PDA

View Full Version : Strange lag/delay (every action happens 60 seconds later)

Kungen
11-28-2018, 09:49 AM
Now and then I start to lag, I don't disconnect and I can still play but whatever command I use it comes 60 seconds later, so I basically die everytime since I solo in deep down in dungeons. Gchat, spells, con all happens with a minute delayed.

Everytime I gotta alt F4 and then I usually start dead. Getting old

mcoy
11-28-2018, 10:04 AM
Packet loss?

Bump. for anyone else experiencing this - after alot of troubleshooting and some help from some tech savvy ppl this is a packletloss issue.

http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/
plug straight into your modem, disable other devices, run this software and connect to one of p99's IP 66.55.145.2. also try google's 8.8.8.8

the 2nd number in the collumn after the host name shows hte % of packets lost. gonna get a tech out here soon as i can ill post what he says

i was getting 5% packloss across pretty much everything i would try to connect to. to give an example of what this did in everquest - i would target a mob, and /con it in half secound intervals, at around every 15-20 secound the con messages would stop, then after a few seconds a bunch of con messages would appear in the chat window like it was trying to catch up.

another example - im running for my life trying to open a door, 2 seconds goes by after i click the door before it opens all the while mobs beating on me

-Mcoy

DayForz
11-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Maybe your log file is corrupted? I had problems with lag on just one of my characters, but it went away when I deleted my log file.

Legidias
11-28-2018, 11:37 AM
(Stop your other downloads)

Mead
11-28-2018, 11:43 AM
have you done speed tests?

loramin
11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
I haven't used Windows in ages, but I'm pretty sure you can use the Task Manager somehow to see what's using your CPU/memory. I'd leave that up when you play, and then when the lag starts see what program is at the top of the Task Manager list.

If the program at the top is EQ, one of the other suggestions (eg. McCoy's idea of packet loss) might be correct. I think the Task Manager might show network traffic also, and if so you could check that theory in the Task Manager also, but I might just be thinking of the Linux equivalent.

Thomacles
11-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Exact same thing happenned to me last night in PoH.

Every 2- 6 min, my client would go out of sync. Couldn't cast spells, or use commands or anything. My latency was only 80 - 100 ms, and i wasn't DC'ing. I could still see periodic chat, and some players, but I could do no actions of any kind.

I wish someone could come up with the solutuion. It never happened to me in PoF or PoS, but PoH caused me terrible headaches.

If anyone has any ideas with what is going on, PLS help :/

Morticon
11-28-2018, 02:35 PM
It happened to me yesterday too. I use Comcast as my provider. Do we have that in common?

Thomacles
11-28-2018, 02:51 PM
I use a thethered cell through US Cellular. Although it happened before months ago, it was NEVER this bad. And even when it was happening, I could still tab out, and watch streaming, videos, browse, etc. So I do not believe its my ISP. The fact that others are reporting the same scenario having other providers, leads me to believe it's gotta be something else. /shrug

bigjeff100
11-28-2018, 04:00 PM
Funny this was brought up.. Just logged online on my lunch break to see what's crackin in norrath, and noticed a big delay as well. Logged off for fear of death.. Strange...

Oleris
11-28-2018, 04:14 PM
do your spell bars become so you can't cast additional spells? I had the same issue and I would desynch like this several times a night. It costs me many deaths on my necro since I was always soloing. Sounds like a desynch issue with your DNS routing. You can try using a VPN or another service to avoid the DNS servers in question.

Solist
11-28-2018, 04:55 PM
Are you in the USA?

I’ve played eq in 25+ countries, only in the US is it truely reliable.

Through southern Europa, most of Asia, Middle East it’s pretty much fucked the moment more than about 20 things are moving.

A zone like Trakanons Teeth I couldn’t run across for years. Plane of fear with an active kite still desyncs me (Australia) and the source of the net, computer specs etc all irrelevant.

So get faster internet.

malbadon
11-28-2018, 06:14 PM
Maybe your log file is corrupted? I had problems with lag on just one of my characters, but it went away when I deleted my log file.

This.
Right here.
Log file corruption causing in game lag.
Don't delete the contents of your log file. Flat out delete the file itself and then log in.

Thomacles
11-28-2018, 06:52 PM
What about the "dbg" and "sky" text files I have in the "Logs" folder? Can those text files also be deleted?