PDA

View Full Version : Rotating ZEM

tranceminus
11-22-2018, 11:27 PM
I’ve seen a few mentions of this here and there, so I wanted to just throw out a thread and a poll dedicated to the idea to see if people would generally be behind it, and if so, maybe the devs would consider implementing it.

Basically, the idea is that right now, static ZEMs (zone experience modifiers) make some zones much better than others to level in. This results in an exp highway that the majority of people follow in order to level as quickly as possible. It typically goes something like Kurns -> Unrest -> HHK -> Mistmoore -> COM...

The issue with the ZEMs never changing is that this route, and subsequently the most populated zones, also remain static. This means a lot of zones out there are left underutilized if not outright abandoned.

The idea behind rotating ZEMs is that the modifiers on these zones would randomly change once every X period of time, for example once a month. This would refresh the exp highway that a lot of us have done to death, and start drawing players into experiencing a much larger variety of the zones in the game.

Legidias
11-22-2018, 11:54 PM
I will vote yes, knowing that this would never get implemented

Arkanjil
11-22-2018, 11:55 PM

Cen
11-23-2018, 12:22 AM
The thing is, nobody can ever know what the classic zems are at any given time, and if it was rotated and kept unknown, it would technically be classic.

Danth
11-23-2018, 01:44 AM
People don't level in citymist/karnor/etc only because of the experience modifier, but also because they're safe and convenient zones that aren't going to wipe their groups every other pull. You can put just about whatever reasonable ZEM in something like Dalnir that you want and you still won't have much more than power-levelers or the occasional guild group going there.

Danth

kylok
11-23-2018, 02:36 AM

loramin
11-23-2018, 11:10 AM
The thing is, nobody can ever know what the classic zems are at any given time, and if it was rotated and kept unknown, it would technically be classic.

Swish2
11-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Rotating ZEM

https://i.imgur.com/1gBWIug.gif

Jauna
11-23-2018, 01:24 PM
I voted yes because now I dont select which character I want to play today, i select which zone I wanna play in today.

jarshale
11-23-2018, 03:42 PM

platapus
11-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Am I really the only one here that is just playing this game to play this game? Or does everyone here actually think there is a reason to get the most xp possible while you play on a server that is 9 years old?

I was denied entry into a trio at level 33 lmao I was like wtf are you smoking?

Just go out into the Karanas and hail NPC's like you're supposed to be doing.

loramin
11-23-2018, 04:28 PM
Am I really the only one here that is just playing this game to play this game? Or does everyone here actually think there is a reason to get the most xp possible while you play on a server that is 9 years old?

On the one hand, I'm a very "EQ is about the journey, not the destination" kind of guy.

But, on the other hand, the entire goal of the game is to get XP and pixels (gear). If you've already done the same zones over and over for the XP part, I don't see why there's anything wrong with wanting to be able to go somewhere new and interesting, and not be heavily penalized for doing so.

Swish2
11-23-2018, 06:08 PM

The classic experience took a backseat with account sales for in game plat being legal (I was guilty of selling one) and Chardok AOE. Thankfully both no longer exist.

Ivory
11-23-2018, 07:14 PM
Instead of random....I think we should sit down and look at the zones and decide a proper ZEM to match the various attributes of the zone.

Difficulty in pulling (like paw is a nightmare)

Nearness to civilization (permafrost is veryyy out of the way for most people at that level range)

Special zone considerations (kedge needing EB and being a pain gives it ++)

Loot (the better the loot, the LOWER the ZEM....zones with horrible loot get +)

I don't think just randomization would do too much. It would require people to go around to zone to zone just to maximize their exp? People won't, they will compare maybe 2 or 3 and then just settle down somewhere comfortable.

But making the list public and a function of careful consideration will mean people have more to work with and think about.

NegaStoat
11-24-2018, 12:39 AM
Voted yes, but it won't happen. Cazic thule having a 113% modifier in the face of all the bullcrap casting through walls seems dumb, and there are other zones like this that no one bothers with. Mixing it up for limited time periods has my interest.

kylok
11-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Maybe as a seasonal event kind of thing - CT has a bonus exp mod for Halloween or somesuch.

Swish2
11-24-2018, 01:37 AM
Mixing it up for limited time periods has my interest.

There's only so much Nurga to enjoy, however.

elwing
11-24-2018, 03:26 AM
The hotzone concept was actually a good idea... If you remove the hotzone easy quest for crazy loot and the added items/augs...

Hideousclaw
11-24-2018, 04:33 AM

Puluin
11-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Instead of random....I think we should sit down and look at the zones and decide a proper ZEM to match the various attributes of the zone.

