PDA

View Full Version : Define “P99 Specific Custom Content”

Imago
11-12-2018, 07:00 PM
Assuming we finish the timeline (according to Nilbog we are looking at more than 1 patch of classic content before they finish), the Devs have stated they are looking to implement some “custom content.”

What will this entail? Will this be GM events + earthquakes, or permanent content additions? Will this be only on blue or the Wild West as well?

Discuss.

Oleris
11-12-2018, 07:35 PM
Luclin

Just kidding. Here are some previous threads

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283144

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999/comments/62m7q6/project_1999_future_plans/

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294115

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261812

paulgiamatti
11-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Custom epic 2.0 weapons was one of the more feasible ideas Sirken spitballed about on stream, the gist of which was a line of unique quests resulting in a marginally better than BiS weapon for each class. Just another custom content idea at the end of the day. I think that would be pretty sick, especially if they used the real epic 2.0 graphics.

Bazia
11-12-2018, 07:48 PM
We're on a 9 year old velious server, this is custom content

aaezil
11-12-2018, 07:57 PM
We're on a 9 year old velious server, this is custom content

loramin
11-12-2018, 08:09 PM
I don't think anyone knows for sure except the devs (and maybe not even them), but we do know:

It's not Luclin
It probably will involve new zones (there's been a lot of talk about them)
It probably won't use Luclin zones (a dev awhile back said it was easier to just make brand new zones than to adapt existing ones)
AA abilities might be a part of it, but if so they won't be XP grind-based; instead they'll be something like an epic quest you can complete to gain a single specific AA ability (I forget who said this, but some dev did at some point)
It probably will involve new items, new recipes, new NPCs and quests in existing zones, etc. (the devs have never said this, but all those things are a lot easier to add than entire new zones, so it stands to reason)
for more ideas of what it might include check out Sirken's stream (I hear he's been spitballing lots of custom content ideas lately)

Will this be GM events + earthquakes, or permanent content additions? Will this be only on blue or the Wild West as well?
Definitely permanent content additions: custom content would come from the dev team after they've finished coding classic EQ (and then presumably have free time on their hands), but the dev team finishing will not free up any more GM time.

I would imagine the content will be applied to Red too, since in the many years this project has been going the devs have (stubbornly?) continued to treat Red as an equal to Blue (at least in many ways, maybe not so much in terms of GM support).

But then again, no one has talked about a "Green Red" ("Recycle Red") server being released, and a big part of the impetus behind custom content being released on Blue is "well now that we have the perfectly classic Green server, what's the point of (not classic) Blue? Custom content!"

So perhaps the devs will keep Red as the "classic PvP" server, or perhaps they'll reset Red and make it the new "Green Red" server (but not leave the old Red behind). In either of those cases Red likely wouldn't get custom content. Again, no one knows for sure.

Danth
11-12-2018, 08:22 PM
I don't think anyone knows for sure except the devs (and maybe not even them), but we do know:

They don't know either. Indeed, they don't even agree amongst themselves what custom content would or should entail. Some of them think it should mean stuff for everyone, while others have at times posted that they envision it as content for high-end raiders only.

At any rate, threads like this seem akin to putting the cart before the horse. As of this writing there hasn't been a patch in well over a year, with much work left to be done on the existing content. Developer burnout is real, and expecting them to do more than perhaps eventually finish up the existing tasks seems a bit much given present circumstances.

Danth

Kaight
11-12-2018, 08:23 PM
Here are some previous threads

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283144

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999/comments/62m7q6/project_1999_future_plans/

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294115

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261812

loramin
11-12-2018, 08:24 PM
They don't know either. Indeed, they don't even agree amongst themselves what custom content would or should entail. Some of them think it should mean stuff for everyone, while others have at times posted that they envision it as content for high-end raiders only.

At any rate, threads like this seem akin to putting the cart before the horse. As of this writing there hasn't been a patch in well over a year, with much work left to be done on the existing content. Developer burnout is real, and expecting them to do more than perhaps eventually finish up the existing tasks seems a bit much given present circumstances.

Danth

All that is 100% absolutely true ... but let's be honest: dreaming up new parts of our favorite fantasy world is a fun exercise (which is why it keeps coming up over, and over, and over, and ...)

Danth
11-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Agree, letting the mind roam can be enjoyable and harms no-one.

Personally I wouldn't mind stuff like a fixed Luclin (keep the good, chuck the large amount of bad) or filling out the holes in the existing map (Veksar is a prime example, tuned for era-appropriate characters).

