Mana: 360 Skill: Alteration
Casting Time: 3.2 Recast Time: 1.5
Fizzle Time: 1.5 Resist: Disease
Resist Adjust: -150 Range: 200
Deletable: No Reflectable: Yes
Focusable: Yes Dispellable: Yes
Interruptable: Yes Target Type: Lifetap
Spell Type: Detrimental Source: Live 01/29
Other cast: Soandso 's hands take on a sickly green aura.
Cast on you: Your body withers from the gangrenous touch of Zum`uul.
Cast on other: Soandso 's body withers from the gangrenous touch of Zum`uul.
Game Description
Touches your target with the hand of the plague, draining your target of life energy, siphoning between 720 and @1 damage.

How good is this spell? The obvious comparison would be to Deflux (https://wiki.project1999.com/Deflux). I always have Deflux memmed if I'm soloing. When soloing harder content (summoning and unfearable mobs) it usually involves having pet tank and stepping in from time to time to "deflux-tank" i.e. spamming Deflux GCD-clicky.

Now "Touch" is nearly double the mana of Deflux but it drains (and nukes) for more than twice the amount. This is obviously a pretty good upgrade but is it "game changing" in any way? So for instance, you can use the "deflux tanking" method to solo the A4 halflings but A4 TwentyTwo will rip you to shreds. He hits a bit harder (only 180 up from 155) but he also has a significantly higher amount of HP. Would this spell shift the balance enough to make a mob like TwentyTwo doable? Or not? Are there any other sort of content you can think of where having this spell will be decisive?

People seem to be attempting to charge Torpor-level money for this spell and I'm just trying to work out how badly I should be wanting this :)

DinoTriz2
02-26-2019, 10:11 AM
I believe it's a Disease based Lifetap, rather than Magic.

commongood
02-26-2019, 10:12 AM
I believe it's a Disease based Lifetap, rather than Magic.

Correct.

Ortnit
02-26-2019, 10:41 AM
Did that spell go in with Chardok 2.0?

commongood
02-26-2019, 10:43 AM
Did that spell go in with Chardok 2.0?

Waiting to see an actual scroll linked but yeah it certainly seems so. At least two people on this forum are "WTS" in East Commonlands subforum

enjchanter
02-26-2019, 11:30 AM
Pretty meh imo

Cool name, yes
Game changing, no

zaneosak
02-26-2019, 01:59 PM
I can't tell from the mumbo jumbo in the OP but this should be 100% identical to bond of death as far as mana and hp.

Bond of Death is 360mana for 720hp over Time.
Deflux is 198 mana for 315 hp immediately.

I guess the new one is more efficient than Deflux if thats the case.

Ortnit
02-26-2019, 05:08 PM
If it's in that would be awesome.
I remember the Spell from live.

It's basically Touch of Night (lvl 59, so a DD) but disease based.

What i don't remember is the cast time and Manacost.
If the above is correct, this spell provides Necros with a huge DPS increase on short burns.
Of course you will go oom quite quick though.

Maybe i don't remember it as that upgrade, because i got it in Luclin-Era, when we already had more efficient Lifetaps? I can't say.

Ortnit
02-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Deflux is 198 mana for 315 hp immediately.

Small correction:
Deflux does 330dmg max.

DMN
02-26-2019, 06:06 PM
If I'm soloing I'm not going to try dipping that low in life. If i'm grouping it's never going on the spellbar. Anyone charging topor like amounts have a stupidity level so high that only the potential buyer could possible exceed it.

enjchanter
02-26-2019, 10:35 PM
If I'm soloing I'm not going to try dipping that low in life. If i'm grouping it's never going on the spellbar. Anyone charging topor like amounts have a stupidity level so high that only the potential buyer could possible exceed it.

^^

Spell probably capping out at like 8k max and that's shock factor included.

Dont get why ppl think just cuz it's new it's worth 100k +

Foxplay
02-26-2019, 11:47 PM
Much like the magic based 720 lifetap probably won't go on bar very often over vex or deflux

Since it's new maybe 5k or so , anything more it's not worth it because it does nothing new to what a necromancer can already do with vendor and other drop spells aside from being disease based

Anyone charging torpor amounts is over inflating how much they think it's worth based on "it's new" only person stupider as someone else said would be the person that pays torpor kind of plat for a spell that is not a that much of a changer anyway

commongood
02-27-2019, 04:43 AM
I agree that if anyone thinks it should cost 50k+ it's probably a bit of an overestimation to put it mildly.

