PDA

View Full Version : “Teach me,” she said.

Cecily
02-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Hello and welcome to my thread where you lovely people get volunteered to fill in the gaps of my education. How this works is I ask a question, probably math / statistic oriented and what you do is helpfully explain it to me, ideally, or try really hard to troll me. Haha you... you devils you.

Anyone else feel free to contribute academic-related questions. Please avoid topics on gender studies, feminism, or politics as they already have their own threads.

America
02-13-2019, 12:03 PM
pose me a question i'm spinning up an "accomplished academic" trolling angle

Cecily
02-13-2019, 12:12 PM
So to start this off, I’ve taken a statistics class years ago at a 4y college and all I learned was how to input numbers into a program. I’d really like to relearn the useful information to help me understand research journals, but for now I have a question about calculating percentile rank.

I have data for 5th%, 95th%, mean, and total number.

Can I use this information to plug in a number to determine its percentile rank?

Ex:
My weight = 196 lbs
Mean = 153.2 lbs
5th percentile = 105.5 lbs
95th percentile = 225.6 lbs
N = 8764

How do I figure out my rank?

Using data from this table:
http://andreaportman.tripod.com/averages.html

America
02-13-2019, 12:18 PM
that website is ADORABLE

loramin
02-13-2019, 12:27 PM
So to start this off, I’ve taken a statistics class years ago at a 4y college and all I learned was how to input numbers into a program. I’d really like to relearn the useful information to help me understand research journals, but for now I have a question about calculating percentile rank.

Can I use this information to plug in a number to determine its percentile rank?

Ex:
My weight = 196 lbs
Mean = 153.2 lbs
N = 8764

I think you can't, because you don't have enough info. But stats isn't my forte so hopefully someone else has a better answer.

The way I see it ... the mean is 153.2 lbs right? That could be because there was one insanely fat fuck on the heavy end, or it could be a lot of "on the heavier side but not that heavy" people on that end. Same deal on the other end, you could have like three bulimic people who weigh as much as a concentration camp survivor, or you could just have a lot fairly fit people. Either case could give you that same mean of 153.2 but your placement will be different depending.

The only way to truly know where you place in a dataset is to have that whole dataset. That being said, with the percentiles I would imagine you could guess pretty close to the correct answer by using math ... but again stats aren't my strong suit so someone else would have to provide that math.

Cecily
02-13-2019, 12:27 PM
Literally one of the websites 19yo me read for research back when I played EQ.

America
02-13-2019, 12:29 PM
Literally one of the websites 19yo me read for research back when I played EQ.

your old :p

Lune
02-13-2019, 12:37 PM
I think you can't, because you don't have enough info. But stats isn't my forte so hopefully someone else has a better answer.

The way I see it ... the mean is 153.2 lbs right? That could be because there was one insanely fat fuck on the heavy end, or it could be a lot of "on the heavier side but not that heavy" people on that end. Same deal on the other end, you could have like three bulimic people who weigh as much as a concentration camp survivor, or you could just have a lot fairly fit people. Either case could give you that same mean of 153.2 but your placement will be different depending.

The only way to truly know where you place in a dataset is to have that whole dataset. That being said, with the percentiles I would imagine you could guess pretty close to the correct answer by using math ... but again stats aren't my strong suit so someone else would have to provide that math.

This is correct, the distribution could be bimodal, steep, shallow, you don't know, and your rank/percentile depends on that. Think you need access to the data set, and with N=thousands, a computer/spreadsheet to calculate this, because it involves ranking the data.

Even if you had just the standard deviation you could assume a normal curve and estimate your percentile based on how many standard deviations you are from the mean, but you don't have that.

Cecily
02-13-2019, 12:38 PM
Naw. I’m not in a new age demographic bracket till April. Nice thing is I blend in with college kids still. It scares me how roughly 30+ hits a lot of people. My mom looks really good for being close to 60, so I think I’m going to be very fortunate in that regard.

Thank you, Loramin! I was wondering if lacking the whole range would be a problem. I’m considering outliers when I check my results vs the ones on the table. Like 95 for waist is around 46” and I looked at that in the mirror with measuring tape and was sad people have to deal with that

Cecily
02-13-2019, 12:39 PM
This is correct, the distribution could be bimodal, steep, shallow, you don't know, and your rank/percentile depends on that. Think you need access to the data set, and with N=thousands, a computer/spreadsheet to calculate this, because it involves ranking the data.

Even if you had just the standard deviation you could assume a normal curve and estimate your percentile based on how many standard deviations you are from the mean, but you don't have that.

Ty Lune!

She did cite the research she took the data from so I might be to dig a little deeper and get that information. Seems like a fun project to get the hang of stats again.

Irulan
02-14-2019, 10:16 AM
*prints an error code out of mouth*

*quickly scans it and hands it over to cecily to throw away*

DinoTriz2
02-14-2019, 10:24 AM
I'm here because I want to "fill in the gaps".

America
02-14-2019, 12:29 PM
in b4 abomination posts seeking validation and social acceptance on elf forum for drug addicts weirdos and career unemployed

teehee im a girl !

the top 1% are "weirdo" relative to the oxy crunching brewskie breeders

food 4 thot

hobart
02-14-2019, 12:39 PM

Agree.

Don't need the entire set, but you do need more than you have which is really just you. Look up Cochran's formula and you can calculate what sample size you'd need at any given confidence level. Then you might be able to look to a study for your data.

Ideally I think you'd want to use a study of Americans where weight was taken but not one related to weight loss/gain. Now is there a study like that where you can get the data set? No idea.

maskorpone
02-20-2019, 05:30 AM
On your place, I wouldn't believe this service for essays. If we will look at https://edureviewer.com/services/affordablepapers-com-review/ we will know, that this service has not a very high score in comparing of other writing services. I think, that Werona must ask for apologies.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the reply, shill.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 02:56 PM
Ok, so I have a good question now.

