PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better duo

Jlpstrtkng
12-24-2018, 01:25 AM
than a shaman and monk? my brother and I are like a freight train just wrecking shit it almost seems unfair. got me thinking, what are some good class combinations and are there any better (more effective) than ours?

UnHoLyPoWeR
12-24-2018, 01:33 AM
than a shaman and monk? my brother and I are like a freight train just wrecking shit it almost seems unfair. got me thinking, what are some good class combinations and are there any better (more effective) than ours?

Enchanter and Cleric is the obvious one, Enchanter hastes pet, kills everything, Cleric Complete Heals pet when it gets low.

Crede
12-24-2018, 04:50 AM
Yea enchanter cleric is more powerful when it comes to leveling. Hasted torched pets combined with cheal and mez can basically grind anywhere and be efficient at it. In the end game I’d probably take monk/shaman for certain nameds when they’re both geared and shaman has op torpor but that’s a long way to get there enchanter cleric is just cheaper and more powerful in nearly every aspect.

I’d put enchanter/Druid pretty damn high up there too. If you’re sticking to animal areas for Druid charm you’re blowing through shit Faster than a monk/shaman ever could. there’s a lot of synergy between the 2 classes. Enchanter/ Necro in undead areas basically just as powerful as enchanter/Druid

Dreenk317
12-24-2018, 06:25 AM
Its unconventional, but bard and rogue, in any area with room to move in a circle. And you can kill any single mob. Bard can easily split most camps for singles. Easiest in open, outdoor zones. But works great in places like karnors, places in kaesora, can work it in high keep in the basement. Basically once bard has snare song, its game on. Bard snares and single target dots. Rogue just backstabs, melees, and shit dies.

melandis
12-24-2018, 06:58 AM
For reference, this grid of matches got posted a while back and may be of interest...

https://vivid-inferno-1662.firebaseapp.com/

elwing
12-24-2018, 08:37 AM
Bard and rogue is a strange choice... Necro +rogue makes more sense as it fix the summon issue or bard+wiz to kill multiples at once...both makes more sense than bard+rogue...

aaezil
12-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Charming will be the most efficient option since mobs do waaaaaayy more dps than players ever do

Teppler
12-24-2018, 09:19 AM
Monk shaman is really only ideal if there’s challenging pulling involved.

Otherwise shaman/rogue has better dps. Lead off fights with slow, keep aggro and let rogue back stab. That’s more efficient and faster than slowing mid fight with a monk.

Without the pulling aspect monks act pretty much the same as all other melees with sham.

Enchanter charmed pet has better dps than monk and more hp than well geared warrior.

Each camp has specifics to it. Chanter is King some places. Shaman king in others. Some areas necro is king. There’s some zones and camps where charming has no use. There’s some zones and camps where it’s the only viable option.

kotton05
12-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Um a cleric chanter can pull just as easy with paci/soothe/mem blurs/roots

Cleric chanter is by far the best where charm is an option.

Dillusional
12-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Enchanter + Cleric = best

Dillusional
12-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Bard and rogue is a strange choice... Necro +rogue makes more sense as it fix the summon issue or bard+wiz to kill multiples at once...both makes more sense than bard+rogue...

Bard + Rogue fear kiting sounds pretty good. Bards can keep a mob perma feared + snared and also haste at the same time while throwing in a little bit of melee damage of their own. Not everyone who wants to play bard has the focus / internet connection required to swarm kite.

wizard + bard seems impossible to manage with agroe the wizard would pull. It would basically be the bard power leveling the wizard.

necro rogue may be better than bard / rogue for fear kite duo I'm not sure. But if you want to duo with a bard, rogue + bard seems pretty good.

Teppler
12-24-2018, 10:37 AM
Um a cleric chanter can pull just as easy with paci/soothe/mem blurs/roots

Cleric chanter is by far the best where charm is an option.

With very upper level camps you often need a monk to FD split.

Jlpstrtkng
12-24-2018, 11:29 AM
Cleric and Chanter makes a lot of sense I never thought about that combo. My monk can tank pretty decently and riposte helps with dps too. The way we do it I don’t really need heals mend is usually enough if he keeps me buffed and hasted but he will throw an occasional heal if we get a particularly tough mob or something. We went two hours last night non stop without needing but one med break.

Lordgordon
12-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Paladin + Sk is really good for obvious reasons.