But I don't know. One guy had it for sale. Someone posted "offering 55k" but the guy still has it for sale and is bumping his thread for several days since.

Those "55k" is the only mention of a price I've seen so there isn't a lot to base things on.

Might have been a friend of his trying to build hype or whatever. If 55k offer was legit then the guy turned it down.

Having said all that I do think it might be better than Deflux. I mostly use Deflux when needing to burn down hard-hitting mobs solo. It might sound trivial but soloing in Kael for instance. I could see double the dmg and healing at (almost) the same cast time would be nice. Even at nearly double the mana. But I won't be getting this till the price comes down.

DMN
02-27-2019, 02:11 PM
I agree that if anyone thinks it should cost 50k+ it's probably a bit of an overestimation to put it mildly.

But I don't know. One guy had it for sale. Someone posted "offering 55k" but the guy still has it for sale and is bumping his thread for several days since.

Those "55k" is the only mention of a price I've seen so there isn't a lot to base things on.

Might have been a friend of his trying to build hype or whatever. If 55k offer was legit then the guy turned it down.

Having said all that I do think it might be better than Deflux. I mostly use Deflux when needing to burn down hard-hitting mobs solo. It might sound trivial but soloing in Kael for instance. I could see double the dmg and healing at (almost) the same cast time would be nice. Even at nearly double the mana. But I won't be getting this till the price comes down.

Wait... is the cast time 3 seconds on this spell? Cause I think it's supposed to be 6 seconds, just like touch of night.

commongood
02-27-2019, 02:17 PM
Wait... is the cast time 3 seconds on this spell? Cause I think it's supposed to be 6 seconds, just like touch of night.

According to allakazam http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1393

DMN
02-27-2019, 02:30 PM
According to allakazam http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1393

This is probably an error if ineed it's 3 seonds cast time. I think touch of night and tihis spell would be viirtually identical outside of night being based on MR and Gangrenous on DR.

commongood
02-27-2019, 02:31 PM
This is probably an error if ineed it's 3 seonds cast time. I think touch of night and tihis spell would be viirtually identical outside of night being based on MR and Gangrenous on DR.

If that’s the case I will be content never scribing it tbh.

DMN
02-27-2019, 02:48 PM
If that’s the case I will be content never scribing it tbh.

From what I recall the spell was added when necros were still getting fucked over from the lifetap nerfs. Basically allowing them to tap a few more mobs mostly in raid content. So it was still somewhat useful for raiding necros.

I don't think they adjusted the lifetap cast times for several years after velious. At which point i believe both night and gangrenous were dropped down to 3 seconds like deflux.

DMN
02-27-2019, 03:37 PM
I can't edit my previous post, but having read through the comments on allakhazam , not a single one mentions the cast speed(obviously 6 verus 3 is massive difference for pure DPS dumping), even as players question why they would ever use the spell over touch of night. I don't think it's likely no one mentioned the cast speed in those exchanges.

Touch of night entry suggests 2005 is when they changed the cast speed on it down to 3 seconds.

pasi
02-27-2019, 08:24 PM
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhistory.html?id=1393&source=Live

2005-04-12 13:05 Changed Casting Time from 6.0 seconds to 3.2 seconds
2005-04-12 13:05 Changed Mana cost from 415 to 360

DMN
02-27-2019, 08:34 PM
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spellhistory.html?id=1393&source=Live

2005-04-12 13:05 Changed Casting Time from 6.0 seconds to 3.2 seconds
2005-04-12 13:05 Changed Mana cost from 415 to 360

Nice, thanks. I haven't lost my mind quite yet, it seems. Caveat emptor, necromancers.

Bardp1999
02-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Yea it seems like an extremely minor "upgrade" if you can even call it that. I will honestly probably still just keep using Deflux or Touch of Night TBH. Kind of sucks that one of our new spells is as redundant as it gets.

Anyone who pays more than a couple of K for this is pretty dumb.

