PDA

View Full Version : Transgender MMORPG Preferences

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 12:25 PM
I'm going to attempt this again because the last thread got labeled "problematic" and deleted. I'm moving this to the Off Topic section; if this is the wrong forum category to post this, then please move it.

I know there's a big transgender community here in Project 1999 and I've seriously always wondered what their preferences are. I've always been interested in the different preferences of men and women in EQ and gaming in general. I'm looking to see if there are any similarities to trans people and how their preferences may have changed as they transitioned.

Please be mature

This is NOT intended to be a hateful thread.

Please do NOT post hateful comments about trans people here.

If you are not trans, but want to answer the questions, please feel free to do so, but please also include your gender.

What is your favorite race & class to play in EQ?

What gender do you generally choose for your character?

When you play MMOs or RPGs in general, what do you look for in your characters? (Appearance, fun abilities, min/max etc)

What role do you prefer to play as? (supportive/healing, a damage, tanking, etc.)

Do you like to lead groups/raids, sit back and go along with others, or do you prefer to solo instead?

Do you enjoy PvP and actively seek it out or is it just another game mode for you?

Are you more interested in the social aspect of EQ or powergaming and reaching goals?

Are you M2F or F2M? Pre/Post-op? Are you undergoing HRT?

Have you noticed any of your gaming preferences change as you transitioned?

loramin
10-15-2018, 12:37 PM
These questions seem pretty broad. Like, transgender people are just people; the fact that they are transgender doesn't decide whether they raid, whether they tank, or whether they play a Rogue or a Wizard.

Are you trying to find some great insights into the mind of transgender MMOG players? That seems a little odd, but hey, I've wasted many hours on guides for an almost two decade-old game, so who am I to judge? But if that's your goal, as many transgender people as we have on this forum, it's nowhere near enough to get a proper cohort for a study ...

... so the best your questions can do is elicit meaningless responses from a sample size that's too small, leading you to draw inaccurate conclusions about an entire community.

I dunno, I'm all for people stepping out of their comfort zone and trying to learn about people who are different from them, but this whole post feels a bit off.

mickmoranis
10-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Im glad we have loramin here to speak on behalf of our transgender community.

Sit down for once and stop with your whitesplaing.

ScaringChildren
10-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Im glad we have loramin here to speak on behalf of our transgender community.

Sit down for once and stop with your whitesplaing.

loramin
10-15-2018, 01:11 PM
Dude imagine if he came here asking the same exact questions about straight white males? Scared child, do you play a Warrior because you're straight? Mick do you raid because you're white?

ScaringChildren
10-15-2018, 01:12 PM
Dude imagine if he came here asking the same exact questions about straight white males? Scared child, do you play a Warrior because you're straight? Mick do you raid because you're white?

You're being very problematic right now.

America
10-15-2018, 01:19 PM
My gender journey was definitely influenced, or may be reflected in, my MMO preferences. Tabbed for later. Thank you for the Paladin's shield tho big Lore

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 01:21 PM
In hindsight I would roll a dreanai at BC crusade launch and play a strictly holy pally in PvP. Then after wotlk ended, I'd end it.

loramin
10-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Thank you for the Paladin's shield tho big Lore

NP, but I wasn't trying to shield anyone. My post was not trying to suggest that transgender people couldn't speak for themselves, or needed me to defend them, or anything like that.

I just think, as a straight white cis-male, that it's weird to ask a bunch of game-related questions about a completely non-game related identity aspect like someone's sexuality or gender.

Now if he'd asked something like "do you think you got into MMOGs because they let you express your true gender at a time in your life when you couldn't express it in the real world" or something like that, then of course it'd be topical (and actually that's something I've wondered myself).

But what does whether you raid or not have to do with your gender identity? It's like asking whether you cook your own meals, or whether you bike to work, in relation to whether you raid or not.