Danth

Bardp1999
11-12-2018, 08:31 PM
Its funny that you think we will see the end of the time line within the next 5 years. Very cute

Thiefboy777
11-13-2018, 07:45 AM
A recharge vendor in WC. Not sure how it would work making the vendors stock inventory unbuyable, but damn it would be convenient.

Ghostly
11-13-2018, 08:04 AM
It probably won't use Luclin zones (a dev awhile back said it was easier to just make brand new zones than to adapt existing ones)

What? LOL

Find me any emu server that has a completely brand new zone and not just an old zone reskinned, or repopulated.

Tortok
11-13-2018, 09:02 AM
I guess it was meant that way. You can only take what your client has and populate it, i.e. new zones.
Not a new zone would be e.g.: take Plane of Nightmare and make it balanced for lvl60 without AAs, hence get all pathings, spawn points, existing quests with dialog...

Rygar
11-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Anything that wasn't on the server prior to December 4th, 2001 is the answer.

I think some things can be reasonable custom content, particularly GM events such as Braknar's awesome Halloween event.

It would be cool to do things like that, but not confined to a single evening event. Perhaps there is a series of quests implemented for a 2 month span, no one knows what they are. Gather obscure 'no classic use' items from around Norrath (i.e. force neckbeards to use the other zones they aren't used to).

Rewards can be similar in line to the Halloween loot (removed items such as Rubicite, HEBs, etc) and some ToV loot.

Hell, maybe a custom quest chain for certain bottleneck epic pieces like Mage hate staff, white dragon scale, green dragon scale.

I would favor quests like this to just be extremely long, have multiple possible outcomes, and not be 'raid force' centered. Use your brain instead of your muscle to discover the rewards if you know what I mean.

Keep in mind these are just 'short term' implemented quests for a small time. They disappear, but perhaps re-appear a few years later but there are tweaks to what is needed to be found so you can't rush through it again and farm it.

Best part of the Halloween event is no one knew what to do initially (looking at you wiki), it actually recaptured that feeling of the unknown and rush of excitement from back in the day. Would love to see more of that.

Edit: Ooooh, forgot. Would be nice to use existing NPCs in game and existing drops. Make people run around and hail NPCs and try phrases like back in the day. Reward those that search

loramin
11-13-2018, 12:05 PM
What? LOL

Find me any emu server that has a completely brand new zone and not just an old zone reskinned, or repopulated.

Sorry, I worded that poorly. Here's the original quote (responding to another quote, from here (https://www.project1999.com/forums/member.php?u=3))):

Almost definitely no scratch-made zones - that would be a ton of work. They'll likely be adding content that already exists, just a tweaked version. I believe I heard mention of trying out some LoY zones? May have just been a rumor.
Surprisingly, it is faster and less work to build from creativity, than it is to research and emulate something existing.

Although Nilbog doesn't explicitly say so, you're very likely correct: he's probably not talking about new 3D zone files, he's talking about using an existing zone file to create an (otherwise) completely new zone, vs. trying to re-create the Luclin (or whatever expansion) version of it.

But that's just my guess, and I know nothing except what the devs (explicitly) say. For all I know Nilbog is really hardcore and does plan to create new 3D zone files. If you want to know for sure you'd have to ask him.

Ghostly
11-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Sorry, I worded that poorly. Here's the original quote (responding to another quote, from here (https://www.project1999.com/forums/member.php?u=3))):

Although Nilbog doesn't explicitly say so, you're very likely correct: he's probably not talking about new 3D zone files, he's talking about using an existing zone file to create an (otherwise) completely new zone, vs. trying to re-create the Luclin (or whatever expansion) version of it.

But that's just my guess, and I know nothing except what the devs (explicitly) say. For all I know Nilbog is really hardcore and does plan to create new 3D zone files. If you want to know for sure you'd have to ask him.

Ok, that makes more sense hahaha. I was like uhhhhh.

I newly redeveloped zones would be pretty bad ass.

Kesselring
11-13-2018, 09:22 PM
I would like a velious type raid zone in odus. One that has 3-4 raid targets that drop stuff similar to west tov raid targets. That continent is mostly a ghost town (with the exception of the actual ghost towns). Would be nice if there was a velious-raid era type zone by surefall as well. Perhaps make it druid/ranger/qeynos faction so if you kill mobs in there they make you lose faction for that area of the continent. I feel like theres a lot of under utilized zones & lore. Also kerra island, who here has actually gone to this zone? Would be nice if they updated it to be a higher level exp zone, something far out of the way and hard to kill NPCs with a ZEM a little better than solb/lguk.