Foxplay
02-27-2019, 11:55 PM
Wait a second.... Initial entry 2002-03-07

Luclin came out December 4, 2001... should this spell even be on p99? Or did Allakazam just slack off for over a year to get it into their database?

DMN
02-28-2019, 01:22 AM
Wait a second.... Initial entry 2002-03-07

Luclin came out December 4, 2001... should this spell even be on p99? Or did Allakazam just slack off for over a year to get it into their database?

I think that's just when they started their database.

pasi
02-28-2019, 03:23 AM
You can go and wayback lucy.fnord.net.

Allakhazam took over the lucy project in 2003.

Endorra
03-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Necro spells being a disappointment is as classic as it gets.

Troxx
03-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Necro spells being a disappointment is as classic as it gets.

The total necro toolkit is in no way a disappointment.

Individual spell characteristics to include mana cost and output have to walk a fine balancing tightrope given the lich line of spells and the sheer scope of the necro toolkit (Mez/Root/charm/buffs/heals/taps/dots/nukes/utility/lich/pet).

If dots stacked it would help them a lot.

Regarding this spell? It has a nifty niche use but doesn’t warrant a hefty price tag at all. A few K at the start because it’s new? Sure ... but it’s in no way a necro “torpor” game changer.

Crede
03-01-2019, 01:04 PM
The total necro toolkit is in no way a disappointment.

Individual spell characteristics to include mana cost and output have to walk a fine balancing tightrope given the lich line of spells and the sheer scope of the necro toolkit (Mez/Root/charm/buffs/heals/taps/dots/nukes/utility/lich/pet).

If dots stacked it would help them a lot.

Regarding this spell? It has a nifty niche use but doesn’t warrant a hefty price tag at all. A few K at the start because it’s new? Sure ... but it’s in no way a necro “torpor” game changer.

aka a weaker version of Enc

Troxx
03-01-2019, 03:13 PM
aka a weaker version of Enc

/sarcasm on

I wasn’t aware enchanters had meaningful dots, self heal capabilities, ability to heal others, a summoned pet that is commandable, Rez others, summon corpses, or the ability to directly bolus others with lump wads of mana.

/sarcasm off

Necro and enchanter do overlap in some ways. In those ways, enchanter does win but necro also overlaps with mage, priest classes, and really all dps classes in a sense along with bringing some unique other tools to the table.

You can’t really directly compare necros with any other class in the game. You can compare them but you also have to acknowledge that necro class brings a lot to the table that any comparative class does not.

enjchanter
03-04-2019, 07:53 PM
/sarcasm on

I wasn’t aware enchanters had meaningful dots, self heal capabilities, ability to heal others, a summoned pet that is commandable, Rez others, summon corpses, or the ability to directly bolus others with lump wads of mana.

/sarcasm off

Necro and enchanter do overlap in some ways. In those ways, enchanter does win but necro also overlaps with mage, priest classes, and really all dps classes in a sense along with bringing some unique other tools to the table.

You can’t really directly compare necros with any other class in the game. You can compare them but you also have to acknowledge that necro class brings a lot to the table that any comparative class does not.

+1 , glad Troxx is fighting the good fight for necros

Lub you fauv

Foxplay
03-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Necro offensive power without relying on a charm is a lot stronger than enchanter. Way better for mindless root rotting, or a strong specter pet than can utterly trounce lower lvl zones

Yea the max animation + slow can def get work done. But then you get to Enc direct offensive spells (not counting charm)..... They are pretty laughable

TLDR

Necro is way more well rounded

Enchanter relies HEAVILY on charm

Bardp1999
03-05-2019, 01:19 PM
Necromancers are one the most powerful classes on P99 but there is certainly a power curve that starts to really make them shine 49+. People also get brain washed by the dribble they read on the forums and think any group that isn't TANK/CLR/ENC/ROG/ROG/ROG is sub optimal or that being sub optimal matters AT ALL (Hint, it really doesn't).

After Shadowbond, a necromancer can keep most XP groups fully healed while adding substantial DPS, yet no one thinks of them as a healer for some reason.

The smaller the group, the more powerful the necro is. That is the classes greatest asset and greatest weakness all at the same time.