just mow stuff down. A couple rogues and a great tank with constant pulls.

And it's crap exp compared to charming.

If you think Enchanter is weak and/or inefficient solo then you probably need to work at it a bit more.
Agreed, this thread has me feeling like I'm taking crazy pills.

Sacer
05-18-2019, 11:13 PM
This is completely false.

I am saying it's not efficient solo compare to a duo, you either waste mana or concede half the exp, but even in those conditions a solo enchanter exp very fast I never said otherwise.

I actually did my whole lvl 59 on my ench conceding half the exp to my pet cause I was tired of breaking charm constantly, and it barely took a week.

Izmael
05-19-2019, 03:55 AM
Just speaking from experience (leveled several necros and enchanters to various levels, both classes to 60 at least once).

It always felt like soloing for exp on a necro is faster than on an enc. Also safer - and this adds to the exp gain speed. One unlucky encounter with RNG on enchanter and you need to sit there for 10 minutes regening HP. On a necro you just FD or harmshield / kite if applicable, can tap a low level mob or eye for HP, etc.

Fizzles and resists are more of a factor for enchanter than for necro.

- Necro has unlimited mana starting quite early in levels with Lich spells, and it can be triggered at will. Enc starts having unlimited mana at 51 with ToT (previous spell is quite weak), and you need to tap a caster mob for it (not always available, or dies before ToT refreshes, or you are full mana at the time you can tap, etc, etc).

- Necro nukes (taps) are almost unresistable. Enc nukes have a stun component and (partial) resist quite a bit even after tash, on relevant level mobs.

- Dots don't break (charms does all the time)

- Dots don't rape the necro (broken charms rape the enc)

So yeah. I love both classes but enjoy exp soloing so much more on a necro.

Tecmos Deception
05-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Just speaking from experience (leveled several necros and enchanters to various levels, both classes to 60 at least once).

It always felt like soloing for exp on a necro is faster than on an enc. Also safer - and this adds to the exp gain speed. One unlucky encounter with RNG on enchanter and you need to sit there for 10 minutes regening HP. On a necro you just FD or harmshield / kite if applicable, can tap a low level mob or eye for HP, etc.

Fizzles and resists are more of a factor for enchanter than for necro.

- Necro has unlimited mana starting quite early in levels with Lich spells, and it can be triggered at will. Enc starts having unlimited mana at 51 with ToT (previous spell is quite weak), and you need to tap a caster mob for it (not always available, or dies before ToT refreshes, or you are full mana at the time you can tap, etc, etc).

- Necro nukes (taps) are almost unresistable. Enc nukes have a stun component and (partial) resist quite a bit even after tash, on relevant level mobs.

- Dots don't break (charms does all the time)

- Dots don't rape the necro (broken charms rape the enc)

So yeah. I love both classes but enjoy exp soloing so much more on a necro.

These are solid points. And I'm not sure I'd disagree that necros can xp faster than chanters. But to be fair, every one of your pros for a necro has a different side to the story too. Chanter nukes are resistable... but tashed xp mobs basically never resist anything at all past level 20 regardless. Dots don't endanger the necro like charms endanger the chanter... but charms have a lot of potential that dots don't (reverse charming at 50+ is ridiculously fast xp even if it carries some extra risk). Dots don't try to kill the necro... but played well, charms don't kill the chanter 95+% lf the time either. Etc.

They're both great classes. They're both great solo. Charming is hands down the best solo option for the chanter and arguably the best option for the necro. They probably xp at similar rates when played by similarly skilled players.

Necro solo is more versatile in ways (root rot? Charm? Fear kite? Pet just to add some DPS? Self healing, feign, snare, etc.) and safer (self healing, FD, harmshield). Chanter solo is more versatile in ways (universal calm and charm, mana regen not reliant on lifetaps and vs casters wm/tot surpass necro regen, etc) and purely powerful (tash, slow, aoe stun, aoe mez, better roots, double runes, etc).

GnomeCaptain
05-19-2019, 05:43 PM
I am saying it's not efficient solo compare to a duo, you either waste mana or concede half the exp, but even in those conditions a solo enchanter exp very fast I never said otherwise.

I actually did my whole lvl 59 on my ench conceding half the exp to my pet cause I was tired of breaking charm constantly, and it barely took a week.

Indeed, and though I've found soloing efficient I was a little harsh in saying "completely false."

A great duo is likely the best.