PDA

View Full Version : DAOC Phoenix Freeshard Launches Tomorrow January 4th

Oleris
01-03-2019, 06:30 PM
https://playphoenix.online/

New launch tomorrow. This is probably the last large scale high end DAOC server to launch.

They made some significant QOL changes to leveling and balance changes to make shitty classes less shitty.

Anyone else giving it a try?

edit: looks like it will launch the 12th. Tomorrow is final stress test and name/guild saving. More info on the server here https://playphoenix.online/getting-started

ScaringChildren
01-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Oh nice, that's launching soon?

Hell yeah I am.

Uthgaard is kind of dying off :(

I want a good DAOC server

Evia
01-05-2019, 03:25 PM
My static group and I just started up on uthgaard/mid a few days ago. Is uthgaard reading dead? is this server the better one to hop on? it looks like its not classic tho but the changes don't look terrible.

ScaringChildren
01-05-2019, 05:02 PM
My static group and I just started up on uthgaard/mid a few days ago. Is uthgaard reading dead? is this server the better one to hop on? it looks like its not classic tho but the changes don't look terrible.

Uthgaard isn't totally dead, but it wasn't long ago that the server pop was around 1000

Evia
01-05-2019, 07:38 PM
Uthgaard isn't totally dead, but it wasn't long ago that the server pop was around 1000

Seems around half that now....is there a reason why?

Oleris
01-07-2019, 01:56 PM
I'm hearing some good things about the QOL changes that are coming with this server.

You will need to raid just once to get flagged for raid loot. You can then purchase the item once you contain a new currency called Feathers. These Feathers drop off hard pve content that you can farm.

The loot that will drop during leveling will all be decent. No more naked characters in the 20's.

They have buffed some of the terrible classes for each realm for RVR. Paladins have more spec points and their endurance line have it's range larger.

I will be rolling alb.

ScaringChildren
01-07-2019, 04:41 PM
Do you know if Friars will be viable for RVR?

If so, I'm rolling Alb definitely.

I heard stealthers start with MoS perks? Pretty cool

Cecily
01-07-2019, 06:47 PM
I had fun on my Uthgard infiltrator. Was my introduction to the game, but it stop being fun the 50th time a Midgard sneak axed my face with 3 buddies. I really liked my friar, too.

Oleris
01-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Do you know if Friars will be viable for RVR?

If so, I'm rolling Alb definitely.

I heard stealthers start with MoS perks? Pretty cool

They buffed the damage table for Friar's and added a grp heal proc in the healing tree. I'm guessing most will add more in rejuv if the heal proc is decent.

ScaringChildren
01-07-2019, 10:41 PM
They buffed the damage table for Friar's and added a grp heal proc in the healing tree. I'm guessing most will add more in rejuv if the heal proc is decent.

Hell yeah, I'm rolling friar then.

Might not make it into a cookie cutter 8man, but who knows maybe

Is all this info on their website?

Evia
01-08-2019, 03:43 PM
My uthgaard/mid static group decided to go to Phoenix shard instead. Going to do mid again....

Our crew is going to be...
Warrior
Shaman
Healer
Berserker
Skald
I'm hoping thats a decent group for rvr as well as pve.

ScaringChildren
01-08-2019, 03:45 PM
My uthgaard/mid static group decided to go to Phoenix shard instead. Going to do mid again....

Our crew is going to be...
Warrior
Shaman
Healer
Berserker
Skald
I'm hoping thats a decent group for rvr as well as pve.

Looks like it.

I really like Berserker too. It's such a hard choice between Alb and Mid.

Evia
01-08-2019, 03:49 PM
Looks like it.

I really like Berserker too. It's such a hard choice between Alb and Mid.

Bard from Hibernia is my favorite class in any mmorpg I've ever played. Ultimate support char with heals, mezzes, speed, endo regen, power regen ect!
Sadly i cannot convince the majority of my static group to even consider Hibernia. It came down to Alb vs Mid for us as well.

ScaringChildren
01-08-2019, 03:57 PM
I think Friar is my all time favorite.

However, Infiltrator is my favorite 'Rogue' type.

DAoC did combo abilities correctly, especially the stealth openers. So awesome.

Plus you can climb walls.

Oleris
01-09-2019, 08:20 PM
I think I will be going with minstrel. Great group class for PVE and RVR. Also, can play with stealth groups if I want to solo.

I'm not sure if any class besides paladin will be able to solo feather tiered mobs. They are 55+, so grape cons. I know my paladin could do it before with max shield/chants, but they still seem to be not liked for RVR.

I really want to play a fire wizard, but if I wanted to play a nuker hib or mid have better options.

I will probably also roll a half-ogre mercenary eventually as well.

