PDA

View Full Version : Starting to get frustrated :(

Isey
03-20-2019, 07:07 AM
Definitely the core EQ experience! :)

My main is an enchanter - LVL 12 and I've been stuck there for 4 days. CB is hard to get groups (so busy) and soloing there with whatever yard trash is available (light greens) doesn't move the needle.

Went to unrest, and no groups there for low teens (even with 40 people in zone) so I went to Steamfont to solo Minos and charm rarely lasts long enough to justify the mana cost. I keep dying now, further compounding the frustration. Made it back to windmills with 3% health and 1% mana and Halv wouldn't attack the rogue clockwork on my tail. Is he on the take? :)

Can't afford gear - heck, can't even afford my spells! Found some nice people to guild with so chatting is fun, but playing the game is quickly not becoming fun.

You can tell the server is dominated by alts and twins from the longtime players based on the low level charts fully decked out and there is an equal dose of envy and jealousy there too. You think "someday I can get there, when my chanter is high enough to farm for gear for alts" but then you read all of the spawns are always taken.

Definitely the core EQ experience :)

(I know it sounds negative, put a smattering of smiley faces throughout as I get it - I beta'd and played EQ core for many years at launch. Just sharing the new player frustration to vent and take a deep breath...)

kjs86z
03-20-2019, 07:39 AM
Just stay with it!

Stay in CB, keep LFG on and do a "/ooc XX Enc LFG!" every half hour or so. Solo what you can at zone in, and look for other people near entrance to start a duo, build it into a trio, etc.

Once you hit 16 you get breeze and haste (quickness). Find a tank / monk + healer and off you go in a great trio.

You're in the most difficult part of the game. Keep going.

I can't play for the next couple of days, but hit me up this weekend I have some old cheap enc gear in my bank.

Lurgort/Sseri
03-20-2019, 07:53 AM
I started off with nothing August of last year. Tailored my own Raw Silk, grouped in Kurn's, left with 600pp in bonechips from 9-20 and probably a couple hundred in fine steel drops.

If you played in beta and played the real game for a few years, you have thick skin already! Stick with it, or if you don't find it fun, there's a ton of other games out there that're fun. Devil May Cry 5 and Ace Combat 7 to name a couple.

DMN
03-20-2019, 08:03 AM
I started off with nothing August of last year. Tailored my own Raw Silk, grouped in Kurn's, left with 600pp in bonechips from 9-20 and probably a couple hundred in fine steel drops.

If you played in beta and played the real game for a few years, you have thick skin already! Stick with it, or if you don't find it fun, there's a ton of other games out there that're fun. Devil May Cry 5 and Ace Combat 7 to name a couple.

How is he getting to kurns? The dude is a newb you expect him to get to kurns? And how did you get spells? he's not going to have money to buy his stuff in advance.

Reality is low level enchanter is pretty gritty. You just gotta find a way to grind through it. Try a different class if you can't hack it. You probably picked enchanter because you read how uber it is later on. This is your price of admission.

Lickum
03-20-2019, 08:13 AM
Remember, with a server full of fat cats they are willing to pay for low level duties that they themselves don't want to farm. Bonechips are a good one, I've seen some people selling in EC for 8-10pp per stack, that'd get you started for sure.

Isey
03-20-2019, 08:15 AM
How is he getting to kurns? The dude is a newb you expect him to get to kurns? And how did you get spells? he's not going to have money to buy his stuff in advance.

Reality is low level enchanter is pretty gritty. You just gotta find a way to grind through it. Try a different class if you can't hack it. You probably picked enchanter because you read how uber it is later on. This is your price of admission.

I had a 55 warrior and 55 enchanter on Test back in live / launch era, but yeah, did not remember things being THIS tough. I mean, rose colored glasses and all that no doubt.

Getting to 12 was fun, just hit a weird bump in the road. Will grind through it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone =)

(PS - when did the Mino Lord get added? I remembered camping at the wheelbarrow for hours as a low level Gnome, now he is constantly in the area ruining all the fun =P

elwing
03-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Beetles and zombies are great exp at 12 to solo as a chanter in unrest...