We keep missing class because I picked an 8am microbiology class during the winter in Maryland like a genius. The evil woman wants to us to bring in the test results we expected from these differentials:

1. Gram Stain - Got this one finished np, easily found information.

2. Oxidative Fermentation (O-F) test - Struggling here, but have results on 2/3 E. coli - Yellow/Yellow = O-F, anaerobic / aerobic fermentation (facultative anaerobe?)
A. faecalis - Green/Green = N/N, nonsaccharolytic (Non-diabetic bacteria)
P. putida - working on it
Control - Green/Green = N/N
Think the word I'm looking for that we haven't actually covered that I remember from 8 years ago here is obligate anaerobe or facultative anaerobe. I THINK this is the differential for that?

3. Phenol Red testA. faecalis
E. coli
P. stuarti

4. Triple Sugar Iron agar (TSI)A. faecalis
E. coli
P. stuarti

Haven't gotten to Phenol Red or TSI results yet, but does anyone know of a good database or other resource that would have this information easily accessible? I just need a big list of differential results or characteristics. I'm going to read the procedures more carefully to get an understanding of what the test does, but as far as results I'm in over my head for hard science literacy at this point.

This is important for me to know, but it's ultimately worth 2 points for making up lab attendance and I need my time spent on other things. Any young scientists around?

Update: Ha. There's a strain of P. putida that can live on pure caffeine. That's my spirit prokaryote.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 03:53 PM
Obligate anaerobe or facultative anaerobe, I think I'm wrong about that. O or O-F result would differentiate aerobes/facultative anaerobes from obligate, but I think that actual test is oxidase.

Blargh. P putida, I think is oxidative but not sure on fermentation. A different type of Pseudomonas is oxidative, but negative on anaerobic fermentation.
Call that positive for oxidation and be done w/ it.

TSI done

Cecily
02-24-2019, 04:36 PM
Finished! That took 3 hours lol. Very last bacteria I was checking I found this: Database of Biochemical Tests of Pathogenic Enterobacteriaceae Family (http://bioinfo.bisr.res.in/cgi-bin/project/docter/get_details.cgi?organism=erwinia&&species=Erwinia%20amylovora)

Doesn't cover everything and I had to figure out that d-glucose acid production / d-glucose gas production = phenol red broth, but exactly what I need in the future and good resource for paper! Erwinia amylovora is in enterobacteria family and that is the bacteria that's gonna make apple trees extinct eventually, I think. Probably doing it on that.

DMN
02-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Hopefully you actually understand the tests and how to interpret the results, and you didn't just look up the results on the internet to fill them in. You will pay the piper on exam/practical day.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 06:45 PM
I was driving at that. Extremely inefficient and borderline disrespectful use of my time, pretttty sure our manual / text doesn’t have a differential reference, but I have a much better idea of how the tests operate than I got while scrambling to go through the physical motions rushed in the lab. I gained a few points in research and found some sources I plan to come back to help with course and personal interest.

From the top of my head (and this is all “new” information acquired today I’ve long since forgotten about when I did it before) :

O-F tests how / if an organism metabolizes sugar, seeing if ferments glucose in the presence of oxygen or if oxygen is toxic to it. That’s alot of variables that I haven’t quite gotten my head around, and I think we’re basically we’re seeing how deep into the Krebs cycle something gets, oxygen needed for oxidative phosphorylation in aerobic respiration’s electron transport chain = most efficient use of glucose for ATP.

Hazy on krebs, but I think each turn gets you 30+ 2 or 4? some ATP. Earlier step of glycolysis is way less efficient, so I’d make the assumption that anaerobic organisms reproduce much slower simply due to less available energy than ones that can survive in O2. Need to ask if I’m right on that.

Triple sugar iron test I need to look into more because the results are complicated. There’s like 8 different variables, glucose fermentation or glucose AND sucrose and or frutose, and also if it reduces sulfur. There’s also an indicator for metabolism of animal proteins. There’s a reaction with acid from fermentation that turns into black percipitate when sulfwr reduction happens.

Phenol red broth, this is the only one I actually know the indicator for (hint: phenol red) and I need to fix that in the future, but this can be glucose/ sucrose/ frutose as a differential, I’m assuming. But what it does is change color to yellow from red if fermentation happens when the ph drops to 6.8 or lower from the acid. If some p word happens the solution the solution turns pink from the alkaline end products. There’s also a tube floating in the solution that gets a bubble in it if fermentation produces gas. That gives you 3 or 4 results, depending.

As far as what bacteria does what, that’s all white noise atm and I need to see how relevant knowing that is to my grade. I think the concepts and characteristics are the focus here. The big picture in this lab from what I can see is these are simply various ways to test for fermentation of carbohydrates with slightly different variables.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 06:59 PM
Question I have is wtf is fermentation? Lol. Feel like that’s a bad point to miss! Krebs cycle is fucking scary to look at and I need to learn the simplified version again to really get this.

Ok so it’s glucose molecule -> glycolysis -> two pyruvates and depending on O2 availability it goes either through oxidative respiration (big atp) or fermentation (acid, gas, alcohol byproducts depending on type of fementation).

I thought fermentation happened under anaerobic conditions and O-F test had me thinking it happened in both.

Fermentation = 2 ATP per glucose
Krebs = 36 + 2 ATP per glucose

Legit scared of this thing. I used to know it.
https://i.imgur.com/LBma7bi.png
https://i.imgur.com/W4q4TL5.png

https://wikispaces.psu.edu/display/230/Glycolysis%2C+Fermentation+and+the+Citric+Acid+Cyc le

DMN
02-24-2019, 07:11 PM
Question I have is wtf is fermentation? Lol. Feel like that’s a bad point to miss! Krebs cycle is fucking scary to look at and I need to learn the simplified version again to really get this.

In micro the definition is generally: the ability to metabolize sugars(produce ATP) without oxygen(anaerobically).

DMN
02-24-2019, 07:16 PM
I thought fermentation happened under anaerobic conditions and O-F test had me thinking it happened in both.

No, the F in OF is specifically for fermentation. if you get a change in PH in the "F" part of that test, the organism can use fermentation for a metabolic pathway.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 07:22 PM
In micro the definition is generally: the ability to metabolize sugars(produce ATP) without oxygen(anaerobically).

Word. Thank you.

No, the F in OF is specifically for fermentation. if you get a change in PH in the "F" part of that test, the organism can use fermentation for a metabolic pathway.

