PDA

View Full Version : P99 on Linux Mint 19.1 64bit

needsram
01-27-2019, 11:14 AM
Linux newbie here... I was just able to log into my character on a working installation. I wanted to share what worked for me.

I based my configuration on the guide here: http://wiki.project1999.com/EverQuest_in_Linux_Guide

But I also did the following:
1. Installed wine-stable and wine32, instead of just wine:
sudo apt install wine-stable
sudo apt install wine32

2. Installed Mesa libGLU 32bit:
sudo apt install libglu1-mesa:i386

3. Made the bash script file executable with:
chmod u+x <file>

The game crashed once while logging a character in the first time. Not sure why, but the second time worked.

Thanks.

Ravana
01-27-2019, 10:39 PM
Hi needsram,

Thanks so much for posting this. I am also running on Linux Mint 64bit so I will try it, as my sound is currently not working. I added WinHQ repository and got the latest version of wine-stable, and the sound is working in wine (tested via winecfg), but EQ has no sound.

I followed the Linux guide you linked, but when I first ran the game from the custom bash script, it was incredibly laggy and slow. In the guide's custom bash script, the following is mentioned: "# Bind to one core of the processor and launch."

That didn't fully make sense to me and since the game was slow as hell I changed it from this:
"taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null"
to this:
"wine eqgame.exe patchme"

And it works great now, very fluid and no graphical or gameplay issues, EXCEPT for the fact that I don't have any sound. I haven't been able to fix that yet, but based on what I have read so far it may well have to do with 32bit vs 64bit architecture, which your solution I'm hoping will address.

Here is a question for you: when the game loads, there is a box for Tip of the Day. This is always blank for me. Is that a P1999 quirk or perhaps something gone wrong with my install? Maybe you can corroborate based on your experience.

Best regards,
Ravana

needsram
01-29-2019, 04:55 AM
Hi Ravana,

As for the sound, my sounds are working fine, except for the music, which doesn't play at all. I think someone mentioned something about midi music on here a little while ago, so I'm going to check that out.

Tip of the day has appeared for me several times right after I installed, but has not been blank. I disabled the tips shortly after, so I haven't seen that message lately.

The 32bit thing I mentioned was related to video, so I don't think that'll fix your sound. Sorry I don't have any fixes for the music yet, but I'll look around.

needsram
01-29-2019, 07:04 AM
Ravana,

Look at: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295681 and see if it offers anything helpful. It gave me some ideas, but I'm still having trouble with my music.

Irulan
01-29-2019, 09:48 AM
Sometimes, like with Linux I use an older distro n wine version.. Something in line with 06-08 would probably run p99, like a champ on similarly dated hardware. Newer puters with fancy graphics hardware may be tricky.

I also had great luck copying / installing the directx binaries to wines directories so that they would be available.

needsram
01-29-2019, 06:15 PM
I got my MIDI music working. I'm not sure what I did.. maybe just keeping the qsynth program open while I was playing? The guide at: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295681 was very helpful.