Difficulty in pulling (like paw is a nightmare)

Nearness to civilization (permafrost is veryyy out of the way for most people at that level range)

Special zone considerations (kedge needing EB and being a pain gives it ++)

Loot (the better the loot, the LOWER the ZEM....zones with horrible loot get +)

I don't think just randomization would do too much. It would require people to go around to zone to zone just to maximize their exp? People won't, they will compare maybe 2 or 3 and then just settle down somewhere comfortable.

But making the list public and a function of careful consideration will mean people have more to work with and think about.

Continuing with this logic, oot should get a xp boost due to our poor cash camp finally being pushed into being homeless... i.e. seafuries.

Coridan
11-24-2018, 05:22 PM
The current ZEM isn't necessarily classic anyway because it was moved around in live. I distinctly remember all of Kunark having +20%, at least during the era before Velious. It probably got dropped down after Luclin released though.

EndlessCycle
11-24-2018, 06:24 PM
I voted no. It seems too friendly to do something like this.

loramin
11-24-2018, 08:48 PM
I voted no. It seems too friendly to do something like this.

Friendly how? We already have some zones that give higher XP than others (ie. "are more friendly"), and nothing about this proposal is about raising ZEMs across the board: it's just about changing which zone gets a better ZEM, ie. making some more or less friendly.

If anything, the change would likely raise the ZEM of more challenging zones, and lower the ZEM of easier zones, making it harder overall for people who just want to XP in easy/friendly zones.

EndlessCycle
11-24-2018, 09:38 PM
My position is basically that if you need to give extra incentive to go a zone... that seems too nice. It is like you don't want to hang out with your older sibling? Well, if you do, we'll incentivize it somehow for you!! But, to me, things should just kind of be let as they are. It is like some things are just fucked up and just let it be fucked up. I accept this game basically as it is. But, I am a retarded person so this, I am sure, is just deplorable.

NegaStoat
11-25-2018, 04:34 PM
The current ZEM isn't necessarily classic anyway because it was moved around in live. I distinctly remember all of Kunark having +20%, at least during the era before Velious. It probably got dropped down after Luclin released though.

Agreed. I strongly suspect the Lake of Ill Omen zone got nerfed into a non classic state due to older Bard Swarm mechanics (no limits on mos) and RMT. Pras the server.

tanikozo
11-25-2018, 05:47 PM
It really would be kinda neat to have that thing going to add some more variety. It would also encourage more alts being made because I reckon people are already tired of the whole Crushbone --> Unrest --> Mistmoore --> HHK route in their early-mid games. Why not give some places like Najena and Befallen some love? I don't see how this will break the old-school feel of this server, I really like places like Mistmoore and Unrest not only because of the xp but for the overall feel of them but some extra incentives for exploring and doing different zones wouldn't hurt. After all I think Everquest is supposed to be played that way - exploring and having adventures.

garfo
11-25-2018, 07:15 PM
It really would be kinda neat to have that thing going to add some more variety. It would also encourage more alts being made because I reckon people are already tired of the whole Crushbone --> Unrest --> Mistmoore --> HHK route in their early-mid games. Why not give some places like Najena and Befallen some love? I don't see how this will break the old-school feel of this server, I really like places like Mistmoore and Unrest not only because of the xp but for the overall feel of them but some extra incentives for exploring and doing different zones wouldn't hurt. After all I think Everquest is supposed to be played that way - exploring and having adventures.

Befallen has a high ZEM already -- you just don't see it as full because the zone is very challenging.

Raev
11-25-2018, 07:44 PM

This. Generally speaking the traditional Kurns -> Unrest/Mistmoore -> City of Mist -> KC path is the traditional path because it's safe and easy, which also makes it pretty boring. It would be so much more interesting if SG and DN gave double XP instead.

tanikozo
11-26-2018, 02:10 AM
Befallen has a high ZEM already -- you just don't see it as full because the zone is very challenging.

Damn I completely forgot that it actually had a nice ZEM, my bad. Crazy how underpopulated it is.

fzzzt
11-26-2018, 02:54 AM
I would vote, knowing it will never get implemented, to get rid of ZEM altogether.

Tethler
11-26-2018, 02:57 AM
My position is basically that if you need to give extra incentive to go a zone... that seems too nice. It is like you don't want to hang out with your older sibling? Well, if you do, we'll incentivize it somehow for you!! But, to me, things should just kind of be let as they are. It is like some things are just fucked up and just let it be fucked up. I accept this game basically as it is. But, I am a retarded person so this, I am sure, is just deplorable.

That would make sense if all zones gave xp at the same rate. As it stands, many zones already do have a bonus, ie. an extra incentive to go there, and many people do exactly that.

beargryllz
11-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Bush bombed Kurn's Tower