PDA

View Full Version : I love this classic EQ except for.....

kaluppo
12-04-2018, 09:34 PM
The no two boxing rule.

I know I will get flamed for this but I don't care. I still think it should be allowed because it WAS allowed in 1999. If you had two computers (which I did) and was willing to pay for two account subscriptions ($20 per month was no big deal) then you could two box.

I had a Druid on one account and a Cleric on the other. I leveled them both to 60 back in the day but I rarely grouped them together. So why did I bother with the two accounts? Because I loved the idea of having a res available to my Druid when he died from a bad quad kite or a port/sow/invis available for my cleric so he can get to the camps where he would join a group. And when my cleric couldn't get a group I could group them up for some root/rooting of undead mobs.

There are plenty of times that I log on when the server has less then 600 players online and I find Mistmoore completely empty. That's great if you happen to be a Druid or a Monk or some other class that is great at soloing. But for a Cleric or rogue or some other class that sucks at soloing that means either no XP or close to no XP.

Here is my idea. Keep the first account free (which I do appreciate, don't get me wrong). Allow a second account for a $20 per month fee (which I for one would gladly pay) and disallow any more then the two accounts (so no 3+ boxing).

Flame away!

feniin
12-04-2018, 09:38 PM
You're in Kittens - there's like 4500 members. Make some friends!

kaluppo
12-04-2018, 09:41 PM

That's not an issue during prime time when there is 1000+ on the server. I can find guild groups or pick up groups easily. But when the server population is low then so are the number of kittens on. They tend to go hand in hand.

Hangerbaby
12-04-2018, 09:43 PM
No

Caball
12-04-2018, 09:56 PM
I’m sure they’ll get right on accepting fees to make accounts to a game they don’t own the intellectual property of, can’t see anything going wrong with that lol!

aaezil
12-04-2018, 10:06 PM

More aftermath are in tov for 16 hours when dragons are in window than are ever online in kittens. The large total member count is just due to the fact that that guild has been around forever.

feniin
12-04-2018, 10:07 PM
There's about 75 kittens online right now.

kaluppo
12-04-2018, 10:07 PM
I’m sure they’ll get right on accepting fees to make accounts to a game they don’t own the intellectual property of, can’t see anything going wrong with that lol!

It's my understanding they take donations. So giving them money is already not an issue nor should it be. I'm sure a clever person could find a way to legally set that up if they wanted to.

I know it won't happen. Just like Luclin won't happen. Just like Republicans and Democrats getting along won't happen. But it should :D

Dillusional
12-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Why wasn't this posted under rants and flames?

Hangerbaby
12-04-2018, 10:23 PM
Just go play red where 50% of the pop is boxed toons and you won't even get noticed

kaluppo
12-04-2018, 10:26 PM
Why wasn't this posted under rants and flames?

That's a good point. I probably should have posted it there. Maybe a moderator will move it.

aaezil
12-04-2018, 10:42 PM
You sound bad at eq

2box crutch lmao

UnHoLyPoWeR
12-04-2018, 10:45 PM
The reason you even want to play here is because this server has a healthy population.

The reason the server has a healthy population is because boxing isn't allowed.

Go play a ghost town server that allows boxing, guess what, boxing is why it's a ghost town...

Every 3-6 months someone makes a post like this, this idea isn't new and it's actually terrible.

Make friends, play with others, or just go play a single player game since that is what boxing is anyway.

kaluppo
12-04-2018, 10:46 PM
You sound bad at eq

2box crutch lmao

It actually takes some skill to 2-box. It took some practice to get good at it. Anyone can master one KB and one mouse. But it takes skill to master two, LOL.

aaezil
12-04-2018, 10:55 PM
You said you levelled a cleric to rez yourself though. That tells me a lot.

kaluppo
12-04-2018, 11:04 PM
You said you levelled a cleric to rez yourself though. That tells me a lot.