Gilder
01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Damn, I loved DAoC back in the day (and was much better at it than EQ), is this up and running? F2P? Healthy population?

You have piqued my curiosity.

ScaringChildren
01-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Damn, I loved DAoC back in the day (and was much better at it than EQ), is this up and running? F2P? Healthy population?

You have piqued my curiosity.

It comes out tomorrow

ScaringChildren
01-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Get in here, boys!

The waters fine.

Around 1,000 players per realm. So 3000 total on the server.

Runs great.

Oleris
01-12-2019, 06:42 PM
3,600 highest I have seen today.

Evia
01-12-2019, 07:47 PM
This server has been a ton of fun so far!

ScaringChildren
01-12-2019, 09:02 PM
I rolled Mid.

Endgame has raiding etc, but a huge portion is about PVP, but it's fun world pvp type play. Taking keeps/defending them, etc.

Using catapults, etc.

Phistt
01-13-2019, 02:28 AM
Rolled up mid- Skald today with a couple RL pals.

Had a blast, really love the paceing of this server compared to uthgard.

Evia
01-13-2019, 10:57 AM
looks like we have a lot of mid players! post your names so we can get everyone added to friends list!

Resken - Warrior
Kellian - Shadowblade

are the characters im working on right now

Gilder
01-14-2019, 10:39 AM
I played a Mentalist back in the day on Hibernia. Absolutely crushed with an Enchanter combo. Think I will roll Menty again if any of you plan on playing Hibs

ScaringChildren
01-17-2019, 12:09 PM
I've been play Alb a lot lately.

Server is 10x better than Uthgard. The ROG items are awesome. Not to mention a lot of other quality of life changes.

YendorLootmonkey
01-17-2019, 01:36 PM
I might be interested in trying this... is there a ranger class or a ranger-like class?

kyrobo
01-17-2019, 02:43 PM
... is there a ranger class or a ranger-like class?

I'd also like to know EQ analogues for DAOC classes if there are any. Might give Phoenix a shot.

ScaringChildren
01-17-2019, 02:49 PM
I might be interested in trying this... is there a ranger class or a ranger-like class?

There are so many classes in DAOC that your head will spin.

They have 3 separate archer classes.

Bows work like wizard nukes. Only takes a couple of arrows to down a target.

ScaringChildren
01-17-2019, 02:54 PM
I'd also like to know EQ analogues for DAOC classes if there are any. Might give Phoenix a shot.

Well DAOC has three realms (or teams) and they all essentially get the same tools but all the classes differ in some way.

They have a melee character that wears cloth armor and uses a scythe.

Another melee character that quad hits and has self buffs that cost a percentage of health.

A necromancer who is invincible until his pet is dead.

The bone dancer can have up to 4 or 5 pets and you can mix and match their roles, so you have your own little group of pets.

Evia
01-17-2019, 03:01 PM

Hibernia has Rangers. They dual wield, self buff and archery

Midgard has Hunters. They use 2h spears, have a pet and archery

Albion has Scouts. They use weapon + shield and archery.

Basically every realm has their own version of the following...

Tank
Healer
Buffer/utility
Melee dps
Caster dps
Stealth Archer
Stealth Assassin
Crowd Control
Musician Based Class
Pet Class
Monk type class

Its not copy and paste tho. They get creative with it... for example they might give crowd control and utility buffs and healing to one class in Hibernia but then split those roles up into 3+ different classes in midgard. Classes are certainly not balanced, but the realms are surprisingly so.

YendorLootmonkey
01-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Hibernia has Rangers. They dual wield, self buff and archery

Midgard has Hunters. They use 2h spears, have a pet and archery

Albion has Scouts. They use weapon + shield and archery.

Basically every realm has their own version of the following...

Tank
Healer
Buffer/utility
Melee dps
Caster dps
Stealth Archer
Stealth Assassin
Crowd Control
Musician Based Class
Pet Class
Monk type class

Its not copy and paste tho. They get creative with it... for example they might give crowd control and utility buffs and healing to one class in Hibernia but then split those roles up into 3+ different classes in midgard. Classes are certainly not balanced, but the realms are surprisingly so.

Thanks! :)

Evia
01-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Id recommend just browsing through the class character planners and it will give you an overview on what type of abilities each class gets and what role they play in the game world.

Gilder
01-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Real talk, DAOC was the better game. p99 gives you the nostalgia, but DAOC just had so much more fascinating content (to me at least).

I haven't started on this new Phoenix server yet, but I'll update ya when I do. Thanks for posting this!

kyrobo
01-17-2019, 05:33 PM
...class character planners...

Wuzzat?