DMN
I had a 55 warrior and 55 enchanter on Test back in live / launch era, but yeah, did not remember things being THIS tough. I mean, rose colored glasses and all that no doubt.

Getting to 12 was fun, just hit a weird bump in the road. Will grind through it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone =)

(PS - when did the Mino Lord get added? I remembered camping at the wheelbarrow for hours as a low level Gnome, now he is constantly in the area ruining all the fun =P

What were your test server names?

Lurgort/Sseri
OP, "Dial A Port" are very friendly and probably wouldn't mind buffing / porting you to EJ so you can head to Kurn's Tower if you send a tell to one of them and state you're new, looking to get out of the difficult low levels. Zone experience mod is insane in there!

theonesler
03-20-2019, 08:25 AM
If you're just wanting to make it out of your rut I'd head to West Commonlands and either kill roaming mobs or derv camp. Usually tons of people at rings so it's not hard to get some helpful cleric, shaman, druid, or enchanter buffs to make the process easier. I leveled from 3-15 in WC very quickly.

Isey
03-20-2019, 08:46 AM
What were your test server names?

Braack (War) and Dagome (Enc)

Isey
03-20-2019, 08:48 AM
Beetles and zombies are great exp at 12 to solo as a chanter in unrest...

I made the mistake of charming them (which doesn't stick well) and probably just should have had my pet out. AT level 12 the pet is stronger than the charmed mob (so it seems) with no break chance.

DMN
03-20-2019, 08:56 AM
Braack (War) and Dagome (Enc)

I seem to faintly recall the names. I probably ported you before on my druid (Daman). Christ, I think I ported everyone on the server at least once LOL. Boats would break down for days and I was the only druid who could port. for a long time.

Isey
03-20-2019, 09:17 AM
I seem to faintly recall the names. I probably ported you before on my druid (Daman). Christ, I think I ported everyone on the server at least once LOL. Boats would break down for days and I was the only druid who could port. for a long time.

Ha! I think so as well. They were guilded in The Grove, you probably recognize Darkcicle, Velm, Priis and Ozmandius more (from the guild) as they were more involved in high end activities and I think some of them ended up with Primal Brood in the end.

Most did I think =P

YendorLootmonkey
03-20-2019, 09:32 AM
What is your character's name? I'm usually around the Gfay area helping low levels with buffs and tanking mobs for them to help the XP flow... if I see you on, I can come help you if I am not busy.

magikot
03-20-2019, 10:02 AM
What I did when I was in that same situation on my mage was go to CB, solo camp trainer hill with lfg tag on and saying in ooc every half hr or so that you're lfg. Once you have it broken you can do the full round and pull one of the wandering orcs up to you and still have enough time to med to full.

With your charmed pet you should have no issue with the hill at level 12.

If you can get into the sisters camp in LFay either solo or duo you can level there until 18 or so and rake in over 1kpp from 12-18. After that you should be golden.

You can also do some really good quests at your level which will help you out down the line, starting with the Crude Stein quest for a massive charisma boost.

You could also start taking up Jewelcrafting and just sell low level jewelry for small but consistent sums of money.

Zeush
03-20-2019, 10:11 AM
The mino camp in SF is very easy to solo with your pet at lvl 12. Just make sure your pet con's blue to you, Haze and strengthen it. Pull with either Languid pace or tash, I pulled with tash. Whether it resists or sticks, run back a bit, I ran back past the tree and use that as a point of reference to pull to/past just in case it decided to walk back towards the camp when it was low health. Start casting root at the point you want to fight it and let it hit you so your pet taunts. Also, throw a few dagger pokes in. Back away and let pet taunt and hit. I wait until my pet does at least 10-20 dmg then I cast Choke and Languid Pace if it didn't stick on pull. Watch Choke ticks and reapply after the fifth tick. If your pet is taking too much damage, get in there and aggro until your pet gets more health back, then back out and sit. Consider your pet a dot that you can refresh by taking a few punches :) until it gets health back. At this level soloing, root is your best friend.

