PDA

View Full Version : EQ and Depression

Barnabas
12-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Hello everyone,

As someone who battles severe depression, EQ and Project 99 have been instrumental in my ability to cope and deal with it, not to mention the incredible community behind it. I want to say thank you for the work involved from the P99 staff and the wonderful people here.

Cheers!
Avicious/Fuzzybum

bigjeff100
12-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Makes me happy to read this Barnabas! My wonderful G.F of 4 years battles depression, PTSD, and Bi-Polar. I don't always wake up to the same woman i went to bed next to. And in a matter of seconds, my love can change from a perfect angel, to extremely upset. And it's very tough to turn that around.

Keeping her mind busy is always a priority for me. Just this week, i ordered her a candle making starter kit, she made her first one! And it's been a blessing for her. Here is her first one!

https://i.imgur.com/s50W6EU.jpg

Barnabas
12-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Makes me happy to read this Barnabas! My wonderful G.F of 4 years battles depression, PTSD, and Bi-Polar. I don't always wake up to the same woman i went to bed next to. And in a matter of seconds, my love can change from a perfect angel, to extremely upset. And it's very tough to turn that around.

Keeping her mind busy is always a priority for me. Just this week, i ordered her a candle making starter kit, she made her first one! And it's been a blessing for her. Here is her first one!

https://i.imgur.com/s50W6EU.jpg

You're an angel, friend. If someone went the extra mile for me like that, I would never forget it.

ScaringChildren
12-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Drugs cured my depression.

Sadly it's the only way. (https://katsbotanicals.com/buy-kratom)

bigjeff100
12-20-2018, 01:29 PM
You're an angel, friend. If someone went the extra mile for me like that, I would never forget it.

There is somebody for everybody out there! Never thought the one for me would be the woman i'm with today, but life has a funny way of doing things... That being said, love ya'll! Well most of ya'll.....

Barnabas
12-20-2018, 01:39 PM

I've used CBT to unlearn the extreme negative thought process I have and heal from childhood trauma. Well, mostly. There is always work to do in that area. I never found anything that did much as far as correcting the chemical imbalance though. I do hear about recreational drugs being looked at. I even heard about psychedelic mushrooms and ketamine. Marijuana makes mine worse, for some reason. I'm thinking the dopamine surge has something to do with it.

loramin
12-20-2018, 02:19 PM

In low doses, kratom acts as a stimulant. In large amounts, it acts as a sedative, and the DEA says it can lead to psychotic symptoms and psychological addiction.

You do not want to make a bipolar person psychotic (source: I've been both).

I even heard about psychedelic mushrooms and ketamine. Marijuana makes mine worse, for some reason. I'm thinking the dopamine surge has something to do with it.

If you're curious about the science, scientists have found there is a direct correlation between pot and depression. On the one hand, correlation does not mean causation (eg. maybe pot doesn't make you depressed, maybe it's just that depressed people smoke pot). However, we'll never know, because moral restrictions prevent scientists from ever doing a study where they give fake pot to half the participants, real pot to the other half, and then wait to see who gets more depressed (and potentially suicidal).

So in other words, while science hasn't answered the question (and likely won't until we have a way better understanding of the brain), your response to pot is certainly consistent with the research. As for mushrooms, while there's some preliminary evidence, I don't think anyone has shown in a real (peer-reviewed) study that it helps.

Ketamine on the other hand has, in a clinical study, been shown to cure depression, and super quickly at that (like within an hour). Not saying any psychiatrist would recommend taking it regularly, but it does seem like a good way to help people in crisis.

My wonderful G.F of 4 years battles depression, PTSD, and Bi-Polar. I don't always wake up to the same woman i went to bed next to. And in a matter of seconds, my love can change from a perfect angel, to extremely upset. And it's very tough to turn that around

Your girlfriend needs a better mood stabilizer (depending on her levels maybe more Lithium, or maybe something else like Zyprexa) and she needs to go to sleep/wake up at the same time every day. In my experience if you have those two things (other stuff like a healthy diet and exercise helps, but are less important) you absolutely can be bipolar and NOT be a different person every morning ...

... well, except for the PTSD part: that you can only fix with therapy. Either way good luck to you and her.

Barnabas
12-20-2018, 02:44 PM
You do not want to make a bipolar person psychotic (source: I've been both).

If you're curious about the science, scientists have found there is a direct correlation between pot and depression. On the one hand, correlation does not mean causation (eg. maybe pot doesn't make you depressed, maybe it's just that depressed people smoke pot). However, we'll never know, because moral restrictions prevent scientists from ever doing a study where they give fake pot to half the participants, real pot to the other half, and then wait to see who gets more depressed (and potentially suicidal).

So in other words, while science hasn't answered the question (and likely won't until we have a way better understanding of the brain), your response to pot is certainly consistent with the research. As for mushrooms, while there's some preliminary evidence, I don't think anyone has shown in a real (peer-reviewed) study that it helps.