Evia
01-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Wuzzat?

https://playphoenix.online/charplan/

Lvl 50 is max lvl so that lets you plan how you spend your training points.

kyrobo
01-17-2019, 07:56 PM
thanks!

YendorLootmonkey
01-17-2019, 10:51 PM
https://playphoenix.online/charplan/

Lvl 50 is max lvl so that lets you plan how you spend your training points.

You're the best!!!

Mblake81
01-18-2019, 12:36 AM
Real talk, DAOC was the better game. p99 gives you the nostalgia, but DAOC just had so much more fascinating content (to me at least).

I couldn't disagree more. Respect your opinion, you do you. Never have I wished to replay DAOC. It never had that special certain something (to me).

I can name some of the classes, I can recall being with my friends and getting sniped by stealth archers. I think they had some sort of sneak attack bonus and a skill that allowed them to run away quickly for a moment then go stealth once out of range.

We played it on release day. I can't name a single player city, dungeon or area. I recall visual memories of some places but for the most part DAOC was a toss away game. I do not recall anyone roleplaying on DAOC. It was pvp focused, no worthwhile memories leveling up or talking with other people. I can't even recall the server name but I can tell you Bristlebane to this day. I can recall the name of the kid I met in Qeynos and traveled to Freeport with, his gnomes name was Bestill.

Edit: I can appreciate people wanting something new. Hope you guys have fun.

Evia
01-19-2019, 05:54 PM
I cant decide what class to play!

Kel - 13 Runemaster
Kell - 11 Healer
Resken - 10 Warrior
Wil - 10 Skald
Kellian - 10 Shadowblade

ScaringChildren
01-19-2019, 06:26 PM
I've been playing the shit outta my Berserker. He's badass.

But I also have an AOE Runemaster since it appears "Bomb groups" are so popular.

Nirgon
01-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Big doinks in Hibernia

ScaringChildren
01-20-2019, 06:50 PM
Big doinks in Hibernia

Hib is dominating.

Damn OP Animists...

Nirgon
01-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Been kicking the ever lovin shit out of Alb this time

Feels good

ScaringChildren
01-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Been kicking the ever lovin shit out of Alb this time

Feels good

Yeah, Alb is straight booty.

Gilder
01-21-2019, 11:15 PM
I'm on Hib, rolled a Mentalist as that's what I loved back in the day. Feels like everyone speaks a second language though now. Took me forever to figure out what the hell bombers were. Hit me up if you want, Zuta is the name.

ScaringChildren
01-21-2019, 11:16 PM
I'm on Hib, rolled a Mentalist as that's what I loved back in the day. Feels like everyone speaks a second language though now. Took me forever to figure out what the hell bombers were. Hit me up if you want, Zuta is the name.

Bomber groups are so hot right now.

I rolled a Warrior on Mid.

Every bomber group needs a tank or two

Gilder
01-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Anyone around level 20-24 wanna do some Thid this week?

Evia
02-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Anyone around level 20-24 wanna do some Thid this week?
I would if you weren’t a filthy elf!🤪

My healer is 35 now and my runemaster 24. Surprised how much I enjoy the healer.

ScaringChildren
02-03-2019, 11:01 PM
I would if you weren’t a filthy elf!🤪

My healer is 35 now and my runemaster 24. Surprised how much I enjoy the healer.

38 Berserker here.

How do people play Healers? They have zero offensive skills.

Evia
02-04-2019, 06:35 AM
38 Berserker here.

How do people play Healers? They have zero offensive skills.

Feels kinda like an enchanter in eq that trades charm for heals. Definitely an ultra group dependent class but I've never had any issues getting a group.

DMN
02-04-2019, 07:12 AM
Isn't this server one of those ones you can get 50 in a day or something?

White_knight
02-04-2019, 07:17 AM
Healer in DAoC so fun, esp if your pacify spec too

ScaringChildren
02-04-2019, 07:20 AM
Isn't this server one of those ones you can get 50 in a day or something?

No. I've been playing every day since launch and I'm only 39.

They do have "Collection Tasks" added in to make the leveling experience more enjoyable though.

DMN
02-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Healer in DAoC so fun, esp if your pacify spec too

It can be, but it can also be a giant PITA. Way too many hotkeys and often way too many responsibilities in RVR.

ScaringChildren
02-04-2019, 07:25 AM
It can be, but it can also be a giant PITA. Way too many hotkeys and often way too many responsibilities in RVR.

Agreed.

Healer and Mezzer?

No thanks. I already have a full time job.

DMN
02-04-2019, 07:30 AM
No. I've been playing every day since launch and I'm only 39.

They do have "Collection Tasks" added in to make the leveling experience more enjoyable though.

Hrm. think i read on their forums about groups hitting 50 in less than a day played. Maybe bomber groups or something?