Ohhh ok. So if it’s oxidative in open medium and ferments in sealed it has both pathways? And I guess they can be oxidative only and fermentative only. Or just not mess with that sugar. Thank you! That helps me get it.

DMN
02-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Word. Thank you.

Ohhh ok. So if it’s oxidative in open medium and ferments in sealed it has both pathways? And I guess they can be oxidative only and fermentation only. Or just not mess with that sugar. Thank you! That helps me get it.

99% of the time the answer is yes, but there are weird exceptions in much of biology. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "I guess they can be oxidative only and fermentation only".

Cecily
02-24-2019, 07:53 PM
One pathway or the other. Or both.

Aerobic respiration only
Aerobic and anaerobic respiration
Anaerobic respiration only

It seems like this could be a differential for aerobes, facultative anaerobes, and anaerobes.

TheSurgeon
02-24-2019, 07:53 PM

Ok so it’s glucose molecule -> glycolysis -> two pyruvates and depending on O2 availability it goes either through oxidative respiration (big atp) or fermentation (acid, gas, alcohol byproducts depending on type of fementation).

Fermentation = 2 ATP per glucose
Krebs = 36 + 2 ATP per glucose

Legit scared of this thing. I used to know it.
https://i.imgur.com/LBma7bi.png
https://i.imgur.com/W4q4TL5.png

https://wikispaces.psu.edu/display/230/Glycolysis%2C+Fermentation+and+the+Citric+Acid+Cyc le

So, no shit, I spent a lot of time memorizing the entire CAC for the MCAT, knowing, just knowing they would ask a question that required you to memorize it. The one question about it on the test they had the entire cycle displayed in an image involving the question. Such a god damn waste of time.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 07:59 PM
lol :(

DMN
02-24-2019, 07:59 PM
One pathway or the other. Or both.

Aerobic respiration only
Aerobic and anaerobic respiration
Anaerobic respiration only

It seems like this could be a differential for aerobes, facultative anaerobes, and anaerobes.

Yes but that test won't perfectly differentiate those three. You could have an obligate anerobe that grows at the bottom of the "o" tube where there is little to no oxygen. So it might look exactly like a facultative anaerobe.

DMN
02-24-2019, 08:11 PM
So, no shit, I spent a lot of time memorizing the entire CAC for the MCAT, knowing, just knowing they would ask a question that required you to memorize it. The one question about it on the test they had the entire cycle displayed in an image involving the question. Such a god damn waste of time.

I only got one, too. it was a question about some poison blocking the electron transport chain or something, though.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 08:12 PM
Yes but that test won't perfectly differentiate those three. You could have an obligate anerobe that grows at the bottom of the "o" tube where there is little to no oxygen. So it might look exactly like a facultative anaerobe.

Gotcha. Thank you for your replies. Lab quiz tomorrow and this helps a lot.

Cecily
02-24-2019, 08:15 PM
I only got one, too. it was a question about some poison blocking the electron transport chain or something, though.

Cyanide! It blocks the O2 on ETC. Guess that’s whole body suffocation on a cellular level. I had this bad ass toxicology book and my bf gave it to our roommate when I explicitly said oh maybe heather would like to look at this. I didn’t have the heart to be like no that’s mine and take it away. I feel like I’m still gonna do that next time I visit.

DMN
02-24-2019, 08:30 PM
Gotcha. Thank you for your replies. Lab quiz tomorrow and this helps a lot.

NP. It's unfortunate you don't know just how much you need to know for the quiz. It could be pretty easy or really complicated.

DMN
02-25-2019, 12:47 AM
And speaking of 99%, I think the level you are at that they won't throw crazy stuff at you like obligate anaerobes that can still ferment in the oxygen exposed tube. As long as you know the basic gist I think it will be fine. But they might have wanted tyou to memorize all the attributes of the bacteria you are looking at. So you might have to know(memorize) for instance that e.coli is a facultative anaerobe. Usually your instructor gives some tips about whats going to be on it.

Cecily
02-25-2019, 01:07 AM
Yeah I think I’m gonna backtrack and start making a study guide of everything we’ve done so far before it gets to be too much.

Looks like we’re doing a bunch of enterobacteriaceae (I love that word) differentials tomorrow. I actually read the procedures and know what I’m doing this time. Also have copious notes on the test, why it’s used, what chemicals are involved, what results mean what along with the procedure.

Indole/SIM medium
Methyl Red and Voges-Prokauer tests
Citrate Test

Actually looks like a pretty chill day. Stab, broth, and a slant. That’s good because I’m exhausted. Learned a lot today. Gn!

Cecily
02-28-2019, 11:34 PM
Question 4 (Adaptive Defenses)

How do adaptive defenses work? Compare/contrast B cells and T cells. Discuss the different types of T cells. Describe the differences between cell-mediated immunity and antibody mediated immunity.

While our bodies have nonspecific innate defenses which react the same way every time foreign cells are encountered, adaptive immunity is the lymphatic system's approach to conflict escalation. As our former President Bush said once, "There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says fool me once, shame on shame on you. You fool me you can't get fooled again."

I wish I had more than an hour left to write this. It's probably my favorite opener for anything I've wrote before.

Cecily
03-01-2019, 01:11 AM
I totally glazed over the lymphatic system last time I took A&PII. Really want to get it this time. It's interesting, but complement cascades and cytokines make me check out mentally. Had reservations about an online A&P class, but I'm actually learning so much more in this format. We do the labs in person and all the lecture is online. I get to academic shit post like this every week on the forum:

While our bodies have nonspecific innate defenses which react the same way every time foreign cells are encountered, adaptive immunity is the lymphatic system's approach to conflict escalation. As our former President Bush said once, "There's an old saying in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says fool me once, shame on shame on you. You fool me you can't get fooled again." It is quite possible he was talking about adaptive immunity, a process governed by two types of lymphocytes: B cells and T cells. In adaptive immunity, the immune system "recognizes, reacts, and remembers" the foreign substance, "the 3 R's of immunity." The effect of which is a faster and stronger response to threats with subsequent exposures.