Ketamine on the other hand has, in a clinical study, been shown to cure depression, and super quickly at that (like within an hour). Not saying any psychiatrist would recommend taking it regularly, but it does seem like a good way to help people in crisis.

Your girlfriend needs a better mood stabilizer (depending on her levels maybe more Lithium, or maybe something else like Zyprexa) and she needs to go to sleep/wake up at the same time every day. In my experience if you have those two things (other stuff like a healthy diet and exercise helps, but are less important) you absolutely can be bipolar and NOT be a different person every morning ...

... well, except for the PTSD part: that you can only fix with therapy. Either way good luck to you and her.

What an intellectual response. Love it. And I knew this could only be achieved by smart demographic of people. Fortunately, they tend to frequent RPG's :D

bigjeff100
12-20-2018, 02:58 PM
We're about to reach page 2... Soon this thread will turn to shit, but it's been enjoyable talking with you level headed folks! Loramin, Barnabas, even America- Thanks for stayin on topic haha

Dino just bein Dino, can't get mad at him :)

My G.F life has been a roller coaster of meds in difference amounts. I'll ask her tonight what her current cocktail is. Lithium for sure i know she takes. PTSD is getting better with her therapy. Depression she seems to be able to stay on top of. But holidays are tough for her, so she's unraveling a bit. Hoping those candles are gonna keep her on track! Bipolar is what we struggle with the most for her.

Irulan
12-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Stopped talking lithium. Back to wellbutrin only now. Stimulants are the way to go.

maskedmelon
12-21-2018, 10:57 AM
happiness is the reward for suffering. peace is the reward for surrender. angst is the reward for desire. need is the reward for angst.

find a burden and carry it 🤗

Mead
12-21-2018, 11:07 AM

Haven't taken opioids since Feb 20th 2007

I've never had kratom before

doesn't mean I use the stuff though

are you trying to run for office?

Irulan
12-21-2018, 11:11 AM
happiness is the reward for suffering. peace is the reward for surrender. angst is the reward for desire. need is the reward for angst.

find a burden and carry it ��

Ya it's not about happiness to me. It's a about survival. And betterment. That requires a great deal of suffering. Which requires energy. Which requires enduring side effects.

Lithium wasn't doing anything but making it impossible to get out of bed.

Otherwise I totally agree with you.

https://i.imgur.com/1ZjLRsT.jpg

I don't know about the "cure". The premise is sound. Always seeking happiness leads to suffering.

TripleLegit
12-21-2018, 11:14 AM
This post warms the heart. A+

bigjeff100
12-21-2018, 11:33 AM
Ya it's not about happiness to me. It's a about survival. And betterment. That requires a great deal of suffering. Which requires energy. Which requires enduring side effects.

Lithium wasn't doing anything but making it impossible to get out of bed.

Otherwise I totally agree with you.

https://i.imgur.com/1ZjLRsT.jpg

I don't know about the "cure". The premise is sound. Always seeking happiness leads to suffering.

I need you to be my g.f's friend please :) I'll be in the other room playing games :)

Barnabas
12-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Everyones journey is a bit different. So many variables to consider. There's beauty in that too.

bigjeff100
12-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Everyones journey is a bit different. So many variables to consider. There's beauty in that too.

Amen man. We all took a different path to get here.

ScaringChildren
12-21-2018, 11:52 AM
are you trying to run for office?

You can't prove it!

*nods off and face plants on the concrete*

Wonkie
12-21-2018, 12:26 PM
Stopped talking lithium. Back to wellbutrin only now. Stimulants are the way to go.

if the doctor said so that's cool but otherwise i think ill bite your toes off

ScaringChildren
12-21-2018, 12:34 PM
I'm totally drug free (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWHrnMgE4L4)

Madbad
12-21-2018, 12:55 PM

Kratom literally reset my brain and made me a social person.

wierd shit

TripleLegit
12-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Kratom literally reset my brain and made me a social person.

wierd shit

I have heard of this Kratom. Good stuff? Or the Devil's spice?

kjs86z
12-21-2018, 01:09 PM
I'm not so sure I'd recommend EQ for depression.

Healthy diet, exercise, and in-person social interactions are going to yield far greater results.

EQ probably just gonna suppress the symptoms...and only temporarily.

Hell, we all have our reasons for pissing away our life playing this game. Who am I to judge?

Madbad
12-21-2018, 01:09 PM
I have heard of this Kratom. Good stuff? Or the Devil's spice?

6 of one...

It's all in how you use it. Its really fun to take without too many consequences, if you take to much it'll just make you barf but you will be smiling while you do it.

Super addictive from my point of view, you are going to want to take it every day. I would advise limiting it to once a week or less. I have never gotten physically addicted but I hear it like stopping a good coffee habit cold turkey, so not as bad as hard drugs or cigarettes.

bigjeff100
12-21-2018, 01:11 PM
We just recently finished this series.. Very very fun series..