This is fresh in my mind because I just left the Mino's and I am now in WC hunting Dervs at lvl 14 and figuring them out. Dervs are a challenge solo with an Enchanter because you can get up to 3-4 on a pull if soothe doesn't stick lol. But you shouldn't have a problem finding a duo partner for that camp.

I'm not twinked and only have a few pieces of cloth, my noob robe and standard issue *Dagger ;)

Isey
03-20-2019, 10:27 AM
The mino camp in SF is very easy to solo with your pet at lvl 12. Just make sure your pet con's blue to you, Haze and strengthen it. Pull with either Languid pace or tash, I pulled with tash. Whether it resists or sticks, run back a bit, I ran back past the tree and use that as a point of reference to pull to/past just in case it decided to walk back towards the camp when it was low health. Start casting root at the point you want to fight it and let it hit you so your pet taunts. Also, throw a few dagger pokes in. Back away and let pet taunt and hit. I wait until my pet does at least 10-20 dmg then I cast Choke and Languid Pace if it didn't stick on pull. Watch Choke ticks and reapply after the fifth tick. If your pet is taking too much damage, get in there and aggro until your pet gets more health back, then back out and sit. Consider your pet a dot that you can refresh by taking a few punches :) until it gets health back. At this level soloing, root is your best friend.

This is fresh in my mind because I just left the Mino's and I am now in WC hunting Dervs at lvl 14 and figuring them out. Dervs are a challenge solo with an Enchanter because you can get up to 3-4 on a pull if soothe doesn't stick lol. But you shouldn't have a problem finding a duo partner for that camp.

I'm not twinked and only have a few pieces of cloth, my noob robe and standard issue *Dagger ;)

I was having good luck there, but the Minotaur Lord would aggro through walls sometimes when I pulled a slaver. He was pathing right where the camp was frequently it felt.

bigjeff100
03-20-2019, 10:39 AM

My main is an enchanter - LVL 12 and I've been stuck there for 4 days. CB is hard to get groups (so busy) and soloing there with whatever yard trash is available (light greens) doesn't move the needle.

Went to unrest, and no groups there for low teens (even with 40 people in zone) so I went to Steamfont to solo Minos and charm rarely lasts long enough to justify the mana cost. I keep dying now, further compounding the frustration. Made it back to windmills with 3% health and 1% mana and Halv wouldn't attack the rogue clockwork on my tail. Is he on the take? :)

Can't afford gear - heck, can't even afford my spells! Found some nice people to guild with so chatting is fun, but playing the game is quickly not becoming fun.

You can tell the server is dominated by alts and twins from the longtime players based on the low level charts fully decked out and there is an equal dose of envy and jealousy there too. You think "someday I can get there, when my chanter is high enough to farm for gear for alts" but then you read all of the spawns are always taken.

(I know it sounds negative, put a smattering of smiley faces throughout as I get it - I beta'd and played EQ core for many years at launch. Just sharing the new player frustration to vent and take a deep breath...)

U online now? I can hop on my druid and toss u some buffs and a few bucks to get ya goin??? Let me know!

mcoy
03-20-2019, 11:08 AM
Which mino camp are you at? I've found the one by the lfay zoneline much easier. Plus the zone is right there if you get a bad pull. There are 3 spawns on a ~ 7 minute timer and you can single pull each if you tash from the right angles. They started greening out at 15 but I still dinged 16 off them.

-Mcoy

Bardp1999
03-20-2019, 11:31 AM
The low levels are a beating. Enchanter starts to become really powerful the more you level. Keep pushing levels and don't give up and the game gets infinitely more enjoyable.

At level 12 I would probably head to Oasis, lots of groups always going on there.

bigjeff100
03-20-2019, 11:31 AM
300pp hand delivered to homey and his guildie at trainer hill! Potg and full druid buffs as well! They got the starter package and should be good to go!!! Safe hunting you 2!

Isey
03-20-2019, 01:33 PM
Which mino camp are you at? I've found the one by the lfay zoneline much easier. Plus the zone is right there if you get a bad pull. There are 3 spawns on a ~ 7 minute timer and you can single pull each if you tash from the right angles. They started greening out at 15 but I still dinged 16 off them.