America
10-15-2018, 01:31 PM
yes Sir

ScaringChildren
10-15-2018, 01:35 PM
NP, but I wasn't trying to shield anyone. My post was not trying to suggest that transgender people couldn't speak for themselves, or needed me to defend them, or anything like that.

I just think it's weird to ask a bunch of game-related questions about a completely non-game related identity aspect like someone's sexuality or gender.

Now if he'd asked something like "do you think you got into MMOGs because they let you express your true gender at a time in your life when you couldn't express it in the real world" or something like that, then of course it'd be topical. But what does whether you raid or not have to do with your gender identity? It's like asking whether you cook your own meals, or whether you bike to work, in relation to whether you raid or not.

So I can't ask transgender folks if they prefer hotdogs or tacos?

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 01:36 PM
These questions seem pretty broad. Like, transgender people are just people; the fact that they are transgender doesn't decide whether they raid, whether they tank, or whether they play a Rogue or a Wizard.

Are you trying to find some great insights into the mind of transgender MMOG players? That seems a little odd, but hey, I've wasted many hours on guides for an almost two decade-old game, so who am I to judge? But if that's your goal, as many transgender people as we have on this forum, it's nowhere near enough to get a proper cohort for a study ...

... so the best your questions can do is elicit meaningless responses from a sample size that's too small, leading you to draw inaccurate conclusions about an entire community.

I dunno, I'm all for people stepping out of their comfort zone and trying to learn about people who are different from them, but this whole post feels a bit off.

It's been shown that men and women tend to have certain preferences that often correlate with their gender.

After playing MMOs for many years, I got to know a lot of different people in the guilds I played with and I noticed trends in play styles that seemed to correlate with gender. Other than one IRL friend of mine, I never got to know any other trans players and their preferences. I was curious to see what trans people in EQ enjoyed. There seems to be a large transgender community here in Project 1999 which makes it seem like a great place to ask.

ScaringChildren
10-15-2018, 01:45 PM
It's been shown that men and women tend to have certain preferences that often correlate with their gender.

After playing MMOs for many years, I got to know a lot of different people in the guilds I played with and I noticed trends in play styles that seemed to correlate with gender. Other than one IRL friend of mine, I never got to know any other trans players and their preferences. I was curious to see what trans people in EQ enjoyed. There seems to be a large transgender community here in Project 1999 which makes it seem like a great place to ask.

Your crime was your curiosity.

Curiosity killed the cat, bucko.

Don't ask questions around here. You don't ask questions to people who have things to hide, got it?

You should know everything already and if you don't? Well then you're a bigot.

How DARE you?

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Your crime was your curiosity.

Curiosity killed the cat, bucko.

Don't ask questions around here. You don't ask questions to people who have things to hide, got it?

You should know everything already and if you don't? Well then you're a bigot.

How DARE you?

The lot of you have already derailed this thread almost beyond repair.

Would you please stop?

clevergirl
So I can't ask transgender folks if they prefer hotdogs or tacos?

Tacos, but only from a real authentic Mexican restaurant.

Wonkie
clerics are generous lovers

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 01:51 PM
The lot of you have already derailed this thread almost beyond repair.

Would you please stop?

Fuck SJWs, all of them. Including the fake ones.

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 01:54 PM

Basically this. All the trannies I know typically have a closeted healer main, though they play other characters.

Same trope of other online girls.

You're looking at this trope wrong though.

Gender is a failed perspective and total bullshit.

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Why is this such a toxic topic for people?

I'm not here to debate your opinions of transgenders or gender in general.

My trans friend seriously took no offense to questions like these, why can't you all?

Wonkie
10-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Basically this. All the trannies I know typically have a closeted healer main, though they play other characters.

Same trope of other online girls.

You're looking at this trope wrong though.