Qtip
12-24-2018, 01:45 PM
Enchanter+ shaman is the best combo in game. Putting cleric in there for complete heal is worthless considering you can just switch pets up.

Malo, torpor, slow+tank beats complete heal.

Raev
12-24-2018, 01:52 PM
I continue to believe that Monk is hugely overrated on this server. Monks are fantastic **if** you get a Vulak/Tunare fist, primal, and enough Dozekar loots to hit 5000 HP/1500 AC or so at which point you start to become a true pull/dps/tank triple threat. A 'normal' epic/scepter/white lotus monk is way behind comparably geared rogues in damage and knights in tanking ability (you aren't even in the same conversation with warriors). And even the uber geared monks spend most of their raiding cycles as weak rogues, not pulling (because everyone and their brother has a monk) or tanking (because everyone and their brother has a warrior). Monks certainly aren't weak, of course, but they aren't as good as the fungi/cof/tstaff twinks make them look either.

Enchanter, on the other hand, is hugely underrated here as 'that class that casts VoG on my monk'. Once we get the next patch (eta 2020) and TOV hatchlings are charmable, Enchanters will be able to charm in basically every zone that matters except Veeshan's Peak. Assuming you never need bathroom breaks, you can already own Kael, ST, Sky, Hate, and Fear, let alone the leveling zones. Cleric is boring in full groups but pretty fun when grouped with an Enchanter as you have to watch out for charm breaks. Enchanter/Cleric is also a bit more extensible in my opinion, while Monk/Shaman tends to become unbalanced.

Probably the absolute fastest leveling combination is Enchanter/Druid (HT: Crede). You don't have waste time running around and can focus on areas where both classes can charm, like Chardok. But at 60 it's clearly weaker.

P.S. great Red-bashing signature

Raev
12-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Enchanter+ shaman is the best combo in game. Putting cleric in there for complete heal is worthless considering you can just switch pets up.

Malo, torpor, slow+tank beats complete heal.

Definitely disagree here. Clerics aren't amazing because they can CH your pet, they are amazing because they give you +1100 HP (vs +200 from a Shaman), stun the pet on charm breaks, and clean up with 96% rez when you wipe, which will happen regardless of how good you are.

Qtip
12-24-2018, 02:23 PM
Definitely disagree here. Clerics aren't amazing because they can CH your pet, they are amazing because they give you +1100 HP (vs +200 from a Shaman), stun the pet on charm breaks, and clean up with 96% rez when you wipe, which will happen regardless of how good you are.

Until your charm breaks, you get summoned and one rounded and the cleric gets the same fate.

Much easier 55+ when you can send pet, tash, mind wipe and have the shaman tank when he gets summoned on breaks while using torpor for you to get pet ready again.

Dreenk317
12-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Until your charm breaks, you get summoned and one rounded and the cleric gets the same fate.

Much easier 55+ when you can send pet, tash, mind wipe and have the shaman tank when he gets summoned on breaks while using torpor for you to get pet ready again.

You must have missed the part where the clerics stuns were mentioned. A good cleric/chanted duo, on pet break the cleric stuns, while chanter is tashing, then pet is charmed with there second cast.
Or both chanter and cleric can stun if worried about resists. Point is, cleric is infinitely more helpful on a pet break than a shaman is. All the shaman can do on pet break is Malo, and heal, and slow and root. Two of those things are extremely detrimental to a charm pet. And a cleric could easily take a few hits, just like a shaman in your scenario.

bomaroast
12-24-2018, 02:32 PM
Teppler is a dumbass. Don't listen to him. What shaman waits till halfway through a fight to slow? Dumbass

Also monks are a better duo partner than any of the hybrids, and I would argue the rogue also. Rogue is more dps, sure, but the shaman is going to be very busy keeping that duo functioning. And until Canni4/Torpor comes along, the shaman is going to always be oom. Better to have the duo partner taking the hits so the shaman can med.

Raev
12-24-2018, 04:27 PM

I don't think there are any NPCs that Shamans can torpor tank that will also 1-round an Enchanter with cleric buffs before Stun Command/Color Shift/Boltrans can clean the situation up.

I guess you are referring to the Plane of Mischief puppets. In my experience Shaman struggle to tank those, and anyway Enchanter/Cleric works quite well there if the Cleric uses stuns to stay above the Enchanter on the hatelist. The cleric gets summoned, takes a quick step away from the remaining puppets, and stuns the enchanter pet.