B cells originate in red bone marrow. Immature T cells also begin in red bone marrow, then move to the thymus to mature, and then go on to occupy lymphatic tissue. B cells are involved in antibody-mediated immunity and T cells are involved in cell-mediated immunity. Recognition of a foreign antigen stimulates an immune response where these cells multiply and circulate to lymphatic and infected tissue.

Antibody-mediated immunity:
B cells. Secrete antibodies. Provide protection to extracellular antigens (bacteria, viruses, parasites) and toxins.

Cell-mediated immunity:
T cells. Secrete cytokines. Provide protection to intracelluar antigens (bacteria, viruses, fungi) and tumors. Helper and supressor T cells regulate both antibody and cell-mediated immune responses. 4 types.

Helper T-cells: Activate B cells and cytotoxic T cells.
Memory T-cells: Responsible for secondary immune response.
Regulatory T-cells: Immune response control and suppression.
Cytotoxic T-cells: Directly kill foreign cells.

America
03-01-2019, 11:47 AM
woopw oop

Cen
03-01-2019, 01:38 PM
I want to ask this specifically to you Cecilly, because I think you're likely of the expertise to see right through this. Its more of a riddle:

In world war one, british helmets were upgraded from caps to metal helmets due to a large amount of head wounds from the debris of artillery shells. However, upon issuing the new helmets, the amount of head wounds skyrocketed five fold. The change was almost reverted, but someone realized an error, and the helmets were kept.

Any ideas what the error was?

America
03-01-2019, 01:44 PM
British authorities were not counting deaths by head wound as "wounds". Deaths went way down and survived "wounds" went way up.

Cen
03-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Since your reply goes to the next page its a perfect reveal of the right answer. Its a question based on a concept of "survivorship bias". Its great to throw at statistics people because it will be almost insultingly easy for them to see, but theres no shame in having great difficulty in it, because survivorship riddles have historically confused some of the greatest minds.

Cecily
03-01-2019, 05:13 PM
I had great difficulty understanding the question because it’s the first thing I read when I woke up. Huh, they made helmets out of old shrapnel? Lol. That was illiterally how I was tying to solve it.

I wish it was blatant to me, but I might have missed this one. Thank you for sharing that. It’s a good lesson on why looking at data (and probably things in genral) from a variety different view points is necessary because the obvious conclusion might be the wrong one, no matter how many people believe it.

Gonna look that bias up now.

Cecily
03-04-2019, 02:03 AM
^ Looked into that some more. Really good thing to keep in mind, ty.

So, tonight I learned I don't know how to do logarithms anymore.

What is the generation time of a bacterial population that increases from 10,000 to 10,000,000 cells in four hours of growth?

a = number of bacteria at the beginning of a time interval. A = number of bacteria at the end of the time interval

G= T
3.3log a/A

G= T
3.3log 10^7/10^4

G = 240 mins
3.3 x 3

G = 24 mins

Ok. NM. Pretty sure in the past I'd do logarithms by asking lab partner what they got, but it just looks like enter number and press button ??? answer.

Cecily
03-06-2019, 02:35 AM
Logarithm quotient rule

The logarithm of the division of x and y is the difference of logarithm of x and logarithm of y.
logb(x / y) = logb(x) - logb(y)

so 10^7 = 10,000,000 = log 7
10^4 = 10,000 = log 4

log 7 - log 4 = log 3

Not sure what the (3.3 x) refers to but just taking their word for it

3.3 x 3 = 9.9

240/9.9 = 24 and change rounded down

I'm starting to figure this out but god dammit logs hurt my head.

Control
500 ml of cottage cheese was inoculated with a 2 ml culture of Pseudomonas aeruginosa and incubated at 25°C. Five hours after inoculation, in a standard plate count there were 200 bacterial cells/ml. After 29 hours at 25°C, there were 1,000,000 cells/ml.

Experiment
500 ml of cottage cheese containing the preservative was inoculated with a 2 ml culture of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. After 6 hours of incubation at 25°C, a standard plate count was performed. There were 700 bacterial cells/ml. After 38 hours, there were 61,000,000
bacterial cells/ml.

Number Log
1 0.00
2 0.30
5 0.70
6 0.78
24 1.38
32 1.51
200 2.30
700 2.85
1.00 × 106 6.00
6.10 × 106 6.79
6.10 × 107 7.79

Cecily
03-06-2019, 02:55 AM
1. Why were plate counts used for analyzing bacterial growth instead of direct
microscopic counts or turbidity measurements?

Because it's an experiment over an extended period of time, plate counts would be ideal. The control concentration is too low for turbidity (about 10 - 100 million / mL) and microscopic counts (>10 million / mL), Also, turbidity and microscopic counts have trouble distinguishing live cell counts from dead cell counts. Yet another reason would be the live organism is most likely motile and therefore hard to count with a microscope.

2. How did the control cottage cheese and the experiment cottage cheese differ? What was the independent variable and dependent variable? (Hint: Scientific method)

Independent variable = preservative
Dependent variable = generation time

* I think that's right? It's been a long time since elementary school science.
"The independent variable is the one the experimenter controls. The dependent variable is the variable that changes in response to the independent variable."

3. Determine the effectiveness of the new food preservative by calculating the
generation time of bacterial population in the control versus the experimental
cottage cheese.

Experimental
End: 6.10 x 10^7 = log 7.78
Begin: 700 = log 2.85

G = t/3.3 x log (log 7.78 - log 2.85)
G = t/3.3 x 4.93
G = t/16.269
t = 38 hours x 60 = 2280 mins / 16.27 =
Experimental G = 140 mins

Control
End: 1,000,000 = 1.00 x 10^6 = log 6
Begin: 200 = log 2.30

G = t/3.3 x log (log 6 - log 2.3)
G = t/3.3 x log 3.7
G = t/12.21
t = 29 hours x 60 = 1740/12.21
Control G = 143 mins

Conclusion: The preservative was marginally successful in inhibiting microbial growth.

4. Does this type of test determine bacteriostatic or bactericidal activity?

The goal of a food preservative is to inhibit bacterial growth, not necessarily kill bacteria, so this test would determine bacteriostatic activity.

Pretty sure that's right. Haven't encountered those definitions in any chapter reading yet.