Gender is a failed perspective and total bullshit.

clerics are the most, uh, fashion-oriented class, being able to choose a lifestyle accessory(religion) on creation. socially this serves as a sort of advertisement in the sexual marketplace. their eagerness to cooperate is bittersweet though as it can lead to them being "passed around" and used. you never know who's in the body that day unless you ask.

i hope this was helpful op

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 02:15 PM
clerics are the most, uh, fashion-oriented class, being able to choose a lifestyle accessory(religion) on creation. socially this serves as a sort of advertisement in the sexual marketplace. their eagerness to cooperate is bittersweet though as it can lead to them being "passed around" and used. you never know who's in the body that day unless you ask.

i hope this was helpful op

No.
Why is this such a touchy subject for you?

Wonkie
10-15-2018, 02:17 PM
No.
Why is this such a touchy subject for you?

https://i.imgur.com/pH7Cy01.gif

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 02:27 PM
Seriously what is wrong here?

I honestly don't understand how you are all taking offense to this.

I ask some honest questions about preferences among transgender people and get labeled as a disingenuous asshole.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute then stop trolling and go away.

Cecily
10-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Neat topic! I’ll give it some thought and reply later. Tl;dr is escapism, I wanted to be pretty on some level, and yes my gaming habits have massively changed since HRT.

ScaringChildren
10-15-2018, 02:36 PM
Seriously what is wrong here?

I honestly don't understand how you are all taking offense to this.

I ask some honest questions about preferences among transgender people and get labeled as a disingenuous asshole.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute then stop trolling and go away.

Your post wasn't offensive.

It was also offensive.

You see, the rules are made up as we go. We abide by them when they are the most convenient.

When our opponents call us out, we say that truth is merely subjective and a human construct.

Nothing is true.

Everything is true.

Welcome to Post-modernism.

loramin
10-15-2018, 02:37 PM
You need to use your imagination. For instance, you said your friend was fine with these questions right? So let's do a little thought experiment:

Hey, my friend James who happens to be African-American, why do you love watermelon so much? Is it because of the flavor? The texture? Is watermelon something that all people like you like?

In that case James won't punch you in the face ... probably (depending on how good of a friend he is). Especially if you leave off that last question. But then try asking the same thing to a public forum:

Hey African-American Project 1999 players: why do you love watermelon so much? Is it because of the flavor? The texture? Is watermelon something that all people like you like?

Hopefully that made you wince.

Now obviously transgender people have neither stereotypes about watermelon nor about raiding in EQ. But they do have stereotypes of being "the other", or being different, and of being defined by their gender identity.

Your questions reveal a ton about your own biases and how you see transgender people. For instance, you clearly see transgender people as being so different from you that their gender identity could (at least potentially) determine every aspect of how they play EQ. If that wasn't true, why would you ask the questions you did?

But if I asked you "do you play a cleric (or raid, or whatever) because you're a straight cis-gender male?" you'd probably say that's a stupid question.

ScaringChildren
10-15-2018, 02:39 PM
Why are there so many black basketball players?

Wonkie
10-15-2018, 02:43 PM

It was also offensive.

You see, the rules are made up as we go. We abide by them when they are the most convenient.

When our opponents call us out, we say that truth is merely subjective and a human construct.

Nothing is true.

Everything is true.

its only offensive by way of being massively banal

maskedmelon
10-15-2018, 02:45 PM

omgosh, you're such a goober. OP is just curious. look, there are all sortsa correlations that we know about people and behavior:

women earn less than men
men commit more violent crime than women
blacks play more pro basketball than whites
progressives cry more than conservatives
conservatives are grossed out more easily than progressives

it COULD be that transgender persons DO raid more than other people and if they do, that is a very interesting finding. It could well be that the opposite is true instead. That would also be very interesting because it tells us something. It may not be a useful thing, but we cannot determine hat unless we know the thing and ask more questions.

/bonk

ScaringChildren
10-15-2018, 02:46 PM
its only offensive by way of being massively banal

What if he isn't trolling?

Wonkie
10-15-2018, 02:50 PM
What if he isn't trolling?

you're gonna make me cry :(

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm not offended at OP.

