PDA

View Full Version : Returning after 12ish years

timel0rd
01-08-2019, 04:45 PM
I played EQ from 1999 until 2006ish. The last expansion I played was Prophecy of Ro. I tried playing again with my wife a few years ago, just to show her what EQ was, but the Sony EQ I returned to was not the EQ I had played. It was completely different and ruined even more that when I left the first time.

I've been playing for a few days now and this has been amazing. This is the EQ I remember. The social aspect of this game, the fact that you truly need other people to be successful in this game, is what makes it so amazing. In other games I've played , even when in quilds and raids, it always feels like your playing along side other people, not really with them.

Also, them modern MMOs with their preplanned progression of quests and equipment and zones just take away the openness of the games. It feels so artificial. Another great thing about EQ was Verant simply made the EQ world, populated it, and told the players, "Go! Figure it out!". So many of the tenants of modern MMORPG design were created by the players of EQ who figured it out the hard way.

I just wish they'd continue up to Planes of Power. To me, that was the peak of EQ. We could skip Luclin tho. ;)

Great to be back. See you all in world. I've got a Troll Shaman, Grakt, and a Wood Elf Druid, Siepherr.