DMN
02-04-2019, 07:34 AM
Agreed.

Healer and Mezzer?

No thanks. I already have a full time job.

They have de-mez too and of course stun.

ScaringChildren
02-04-2019, 07:37 AM
Hrm. think i read on their forums about groups hitting 50 in less than a day played. Maybe bomber groups or something?

Yeah, there are bomber groups. They're popular. But they're not going to get you 50 in one day.

I'm sure there were people level 50 in one day, but it was probably Hibs exploiting the Animist being so strong in this patch.

No pet limit, and only one LoS check.

Gilder
02-07-2019, 10:38 AM
I would if you weren’t a filthy elf!��

Hah, yep. Hibernia was my old realm and Mentalist was the only class I ever played, so I wanted to start in familiar territory. I'm blown away by how much I forgot. The first 2 weeks I was a total noob just wandering around.

To play off your point though, I'm surprised how much I enjoy playing melee. I know they're gimped on this server, but man Champions are hella fun. Insta debuffs and you get to swing big ass large weapons. Really enjoying the hybrid melee. Feels like a *fun* more playable version of the SK on EQ.

I might start a Midgard toon because I never played there (started in Alb but quickly switched to Hib). But that 12 hour timer... gotta pick your moments when switching realms.

Evia
02-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Hah, yep. Hibernia was my old realm and Mentalist was the only class I ever played, so I wanted to start in familiar territory. I'm blown away by how much I forgot. The first 2 weeks I was a total noob just wandering around.

To play off your point though, I'm surprised how much I enjoy playing melee. I know they're gimped on this server, but man Champions are hella fun. Insta debuffs and you get to swing big ass large weapons. Really enjoying the hybrid melee. Feels like a *fun* more playable version of the SK on EQ.

I might start a Midgard toon because I never played there (started in Alb but quickly switched to Hib). But that 12 hour timer... gotta pick your moments when switching realms.

No I totally get your reasoning for playing Hib! It was my main realm back in the day where I mained a Bard. Bard is still my favorite class in any MMO I've played...but Healer will have to do since my static party unanimously chose midgard.

I have also thought about rolling another Bard but yeah, that 12hr timer makes it tougher to pull off. Id hate to play my hib bard and have my static party want to play and I'm locked out..

If you decide to try midgard out tho hit me up!

ScaringChildren
02-07-2019, 12:17 PM
But that 12 hour timer... gotta pick your moments when switching realms.

I decided to delete all my Alb characters yesterday so I could play my Mid characters without waiting 12 hours.

Poor Alb is a disorganized mess right now.

Grizzler
02-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Played on launch day. Leveled 2 chars to lvl 3 and on each got red magic armor and weapons/instruments with procs and stats. Butchered the original game so folks could run around in the old world with live like qol. Stopped playing, don't think I'll be back.

Evia
02-07-2019, 12:43 PM
like many I played uth, I boxed 3 chars and my buddy boxed 3 and we both quit in our 40s because exp was absolutely terrible

probably going to try the phoenix emu only because it was made by genesis staff and they understand if it takes too long to level casuals quit

im wondering if you guys are playing what classes are op ?

Animists are the most OP i hear. On Midgard I'd say Thanes are kinda OP since they buffed them up, They tank almost as well as warriors and nuke almost as well as runemasters. Paladins and Friars in alb got a big boost too I hear so they are pretty powerful.

morphem
02-07-2019, 01:04 PM
Played on launch day. Leveled 2 chars to lvl 3 and on each got red magic armor and weapons/instruments with procs and stats. Butchered the original game so folks could run around in the old world with live like qol. Stopped playing, don't think I'll be back.

Same here
The server is a joke

ScaringChildren
02-07-2019, 03:07 PM
Same here
The server is a joke

The server is amazing.

ROGs are amazing.

The QoL changes are great and they don't hurt the classic feel.

If anything, classic didn't have enough drops while leveling and it was such a grind fest.

The realm tasks are also a great addition which helps create action in RVR. On live, everyone just camped out in Emain.

Now people are everywhere.

Thanes, Champions and Paladins are viable for RVR now.

It's just so much better than Uth and even Live.

Evia
02-07-2019, 04:11 PM
The server is amazing.

ROGs are amazing.

The QoL changes are great and they don't hurt the classic feel.

If anything, classic didn't have enough drops while leveling and it was such a grind fest.

The realm tasks are also a great addition which helps create action in RVR. On live, everyone just camped out in Emain.

Now people are everywhere.

Thanes, Champions and Paladins are viable for RVR now.

It's just so much better than Uth and even Live.