I'm offended by OPs offense at my nonoffendendness that they misread as offense.

Wonkie nailed it 1000%

My cleric(s) got respectively donated to the guilds I played with. You're all welcome.

OP is a clueless triggered moron virtue signalling artificial pussy.

katrik
10-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Nothing has changed for me. I’ve always been a fan of dot classes (necros, warlocks) and mages/wizards/whatever. I like to watch things rot & suffer.. and blow up. Also, OP, it’s best to pm us if you have specific questions, doing so in public in this cesspool of a community is not a good idea.

loramin
10-15-2018, 03:00 PM
omgosh, you're such a goober. OP is just curious. look, there are all sortsa correlations that we know about people and behavior:

women earn less than men
men commit more violent crime than women
blacks play more pro basketball than whites
progressives cry more than conservatives
conservatives are grossed out more easily than progressives

it COULD be that transgender persons DO raid more than other people and if they do, that is a very interesting finding. It could well be that the opposite is true instead. That would also be very interesting because it tells us something. It may not be a useful thing, but we cannot determine hat unless we know the thing and ask more questions.

/bonk

It could be true that if we did a survey of African-Americans on this forum that the majority would like watermelon. That does not make it any less racist to create a survey asking if African-Americans like watermelon.

I don't know how many ways I can repeat this: people play Everquest because of who they are as complete people. They decide what race, what class, whether to raid, etc. because they are people, not because of they are African-American people, female people, bi-sexual people, or whatever.

When you focus on a single, unrelated aspect of who a person is, and say "does it make you different form us normal people in this way? what about in this way?", it says more about you and why you're asking so much about that one aspect, as if it somehow defined everything about those people, then it does about the group you've decided to fixate on.

P.S. And as I said at the start, even if one was serious about conducting a real study on correlations between transgender people and certain playstyles (which, again, would be a weird thing to want to study, and again makes me question the motives of the study's author) ... there aren't nearly enough transgender players in these forums to do a viable study. If you ask three or four people their opinion on something that does not constitute a real scientifically-valid study: it's just a few people's opinions.

And if you decide to extrapolate those opinions into generalizations about all transgender people, you're spreading misinformation, not information. It's just like asking three or four African-American people whether they like basketball or watermelon, and then if they all say yes claiming "all African-American people like basketball and watermelon; perhaps their African-American taste buds make them like the taste of watermelon more than Caucasian-Americans".

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 03:03 PM
As a healer, my goal would be to prolong suffering until the utmost moment it could no longer be sustained.

In PvP it was always to deny my enemies satisfaction against their prey. So basically to troll ppl by cockblocking their kills essentially to use terminology everyone is familiar with.

I wouldn't consider myself a healer archetype anymore though.

maskedmelon
10-15-2018, 03:22 PM
It could be true that if we did a survey of African-Americans on this forum that the majority would like watermelon. That does not make it any less racist to create a survey asking if African-Americans like watermelon.

I don't know how many ways I can repeat this: people play Everquest because of who they are as complete people. They decide what race, what class, whether to raid, etc. because they are people, not because of they are African-American people, female people, bi-sexual people, or whatever.

When you focus on a single, unrelated aspect of who a person is, and say "does it make you different form us normal people in this way? what about in this way?", it says more about you and why you're asking so much about that one aspect, as if it somehow defined everything about those people, then it does about the group you've decided to fixate on.

P.S. And as I said at the start, even if one was serious about conducting a real study on correlations between transgender people and certain playstyles (which, again, would be a weird thing to want to study, and again makes me question the motives of the study's author) ... there aren't nearly enough transgender players in these forums to do a viable study. If you ask three or four people their opinion on something that does not constitute a real scientifically-valid study: it's just a few people's opinions, and if you decide to extrapolate those opinions into generalizations about all transgender people, you're spreading misinformation, not information.

these are retarded thoughts. their retardation exists independent of your race/gender/orientation/identity/sock color. I've been super restrained with you because I always wanted to believe you were sincere no matter how that made me feel, but you need a smack upside the noggin. everyone already said they don't have issue with OP, stop derailing the thread and think about how you might adopt a less regressive schedule of thought. if you wanna continue the convo, make another thread about it.

