PDA

View Full Version : Price correlation with item stats on wiki

Seeker
10-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Is there a way to surface pricing data for items on the wiki so you could sort by DPS per plat to find the best value items? It would be great not to have to build this functionality.

There are likely items that sell for like 50p with almost the same DPS as 10K items. Just need to find them without clicking each one for price data. As a n00b player with 65p to my name this would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Daallee
10-30-2018, 04:35 PM
You know the problem is that you can't correlate any one variable to price.

- Is is magic?
- Are there added stats?
- Are there procs?
- What classes can use it? i.e. What weapons does it compare to?
- Is it difficult to obtain?
- How much does it weigh?
- Is it fashionable?(!!)
- Of course, damage/delay ratio

I seriously doubt that there are 50p weapons with the same DPS as 10k items, but I invite someone to show me the market proof. Could you list your class/race and what type of weapon you are looking for? I know this doesn't answer your question, but it could help you find a cheap and decent weapon

zodium
10-30-2018, 04:38 PM
There isn't.

lctucker2999
10-30-2018, 05:06 PM
If you're looking SOLELY at dmg/dly, Tstaff and peacebringer are almost identical. They even have the same weight. The proc alone turns a 4k staff into a 50k staff.

Best bet is to just sort by dmg/dly and open each weapon in a new tab to check the prices

loramin
10-30-2018, 05:30 PM
It is hypothetically possible, but very unlikely to ever happen.

While the item stats are stored in the main wiki database, the price data is kept in completely separate database tables that Ravhin setup. Only special scripts can access that data, and only someone with wiki machine access (not just admins within the wiki itself, like me) can add such scripts.

Oh, and Ravhin doesn't play here anymore. He does respond to small requests (that's how I was able to get the Velious items fixed to have prices), but I rather doubt that he would want to write the custom code necessary to make the item lists include pricing data.

So the options for making this happen are:

Convince Ravhin to do it (this is probably the easiest/fastest option, since Ravhin wrote both the item lists and the auction tracker ... but the hard part is getting someone who doesn't even play P99 to spend their time doing it)
Get someone who is really good at PHP and the MediaWiki software to create their own copy of the wiki on their own machine, including Ravhin's custom scripts, then have them write the necessary code, then have them convince Rogean to apply that code to the wiki with the promise that it won't break anything with it (good luck)
Get Rogean to give wiki machine access to someone other than Ravhin who still does play (myself or anyone else who would be willing to write the code), and then they can write the code, much more easily

There are also three other inferior options:

Someone could write a scraping program that visits every item page on the wiki to get its price, then add it back (either to each item page or to the item list pages) ... and then repeats that every few months, because pricing data changes
A wiki admin (like myself) could write Javascript code that automatically calculates the DPS to price ratio on each item page (but this wouldn't be useful for comparing multiple items)
A wiki admin (like myself) could write Javascript code that adds a link next to every item in an item list; if you click this link it would check the item's current price using AJAX (ie. "behind the scenes") and then add that price, and maybe the DPS/price ratio also, to the item list ... but you'd have to do this for each item individually, because if you did it for all items everyone who visits the item page would suddenly trigger 200 (or however many items) hits on the wiki, which could slow things down for everyone else

I could do #2 or #3 (#2 would actually be pretty easy). However, neither would be very useful without the ability to see many DPS/price ratios at once, and there's just no way to do that (without hitting 200 pages at once and slowing down the wiki) unless you do it on the back-end ... ie. unless your name is Ravhin.

Hope that helps.

Zipity
10-30-2018, 05:51 PM
What class/race/level are you and what are your current weapons?