Qtip
12-24-2018, 04:43 PM
I don't think there are any NPCs that Shamans can torpor tank that will also 1-round an Enchanter with cleric buffs before Stun Command/Color Shift/Boltrans can clean the situation up.

I guess you are referring to the Plane of Mischief puppets. In my experience Shaman struggle to tank those, and anyway Enchanter/Cleric works quite well there if the Cleric uses stuns to stay above the Enchanter on the hatelist. The cleric gets summoned, takes a quick step away from the remaining puppets, and stuns the enchanter pet.

Cleric stun/cheal/buff isnt as strong as malo/torpor/slow/buff.

As an enchanter on a charm break, I would rather have a shaman get summoned and have to tank for 4 secs on 2 summons by the time my pet is back up.

Then relying on the cleric to cast stun and heal me.

But stun, 800 hp and CH isnt as overpowered as torpor, slow and malo on a velious geared shaman.

Xaeophi
12-24-2018, 05:49 PM
I'd personally rather have Aego from the cleric > whatever shaman does in reference to the best duo for an ench.

Pringles
12-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Prefer shm/ench when leveling and at 60 over ench/clr. In a vacuum they are pretty close but the availability of cleric bots and velious hp gear diminishes the cleric duo in my mind. Shaman also doesn't really have trouble tanking something like puppets until the last two(names escape me). However you probably have an aego or symbol so even those two are trivialized. Different strokes?

Xaeophi
12-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Both suffice for puppets. Shamans can take a few hits when a charm breaks.. Clerics can CH your pet, stun, also take a few hits and do an overall better job at healing.
Both shaman and cleric are adequate classes to duo with an ench I think it really comes down to preference more then anything.

MamaKan
12-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Monk Shaman can duo king.

Wallicker
12-24-2018, 07:15 PM
Can necro + shaman duo king?

Raev
12-24-2018, 07:22 PM
As an enchanter on a charm break, I would rather have a shaman get summoned and have to tank for 4 secs on 2 summons by the time my pet is back up.

I don't think you read my post. The point is that by throwing a few stuns the cleric stays ahead of the enchanter on the hate list, and thus the enchanter is never summoned.

Then relying on the cleric to cast stun and heal me.

Where are you getting this? When charm breaks I'm not screaming in discord for the cleric to cast Stun Command; I'm casting Color Flux myself. If I channel CF and it's not resisted, then I could be duoing with a Rogue and all would be well. But when I'm getting chain interrupted or resisted it's great to see Stun Command land and time stop, not to mention the extra 1000 HP on my buff bar. Meanwhile, the only thing the Shaman can do is cast a puny 400 HP heal that mitigates one round of charmed pet melee if that. Torpor and its 6 second casting time followed by another 0-6 seconds before it ticks for an even punier 300 HP is even worse.

Now you can argue that Malo extends charm durations and reduces the chance of stun resists, and you would be correct. And I'm certainly not claiming SHM/ENC is terrible. But I think it's a lot easier to simply give the pet -40 MR in gear, and I don't really want to be charming a pet that is resisting more than 5-10% of stuns anyway.

TLDR: I just don't see how anyone can possibly argue that a Shaman is better at keeping an Enchanter alive on charm breaks than a Cleric.

Teppler
12-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Can necro + shaman duo king?

Need the monk to pull it. Kind of what I was alluding to when talking about needing monk to pull certain high level camps. If a necro could duo pull king I'd be seriously impressed.

Qtip
12-24-2018, 09:35 PM
I don't think you read my post. The point is that by throwing a few stuns the cleric stays ahead of the enchanter on the hate list, and thus the enchanter is never summoned.

Where are you getting this? When charm breaks I'm not screaming in discord for the cleric to cast Stun Command; I'm casting Color Flux myself. If I channel CF and it's not resisted, then I could be duoing with a Rogue and all would be well. But when I'm getting chain interrupted or resisted it's great to see Stun Command land and time stop, not to mention the extra 1000 HP on my buff bar. Meanwhile, the only thing the Shaman can do is cast a puny 400 HP heal that mitigates one round of charmed pet melee if that. Torpor and its 6 second casting time followed by another 0-6 seconds before it ticks for an even punier 300 HP is even worse.

Now you can argue that Malo extends charm durations and reduces the chance of stun resists, and you would be correct. And I'm certainly not claiming SHM/ENC is terrible. But I think it's a lot easier to simply give the pet -40 MR in gear, and I don't really want to be charming a pet that is resisting more than 5-10% of stuns anyway.