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Nothing has changed for me. I’ve always been a fan of dot classes (necros, warlocks) and mages/wizards/whatever. I like to watch things rot & suffer.. and blow up. Also, OP, it’s best to pm us if you have specific questions, doing so in public in this cesspool of a community is not a good idea.

Thanks and I see what you mean about the community being a cesspool; I'm just going to stop feeding the trolls at this point and let things play out.

How exactly am I supposed to find who to PM though?

Cecily
10-15-2018, 03:29 PM
Tbh, we’ve learned to talk around the bullshit since this basically happens when any trans topic gets brought up. I’m ok with a public forum for discourse.

America, Nexii, Katrik, Secrets, and myself are the out trans women I’m aware of if you wanted to pursue it that way though.

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks and I see what you mean about the community being a cesspool; I'm just going to stop feeding the trolls at this point and let things play out.

How exactly am I supposed to find who to PM though?

Katrik is the only real woman here, so just give up now while you're ahead.

katrik
10-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Myself, Cecily, Clevergirl, America (or whoever), Nexii (I think). I think there are some more, but I don't know. I myself have been taking HRT since 2005, out and about since 2006, have had breast augmentation, electro, and SRS is scheduled for next year. If you do some digging on this thread, you can see what I look like. Also, most of these transwomen posted above get banned all of the time, so I don't know what their OG names are on this forum (except for Cece). But yes, I don't mind taking PM's.

katrik
10-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Oh Yeah! Secrets.

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Tbh, we’ve learned to talk around the bullshit since this basically happens when any trans topic gets brought up. I’m ok with a public forum for discourse.

America, Nexii, Katrik, Secrets, and myself are the out trans women I’m aware of if you wanted to pursue it that way though.

Thanks.
If anyone wants to PM me their responses, feel free.

America
10-15-2018, 03:50 PM
This thread succeeded in making me feel sad. 5 stars

Nexii
10-15-2018, 04:34 PM
I don't think you're going to draw too much conclusions from a study with a sample size of about six.

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 04:50 PM
I don't think you're going to draw too much conclusions from a study with a sample size of about six.

I think these forums may have a slight bias.

The real question is. Why do any of us post here?

Sometimes I think I'm already dead and this is just the entropic fuzz of my mind rambling to itself until I fall into static.

Cecily
10-15-2018, 04:53 PM
Hi. I like to play rogues and elves. I started playing EQ at 17 and decided it wasn’t worth the grief my irl friends would give me for playing a girl, so male wood elf back on live. Later on, I saw a higher level wood elf rogue girl, I thought she was a really pretty character, so I was kicking myself for not making main female. I played a female DE rogue for a short while, but the social interactions were weird and I ended up quitting for Lineage II shortly afterwards anyways.

Decided I wasn’t going to deal with that regret in another game so Jetta, my dark elf assassin, was born without much rumination and I loved that character. I decided I was gonna try out a female online identity. That lasted about a month or two, I made friends with someone and he invited me to his clan... I learned what ventrilo was. +2 years male online identity.

When I joined this magical place, I decided I just wouldn’t talk. I kept that up for about a year so and most people called me she and it was nice, albeit real awkward and I eventually outed myself to try to support Katrik and represent trans women / cultivate empathy with people who didn’t understand us. Ha ha.

Anyways I’m always playing females now... I can’t play guys anymore. Weirds me out. Lineage II taught me that I like PvP and that I’m one hell of a grifer. I was a very notorious pk. I don’t like leading, but I’m good at it. Most raids I end up giving orders to the dps who are bad at the game. Social is very important to me but I played EQ to forget I was too poor to transition. I’ve backstabbed more than a few guilds to keep my pixels flowing. It was a drug to me.