Finally done.

Cecily
03-06-2019, 05:08 AM
Fixed some errors in that ^

This should be useful. Got a can you do math test coming up sometime soon for nursing program. ATM, no lol.

General Math Tables:
https://www.rapidtables.com/math/algebra/Ln.html#ln-rules

Remedial Math Tutorials:
Dimensional Analysis (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/dimanaly/)
Graphing Oscillating Fns. (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/GOF/)
Trigonometry (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/trig/trigonom.html)
Graphing Simple Fns. (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/GSF/)
Graphing Log Paper (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/GLP/)
Logarithms (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/LOG/)
Algebra (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/algebra/)
Vectors (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/vectors/vectors.html)
Unit Conversions (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/units/Units1.htm)
Significant digits (https://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/sig_fig/SIG_dig.htm)

Vormotus
03-08-2019, 09:12 PM

Ex:
My weight = 196 lbs
Mean = 153.2 lbs
N = 8764

You know, sober I might have given you a solid answretr, see I am a colege degree Psychologist, I had during my 5 years course , over 8 tipes of statistcs , like introduction to statistics, advanced statistics I 2 and 3 and then we have Psychodinamic Statistis 1 and 2 and another i dont remember. I saw som any statistic i remember even being able to decompile MMPI and Bender tests into validates items to create new tests with a hifg degree of validation ... that stuff has server me 0% in real life.

LIKE 0% except showing off in a crap reddit thread once or twice in over a decade.

My only real input to you is to study , pass and graduate and then forget abvout everything and learn to either code, a second and third language and perhaps learn how to save money, manage a budget and then invest in either real state in emerging thrid world countries or invest in solid stock like mutuals that give above average depreciation rates of the usd so you can at least keep the same money every year over the basic inflation ratesof it.

That is the only trhing that will help you in life.

Ahh and get a sensible partner that does not waste your own resources, that is a super plus alongisde not having more than one chil dif you have as alife gfoal to reproduce your genetic line.

yep, that is the only trhing you will need to suceed at life. Please remember no corporation whatsoeves, alongside f"riends2" you might make there are really honest or real , the only people you can trust you can count on your hand and have fingers left to count.

Also never ever tell anyone what you really own, or how much money you make. fact is, I have foudn if you portray yourself as poor you will usually get more out of people, as they will either ignore you or dismiss you as non threatening

what else? yep, never buy a car because its fancy or represent you, cars are the worst investment of your money due to their depreciation rate never buy fancy clothes of items to show you are well, that is literally wasting money only to show people, that do not really care about you you are better than them, that is a total watse of your money and time.

hmmmm yeah, my granny alwaysd told me you had to be aware of your surroundings, have spatial awareness of where you are all the time. this might save your life.

if possible and in theus, learn to do CPR, and how to fire common guns, or how to disarm or descalate situations yes.

be aware protecting your honor is bullshit if it might entail losing your life, everyone else is apotential enemy during thesesituations and though yo might have enough courage, if they outnumber yu it is a losing game.

Learn how to avoid conflict with strangers, do not drink un unsafe space and enjoy small things, like friendship and family.

yep, this is the same adive I would give t my dead son. yep.

hope it helps you man or woman.

be safe always and never worry too much about people, they will never be there when needed, and those that are, cherish themlike gold!

Much love to you my friend!

Cecily
03-08-2019, 09:16 PM
I’m trying to be a psych nurse, so learning how to deescalate conflict and CPR on my to do list for sure. Thank you for the advice!

Much love and respect to you.

Cecily
03-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Studied micro lab tests from 7am to 2pm today, covered everything we did so far. Put a couple hours in at the Anatomy & Physiology open lab today. Made a new friend who has a suspiciously similar coloration as me. She looks really good in bright red lipstick, but pronouces her name wrong so I dunno. Still have 5.5 lab reports to write by tomorrow morning or -20 out of 1000ish total points for lab grade. Wonder if that’s worth my sleep? Probably.

Lab quiz tommorow.
Lab review on Tuesday for A&P, have two open lab sessions on Monday and Thursday I need to go to.
Bunch more micro homework for weekend.

Next week:

Monday: Micro lab midterm, 16 differential tests.
Wednesday: Micro lab exam 2, only 2 chapters on genetics, but haven’t started reading it.
Thursday: Anatomy lab midterm. 7 modules: Blood/blood tests/blood typing, blood vessels anatomy/physiology, heart anatomy/physiology, EKGs, respiratory system anatomy/physiology.

Kill me now.

America
03-12-2019, 09:34 PM
my hands are icicles again. you should study arm and hand nervous anatomy real good and give me a magic bullet.

Cecily
03-12-2019, 09:49 PM
I told you. Mirror boxes. Probably need one good arm though.

Already covered nervous/skeletal/muscular system last year, but that teacher sucked. Wait till I’m a psychiatric NP first and then I can tell you, “I’m sorry that’s not my area of expertise. Here’s a prescription for Zoloft.”

Cecily
03-12-2019, 11:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6ybz9Yn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7T42AWZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/bIE7mSm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/63EgmzW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/i6X6qQ3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DeCUcLN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/2Qc4UCP.jpg

Cecily
03-13-2019, 12:53 AM
And Gmail is fucking up. Fantastic, that's where my lab reports are.

