PDA

View Full Version : US Library of Congress grants DMCA exception for preserving online games

Oleris
10-30-2018, 11:03 AM
https://massivelyop.com/2018/10/26/us-copyright-office-grants-dmca-exception-for-preserving-online-games/

Oleris
10-30-2018, 11:05 AM
So, does this mean you can go out and put up a City of Heroes or Matrix Online emulator free and clear under no threat of legal action? Well, not unless you’re a museum/archivist doing so for provably preservative purposes or you’re content to play with just yourself. Here’s the relevant bit from the filing in the Library of Congress made public today.

“(i) Video games in the form of computer programs embodied in physical or downloaded formats that have been lawfully acquired as complete games, when the copyright owner or its authorized representative has ceased to provide access to an external computer server necessary to facilitate an authentication process to enable gameplay, solely for the purpose of:

(A) Permitting access to the video game to allow copying and modification of the computer program to restore access to the game for personal, local gameplay on a personal computer or video game console; or

(B) Permitting access to the video game to allow copying and modification of the computer program to restore access to the game on a personal computer or video game console when necessary to allow preservation of the game in a playable form by an eligible library, archives, or museum, where such activities are carried out without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage and the video game is not distributed or made available outside of the physical premises of the eligible library, archives, or museum.”

Step forward in the right direction.

loramin
10-30-2018, 11:49 AM
(B) Permitting access to the video game to allow copying and modification of the computer program to restore access to the game on a personal computer or video game console when necessary to allow preservation of the game in a playable form by an eligible library, archives, or museum, where such activities are carried out without any purpose of direct or indirect commercial advantage and the video game is not distributed or made available outside of the physical premises of the eligible library, archives, or museum.”

While the language isn't exactly geared towards MMOGs, it seems like if P99 could be classified as an "eligible library, archives, or museum" the entire project would be in the clear.

ScaringChildren
10-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Thanks Trump

Wonkie
10-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Thanks Trump

America
10-30-2018, 12:29 PM
my President exempted me from the draft

loramin
10-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Thanks Trump

On February 24, 2016, President Barack Obama nominated Hayden to serve as the next Librarian of Congress.

ScaringChildren
10-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Yeah but Trump is a fascist, so he forced Hayden at gun point to do this.

NegaStoat
10-30-2018, 01:04 PM
Thanks Trump

I'm not holding my breath for an emu of City of Heroes / Villains making the rounds anytime soon. It would be amazing if it happened though.

ScaringChildren
10-30-2018, 01:11 PM
I'm not holding my breath for an emu of City of Heroes / Villains making the rounds anytime soon. It would be amazing if it happened though.

https://cityoftitans.com/

clevergirl
10-30-2018, 04:37 PM
This has nothing to do with Turnip at all.

1st of all its a bipartisan bill in the works from the Obama days.

2cnd of all it further removes the free use clause of copyright law from the people and restricts uses to those only specified by a committee of lobbyists.

Obama may not have signed it into law, protecting your free use rights.

You got fucked.

By the lizard people.

You fucking ignorant retarded motherfucking whores never cease to amaze me.

America
10-30-2018, 04:41 PM

2cnd of all it further removes the free use clause of copyright law from the people and restricts uses to those only specified by a committee of lobbyists.

You got fucked.

By the lizard people.

i'm glad you'er watching out for this stuff. my dizzy lil head is too full of feather boas and pink colored accoutrements to concentrate on the great shark toothed maw anymore. its really sexy of you.

clevergirl
10-30-2018, 04:45 PM
i'm glad you'er watching out for this stuff. my dizzy lil head is too full of feather boas and pink colored accoutrements to concentrate on the great shark toothed maw anymore. its really sexy of you.

This wellbutrin is really increasing my aggression 10 fold to 9/11 levels and doing nothing else but make me want to vomit.

Terrorists win.

ScaringChildren
10-30-2018, 05:16 PM

You got fucked.

By the lizard people.

Thank you for defending corporations from the relentless assault carried out by the little man