I’m currently transitioning on hormones since last October (MTF) and by far the biggest change in my video game habits is the fact I don’t play video games anymore. I’m waaaay more into socializing with people than I used to be and video games are incredibly boring for me now. It’s fortunate. I have a lot of work to do on getting my life together and I can finally work towards it without feeling compelled to check out mentally for 12+ hours every day.

Cecily
10-15-2018, 04:55 PM
It’s called a discussion. It’s not a scientific survey. People ask you questions and you answer those questions and maybe they want to ask more questions based off what you answered.

Hope this helps.

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 04:58 PM
That's ok, this wasn't intended to be a scientific study anyway, although I think it would be awesome to see the results of one.

Anyway, thanks to those who have responded to me here or in PMs.

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 05:11 PM
It’s called a discussion. It’s not a scientific survey. People ask you questions and you answer those questions and maybe they want to ask more questions based off what you answered.

Hope this helps.

It certain did thanks. I always wondered if sex hormones played a role in people's preferences. Some people are quick to deny gendered preferences as sexist, but there could be a scientific basis behind them.

Cecily
10-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Most women aren’t hardcore video gamers and it’s not completely out of the question to suggest that switching my brain chemistry to a female one made me less interested in something most females aren’t that interested in. As far as I know, though, the rest of the trans women here are gamers for life.

loramin
10-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Some people are quick to deny gendered preferences as sexist, but there could be a scientific basis behind them.

If a young woman is too poor to afford certain hygiene products, so she misses school when she has her period, and her teacher asks something like "if we got you some free hygiene products would you be able to come to school more often?", that's not sexist.

Or if an NGO conducts a legitimate study of poor young women to see what effect their access (or lack thereof) to hygiene products has on their school attendance rate, that's not also sexist.

But when you go up to a group of young women you don't know and ask "so are you girls going to miss school tomorrow because of your periods?" that is sexist ... even if you were genuinely just curious about whether their differences from you will result in them missing school.

Context matters, and it especially matters when questioning people about their identity and asking them to represent an entire group.

this user was banned
10-15-2018, 05:25 PM
If a young woman is too poor to afford certain hygiene products, so she misses school when she has her period, and her teacher asks something like "if we got you some free hygiene products would you be able to come to school more often?" That's not sexist.

Or if an NGO conducts a legitimate study of poor young women to see what effect their access (or lack thereof) to hygiene products has on their school attendance rate, that's not also sexist.

But when you go up to a group of young women you don't know and ask "so are you girls going to miss school tomorrow because of your period?" that is sexist. Context matters, and it especially matters when questioning people about their identity and asking them to represent an entire group.

Would you get off your high horse already? You're making yourself look like a jackass.

katrik
10-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Most women aren’t hardcore video gamers and it’s not completely out of the question to suggest that switching my brain chemistry to a female one made me less interested in something most females aren’t that interested in. As far as I know, though, the rest of the trans women here are gamers for life.

For sure. I still love games and stuff, but I chalk not being able to play games mostly due to being an adult with too much going on. Megaman11 is just sitting there and I don’t have time to play it =(

loramin
10-15-2018, 05:34 PM
You're making yourself look like a jackass.

Says the guy asking transgender people whether they raid or play a cleric because they were born a different gender from their physical body.

America
10-15-2018, 05:38 PM
:)

My relationship with videogames and drugs have both changed. I still enjoy both, but the draw just isn't as strong. I spend a lot more time bored and craving social interaction. It feels like the aggressive dopa loops just don't work the same way. If I work at it, I can get hooked into a well-built Skinner box or oxy binge still though.