I couldn't agree more. I thought the non classic changes were going to ruin the game for me and it would feel too easy, but that definitely hasn't been the case. If anything the game feels more like EQ in the excitement for drops. Original DAOC I was in rags until the 40s when I started having crafters make my specific armor and spellcrafted builds. Now I can adventure and find loot thats decent enough to take me to 50.

ScaringChildren
02-07-2019, 04:19 PM
I couldn't agree more. I thought the non classic changes were going to ruin the game for me and it would feel too easy, but that definitely hasn't been the case. If anything the game feels more like EQ in the excitement for drops. Original DAOC I was in rags until the 40s when I started having crafters make my specific armor and spellcrafted builds. Now I can adventure and find loot thats decent enough to take me to 50.

Yeah, it didn't make the game too easy.

If you accidentally pull two even level mobs on a fully decked out character, there's a real risk of dying.

But if you're careful and smart, you can successfully grind out some levels on characters who had no chance at being soloers on classic.

Plus the Frontier XP bonus promotes organic world-RVR action. Is there some gray-ganking? Sure, but there's usually a high level person ready to hunt them down for you. It just makes the game feel more like real RVR. Everyone feels it, not just the level 50s.

It just works.

Sckrilla
02-12-2019, 09:35 PM
Heard Mid is just wrecking the entire server, not only in pop, but zergfest RvR action due to the RvR-related tasks. Was thinking about rolling up a Mid char and giving it a go, any insight?

Rang
02-12-2019, 09:44 PM
Heard Mid is just wrecking the entire server, not only in pop, but zergfest RvR action due to the RvR-related tasks. Was thinking about rolling up a Mid char and giving it a go, any insight?

Yeah basically this. Mids are just out in zerg force 24/7 it seems like. Good realm for cookie cutters but if you want a challenge I'd go Alb.

DinoTriz2
02-12-2019, 09:59 PM
Berserkers are my favorite class, so I had to roll Mid.

Oh, and vikings.

Cen
02-14-2019, 12:14 AM
I am on Hibernia so far as a bard named Cenro. I have other characters im considering but haven't picked out all I like. Trying Enchanter and a Hero as well. Might do a ranger.

I played Mid and Alb in classic and never Hibernia, so I decided id finally try the last. The nice thing about Hibernia is all the races get used, where midgard is all trolls lol

DinoTriz2
02-14-2019, 12:27 AM
I just hit 50 about ten minutes ago.

Feels good

FatherSioux
02-14-2019, 12:58 AM
Sell me on what makes daoc fun? I tried a free emu server a while ago and was totally lost.

Sckrilla
02-14-2019, 01:37 AM
I made a Hib NS. Relearning this fucking game. Who wants to give me some gold for endo pots? ;p In-game name = Masha.

DinoTriz2
02-14-2019, 07:13 AM
Sell me on what makes daoc fun? I tried a free emu server a while ago and was totally lost.

It's known for the RVR, but the PVE is also fun.

I usually play melee characters on games, and daoc has the best combat system imo. With combos and positioning, it's fun to play melee.

DAOC also has a ton of classes, so that's great if you're an altaholic.

But the RVR is where it shines. I tend to avoid PVP like the plague on games, but it's different on DAOC.

There's a lot of keep defense/attacking, so it always feels like some huge event.

You can make battering rams and then everyone can jump inside to move the ram, you can make catapults, which enemy rogues can sabotage.

Also rogues can climb castle walls, so if you like rogues, they are so awesome in this game.

Taking keeps gives bonuses to all players in your realm, so there's real incentive to do it.

There's also a PVE dungeon that you can unlock for your realm, but all realms can acess it, so if another realm captures it and you're inside, they can hunt you down. It's a really cool concept.

Sckrilla
02-14-2019, 11:53 AM
I am a mid, its middle pop realm

albs and hibs seem to win most zerg fights due to professional window drag mezzing

most servers mid is typically heavy on melee, this time I see more healers shamans and casters then anything else, melee is like 20% pop
Middle pop realm? Every day I check including right now Mid is usuallly 200+ more people. /serverinfo top 3 is almost always Skald/Shaman/Healer since I've checked. Forums seem to portray a different outcome with Mid zerging 24/7 lately generally running over everyone. Albs Herald numbers are absolutely abysmal and sad.

Sckrilla
02-14-2019, 12:59 PM
Which accurately reflects that Mid is NOT the middle populated realm. That number will sky rocket come NA primetime too.

Nexii
02-14-2019, 01:23 PM
I loved Midgard, wish it was realistic to play both DAOC and P99. Was first 50 Shaman on my realm and 2nd 50 Spiritmaster. If I had to do it again though I'd play Supp RM or Healer though, both were OP in comparison

DinoTriz2
02-14-2019, 06:26 PM
Supp SMs are needed everywhere because of the PBAOE bomber group trend.

