PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter solo charm questions

deven1313
02-14-2019, 12:43 PM
1. I'm currently level 21 and do not have the Goblin Gazughi Ring. Judging from the prices, I won't have one for a very long time so I'm using invis to break charm. But it looks like Cancel Magic might be better because it has a 3.5 sec cast time vs. 5 sec for invis and uses the same mana (30). I haven't seen any posts about it, would this be a better choice?

2. Can anyone recommend solo hunting grounds for 21-24? I have been to Oasis but the wondering sand giants are a constant worry. EK looks like a safer choice, with no wondering bad guys that I know of. Any other good spots that aren't camped constantly?

3. When Murphy's Law kicks in and root wears off at the same time as charm and both mobs are on you, what's the best thing to do? I have tried stun/re-mez/root to re-gain control of the situation, but sometimes I get resists and/or spell interruptions. Then, I end up running for the zone and unless I have SoW, it usually ends in death. Any advice for that situation?

4. My only CHA item is a Crude Stein and with my spell buff, I get around 150 CHA. What's a good budget item(s) to raise my CHA for less than 100pp?

Thanks in advance!

Crede
02-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Many used Taper Enchantment to break charm. Experiment a bit with it and see how well it works. Also, you can use IVU instead of Invis to break charm. It casts 1 second faster.

I'd recommend LOIO at 21. Great place to practice charm and tons of mobs around.

Your stuns aren't strong enough yet. Color shift starts to change that, some stuns will allow you to recharm. Can't remember if shift + GCD reset(get rod of insidious glamour if you don't have it yet) + level 24ish charm is quick enough to stun them and recharm one. Also, are you keeping maximum casting distance from mobs? If root & charm breaks at once, you should have the space to recharm one and/or root the other. This is where outdoor is key for perfecting charm.

Wiki pre-planar gear guide for your class is the best for finding cheap gear. You can also search each armor slot by class and sorting by CHA.

Highly recommend reading Loraen's Enchanter Guide in the Leveling Guides/Enchanter Section.

Good luck!

Legidias
02-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Kurn's tower basement is good till 24.

EK crag spiders or gorge hounds

deven1313
02-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Many used Taper Enchantment to break charm. Experiment a bit with it and see how well it works. Also, you can use IVU instead of Invis to break charm. It casts 1 second faster.

I'd recommend LOIO at 21. Great place to practice charm and tons of mobs around.

Your stuns aren't strong enough yet. Color shift starts to change that, some stuns will allow you to recharm. Can't remember if shift + GCD reset(get rod of insidious glamour if you don't have it yet) + level 24ish charm is quick enough to stun them and recharm one. Also, are you keeping maximum casting distance from mobs? If root & charm breaks at once, you should have the space to recharm one and/or root the other. This is where outdoor is key for perfecting charm.

Wiki pre-planar gear guide for your class is the best for finding cheap gear. You can also search each armor slot by class and sorting by CHA.

Highly recommend reading Loraen's Enchanter Guide in the Leveling Guides/Enchanter Section.

Good luck!

Thanks. I did try Taper Enchantment but per the wiki, it no longer removes an affect, only reduces the duration. When I tried it, it would sometimes take 3 or more tries to remove charm, making it not nearly as efficient as invis. If Cancel Magic works on the first try, it would be better than invis. I will give it a try tonight.

snyder43
02-14-2019, 02:59 PM
I would go for a two Golden Cat Eye Bracelets (+7 CHA each, ~20-50pp each) If you have money left over, get a Gypsy Medallion, it gives +9 CHA and can usually be bought for 40-100pp. I recently made a list of low-level enchanter items that I wanted to get for my baby enc, so I'll post it here.

Crude Stein 15 CHA
Rod of Insidious Glamour 13 CHA
Siryn Hair Hood 13 CHA
A Gypsy Medallion 9 CHA
Incandescent Mask 7 CHA
Golden Cat Eye Bracelet 7 CHA
Electrum Star Ruby Ring 7 CHA
Drake-hide Leggings 5 CHA
Noble's Robes 5 CHA
Incandescent Gloves 3 CHA

deven1313
02-14-2019, 03:13 PM
I would go for a two Golden Cat Eye Bracelets (+7 CHA each, ~20-50pp each) If you have money left over, get a Gypsy Medallion, it gives +9 CHA and can usually be bought for 40-100pp. I recently made a list of low-level enchanter items that I wanted to get for my baby enc, so I'll post it here.