Cecily
03-13-2019, 02:12 AM
Well, I'm screwed. This took a long time. 1/6 down. ~4 hours left.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/blob:https://imgur.com/9e9c04c3-ed97-4f6d-9303-ec9e2ecc4d2ehttps://i.imgur.com/k9flqkv.png

Cecily
03-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Anatomy and physiology lab practical today... this is what I know besides structures:

Hemoglobin: 13-18g/ dl males, 12-16g/dl females
Hematocrit: 45-52% men, 37-48% women
Blood count: ~5million erythrocytes / cubic mm
White blood cell count: 7-11k normal, over is leukocytosis,inflamation possible infection. Under is Leukopenia suggests immune system disorder.
Men: 4.5-6m, women 4-5.5m
Blood glucose: 70-100 mg/dl

Pulse pressure: systolic - diastolic. 40-50mmhg
Mean arterial pressure: diastolic - (1/3 pulse pressure) 70-110 mmhg
<60 ischemic organs
Heart rate: 60-100, >100 tachycardia, <60 Bradycardia
O2%: 95-100%
Respiration rate: 12-20, 16/18 average
Minute ventilation rate: RR x TV = x ml
Tidal volume: volume of normal inhalation in/out cycle ~500ml
Expiratory reserve volume: Volume of forced exhalation after normal TV
Inspiratory reserve volume: volume of forced inhalation after normal TV,
IRV=VC-(ERV+TV)
Reserve volume: Air in lungs remaining after forced exhale, ~1000ml
Vital capacity: total volume of exchangeable air in lungs, VC=TV+IRV+ERV
Total lung capacity: TV+IRV+ERV+RV

Whole blood is 45% formed elements, 55% plasma
Plasma is 90%+ water, proteins (albumin 60%,globulins 36%, fibrinogen 4%), and other solutes (waste,02/CO2, hormones, electrolyte, something something)

EPNLMEB - formed element abundance

Erythrocytes - rbc
Platelets
Leukocytes
A. Granulocytes
1. Neutrophils - bacteria killers
2. Basophils - inflammatory responses, histamine/heparin release
3. Eosinophils - parasitic worm infections
B. Agranulocytes
1. Monocytes - phagocytosis - macrophages in tissue
2. Leukocytes - mount responsive to infection T/B cells

EKG
P-wave: atrial depolarization
QRS complex: ventricular depolarization, atrial repolarization obscured
T-wave: ventricular depolarization

Heart rate: 60 / #boxes R peak to R peak x.04
Need to learn interval times here

https://i.imgur.com/R9UQJOb.png
https://i.imgur.com/GTraLEH.png
https://i.imgur.com/p6YwGB4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/kyHZyLw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/YOfllWP.gif

Cecily
03-21-2019, 10:32 AM
https://i.imgur.com/bL0KZRE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/iGsUlnX.jpg

PR interval is begining of P to Q boxes x .04
Normal value = .16 to 18 seconds

QRS complex = Q to R boxes x .04
Normal value = .08 to .10 seconds

QT interval = Q to end of T x .04
Normal Value = .3 to .4 seconds

Cecily
03-21-2019, 11:06 AM
That’s about everything. Hour left to study.

SA node to AV node to bundle of his to L/R bundle branches to purkinje fibers

PR interval is begining of P to Q boxes x .04
Normal value = .16 to 18 seconds

Longer suggests heart block

QRS complex = Q to R boxes x .04
Normal value = .08 to .10 seconds

Longer suggest r/l bundle branch block

QT interval = Q to end of T x .04
Normal Value = .3 to .4 seconds

Shorter with increased HR

H20+C02 <-> H2OCO3 <-> HCO3- + H+

Water combines with carbon dioxide to form carbonic acid, this reaction catalyzed by enzyme carbonic anhydrase carried in RBCs. CO2 diffuses into RBC -> gets turned to carbonic acid -> acid disassociates into bicarbonate ion and Hydrogen.

More hydrogen ions more acidic. More CO2 (hypoventilation) more hydrogen, more acidic, pH down. Vice versa.

Normal blood pH 7.4, 7.35 to 7.45
<7.35 acidosis >7.45 alkalosis

Diaphragm contracts, moves down. External intercostal contract, sternum / chest moves up and out. Volume in lungs increases, lowers pressure below atmospheric pressure and air moves down pressure gradient = inspiration.

Exspiration = diaphragm / intercostals relax. Chest moves down and pressure increases as volume decreases. Air in lungs higher pressure than atmosphere and moves down pressure gradient.

Cen
03-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Normal blood pH 7.4, 7.35 to 7.45

But all those alkaline water people keep telling me that shit should be purple! Lol

Cecily
03-21-2019, 11:40 AM
why are you posting all this worthless garbage?

even if you complete your degree no one will hire you because you are a weirdo

I feel bad for your parents

chomps hormone pill

I’m learning where to cut you.

Cecily
03-21-2019, 02:24 PM
Think I got 100% on this A&P exam today. Micro midterms: 97% on lab and 90% lecture.

Annnd spring break.

America
03-21-2019, 02:29 PM
Annnd spring break.

this the time where you sober up and replenish reserves hoe

Cecily
03-21-2019, 02:35 PM
I can quit any time I want.

America
03-21-2019, 02:38 PM
same haha

Cecily
05-16-2019, 02:20 PM
Thank you to the young scientists that helped me get microbiology concepts early on in the semester. I took that approach to learning all the biochemical tests, learning the why and how instead of you do this for this, and ended up doing really really well on practicals, 97% on midterm practical and 96% on final. Got 80% on the lecture final, and I'm pretty happy about that. Was such a hard test... Diseases of reproductive, digestive, respiratory, cardiovascular / lymphatic, and nervous systems.

Just finished A&PII lecture final, pretty sure I got an A or B on it. Didn't study. Was way too tired. 86% on Lab final from 2 hours of studying.. which I'm both annoyed and happy about. I could have done a lot better.

Now I have to read a book and write a research paper on it by tomorrow and I'm done with semester. Pray for me.

loramin
05-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Thank you to the young scientists that helped me get microbiology concepts early on in the semester. I took that approach to learning all the biochemical tests, learning the why and how instead of you do this for this, and ended up doing really really well on practicals, 97% on midterm practical and 96% on final. Got 80% on the lecture final, and I'm pretty happy about that. Was such a hard test... Diseases of reproductive, digestive, respiratory, cardiovascular / lymphatic, and nervous systems.

Just finished A&PII lecture final, pretty sure I got an A or B on it. Didn't study. Was way too tired. 86% on Lab final from 2 hours of studying.. which I'm both annoyed and happy about. I could have done a lot better.

Now I have to read a book and write a research paper on it by tomorrow and I'm done with semester. Pray for me.

Congrats :)

kennz89
06-05-2019, 12:50 PM
No one can help a person, if this person doesn't want to take any help.

Dwarflord
06-05-2019, 07:10 PM
Drugs

In this case, hormones from the opposite sex

branamil
06-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Cecily is not a very good rogue. They were bad at stabbing

DinoTriz2
06-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Cecily is not a very good rogue.