But yeah, Mid is consistently the highest pop realm lately.

It used to be Hib in the beginning, when half the server was made up of Animists.

Cen
02-15-2019, 02:20 AM
https://i.imgur.com/jWU50Qn.png

I just gotta say, I only played classic DAOC for a very short time and remember nothing about it, but the bard class on that game is so much fun (just like EQ bard is a lot of fun :) The graphics are pretty nice for a classic server though :p

I got a Celtic bard on Phoenix now to match my P99 human bard ;D Its a great class, its a healer / CC master / support thing all in one. Lacks melee damage, but hell, im used to that.

I am on a break from P99 due to too much Guardian Robe insanity. Been farming for too many hours for nothing.

DinoTriz2
02-15-2019, 09:39 AM
You can switch the graphics back to Classic in the options menu.

Imo DAOC did it right when they updated their character models. They look the same, only more polished.

Evia
02-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Im thinking about switching to Hibernia...

Sckrilla
02-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Mid is god awful on this emu. Mindless zerging 24/7. I'd just you guys make some alts on Hibside as Alb is nice until you see the nonparticipation in RvR. Apparently all Albs want to do is PvE Caer Sidi... Hib seems to be the least populated lately but still has better RvR numbers (by a lot) than Alb.

DinoTriz2
02-16-2019, 08:35 PM
I honestly haven't been playing RVR on Mid recently.

I'm trying to get my Berserker templated. I just maxed Salvaging today.

But what I've seen so far is Alb seems to be PVE focused, but they are getting more organized in RVR. It used to be way worse.

Hib used to own RVR. Straight up dominate. But now they seem to be the lowest population consistently.

I haven't noticed the Mid zerg, but like I said I haven't been deep in RVR yet. I do wish we raided TG more though. I need more feathers, dammit.

Sckrilla
02-16-2019, 08:37 PM
Alb becoming more org'd because apparently a lot of Hibs moved over. That's the rumor mill in /adv and such at least.

Gilder
02-20-2019, 10:33 AM
I loved Midgard, wish it was realistic to play both DAOC and P99. Was first 50 Shaman on my realm and 2nd 50 Spiritmaster. If I had to do it again though I'd play Supp RM or Healer though, both were OP in comparison

Dude it's totally feasible to play both -- they're free emulated games from a lifetime ago.

I started a Champion to play when I'm not playing my Mentalist and holy shit they are fun.

I haven't been able to play much lately because my motorcycle got stolen and i've been dealing with all kinds of shit, so it's just not even appealing to hop onto the computer after a day of work and phone calls. But I'm glad to hear Mid is stepping up and challenging Hib in RvR. It felt like Hib was a powerhouse when I first started on the server.

DinoTriz2
02-20-2019, 11:14 AM
Put my Berserker on pause.

Switched to Savage instead.

Glad I did. They're beasts.

DinoTriz2
02-20-2019, 12:37 PM
This proves you spend 0 time RVRing and are probably RR1

Nah, my Zerker is R3L4.

It's easy to rank up on Phoenix though.

FatherSioux
02-20-2019, 06:34 PM
How is the solo gameplay for a busy lad?

DinoTriz2
02-20-2019, 06:49 PM
How is the solo gameplay for a busy lad?

PVE or RVR?

Soloing is absolutely possible for every class, just some are better than others.

The Collection Tasks make soloing a lot less painful.

Solo RVRers are usually stealthers of some sort. And they definitely make it work because they're usually on top of the RP Leaderboards.

I think a Ranger is currently #1 atm.

DinoTriz2
02-20-2019, 07:19 PM
zerker is my fav class , I know savages do more dmg but their animation is terrible when swinging and I cant bring myself to make one

XP Is terrible I want an alt, I went rune because I knew I could get in mod groups and I also found spots people aoe'd and leeched the shit out of their pulls

Yeah, I agree. Savages do look like they need to take a dump when in combat.

But holy shit, they tear things up. If you like Berserkers, you need to at least try Savage.

DinoTriz2
02-20-2019, 08:41 PM
I invested my leveling money into maxing out Salvaging.

I spend like 20 minutes farming level 50 mobs on my Berserker, salvage all the weapons and armor. Turn it all into hinges and sell them all.

I can make like a platinum in a half hour or so.

That's on a Berserker too, imagine what you could do with a Bonedancer.

FatherSioux
02-21-2019, 09:33 AM
List of non-stupid classes?

Gilder
02-21-2019, 11:23 AM

Don't worry about that -- just play what you enjoy. It's an ancient game. You start your toon and are automatically enrolled in a Starter Guild. Ask questions, people will gladly answer.