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/hamiltons-pharmacopeia

ScaringChildren
12-21-2018, 02:51 PM
We just recently finished this series.. Very very fun series..

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/show/hamiltons-pharmacopeia

Awesome, watching this one now, for no particular reason:

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/hamiltons-pharmacopeia-kratom-the-forbidden-leaf/59cd5c32721ee67a32f91737

bigjeff100
12-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Yesss!!! Which episode SC? The Kratom one? I really like the mushroom one.. And last night i watched the Toad one.. That one kinda freaked me out a bit...

bigjeff100
12-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Awesome, watching this one now, for no particular reason:

https://www.viceland.com/en_us/video/hamiltons-pharmacopeia-kratom-the-forbidden-leaf/59cd5c32721ee67a32f91737

HAha shoulda clicked ur link. Kratom.. Definitely makes me want to eat a leaf or 2...

Lune
01-03-2019, 12:44 PM
Back when I was depressed I remember spending an entire day immersing myself in the game. I didn't feel bad when I was immersed but I remember getting up from my chair after an entire day of EQ to walk over to my bed and being hit with just this wave of anguish, like EQ was holding the anchor up and when I stopped it just dropped. Binge-watching shows was a similar escape and I usually had to do it to sleep after a day of EQ. You can go on wallowing for years like this, consuming huge swathes of your life.

This is because EQ doesn't fix or even really modulate the most pernicious effects of depression, namely the suppression of motivation and enjoyment of activities. It's still going to be rotting away the rafters while you're absorbed in EQ. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed some stretches of that time. It was a very peaceful and at times enjoyable time of my life, but ultimately a dead end.

I hope that the good feelings you get from EQ can lead to a greater and more full recovery for you.

Barnabas
01-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Back when I was depressed I remember spending an entire day immersing myself in the game. I didn't feel bad when I was immersed but I remember getting up from my chair after an entire day of EQ to walk over to my bed and being hit with just this wave of anguish, like EQ was holding the anchor up and when I stopped it just dropped. Binge-watching shows was a similar escape and I usually had to do it to sleep after a day of EQ. You can go on wallowing for years like this, consuming huge swathes of your life.

This is because EQ doesn't fix or even really modulate the most pernicious effects of depression, namely the suppression of motivation and enjoyment of activities. It's still going to be rotting away the rafters while you're absorbed in EQ. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed some stretches of that time. It was a very peaceful and at times enjoyable time of my life, but ultimately a dead end.

I hope that the good feelings you get from EQ can lead to a greater and more full recovery for you.

Of course! I don't liken EQ to a cure or effective treatment. It keeps me out of my own head, unlike when I'm in bed, and my mind takes over. :)

Irulan
01-03-2019, 04:16 PM
If it wasn't EQ it'd be something else. Chiming in here that our lives are completely meaningless background radiation when we tune out and read the big signal.

That being said it's your life. Do whatever you want. If you're feeling good great. If you're not, oh well.

I don't think anyone really feels good. We have occasional moments of lucky happiness, happenstance, like when we dig that half eaten hamburger out of the garbage and the mayo is still fresh and it's still in its box. EQ may be the best thing ever compared to this.

Best of luck on your /random's you bitches.

Irulan
01-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Of course! I don't liken EQ to a cure or effective treatment. It keeps me out of my own head, unlike when I'm in bed, and my mind takes over. :)

Get up periodically and don't let it destroy your spine.

bigjeff100
01-03-2019, 04:34 PM
If it wasn't EQ it'd be something else. Chiming in here that our lives are completely meaningless background radiation when we tune out and read the big signal.

That being said it's your life. Do whatever you want. If you're feeling good great. If you're not, oh well.

I don't think anyone really feels good. We have occasional moments of lucky happiness, happenstance, like when we dig that half eaten hamburger out of the garbage and the mayo is still fresh and it's still in its box. EQ may be the best thing ever compared to this.

Best of luck on your /random's you bitches.

Barnabas
01-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Well, you were close with Page 2. Took until about Page 4 ;)

ChrisR
01-25-2019, 04:26 PM
I have been using all kinds of things to help battle my own depression. Sometimes I spend way too much time playing and it seems to only make things worse. I've tried CBD (https://www.cbdmd.com) and Kratom (https://karmakratom.com/kratom-guide/best-kratom-strains/) before. They have helped. Lithium is pretty strong stuff as well. I won't use that anymore. Exercise actually works really well to help regulate my own depression. Plus its free :)

FiscMike
02-19-2019, 07:42 AM
Hey guys, all your answers gave me hope to not give up :)
Yours replys about CBD oils (https://mindcbd.com/collections/cbd-oil) makes me think about it and I think i will try it out. Im not a big fun of smoking weed cuz of a bad mood on second day. So the question is Will I have an unpleasant descent on the second day after CBD ?