No I didn't say that. I said I leveled a Druid to 60 and a Cleric to 60 on different accounts. The cleric mostly grouped where the Druid was mostly solo with some grouping. I liked playing both classes and I was able to use each class to assist the other when assistance was needed. So if the Cleric needed invis to safely get from a zoneline to a specific camp then I had the Druid available to do that. If the Druid needed a rez then I had a Cleric available to do that.

If it was 4 am and the server was dead then I could group them up and get some XP as a team (although Cleric/Druid combo isn't the best duo I could think of).

It gave me more versatility and I found it to be fun. You don't have to agree of course as to each his own and all that.

Danth
12-04-2018, 11:11 PM
The list of camps a druid/cleric can duo that the druid can't already solo is pretty small.

Danth

Prostatus
12-04-2018, 11:14 PM
A reoccurring charge would imply a sale of services. This would probably bring down more cease and desist from Sony as they would feel like people are making money off their products.

So it would have to be more of a donation tier thing, and that is just a slippery slope to pay to win.

And once every AM member gets their 2nd box online and they are fielding 225 people for Vulak spawns the ones that don't have access to 2boxing would cry foul.

kaluppo
12-04-2018, 11:21 PM
The list of camps a druid/cleric can duo that the druid can't already solo is pretty small.

Danth

Agreed. The Druid getting XP was never a problem. Between quad kiting and animal charming the road to 60 is easy for a Druid. Even the dreaded 55-60 is no problem if you are willing to spend the time in Permafrost bear pits killing the polar bears.

But the Cleric is another story. Soloing gets harder and harder the higher level you get and eventually becomes next to impossible. Which is fine because they are more of a grouping class. But when there are no groups, which happens, then it's nice to have a means of getting some XP.

mycoolrausch
12-04-2018, 11:50 PM
They can't ever charge for anything here because of their agreement with the official EQ owners.

2boxing also means the people with 10 level 60s can swap in and buff themselves with all their characters, swap to combos appropriate for each pull/encounter etc, effectively 3boxing anyway.

It would also kill Dial a Port as an easy and casual means for new players to make decent side money, since everyone would have a druid port bot.

kaluppo
12-04-2018, 11:57 PM
They can't ever charge for anything here because of their agreement with the official EQ owners.

I had not thought of it that way. Point taken.

2boxing also means the people with 10 level 60s can swap in and buff themselves with all their characters, swap to combos appropriate for each pull/encounter etc, effectively 3boxing anyway.

IDK. Lvl 60's run around and buff everyone anyway. I have seen more C2's and HB's offered in lvl 20 & 30 zones here on this sever then I ever did on live back in the day.

It would also kill Dial a Port as an easy and casual means for new players to make decent side money, since everyone would have a druid port bot.

I don't think it would kill them but it would definitely cut into there business some. Not everyone would two box if it were allowed. Most people I knew back in 99-01 didn't two box. Some did but most didn't.

Muggens
12-05-2018, 02:46 AM
Legal Boxing on p99 is a terrible idea! Would ruin the server

Fengxi
12-05-2018, 02:52 AM
It actually takes some skill to 2-box. It took some practice to get good at it. Anyone can master one KB and one mouse. But it takes skill to master two, LOL.

This game doesn’t take much skill. It was trivialized easily by most in 1999. Why wasn’t this thread posted in RnF? Kittens must be embarrassed to have you in their guild with you shitting up server chat with this garbage thread.

kaluppo
12-05-2018, 04:46 AM
This game doesn’t take much skill. It was trivialized easily by most in 1999. Why wasn’t this thread posted in RnF? Kittens must be embarrassed to have you in their guild with you shitting up server chat with this garbage thread.

It takes more skill then you think. Especially for classes like Cleric, Enchanter, Bard & Monk. And two boxing back in the day did take some fast reaction for both hands on two separate mice and or keyboards when a pull goes bad or adds show up unexpectedly.

The only embarrassing thing I see is your response to a relatively civil thread.