Archers aren't gonna be great, but you can play em. Bard classes seem pretty popular. Casters more so than melee.

Guarantee you'll find something you enjoy. Just try em out. The claseses are awesome in DAoC and the melee combinations/positioning make EQ melee looking boring AF.

DinoTriz2
02-21-2019, 11:49 AM

Hibernia

Animist: A very unique class. You summon little stationary pets that last a minute that act as turret guns. Excellent at PVE and castle defense in RVR.

Bard: "musical" class. Think Bard from Everquest, but with healing abilities. Crucial for PVE and RVR.

Blademaster: Dual-wielding melee DPS class. Has a special ability called "Triple Wield" which increases damage temporarily. Usually the Main Assist in RVR groups.

Champion: a melee DPS class that specializes in debuffing. Can absolutely cripple stats, but harder to find RVR groups. Mostly solos in RVR.

Druid: the main healer. Gets a pet, heals, buffs. Pretty standard healer. Needed in PVE and RVR.

Eldritch: main magical damage dealer. Gets bolts, which are massive damaging spells. You can kill some people in two hits. Also gets a 9 second stun for extra fun.

Enchanter: standard pet class. Very good at PVE. Gets PBAOE spells that wreck mobs.

Hero: standard defensive tank. Also gets "Celtic Spear", which is a badass two hander weapon. Can shapeshift into a moose to increase health.

Mentalist: DoTs and HoTs. Interesting class, but DoTs aren't used in RVR as they break CC. But like an Eldritch if specced differently. Also gets the "Clarity" of DAOC, so they're loved in groups.

Nightshade: Assassin class. With spell casting. Like a normal rogue, but they can cast a couple of spells. Solo RVR

Ranger: Archer class. They get self buffs, which are nice. Can also dual wield. Solo RVR

Valewalker: Monk class. You wear caster robes and carry a huge scythe, with self buffs and nukes as well. Hybrid melee, magic DPS. Solo RVR

Warden: An interesting hybrid melee class. Can be a healer or a buff/warrior type. Sort of like a Paladin.

Albion

Armsman: plate wearing main tank. Also gets access to Polearm and Crossbow for DPS when needed. Needed in both PVE and RVR.

Cabalist: standard pet class. Very good at PVE. Gets DoTs that wreck mobs. Also has a focus buff that turns your pet into a beast that kils everything, but you can't move or else it cancels. Needed in PVE/RVR

Cleric: the main healer. Heals, buffs, and casts lightning bolts (smiting). Needed in PVE and RVR.

Friar: Monk class. Uses a Staff to beat shit up. Excellent soloer in PVE. Melee DPS or heals.

Infiltrator: Assassin class. Gets more skill points than other assassin classes. Solo RVR.

Mercenary: Dual-wielding melee DPS class. Has a special ability called "Dirty Tricks" which makes enemy attacks miss you temporarily. Usually the Main Assist in RVR groups.

Minstrel: "musical" class. Absolutely OP in RVR. Can't heal like Bard, but much more diverse.

Necromancer: Unique class where you play through your pet and you're invincible until your pet dies. Very good PVE soloer. Not useful in RVR, unfortunately.

Paladin: Gets "Chants" which are temporary buffs but people twist them like a Bard. Wears Plate. Very good at PVE solo/group. Rarely used in RVR though.

Reaver: Kind of like Shadowknights. More DPS focused though. Gets flail weapons and great RVR soloers. Can stun people and then hit them in the back, pretty much gameover if they stun you.

Scout: Archer class. No self-buffs like other archers. But gets shield skills and can stun. Bow slightly out damages and longer range than other archers.

Sorcerer: Think Enchanter from EQ, but with way more DPS. OP RVR class. Can kill entire groups by himself if skilled.

Theurgist: Pet class but with a twist. Fire and forget pets. Great for interrupting casting. Excellent at solo PVE and great for groups in RVR.

Wizard: the uber magic DPS class. Gets bolts which can two shot people. Also gets PBAOE spells, which PVE groups love. Not as good in RVR, but not gimped.

Midgard

Berserker: Dual-wielding melee DPS class. Has a special ability called "Berserk" which makes every melee attack a critical temporarily. Usually the Main Assist in RVR groups.

Bonedancer: Unique pet class. Can summon like 5 pets at once and can mix and match, spell caster, archer, healing pets, etc. Very good PVE soloer.

Healer: the main healer. Also gets really good CC and a nice Haste buff. Needed in PVE and RVR.

Hunter: Archer class. Gets a pet dog! And self buffs. Uses 2 handed spear for melee as well.

Runemaster: the uber magic DPS class. Gets bolts which can two shot people. Also gets running speed buff. Cool AOE spell effects.