Delete this blasphemy.

Cecily
06-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Cecily is not a very good rogue.

DinoTriz2
06-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Delete this blasphemy.

Dwarflord
06-06-2019, 04:00 PM
no such thing as a good rogue they push 1 button

Cecily
06-06-2019, 06:32 PM
Assist
Autoattack
Backstab
Evade

Sometimes duelist or nimble if I’m feeling sassy. Joking. I don’t play this game.

Drugs

Ty for asking. That’s going well!

Current: 185lbs; Bust: 37.5 (33” under); Waist: 29; Hips: 37; men’s 8.5/women’s 10.5 shoes from like... 39 (38”under)- 36 - 38; men’s 11/women’s 13 when I started in late 2017.

7” off my waist and 5” from my rib cage is pretty wild to look at when I’m putting on stuff from even last year. Arms are looking better. Besides my crippling fear to show off skin.. I’m pretty happy with my body!

Dwarflord
06-06-2019, 07:02 PM
evade ( hide / sneak ) does nothing to reduce aggro lol

Cecily
06-06-2019, 07:11 PM
evade ( hide / sneak ) does nothing to reduce aggro lol

It’s attack off then hide when you’re in combat. Hide + sneak is for invisibility out of combat.

I hope this helps!

Dwarflord
06-06-2019, 07:12 PM
you need christ

Ty for asking. That’s going well!

Current: 185lbs; Bust: 37.5 (33” under); Waist: 29; Hips: 37; men’s 8.5/women’s 10.5 shoes from like... 39 (38”under)- 36 - 38; men’s 11/women’s 13 when I started in late 2017.

7” off my waist and 5” from my rib cage is pretty wild to look at when I’m putting on stuff from even last year. Arms are looking better. Besides my crippling fear to show off skin.. I’m pretty happy with my body!

Abomination

kennz89
06-07-2019, 08:33 AM
Drugs

You wanna say that drugs can heal mental state?

Cecily
06-07-2019, 03:08 PM
The western model of health isn’t about healing. That being said, I’m doing better, yes. I was reading last night about estrogen modulating nMDA receptors in the brain, which are associated with depersonalization, basically a semi-solipsistic state where you feel disconnected from your body and the world doesn’t feel quite real. Estrogen cures that for transwomen and brings us back to our bodies.

It’s strange that I never conceptualized my experience like that, but I think that’s how I drifted through life for my first few decades. I thought I was just a nihilist.

Dwarflord
06-07-2019, 05:22 PM
Theres actually no such thing as transwomen, sorry if you are confused

Cecily
06-07-2019, 07:31 PM
Theres actually no such thing as transwomen, sorry if you are confused

Hello. Please keep your trans exclusive radical feminist commentary out of my thread meant for real academic discussion.

Dwarflord
06-08-2019, 08:12 PM
chomps hormone pill and does homework

Cecily
06-09-2019, 03:31 AM
Done with school till next spring acktually.

Dwarflord
06-09-2019, 10:34 AM
cool, let us know how the jobhunting goes

Cecily
06-09-2019, 01:14 PM
I’m gonna wait tables for awhile when my friend gets back from Maine in a week or so. Figure that’ll be good for stress management, social skills, and getting used to taking shit from the general public. Skills I’ll need in nursing.

Dwarflord
06-09-2019, 07:58 PM
I waited tables for years around 18-21 had a good time, money wasnt great but you will meet lots of people.

Ate the best food and drank amazing drinks thats for sure, i went the country club route because i lived in boca, no cash it was all computerized 20% but the food was A+

Wonkie
06-10-2019, 12:34 AM
"Bleach me"; she mooned.

d3r14k
06-10-2019, 10:54 AM
"I beseech thee, ye loon."

DinoTriz2
06-10-2019, 11:03 AM
because i lived in boca

Grande or Raton?

branamil
06-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Doeth Thethily have a penith?

Cecily
06-10-2019, 01:41 PM
Are you doing a gay lisp for pride month?

Cecily
06-10-2019, 02:17 PM
You know, overt casual homophobia isn’t really cool anymore. I just want you to know that I don’t have a problem with what you do in the privacy of your own home, but no one wants to see that out in public.

Yeah I have a dick. Beard, too. I actually look like a man despite being on hormones over a year. It makes me cry sometimes. I’m also a lot different than the pro-gamer husk of a human being that used to play here. I’m half the size I used to be. I look the same, but extremely different, too. Probably the weirdest thing these days is that instead of praying for the release of death, I’m excited for the future and I’m actually at risk of becoming a happy person.

Dwarflord
06-10-2019, 02:20 PM
yea nothing is working out dude you look like a female dwarf

Cecily
06-10-2019, 02:29 PM
Lol, right?

d3r14k
06-10-2019, 05:45 PM
When does the beard bit go away? Knowing absolutely zero about hormone treatment, I'd assume after a year of taking them you'd be done with facial hair growth.

Dwarflord
06-10-2019, 06:42 PM
hormones dont make a beard go away you will need laser treatment which he cant afford most likely

will probably need it on his sack his gooch and the base of his tree as well. Probably cost about 2k total in treatments

Cecily
06-10-2019, 06:45 PM
You have to pay a lot of money to get rid of it. Laser is the “cheap” option. About 6 sessions of that if you’re lucky and dark hair / pale like me. Only regarded as semi permanent though and still really expensive.

Electrolysis is the other and that’s about $100/hour, think 120 at the local place for me. Average beard is like 80 hours and it can take way more than that, too. You have to grow the hair out a mm or two in between sessions and you look like you got stung by bees, I think.

Both hurt. I don’t have 6-10k to spend, so I’m trying to just ignore it for now. If I can afford it with this waiting job, I’m gonna try to pay for an hour every week of electro or save like 900 for a full face zap of laser.

Cecily
06-10-2019, 07:43 PM
https://i.imgur.com/4CcyZKA.jpg

It’s slowed down / faded enough I can wear foundation and mostly cover it up. Shaving twice a day kinda sucks and having thousands of hairs greet me in the mirror every morning is pretty psychologically distressing, but this is fine.