-Mcoy

Ah, I was in the caves proper. That makes WAY more sense.

At launch we farmed there safely, so was going off of 20 years ago LOL

Isey
03-20-2019, 01:34 PM
300pp hand delivered to homey and his guildie at trainer hill! Potg and full druid buffs as well! They got the starter package and should be good to go!!! Safe hunting you 2!

Was epic. Almost level 14 today before buff ran out. Bought all teh spells I wanted and much in the bank. Feel great. Thanks again, I will pay it forward when I can!

marquisxxx
03-20-2019, 01:38 PM
My suggestions for a level 12 enchanter: ditch Faydark and get to commons. Either join a dervish or orc group there, or even better: when you are able, start killing wisps (your animation can hit them, you nuke/dot). Save the lightstones and greater lightstones. Invis through to EK and turn in the lightstones at the bandit camp. Great money and great exp. You can easily do this to 16th (I did this to 18th on my bard).

Use your animation. He's very tough at low levels. Charming takes too much mana at level 12. When you hit 20 or 24, try charming crag spiders in EK. they're slow and weak. Use or sell the silks.

Tecmos Deception
03-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Don't group; all groups except the best groups that have an entire zone to themselves are pretty shit experience. If you really don't like solo, just duo-trio with some combination of cleric, shaman, druid, necro, mage, enchanter, wizard.

Charm is a pain at low levels but is definitely worth it when you are fighting JUST the right enemies (it's a small sweet spot - too high level (even when still a blue con) and charm breaks too much, too low level and they're green cons).

Don't try to buy all your spells; 2/3 of them are pretty pointless.

But yeah otherwise you're pretty close to classic EQ imo, lol. There weren't as many twinks on live, but lately p99 is nearly as crowded as in-era servers were, and we certainly have the quirky mechanics and stuff you'd see back in the day too.

bigjeff100
03-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Was epic. Almost level 14 today before buff ran out. Bought all teh spells I wanted and much in the bank. Feel great. Thanks again, I will pay it forward when I can!

That's all i ask!! Holler for anything man!

Champion_Standing
03-20-2019, 02:26 PM
Bum a port to WC and kill wisps, a couple greater lightstone turn ins will get you enough plat to get caught up on spells and you're probably gonna find groups a little easier at prime time over that way anyway. CB, Unrest, MM are tiny and packed because of the high ZEM and you should expect to wait around for quite a while at prime time to get in a group there. 40 people in unrest is crazy, you would be better off exping in a lower zem zone where you actually have mobs to kill.

Clazxiss
03-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Come to Red. We host organized leveling groups and the XP modifier helps newbies, like yourself, get to a level in which they can visit some zones and farm gear.

Arcticflava
03-20-2019, 03:37 PM
If you need money go solo camp the Nybright sisters in Lesser Faydark near Mistmore zone line, it is the best money you can possibly make inthe teens. Aftet they green out camp the 2 sisters in OOT for even better money.

6 minute respawns!

loramin
03-20-2019, 04:07 PM
If you need money go solo camp the Nybright sisters in Lesser Faydark near Mistmore zone line, it is the best money you can possibly make inthe teens. Aftet they green out camp the 2 sisters in OOT for even better money.

6 minute respawns!

It's a very popular camp though, good luck getting it.

Gatorsmash
03-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Level 12 till 14 ish I wanted to kill myself. Horrible experience till you get past that and can charm kill mobs for decent xp.

Nagoya
03-20-2019, 10:42 PM
i've had my enchanter parked at level 13 for about 2 years now.

good luck on your new adventure isey!

Hibbs
03-20-2019, 11:02 PM
Hey dude! I know guks been pretty full lately but spiders in there are awesome at that lvl. Gems & Silk. Also Guk has one of the best ZeM around that level. I would check with /who all guktop before making the hike though.