Savage: Monk class. Fights with...sharpened buck antlers? I think. Can quad-hit and gets 15 second self buffs that need refreshing (annoying), but absolutely wrecks in PVE and RVR.

Shadowblade: Assassin class. Can use a two handed weapon to backstab people with. Solo RVR

Shaman: Main buffing class. Can also heal. Very good solo PVE. RVR groups want buffs though, so that can be boring. Amazing kiter though.

Skald: Musical class. Think Bard, but without instruments. Excellent soloer in RVR, but groups want you too. Very popular class.

Spiritmaster: standard pet class. Very good at PVE. Gets PBAOE spells that wreck mobs.

Thane: Hybrid class. Shield warrior, but with self buffs and lighting bolt attacks.

Warrior: Defensive tank. Absolute beast. Stuns with shield, switches to two hander and wrecks people.

FatherSioux
02-21-2019, 12:40 PM
Nice I might check it out. Can you box?

DinoTriz2
02-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Nice I might check it out. Can you box?

Nah, it's like P99 in that regard.

America
02-21-2019, 01:12 PM
How does RVR work? You level through it?

DinoTriz2
02-21-2019, 03:15 PM
How does RVR work? You level through it?

You can, but it's much slower than standard PVE leveling.

DAOC has a system of "Realm Ranks", which is like EQ's version of AAs. You can purchase different abilities/skill points/Crit chance/etc the more you level up in PVP/RVR.

Each realm (team) has a series of frontier zones where PVP is enabled. There are Outpost keeps and Relic keeps in these zones.

The idea is to try to take as many of these keeps as possible. Keeps are defended by AI guards, castle doors, and a hard raid-type "boss" inside the keep. Once you kill the boss, your realm captures the keep.

If your realm holds the most keeps, they gain access to a special dungeon that anyone from 10-50 can access. There are nice drops here and every mob drops currency that you can use to purchase nice gear.

If another realm captures more keeps while you're in the dungeon, they can gain access and come in and kill you.

The major keeps (relic keeps) for each realm are the hardest to take and they're deep inside each realm's frontier. If you can take an enemy realm's relics, it boosts exp/gold/stats for everyone in your realm.

It's a pretty fun system.

Then there's the "Realm Tasks", which are "hot spots" for PVP action. The task tells you to go to a certain frontier or keep and you get bonus points for participating. It's a great tool for lower level players too, because even if you get killed you get credit. So you could be level 1 and do those tasks and get Realm Rank 10 or whatever and just become an absolute beast for a level 1.

America
02-21-2019, 03:16 PM
That sounds really fun. Would you roll a character to play with me? And teach me how to play? I don't have the patience to git gud on my own. I want to play a Healer, I think (I like the sound of healz + CC)

DinoTriz2
02-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I can help you with it.

I play on Midgard as well. I play a little kobold Savage named "Bloodthirsty Toddler"

DinoTriz2
02-21-2019, 05:50 PM
There are actually a ton of people who are brand new to DAOC on the server.

It's refreshing to see.

Usually with these servers it's all vets.

Mblake81
02-21-2019, 06:36 PM
The claseses are awesome in DAoC and the melee combinations/positioning make EQ melee looking boring AF.

Yep (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nD0Ld6kYQ8)

The 3rd person perspective was prophetic for games to come. Wow classic soon.

Mblake81
02-21-2019, 08:07 PM
I cracked a window and a gush of air whooshed over my head.

DinoTriz2
02-26-2019, 08:17 PM
Who just messaged me in DAOC?

Show yourself!

WHO SENT YOU??

Fifield
02-28-2019, 09:31 AM
I really like that you can switch realms, always played midgard and this server gave me and my buddies a chance to learn some alb and hibernia classes.

First off Animist on Hib side. that is so god damn OP. I didnt even know a ground target existed untill i made that class. ALso valewalker is badass.

For albs me and my friend found Paladin/Cabalist a great combo.

Fun times. Great server

DinoTriz2
02-28-2019, 09:55 AM
I really like that you can switch realms, always played midgard and this server gave me and my buddies a chance to learn some alb and hibernia classes.

First off Animist on Hib side. that is so god damn OP. I didnt even know a ground target existed untill i made that class. ALso valewalker is badass.

For albs me and my friend found Paladin/Cabalist a great combo.

Fun times. Great server

Yeah, I had some fun fighting some Animists last night who were spawning about 20 shrooms on top of each other behind trees.

They nerfed them in later patches but people sure are taking advantage of them in classic.

I'm not sure who created the class, but allowing someone to summon unlimited pets with only one LOS check is a bit hilarious.

Cen
02-28-2019, 01:02 PM
In on hib not alb but whiever designed therugist was a madman