PDA

View Full Version : Project 1999 Atlas(beta)

killaessedai
12-03-2018, 12:13 AM
Project 1999 Atlas website (beta) has launched http://project1999atlas.com. There are plans to include items, npcs, and quests in the future. The content has been created using the content generated by the Project 1999 wiki. I see this project as the creation of a modern EQAtlas designed for the Project 1999 content. Errors, bugs, and suggestions can be sent to drakan@project1999atlas.com.

Imago
12-03-2018, 12:19 AM
This is pretty dope

tsuchang
12-03-2018, 01:34 AM
Very super. Thanks.

1203jjt
12-03-2018, 10:09 AM
I like it...Just a quick suggestion on the first dungeon I clicked on--Runnyeye. The maps should be displayed in order of descending level, 1 to 4. Currently they're all out of whack.

I'm at work so I can't email this to the suggested email.

dussle27
12-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Should instead invest time into updating all the bad information in the wiki.

aaezil
12-03-2018, 10:43 AM

killaessedai
12-03-2018, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Most of the maps were generated and placed into the datatbase programmatically so many of the maps are likely to be out of order because of it. I will look into the problem but I won’t likely get to it until after finals which are next week.

I like it...Just a quick suggestion on the first dungeon I clicked on--Runnyeye. The maps should be displayed in order of descending level, 1 to 4. Currently they're all out of whack.

I'm at work so I can't email this to the suggested email.

killaessedai
12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
I will edit any inaccuracies that I find but I encourage the players to edit the wiki themselves and remove the errors. I have intentions to create a set of tools that will create the entire database needed for the final version of the website with a few clicks of a button using info from the wiki but I have been unable to as of yet without serious editing of the final result. This will allow project 1999 atlas to remain up to date with the wiki by updating the database at a chosen interval.

Muggens
12-03-2018, 04:12 PM
Commendable work!

ScaringChildren
12-03-2018, 05:26 PM
small criticisms/suggestions:

When I clicked on 'Antonica', I did not notice the menu drop downs right away. Just saw the map. Maybe make a two column page? One for map, one for menu. Or put menu on top of map. Or resize the map a bit.

Also, on the deeper pages where the maps are, I'd put the maps near the top. The lore and stuff is great but I'd imagine the maps are more important.

The idea is to be better than the wiki, correct? I bet it's way better on mobile already.

Kelzar
12-03-2018, 05:43 PM
That is very nice.

Thanks for sharing and working on that.

If you´d take some suggestion, I´d say the font used is not very read friendly. Maybe Im just losing some sight, dont know.

Thanks.

killaessedai
12-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Antonica has a smaller horizontal axis than the other maps and it’s size is being determined programmatically based upon aspect ratio etc.. I will check it out and see if I can’t make it smaller.

I don’t intend to website to be better than the wiki. I am focusing on the user experience and artistic side of the information. I picture the final website as a compendium of project 1999 knowledge represented in a visually appealing manner, similar to a collectors’ edition encyclopedia of Zelda. However, I intend to have far more useful information, links to named, items, and quests on the zone page etc..

Much of the information above the map will be replaced by links to named npcs, monsters, tradeskill guides, links to items that display a tool tip with item information etc.. In the future, it will be far more useful located above the map.

small criticisms/suggestions:

When I clicked on 'Antonica', I did not notice the menu drop downs right away. Just saw the map. Maybe make a two column page? One for map, one for menu. Or put menu on top of map. Or resize the map a bit.

Also, on the deeper pages where the maps are, I'd put the maps near the top. The lore and stuff is great but I'd imagine the maps are more important.

The idea is to be better than the wiki, correct? I bet it's way better on mobile already.

aaezil
12-03-2018, 06:53 PM
I will edit any inaccuracies that I find but I encourage the players to edit the wiki themselves and remove the errors. I have intentions to create a set of tools that will create the entire database needed for the final version of the website with a few clicks of a button using info from the wiki but I have been unable to as of yet without serious editing of the final result. This will allow project 1999 atlas to remain up to date with the wiki by updating the database at a chosen interval.

The wiki is 50-99% innacurate, depending on the specific page in question. Many of the raid pages in particular are made innacurate (plane of fear) on purpose to try to trip up other guilds.

Making a better looking wiki with the same wrong information isnt really all that useful, tbh.

Issar
12-03-2018, 09:34 PM
The wiki is 50-99% innacurate, depending on the specific page in question. Many of the raid pages in particular are made innacurate (plane of fear) on purpose to try to trip up other guilds.

Making a better looking wiki with the same wrong information isnt really all that useful, tbh.

The way you think people see this is “oh this guy is smart b/c he says stuff is wrong.”

The way people actually view it is that you’re fucking lazy for not fixing it, and you’re an ass for putting down someone’s generous efforts to share amongst our community... tbh

Prodigiosus
12-04-2018, 09:10 AM
pretty cool idea, hope you stick with it.

bluntfang
12-04-2018, 09:34 AM
That is very nice.

Thanks for sharing and working on that.

If you´d take some suggestion, I´d say the font used is not very read friendly. Maybe Im just losing some sight, dont know.

Thanks.

+1 the header font is unreadable.

Crookstinger
12-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Looks good. My suggestion would be to locate maps without the PoKnowledge "K" book markers on them and use those. They exist although they might require a little digging (try here: https://msu.edu/~oconne53/eqatlas/atlas.html). I hunted them all down at some point and have them locally so if you decide to go this route and need help finding any just let me know.

aaezil
12-04-2018, 12:13 PM
The way you think people see this is “oh this guy is smart b/c he says stuff is wrong.”