Quinas
03-21-2019, 06:24 AM
These guides are all very useful:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Xornns_Enchanter_Guide
https://wiki.project1999.com/Xornn%27s_Enchanter_Spell_Guide
https://wiki.project1999.com/Loraen%27s_Enchanter_Guide

commongood
03-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Glad you made it through level 12 :)

Most caster classes are pretty painful to play until at least level 20 or so. The first 10-15 levels your character is a pale immitation of what it will become later with access to only a minority of the spell lines they will have at their disposal later.

Clench those butt cheeks and get through it :) The chanter is amazing later in life and I'd say already at level 16 when you get breeze you will start to feel like you can do/contribute more.

Supreme
03-21-2019, 09:14 AM
Turn in Orc Scalps till 20..then gob ears till 24..then do Goblins till 36..then charm kill till 60.

Quinas
03-21-2019, 09:16 AM
Turn in Orc Scalps till 20..then gob ears till 24..then do Goblins till 36..then charm kill till 60.

Rough cost of that? :D

Isey
03-21-2019, 09:41 AM
Quick update - things are smooth as silk right now. Handling the mino camp great (almost level 15) with 16 - and breeze - in sight.

Appreciate all the suggestions in here, and the plat gift obviously took away a lot of the future stress of what I need to do. Chugging along in a good spot now. Over the hump, so to speak.

Kalamurv
03-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Low levels for chanters is brutal, especially this super weird area from 12-24 (ya breeze helps but still its weird leveling in that range). Its definitely far harder than other classes but the pay out in the end is so worth it.

bigjeff100
03-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Quick update - things are smooth as silk right now. Handling the mino camp great (almost level 15) with 16 - and breeze - in sight.

Appreciate all the suggestions in here, and the plat gift obviously took away a lot of the future stress of what I need to do. Chugging along in a good spot now. Over the hump, so to speak.

My man!!! Glad to see you cruisin along!

Nexii
03-21-2019, 09:40 PM
IMO the summoned animation is better than charming at least till 16. Charm is hard on mana and has low duration

At 16 you'll get more groups, breeze and quickness. Really all you gotta do then is buff twinked out melees and do a little crowd control when its dicey. Casters are weak at low levels so typically you're better off grouping

wagorf
03-21-2019, 10:37 PM
OP i totally get you, i do.

enchanter from level 1 through 16 is plain brutal, you are weak, your spells are bad, you can't really play a "chanter", you are just a pos that can't do anything right

lvl 11-19, seriously, the easiest xp place is probably oasis - zone is somewhat easy with non-kos crocs/caimens, plenty of spawns/camps, plenty of players

and your assumption was right, enchanter will be your farming toon when you get high level, it doesn't matter how "overly" camped p99, of all the classes enchanter is highly sought out for group farming, and you will be able to solo farm as well

Isey
03-22-2019, 04:52 AM
OP i totally get you, i do.

enchanter from level 1 through 16 is plain brutal, you are weak, your spells are bad, you can't really play a "chanter", you are just a pos that can't do anything right

lvl 11-19, seriously, the easiest xp place is probably oasis - zone is somewhat easy with non-kos crocs/caimens, plenty of spawns/camps, plenty of players

and your assumption was right, enchanter will be your farming toon when you get high level, it doesn't matter how "overly" camped p99, of all the classes enchanter is highly sought out for group farming, and you will be able to solo farm as well

Yup, and got over the 16 hump. Did Minos in Steamfont to 15 and Nybright sisters to 16. All with animation out and made a couple hundred plat too :)

In unrest now, buffing and messing. Feels like a whole new game already over the hump :)

unleashedd
03-25-2019, 04:57 AM
new p99 player reporting, basically naked ench:

12-18 lfay bandit sisters
18-22 oasis crocs
22-27 mm pond

Gravydoo II
03-25-2019, 09:39 AM
Im 19 ench and I hate myself. It's soo tedious.

Nirgon
03-25-2019, 11:03 AM
You barely push buttons in this game and ur a caster

bigjeff100
03-25-2019, 11:06 AM
You barely push buttons in this game and ur a caster

I think at this point in the thread, he has things figured out Nirgon. Thanks for your ever so valuable input as always.