TLDR: I just don't see how anyone can possibly argue that a Shaman is better at keeping an Enchanter alive on charm breaks than a Cleric.

The argument was best duo. Leveling up, probably cleric. At 60 farming, shaman. To each their own. Calm down buddy.

Wallicker
12-24-2018, 10:17 PM
What makes monk a better puller than necro? Necro has Rune / DA / Root / snare / fear / Mez and FD...

Crede
12-24-2018, 10:23 PM
I don't think you read my post. The point is that by throwing a few stuns the cleric stays ahead of the enchanter on the hate list, and thus the enchanter is never summoned

If you’ve seen any of Qtip’s other posts he doesn’t read half the shit that he tries to dispute. See the recent thread on enchanter spell gems. Just ignore whatever he says

Hotel
12-24-2018, 10:24 PM
What makes monk a better puller than necro? Necro has Rune / DA / Root / snare / fear / Mez and FD...

Monk has clickies and nothing competes with void dance

Foxplay
12-24-2018, 10:26 PM
Enchanter + Enchanter for leveling up

provided both know what they are doing it utterly tears anything to peices

Clearmind
12-24-2018, 11:00 PM
for most zones/camps cleric chanter is hands down best.

elwing
12-24-2018, 11:18 PM

Cause spell fd suck... Trust me I am a shadowknight and even better suited as pulling than a necro... The spell cast time makes it really hard to pull it with a bunch of caster... The 10second or so recast is even worst...

Qtip
12-24-2018, 11:28 PM
If you’ve seen any of Qtip’s other posts he doesn’t read half the shit that he tries to dispute. See the recent thread on enchanter spell gems. Just ignore whatever he says

I was talking top slot, with a clicky will instantly refresh your spell. Spell cooldown (ToT, Boon) on certain spells is different. You then went into meltdown mode.

That was a different thread, a few weeks ago... So Im guessing you're still in meltdown mode.

Crede
12-24-2018, 11:41 PM
I was talking top slot, with a clicky will instantly refresh your spell. Spell cooldown (ToT, Boon) on certain spells is different. You then went into meltdown mode.

That was a different thread, a few weeks ago... So Im guessing you're still in meltdown mode.

Again you’re not reading because your post was referencing the wiki article I linked which had nothing to do with slot 1. And it’s not instant refresh, quicker at best.

Seriously, gtfo scrub

Crede
12-24-2018, 11:47 PM
And OP enchanter/cleric is a better duo in 99.9% of situations than a shaman/monk with those .01% requiring both monk and shaman to be geared with torpor and level 60

Expediency
12-25-2018, 12:11 AM
Would two enchanters be the best duo if they are vigilant about watching out for each others pet breaking? Just let the pets die or release them at low HP for the 2nd pet to kill for exp?

Hibbs
12-25-2018, 12:58 AM
In leveling from 50-60 my experience in Howling Stones my pref is
1) Enc+Cleric
2) Enc+Necro
3) Enc+Shaman

Its all pref. Ive grouped with A1 clerics and A1 shamans and its such a small amount of difference that it really doesn't matter.

Foxplay
12-25-2018, 01:18 AM
Would two enchanters be the best duo if they are vigilant about watching out for each others pet breaking? Just let the pets die or release them at low HP for the 2nd pet to kill for exp?

I helped someone learn enchanter (my ENC was already 60 though so wasn't getting exp) and did x2 Enchanters it is a rather hilarious combo. We where equipping our pets for -MR and Equipment Haste and wanted to keep the highest level pets possible so we would just lull and memblur our pets and let them heal up, and then recharm

The exp rate is utterly insane however you need ALOT of spawns, so cant really be done in areas with other people / competition as you will be gobbling up lots and lots of spawns. Also 51+ with x2 enchanters you absolutely require to be fighting some caster mobs for ToT otherwise both of you will run OOM and your mana bars wont really keep up with x2 charm dps mowing thru spawns.

Crede
12-25-2018, 02:12 AM
Enc/Druid is my favorite for leveling. 50+ is kedge/chardok/hole. Just so much fun when animals are around. And you can port and go anywhere.

Hibbs
12-25-2018, 02:13 AM
Enc/Druid is my favorite for leveling. 50+ is kedge/chardok/hole. Just so much fun when animals are around. And you can port and go anywhere.

For sure! I had so much fun duoing with a druid on the FV cliffs. We stomped through levels :D