Fengxi
12-05-2018, 04:48 AM
K go PM the staffers how that you want to 2-box brah

kaluppo
12-05-2018, 04:53 AM
K go PM the staffers how that you want to 2-box brah

That won't be necessary. I had previously stated in this thread:

I know it won't happen. Just like Luclin won't happen. Just like Republicans and Democrats getting along won't happen. But it should :D

I don't know why but the word "brah" makes me think of the 2 fast 2 furious movie. Which was a crappy movie IMO. They didn't really start getting good until Fast 5 when The Rock joined the team.

Fengxi
12-05-2018, 05:00 AM
Why not just go play on Coirnav or some other progression server where you can legally have your own bot army.

Swish2
12-05-2018, 05:27 AM
Like boxing? Go play ANY other EQemu server or join the Daybreak fanboys who are all 4-5 boxing.

Why won't you play there? No community feeling? Why's that I wonder?

kaluppo
12-05-2018, 05:40 AM
Why not just go play on Coirnav or some other progression server where you can legally have your own bot army.

I never had a bot army in the first place. I had two accounts back in 99 with three or four characters on each account but only two of them ever got 60+ in levels. The Druid and the Cleric.

I enjoyed soloing with the Druid but my main focus with the Cleric was grouping and raiding. I really enjoy being the healer of a group or part of a CH chain on a raid.

But back then LoiO always had at least 4 groups going at the sarnak fort alone. The Giant fort in FM was loaded with pickup groups as well. And DL was hitting the pickup group lottery. Probably 6+ groups easy which all needed a healer.

Now you go LoiO and the sarnak fort is fully popped with no one there. The people who are fighting in the zone are mostly soloing. FM has people farming earings at the giant fort but they are not pickup groups LFM. DL outside KC has maybe 1 group and a few soloers at any given time.

So I have to go where the pickup groups are on this server which is unrest, mistmoore and eventually COM. But one thing I have noticed is there is a lot of clerics out there. I have been to Mistmoore before where there was only 3 active groups (CY, GY and CE). All groups had a healer and were not looking for another. Meanwhile there was three clerics besides myself all lfg. I eventually got a group but I had to sit there for a few hours waiting for the other LFG clerics to give up and one of the grouped clerics to want to go to bed.

That was a situation where a two box would have meant I could have gotten some XP during those two hours where I did literally nothing but wait. I can't solo in mistmoore because singles are next to impossible and nothing is considered undead as far as my nukes go.

I'm surprised more people who two boxed then don't feel the same as I do. Or maybe they do but they don't post about it because they would get flamed.

It's just my opinion.

Swish2
12-05-2018, 06:39 AM
But back then LoiO always had at least 4 groups going at the sarnak fort alone. The Giant fort in FM was loaded with pickup groups as well. And DL was hitting the pickup group lottery. Probably 6+ groups easy which all needed a healer.

Now you go LoiO and the sarnak fort is fully popped with no one there. The people who are fighting in the zone are mostly soloing. FM has people farming earings at the giant fort but they are not pickup groups LFM. DL outside KC has maybe 1 group and a few soloers at any given time.

Go back a few years and LOIO always had a ledge group at the very least, sometimes there'd be a war between the ledge group and a group pulling the front entrance for mobs. Unfortunately people get wise about zone experience modifiers and tend to stick to an increasingly narrow leveling route.

As for the rest of the post, there's days when there's no healers, and days when there's no tanks... the ebb and flow of these zones is always like that. The best way to combat what you're experiencing is to have a different character in each leveling zone.

For example me at the moment:-

52 enchanter in KC
46 bard in CoM
(nobody in MM)
18 paladin in Unrest

...and trying to re-ding 60 on my necro if there's nothing else going on.

Also also, remember you can play red server at the same time as blue (just leaving this here to see who bites)

Give yourself options :)

elwing
12-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Good idea... Look of fare the server that allow boxing...