Also a zone in the EC tunnel called smugglers cavern would be nice with merchants that sell to all races for double the prices. Zone into it from the back of EC tunnel by shady and there would be another underwater entrance in NRO by the coastline closer to EFP.

Kika Maslyaka
11-14-2018, 12:26 AM

On entire Emu since 2005, there was only 1 guy who actually went and made a whole 3 zones from scratch. 2 of them were mostly just empty boxes with a few trees ;)

And yes I totally get what Nilbog was saying - researching "exactly how it was" is a major pain. If you gonna do non classic content anyway, may as well do Vampires in Juggedpine and completely new set of quests with it. T-client contains crap ton of material (zones, models) all way up to DODH expansion - that's like 200 zones, 300 new npc models and like 500 weapons and shields past Velious. Plenty to pick from.

Swish2
11-14-2018, 03:48 AM
Cats in LDON with some AA's but not others, as well as some PoP zones excluding ones I decided I don't like.

(these threads)

Toodles
11-20-2018, 05:14 PM
Assuming we finish the timeline (according to Nilbog we are looking at more than 1 patch of classic content before they finish), the Devs have stated they are looking to implement some “custom content.”

What will this entail? Will this be GM events + earthquakes, or permanent content additions? Will this be only on blue or the Wild West as well?

Discuss.

New server with :

No Mq
Timeline releases..on time

There, everything wrong with P99 blue solved.

Zuranthium
01-24-2019, 02:48 AM
The most applicable custom content would be a green server with different item drop locations and NPC stats, for every timeline refresh (along with other various quality of life improvements and alterations to fill out the classic game world), so that people get to actually play Everquest again. It's only Everquest if people have to explore and discover and experiment, rather than everything already being known via wiki. Take me to the Norrath where Runnyeye, Everfrost, Dalnir, Nurga, Temple of Frozen Shadow, etc have groups constantly going there, where the whole game world feels alive and there is far less crowding around a handful of zones and NPC's.

I don't think it would be difficult to gather a group of thoughtful volunteers to create that kind of environment either. This group of developers would just be moving/adjusting already-existing things within the game to make it a better experience for the players, to bring back the classic Everquest adventure and local color. If time allows, I would be all for further cosmetic alterations as well, that remain entirely in the spirit of Norrath, like undead Ogres or whatnot in specific zones, as this post shows is very possible - https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2786633&postcount=9

Izmael
01-24-2019, 04:07 AM
Sleeper reset script would be good, non game-breaking content.

Swish2
01-24-2019, 05:40 AM
Shut down all zones except for EC.

Then have every player and every mob set to level 1. On each mob is a lot of plat and items you'd usually find in various zones from vanilla to Velious, with maybe an extremely rare chance of something like a manastone dropping.

Then everyone can sell things to each other, flip items for more plat than what they originally paid...

Basically a shorthand version of what everyone is doing now. Fat cat paradise.

Anyone who votes this idea down is kidding themselves and is probably stood at T1 relisting their auctions between keystrokes on the forum.

Caldwin
01-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Any new custom items should have a level limits. P99 is already twinked to death without new high level items trickling down to low level characters.

Either that, or have item decay where the lower level you are compared to the intended level to obtain an item, the item will lower its stats when used. The greater the level difference between player and item level, the faster the decay.

daxchunjae1912
01-24-2019, 07:45 PM
*If you truly want a classic server, get rid of custom item links since they did NOT exist when it was classic from 1999-2000. In other words, you had to type out each stat for each item.

*Restrict full screen viewing since the viewport was blocked by scrolls and surrounding UI.

*Thirdly, no MQ whatsoever and no windowed mode either.

*Fourth, reset the server from time to time because there's too many twinks and inflated platinum hoarders lurking about.

*Fifth, allow pure darkness and/or disable brightness/contrast since the whole point of immersion was exactly how it was for those without infrared/ultravision abilities.

*Sixth, enable the stamina meter to actually have an impact during combat and having food/water is an absolute essential part of adventuring because low to no stamina dilemmas also played a huge part in classic back then.

*And lastly, spread out the expansion releases more evenly. i.e kunark was only 2 years to velious 4? Make it 3 to 3 or some kind of equality.