The way people actually view it is that you’re fucking lazy for not fixing it, and you’re an ass for putting down someone’s generous efforts to share amongst our community... tbh

Have changed it - people put it back to being wrong every time. Mr. Smart Guy.

captain_obvious_2
12-04-2018, 03:07 PM
Just being honest...you are replicating wiki data with a nicer UI. But outside of that, I am not sure what the benefit of this project is.

I think the left panel menu makes sense since its an easy workflow to get to the intended map. However, the menu at the top makes me do more work than is necessary to pull up a map.

The easiest way to pull up a map as it stands is 2-steps:
--type in the wiki url
--search by the abbreviated zone name

Hard to beat that.

Hrothgar
12-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Ya dun rill, rill guud

loramin
12-04-2018, 05:07 PM

As someone who has spent a great deal of time working with the wiki, I strongly disagree with this characterization. Not about the raid stuff (honestly the only raid zone page I read is the one for Plane of Sky, and it's pretty accurate), but in general far, far more than 1%-50% of the wiki content is accurate. If I had to hazard a number, I'd guess somewhere between 95%-99% of non-controversial pages are accurate (where "controversial pages" like plane of fear account for less than 1% of the total wiki content).

One caveat: that excludes faction numbers, but not which factions a mob is on. I don't know who imported those numbers or from where, but it was clearly a mass script that took data from an inaccurate source.

Have changed it - people put it back to being wrong every time. Mr. Smart Guy.

Again, I think there's a huge difference between pages where no one has a stake except wanting the page to be accurate (99% of the wiki), and pages where "bad actors" deliberately want to inject false information.

To solve the latter case I think we need to identify the problematic pages, make an effort to correct them, and then flag them so that only wiki administrators can make changes afterwards. While I certainly don't know everything about Plane of Fear, I am a wiki admin, and would be happy to work with anyone who does have good information to clean up these problematic pages.

I don’t intend to website to be better than the wiki. I am focusing on the user experience and artistic side of the information. I picture the final website as a compendium of project 1999 knowledge represented in a visually appealing manner, similar to a collectors’ edition encyclopedia of Zelda. However, I intend to have far more useful information, links to named, items, and quests on the zone page etc..

Much of the information above the map will be replaced by links to named npcs, monsters, tradeskill guides, links to items that display a tool tip with item information etc.. In the future, it will be far more useful located above the map.

I think this is a very laudable goal: don't repeat existing effort, leverage that effort to make something newer and cooler :)

For what it's worth I'm both a programmer (and currently the instructor of a class on web development) and a frequent wiki editor. I've even written some scripts to do mass wiki edits (eg. all of the fashion categories). Shoot me a PM if you need help with anything.

aaezil
12-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Sorry but tons of info on there is incorrect.

loramin
12-04-2018, 05:17 PM
I'm not trying to make value judgements on anyone's participation, or lack thereof, on the wiki. But what I can say is that people like myself want to make it more accurate, but we don't have encyclopedic knowledge of EQ. As a result, we need people who know both that the content is inaccurate, and what the accurate content would be, to work with us to get the pages fixed.

Again, I'm not shaming you for not fixing the wiki, I'm just stating a fact that people who want to fix it can't unless people like you work with us.

aaezil
12-04-2018, 05:21 PM
I would honestly prefer no wiki at all. When i played eq there was incorrect eq manual and incorrect paper strategy guide and everything else you learned in game

loramin
12-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Fair enough, but you can't have it both ways and want an accurate wiki and no wiki at the same time.

aaezil
12-04-2018, 05:42 PM
If there must be a wiki (and a website that copy pastes it) yes i would prefer it to be accurate, even if just for posterity

loramin
12-04-2018, 05:46 PM
If there must be a wiki (and a website that copy pastes it) yes i would prefer it to be accurate, even if just for posterity

Cool beans. Next time you see something inaccurate in the wiki, if you could take a sec to PM me with what's inaccurate and (as much as possible) why it's inaccurate/what the accurate information should be, we can help make that happen.

Of course, if you actually made the edits yourself, and then alerted me if someone undid them, that'd be even easier for me and I'd like you better, but either way works ;)

killaessedai
12-06-2018, 08:42 AM
I could create a form to submit feedback, to report inaccuracies, or to submit guides. Also, any of the above can be emailed to drakan@project1999atlas.com . I have a 59 cleric and have raided a bit in project 1999 but I don’t play often anymore. I do however have a decent understanding of norrath and can probably find ways to verify any information reported.

killaessedai
12-06-2018, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the offer. I am currently a cs student but I am new to web development. However, I had a few courses on full stack mean web development over the summer so I’ve been practicing and learning the different technologies that are used for database and web hosting etc..

I think this is a very laudable goal: don't repeat existing effort, leverage that effort to make something newer and cooler :)

For what it's worth I'm both a programmer (and currently the instructor of a class on web development) and a frequent wiki editor. I've even written some scripts to do mass wiki edits (eg. all of the fashion categories). Shoot me a PM if you need help with anything.

Bardp1999
12-06-2018, 01:54 PM
super cool feature is if you had an icon of named spawns on each map and you could hover over them to see the name and click to see a full loot table. The maps are great but if you could integrate more item and drop information you could make it better than the wiki (already does looks wise)

Muggens
12-06-2018, 02:26 PM
^ was thinkin the same thing. Mouse hovering would be awesome

loramin
12-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the offer. I am currently a cs student but I am new to web development. However, I had a few courses on full stack mean web development over the summer so I’ve been practicing and learning the different technologies that are used for database and web hosting etc..

Cool, well all that stuff is my jam (I did web development professionally for about a decade before I started teaching it), so seriously please do let me know if you have questions.

Whyt
12-06-2018, 09:18 PM
this is fantastic ... nicely done!