Ok forget that terrible idea, all these servers suck... Eveb more than red...

Tethler
12-05-2018, 07:48 AM
I'm surprised more people who two boxed then don't feel the same as I do. Or maybe they do but they don't post about it because they would get flamed.

I think the people who feel really strongly about boxing just play on other servers since pretty much every other server besides p99 allows it.

Rygar
12-05-2018, 07:50 AM
I never had a bot army in the first place. I had two accounts back in 99 with three or four characters on each account but only two of them ever got 60+ in levels. The Druid and the Cleric.

I enjoyed soloing with the Druid but my main focus with the Cleric was grouping and raiding. I really enjoy being the healer of a group or part of a CH chain on a raid.

So I have to go where the pickup groups are on this server which is unrest, mistmoore and eventually COM. But one thing I have noticed is there is a lot of clerics out there. I have been to Mistmoore before where there was only 3 active groups (CY, GY and CE). All groups had a healer and were not looking for another. Meanwhile there was three clerics besides myself all lfg. I eventually got a group but I had to sit there for a few hours waiting for the other LFG clerics to give up and one of the grouped clerics to want to go to bed.

That was a situation where a two box would have meant I could have gotten some XP during those two hours where I did literally nothing but wait. I can't solo in mistmoore because singles are next to impossible and nothing is considered undead as far as my nukes go.

It's just my opinion.

The issue is you think everyone will adopt YOUR 2-box play style. There are a ton of negative sides to boxing such as avoiding the purpose of EQ in the first place (relying on others to achieve objectives, get rezzes, ports, etc). As already mentioned the raid scene would also become super trivialized (imagine people with 2 rogues spamming backstab, or 2 clerics in the cheal rotation, etc).

Sure people 2-boxed in the day on live, but this is a bit different on a free server and modern day internet. Back on live i used dial up, I didn't have 2 phone lines to play on.

If EQ launched today with broadband internet and easy access of cheap computers you would begin to see the problem.

I suggest you try TakP out, decent population and boxing allowed.

turbosilk
12-05-2018, 08:30 AM
The no two boxing rule.

I know I will get flamed for this but I don't care. I still think it should be allowed because it WAS allowed in 1999. If you had two computers (which I did) and was willing to pay for two account subscriptions ($20 per month was no big deal) then you could two box.

I had a Druid on one account and a Cleric on the other. I leveled them both to 60 back in the day but I rarely grouped them together. So why did I bother with the two accounts? Because I loved the idea of having a res available to my Druid when he died from a bad quad kite or a port/sow/invis available for my cleric so he can get to the camps where he would join a group. And when my cleric couldn't get a group I could group them up for some root/rooting of undead mobs.

There are plenty of times that I log on when the server has less then 600 players online and I find Mistmoore completely empty. That's great if you happen to be a Druid or a Monk or some other class that is great at soloing. But for a Cleric or rogue or some other class that sucks at soloing that means either no XP or close to no XP.

Here is my idea. Keep the first account free (which I do appreciate, don't get me wrong). Allow a second account for a $20 per month fee (which I for one would gladly pay) and disallow any more then the two accounts (so no 3+ boxing).

Flame away!

You'll understand in time why further enabling people to play by themselves wrecks games.

fadetree
12-05-2018, 08:34 AM
OP, you should give TAKP a try. Has a good population, good devs, and is in Luclin heading for PoP. There's a boxing limit of 3 chars, which is a good compromise in my opinion.

Jimjam
12-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Mandatory donation of $15/mo to a per approved charity per active account.

Nagoya
12-05-2018, 08:14 PM
one sure thing is the day 2-boxing is legal is the day it becomes necessary, cause there will be no more people around to play with.

honestly if after 20 years you still haven't figured why 2+ boxing would kill the server in one day there's nothing we can explain to you anymore.

Cen
12-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Boxers are greedy children who want all the toys, and for all his peers to suffer. Boxers are degenerates who must be executed to avoid spreading the plague. I need more harsh scary lines to add.

