PDA

View Full Version : Max Spell Limit?

knottyb0y
12-15-2018, 07:21 PM
What is the highest level a character can land a spell on without being automatically resisted?

So like what level can a level 50, for example, land a spell on?

Cen
12-15-2018, 07:30 PM
Its a hard 4 levels that doesn't scale up. Mobs 5 levels above you will resist everything.

Quizlop
12-15-2018, 07:50 PM
Its a hard 4 levels that doesn't scale up. Mobs 5 levels above you will resist everything.

This is wrong.

Toomuch
12-15-2018, 08:31 PM
I don't believe it's a "hard cap" kind of a thing. I think it's actually a formula, and level difference is a big part of that formula. The more level difference above you, the more the math is not in your favor, and the reverse holds true too. I don't know the exact formula though, but someone here might.

Other factors in the math include the mobs starting MR, whether or not they have + or - MR gear "equipped", what resist buffs or debuffs they have on, and possibly other things.

In practice, if a mob 4 levels above you has the biggest tash on it, Malo, Occlusion of Sound with the best drum from a 60 bard, Fufil's Curtailing Chant, (etc), and isn't wearing any +MR gear, and has a normal-range starting MR, you likely won't have a hard time landing Magic on it.

However, if a mob 4 levels above you has a MR buff on instead, and no debuffs at all, and is a highly resistant raid mob to start with, good luck getting resistable magic spells to land. There's a chance for them to land, but it's slim, and it's all about doing the things that make the math work more in your favor, and levels help do that a LOT.

aaezil
12-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Levels are only one part of the function. Some spells have + or - to the difficulty of resisting. And of course buffs/debuffs matter a lot.

Darkatar
12-15-2018, 09:05 PM
Some spells have + or - to the difficulty of resisting.
Worth noting you can check that in the wiki as well.

https://i.imgur.com/aFVe97r.png

Busher
12-16-2018, 03:12 PM
On a side note, do the same mobs consistently have the same MR. As an enchanter I swear I've been camping IGs in Everfrost and every now and then one spawns that consistently breaks charm, over and over and over. I'll just switch and charm the other one and everything is fine.
I know it could be just the RNG, but sure doesn't seem like it. Have noticed the same thing with geonids in WL and other places where I'm charming the same mobs, as they spawn.

Legidias
12-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Might be lvl difference. +/- 1 lvl might still con blue to you and you cant tell, but the resist can.

Alanus
12-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Resists are definitely a bit out of whack on this server. Ice Burrows are 61 yet resist Winged Death (-100) pretty frequently, even with the druid MR debuff on. Ensnare can take a while to land, too

aaezil
12-16-2018, 08:54 PM
in the case of the ice giants they like most mobs spawn in a level range. You're probably having crap rng on the highest poss lvl ones in those instances

Rygar
12-16-2018, 09:07 PM
Classic was auto resist 1.3 or 1.25 your level or 6 levels (whichever was higher). This was referred to as the 6 level limit, but the naming wasnt quite accurate.

Not sure how p99 is with hard caps