Jimjam
06-11-2019, 12:20 AM
I can't grow a beard for shit, it would be great if we could just swap. Like a skin graft or something. You're hiding it well though.

Your hair on top looks a lot more feminine now, that's some good progress. Is that through the hormones or a new hair care routine?

Dwarflord
06-11-2019, 02:57 PM
please never post a picture of yourself here again

Cecily
06-11-2019, 04:19 PM
https://i.imgur.com/jgPsD2R.jpg

Dwarflord
06-11-2019, 08:28 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Dwarfsmallpalebluefineplatearmor.png

Cecily
06-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Lol!

Dwarflord
06-12-2019, 11:49 AM
its not funny, you became a transgender for attention and ruined your life

i feel bad for your parents

d3r14k
06-12-2019, 12:59 PM
White knight incoming

Why do you care so much about someone else's decisions if it makes them content and fulfilled to pursue that path? It impacts you 0%. There are plenty of other things you could potentially disagree with that could foster constructive debate, yet here you are picking on someone you view as an easy target on the internet because you're a coward.

I think YOUR parents should be ashamed.

Dwarflord
06-12-2019, 01:13 PM
It does impact me because the transgenders constantly post pictures of themselves and reveal real life information all over this forum and the internet.

For the past 6 months "Maerlith" was borderline suicide and posting horrible dark posts everyday.

When these people stop posting pictures of themselves and posting like this i promise i wont mention it again.

As for my parents im a self made millionaire they love me dont worry.

PS Cecily isnt happy or content with his decisions

d3r14k
06-12-2019, 01:39 PM
Your argument is that the impact to you is "I have to look at their pictures and posts"? Think about how petty that is for a minute. It takes more effort to write a scathing post than it would to just scroll past something you don't agree with. I don't really like olives, so I don't put them in my cart at the store. I just walk past them. I dont spend energy attacking everything olive related with the ambition to remove all olives from the shelf. That would be something that ... oh, I don't know ... a crazy person might do?

As for borderline suicide: I can't imagine you have any genuine concern for mental health when 90% of your posts (that I have seen) are just following transgender people around the forums and berating them with personal attacks. So attempting to take the moral high ground on the basis of concern doesn't seem very genuine.

I'm glad you're a millionaire though.

Dwarflord
06-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Maybe you should start eating olives bro your bank account will fill right up !

Cecily
06-12-2019, 07:33 PM
I'm writing an article for the newspaper. What are you doing?

Patriam1066
06-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Mario is definitely the worst poster and represents Florida well. I bought an F-250 to hasten florida’s Departure beneath the ocean. Will send a boat to pick you up Mead!

Dwarflord
06-13-2019, 12:15 PM
How does some redneck buying a pickup truck in texas influence anything other then his own poverty?

Did you buy a huge american flag for the bed?

Wonkie
06-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Did you buy a huge armenian flag for the bed?

Dwarflord
06-13-2019, 01:55 PM
https://imgur.com/94eXPkV

andreaportman
08-14-2019, 02:47 PM
that website is ADORABLE

Ty, America. I haven't updated in 15 years but here we are.

Thanks for referencing, OP ; )

Cecily
08-14-2019, 05:56 PM
Ty, America. I haven't updated in 15 years but here we are.

Thanks for referencing, OP ; )

Thanks for making that website!! It was a really good resource back then. I almost transitioned around the same time as you. In the middle of it right now. I just noticed we kinda look freaky similar.

I hope life has been wonderful.

Cecily
08-15-2019, 10:39 PM
Teach me why I can’t display affection via touch. I swear my hugs drain the life force of whoever I embrace. Ugh. I’m pretty sure it was love at first sight with her, possibly mutual, and maintaining since April. I’m too retardant to know how to engage impurely with her.

Maybe my body’s just like lol you just got pranked, bro. You’ve been into men the whole time.

Chortles Snort|eS
08-16-2019, 03:23 PM
xhe sed

Bardp1999
08-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Boys have wieners and girls have vaginas - move to resolved

entruil
08-16-2019, 11:56 PM
Should prolly think for th fourth time Cecily.... I got ur back and I hatever you need to do , do it... Just want people who follow u to know they loved And thenecro who is opposite of me is stealth and evil and r ady claim yous at any time sad face... I vehemently disagree with your stance... I also am losing kids to your same style troll and better than your ass shit... So sad shit... Never count me ass a hater cuse I'm your only saviour... Sadness. ... ... ..

entruil
08-16-2019, 11:57 PM
God blessed typos fuckin phone .... I'll clarify don't go that far till I can clarify

entruil
08-17-2019, 12:04 AM
I ain't never scared never scared

entruil
08-17-2019, 12:05 AM
C-c-c-ombo breaker!!!

entruil
08-17-2019, 12:14 AM
X5 instructo! Quality!!! I don't have a melon who is masked anymore... I ruined it ... U still should not feed the denominator to ur "feels".... Get gripped and have a mf handle forelons sake at least

Cecily
08-17-2019, 01:04 AM
Should prolly think for th fourth time Cecily.... I got ur back and I hatever you need to do , do it... Just want people who follow u to know they loved And thenecro who is opposite of me is stealth and evil and r ady claim yous at any time sad face... I vehemently disagree with your stance... I also am losing kids to your same style troll and better than your ass shit... So sad shit... Never count me ass a hater cuse I'm your only saviour... Sadness. ... ... ..

I should probably say for the fourth time, Cecily, that I’ve got your back and whatever you need to do, do it. I just want the people who follow you to know they loved [unreadable]. Anyways, I vehemently disagree with your stance. [unreadable] I support you, but I’m sad right now.

Thank you! I’m pretty sure lol.

Can I get a sober translation later on?

entruil
08-23-2019, 01:08 AM
Thank you! I’m pretty sure lol.

Can I get a sober translation later on?

If I'm ever sober again I'll give it a shot.... For now I'm going with your's .... I'll add a bit of wine and a lament for the loss of a friend's youngling.... Doubt I will be consorting around here after the five post I don't remember ... Meant every word... Peace.

Cecily
08-23-2019, 01:47 PM
Worried about you. I hope you’re ok.