Foxplay
12-05-2018, 08:59 PM
Boxing allowed would be unfair to all the paraplegic, no arm's, non-English speaking bestfriend's / kids / girlfriend's / wives, that rely on p99 for a server to enjoy with their highly supportive friend / parent / partner , to play with...

Who is going to help them when their partner can just box and play better than they did anyway?

Malik_Gynax
12-05-2018, 09:19 PM
In my opinion, boxing is the biggest plague on ALL MMORPGs. Possibly second only to microtransactions. Boxing just kills social interaction.

I feel like this server is the only place I can really go and be free from boxing... in pretty much any MMO.

Silken
12-05-2018, 09:44 PM
The reason you even want to play here is because this server has a healthy population.

The reason the server has a healthy population is because boxing isn't allowed.This.

coki
12-06-2018, 12:18 AM
yeah daybreak will be all over their asses if they tried to sell subs id assume

Bardp1999
12-06-2018, 12:24 AM
Boxxing would make leveling from 50-60 even more painful than it already is. I know where you are coming from but its a shity idea.

Metham
12-06-2018, 02:05 AM
Just do both. I have 5 toons i play, some can solo, others need a group.
I log in my groupers, lfg for a few in my fav zone. If i don't get group, i swap to solo.
I don't understand op's problem, you can play any combination of race/class/deity on your unlimited free accounts.
The only limit is your imagination, you're in our world now.

Ivah
12-06-2018, 02:55 AM
Another dumb fucking blue thread.

Hibbs
12-06-2018, 03:15 AM
Have you heard anything from Live? I could link you at least 200 posts in the next 20 minutes how boxing did nothing but destroy the servers. You basically log on and people are just running around 2,3,4 boxing and soloing everything because its easier that way. Nothing will ever be better than logging in and having to find other people to adventure with.

Coridan
12-07-2018, 10:48 PM
Go back a few years and LOIO always had a ledge group at the very least, sometimes there'd be a war between the ledge group and a group pulling the front entrance for mobs. Unfortunately people get wise about zone experience modifiers and tend to stick to an increasingly narrow leveling route.

As for the rest of the post, there's days when there's no healers, and days when there's no tanks... the ebb and flow of these zones is always like that. The best way to combat what you're experiencing is to have a different character in each leveling zone.

For example me at the moment:-

52 enchanter in KC
46 bard in CoM
(nobody in MM)
18 paladin in Unrest

...and trying to re-ding 60 on my necro if there's nothing else going on.

Also also, remember you can play red server at the same time as blue (just leaving this here to see who bites)

Give yourself options :)

This is the biggest problem, ZEM. I get bored of Unrest > Highkeep/Mistmoore > CoM. I do a pretty good job at getting groups going to other places (even without being in a guild) and love hunting in SolA, TOFS or Guk but trying to get something together for like Nurga, Paw or Permafrost is pretty much impossible. And forget outdoor zones because the ZEM is terrible and it's usually got someone swarm kiting it anyway.

Two ways to fix it -> Move ZEM around either weekly or even dynamically based on current zone population (maybe make EC immune to that)

Or

Launch Green.

Swish2
12-07-2018, 11:30 PM
I do a pretty good job at getting groups going to other places (even without being in a guild) and love hunting in SolA, TOFS or Guk but trying to get something together for like Nurga, Paw or Permafrost is pretty much impossible...

It's the sort of thing that you can organize on the boards here. I think a bunch of people would love to have a go at a session in Nurga, Droga, TOFS, CC, etc - especially if it's during a busy time where you know people are going to be LFG at zone lines in droves across the popular zones.

sedrie.bellamie
12-08-2018, 10:01 AM
guy who wants to play massive multiplayer game but wants to play by himself

get friends

Nexii
12-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Servers already overpopulated, why do we need boxing again?

Mead
12-08-2018, 01:16 PM
I’m sure management will take your original suggestion under consideration