Crude Stein 15 CHA
Rod of Insidious Glamour 13 CHA
Siryn Hair Hood 13 CHA
A Gypsy Medallion 9 CHA
Incandescent Mask 7 CHA
Golden Cat Eye Bracelet 7 CHA
Electrum Star Ruby Ring 7 CHA
Drake-hide Leggings 5 CHA
Noble's Robes 5 CHA
Incandescent Gloves 3 CHA

That's a fantastic list, thanks!

Para99
02-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Cancel magic wont always dispel charm even if it's the only effect on the mob. If there's another effect, like a buff or magic based debuff, it will be even less effective. The dispel system is complicated. Cancel Magic will probably work 90% of the time, but it will end up screwing you compared to invis that works 100% of the time.

Once you get Strip Enchantment it will be more reliable but still not a guaranteed dispel and it's 70 mana. If 5.0 is to long, Invis Vs Undead is 4.0 but 10 more mana than invis.

Crede
02-14-2019, 03:46 PM
OP, IVU will work fine until you can camp the ring yourself or farm the pp for it. Your 39 animation should have no problem keeping both spawns locked down for courier. Maybe even lower.

kjs86z
02-14-2019, 04:16 PM
Invis works fine all the way to 60. Been 60 for a long time on my enc and have never acquired the ring.

As others have said, stick to the outdoors until you get more comfortable...then head to Upper Guk! You can stay there for a long, long time. Some of the best experience / playtime ever was on my enchanter leveling in Guk.

Color Shift should give you plenty of wiggle room to mez. If both mobs are beating on you, try using stun + aoe mez.

Rod of insidious glamour can be put on your hot bar and used to cancel the global cooldown to chain cast spells.

You will rarely ever need to use anything more than level 4 mez and AoE mez. Level 4 mez is the ONLY mez that will overwrite AoE mez, and vice versa.

And of course, its everquest. Always anticipate and be ready for the worst possible scenario. When in doubt, gate out!

deven1313
02-14-2019, 06:31 PM
I have yet to use the AoE mez spell. I'm a little concerted I'll mez myself. Does this happen often?

Tecmos Deception
02-14-2019, 06:39 PM
I have yet to use the AoE mez spell. I'm a little concerted I'll mez myself. Does this happen often?

Depends on your magic resist (until you're immune to the spell at 56, anyway). If you keep shielding and resist magic on yourself, you'll resist it most of the time. And it's not totally the end of the world when you mez yourself anyway, cause either you just get hit and it wears off right away or you and all the stuff that you're fighting is mezzed too and you'll just get to try again when mez wears off (sometimes yours will fade a tick before the mobs) or you get smacked to break mez.

Snaggles
02-14-2019, 09:28 PM
I still have one of these at 49 on my chanter. It’s been pretty much all solo but I never run out of mana. My gear pretty much reads like that last budget list. Crappy but it works just fine.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Kobold_Jester%27s_Crown

I know they aren’t seen highly by the community but meh, it’s a ton of CHA in one slot so you prioritize other pieces.

Tecmos Deception
02-14-2019, 11:26 PM
I think Noman wore one of those for a while. I'm a total charisma whore, reasoning that it probably helps somewhat with charm durations and mez resists (I didn't do much lulling while leveling, but that too)... which in turn means you need less mana on average per kill. The lower max mana just means you have to be careful to not start fights when you're not medded up and maybe once in a great while you have to zone/gate/die because you're oom.

Snaggles
02-15-2019, 12:13 AM
Yea I med up and pick my battles. A lot of 1v1 guards and what not. I’m sure the gear won’t stand up well to room breaking but it’s been a cheap ride so far :).

Lamil
02-21-2019, 05:25 PM
I did a lot of sitting in Najena lvls 20-25 or so. The goblins are good xp and good practice being in a dungeon. Terrors and spiders are doable also

Skittlez
02-28-2019, 03:19 PM
You need to be on kunark till 27-29, imo. The first place I would go is Warsliks Woods to the Giant Fort if you are 21. You can hang out there till 24-25, or go to LoIO till 24-25. I'm also a fan of Unrest but you really need to learn the dangers of that zone before you can benefit from it solo. Enchanters can be a pain in the ass using charm to level until about level 30 and you really need to hit that 200+ cha to avoid very untimely charm breaks. The giant fort is great for early charming in my experience. Duo's with Shamans and Necros are great as well and those classes are common there.