PDA

View Full Version : p99 on Linux OS

Thoman
11-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Does anyone have experience with playing P99 on a Linux laptop? If so did you use PlayOnLinux, a Virtual Machine, dual-booting with Windows?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Dithien
11-29-2018, 05:25 PM
I haven’t tried it with a laptop but I do have a PC running it using Wine on Debian. I had to use the “Linux” eqclient.ini version from the Wiki to keep it from crashing.

loramin
11-29-2018, 05:25 PM
Playing right now on Linux. All it took was plain old WINE (and installing the latest graphics drivers).

Thoman
11-29-2018, 05:29 PM
Playing right now on Linux. All it took was plain old WINE (and installing the latest graphics drivers).

Oh interesting, is WINE not for use exclusively on MACs. Which Linux OS? I'm on a Debian distro.

This laptop has no dedicated graphics card but has an integrated card and processor with good specs.

loramin
11-29-2018, 05:43 PM
Oh interesting, is WINE not for use exclusively on MACs. Which Linux OS? I'm on a Debian distro.

This laptop has no dedicated graphics card but has an integrated card and processor with good specs.

WINE was created on Linux first actually. I'm also on a Debian-based distro (Linux Mint, which is derived from Ubuntu, which is derived from Debian).

Also I have both on-board graphics and a separate graphics card, and EQ works with both (although obviously it performs better with the graphics card).

Thoman
11-29-2018, 05:55 PM
WINE was created on Linux first actually. I'm also on a Debian-based distro (Linux Mint, which is derived from Ubuntu, which is derived from Debian).

Also I have both on-board graphics and a separate graphics card, and EQ works with both (although obviously it performs better with the graphics card).

Interesting, I'll give it a go. Thanks

Thoman
11-29-2018, 05:56 PM
I haven’t tried it with a laptop but I do have a PC running it using Wine on Debian. I had to use the “Linux” eqclient.ini version from the Wiki to keep it from crashing.

Debian and WINE then, could I ask where you got the Linux .ini file, and any other necessary files?

loramin
11-29-2018, 06:12 PM
Debian and WINE then, could I ask where you got the Linux .ini file, and any other necessary files?

Not sure what you're referring to. I just use winecfg to configure it, but I'm not sure where it keeps any config files. Presumably in the standard place that apt-get adds them.

Dithien
11-29-2018, 08:01 PM

It’s not specific to Linux but it helped with crashing issues. Make a backup of the one you have then replace the text in the original with this:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Linux_Reference_eqclient.ini_File

devblueray
11-29-2018, 08:34 PM
PlayOnLinux works very well and as I remember, fairly easy to setup. Probably easier to set that up than trying to deal with Wine as an individual component.

Frug
12-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Oh interesting, is WINE not for use exclusively on MACs.

"Mac"; it isn't an acronym, and no WINE was created for Linux lonnnnng before Macs started using Intel CPUs.