Not sure whether that's a matter of neurochemistry, or my decision to transition giving me a means to happiness and therefore imparting weight to wise decisions. I really like walking. And other productive things. The last time I pick videogames up was a few years ago when I was really miserable and trying to content myself with balding and sprouting darker hairs every day. Being good at counterstrike was something I was willing to actually invest some of my limited diligence into then.

Don't feel like answering the questions template w/o hands, but I will say that EverQuest is the first place I ever presented as a female and I always played a healer. Cleric or druid. Had my first sexual experiences with other people ingame too. My main character was a male, but only because when I rolled him I was still affected by a stigma that prevented me from making a female. Everyone in guild knew that a girl was playing that lil hairy guy though. Since then, female characters have always been my "serious attempt" rolls while I sometimes still roll male characters when I intend to engage in buffoonery.

100% into the social aspect of the game, almost don't care about pixels except that lust for them creates a state of mania and intoxication and camaraderie that heightens the social aspect.

Always guild officer, always raid leader, always robbing people and stripping accounts and siphoning from guild income. Using sexuality to get ahead. My meta-game was always to get more than I deserved by manipulating people. That was an explicit goal I set for myself, lol. In WoW and EQ. Online games are great sandbox for no-impact sociopathic activity. I don't do that stuff anymore.

Nexii
10-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Okay, I'll bite.

My main is Dark Elf Cleric.

All 5 of my characters on P99 are female. Back in my teens/early 20s I would play a mix of male and female characters. First serious EQ character was female high elf enchantress which was questioned a little by friends. Not a lot though. Second main was a dark elf male enchanter. Third main when I returned in PoP was a male dark elf cleric. It was pretty much 50/50 through DAoC and my early days in WoW. By mid TBC expansion and on it pretty much became exclusively females. I'd consider playing a male character again though.

When you play MMOs or RPGs in general, what do you look for in your characters? (Appearance, fun abilities, min/max etc)
All these I guess.

What role do you prefer to play as? (supportive/healing, a damage, tanking, etc.)
Healing. Hunter in WoW was a close second.

Do you like to lead groups/raids, sit back and go along with others, or do you prefer to solo instead?
Mostly going along with others. Though have led raid teams for a few guilds when I played WoW.

Do you enjoy PvP and actively seek it out or is it just another game mode for you?
Played RZ to like level 27 back on live. Had no desire to play Red. EQ isn't made for PvP. In WoW PvP didn't have a massive appeal to me, though I did now and then. DAoC was probably the only PvP game that I liked for a time.

Are you more interested in the social aspect of EQ or powergaming and reaching goals?
Powergaming. Though if I just wanted shinies I'd play a newer MMO. Fashionquest matters more than progress to any end-game cleric.

M2F pre. Yes.

No. Other things, yes.

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 06:13 PM
I've always been a girl, so, fashion quest has always been important to me. Even on my troll shadow knights.

Guy character models suck.

I don't think it's fair to restrict people to male or female though.

Extremely gay that I can't have a female gypsy model with eyepatch and smallish boobs. And short feathery hair and pale blue skin with gills and sharkteeth. And still be considered female within the game engine.

loramin
10-15-2018, 06:45 PM
Extremely gay that I can't have a female gypsy model with eyepatch and smallish boobs. And short feathery hair and pale blue skin with gills and sharkteeth. And still be considered female within the game engine.

Not quite the same thing, but this reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vI5tdORhC0 (it's also on the topic of how MMOGs treat male and female characters differently ... but also I just like sharing Epic NPC Man clips).

clevergirl
10-15-2018, 10:08 PM
Not quite the same thing, but this reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vI5tdORhC0 (it's also on the topic of how MMOGs treat male and female characters differently ... but also I just like sharing Epic NPC Man clips).

Totally.

Anyway, why not just get rid of gender and race from the character creation and let people pick options.

Pick elf ears, get +5agi

Trollfat +10 endurance -5 int (all those calories are going to hitpoints instead of mana...)

Pale blue skin +5 CR

Steel bikinis on everyone.

Rader
10-15-2018, 10:21 PM
I'm going to attempt this again because the last thread got labeled "problematic" and deleted. I'm moving this to the Off Topic section; if this is the wrong forum category to post this, then please move it.

I know there's a big transgender community here in Project 1999 and I've seriously always wondered what their preferences are. I've always been interested in the different preferences of men and women in EQ and gaming in general. I'm looking to see if there are any similarities to trans people and how their preferences may have changed as they transitioned.

Please be mature

This is NOT intended to be a hateful thread.

Please do NOT post hateful comments about trans people here.

If you are not trans, but want to answer the questions, please feel free to do so, but please also include your gender.

Trans who play P99 are M2F. F2M want to reinforce their "masculinity" and P99 doesn't fit in with that.

M2F want to play with a female avatar.

Other than that, they are probably just like every one else who plays P99.

mickmoranis
10-15-2018, 10:35 PM

It was also offensive.

Nothing is true.

Everything is true.

:D

mickmoranis
10-15-2018, 10:36 PM
If a young woman is too poor to afford certain hygiene products, so she misses school when she has her period, and her teacher asks something like "if we got you some free hygiene products would you be able to come to school more often?", that's not sexist.

But when you go up to a group of young women you don't know and ask "so are you girls going to miss school tomorrow because of your periods?" that is sexist ... even if you were genuinely just curious about whether their differences from you will result in them missing school.

Context matters, and it especially matters when questioning people about their identity and asking them to represent an entire group.

holy shit THAT's what you think is sexism?

YIKES

Ahldagor
10-15-2018, 11:14 PM
For sure. I still love games and stuff, but I chalk not being able to play games mostly due to being an adult with too much going on. Megaman11 is just sitting there and I don’t have time to play it =(

This is the only acceptable response in this stale-bait of a thread.

Ahldagor
10-15-2018, 11:18 PM
holy shit THAT's what you think is sexism?

YIKES

And you offer no frame of reference of yourself in order to facilitate a conversation. You've just ridiculed to demean without context which doesn't generate affable conversation. Why are you so weak?

Katrik is the strongest poster in this thread.

mickmoranis
10-15-2018, 11:27 PM
And you offer no frame of reference of yourself in order to facilitate a conversation. You've just ridiculed to demean without context which doesn't generate affable conversation. Why are you so weak?

Katrik is the strongest poster in this thread.

you of all people dont want to hear what my opinion is.

Ahldagor
10-15-2018, 11:32 PM

Don't be shy. Weaklings are shy.

Wonkie
10-15-2018, 11:35 PM

i dont afraid of no ghost. take off your hood.

ScaringChildren
10-16-2018, 06:12 AM

This is ironic coming from you, but I guess at least you are switching your style up.

clevergirl
10-16-2018, 08:06 AM
The only games I like anymore really are the ones I can enslave and purge entire populations and use those slaves to build planet killing death machines which turn the entire galaxy into a barren wasteland.

ScaringChildren
10-16-2018, 09:02 AM
The only games I like anymore really are the ones I can enslave and purge entire populations and use those slaves to build planet killing death machines which turn the entire galaxy into a barren wasteland.

You can find those here:

https://i.imgur.com/10ujq2r.jpg

Ahldagor
10-16-2018, 11:52 AM

Have you finished Spore?

clevergirl
10-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Have you finished Spore?

Never played that, can you actually depopulate and destroy the environment making it permanently inhospitable to biological life?

I thought the point of that game was the opposite.

ScaringChildren
10-16-2018, 01:37 PM
Never played that, can you actually depopulate and destroy the environment making it permanently inhospitable to biological life?

I have the game for you:

https://i.imgur.com/HIHLbYl.jpg

clevergirl
10-16-2018, 02:04 PM
I have the game for you:

https://i.imgur.com/HIHLbYl.jpg

Use to play postal in HS

Ahldagor
10-16-2018, 04:14 PM

You can do the whole galaxy that way.