PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know anything about quality essay writing?

Olivia13
10-12-2018, 03:10 AM
I have got a home task to write an essay about World War II.
I am not very good in writing, though history is my favorite subject. I like the topic, but worried about putting things in the right order. Can anybody recommend where I can get good writing tips or at least Free essay samples (https://qualityessay.com/samples.html) ? I would be very grateful

Lune
10-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Open microsoft word and begin a stream of consciousness. From the time you open that document, write down every thought that enters your mind, even if it is literally just a color, images of plants, or feelings of sexual arousal. At first it might be garbled and nonsensical, but as you interface with the document and focus your chi, you will notice relevant thoughts about World War II history appearing on the page. Do this for a couple hours and then you can either turn it in as is (recommended), or filter it down so the world only hears the thoughts your frontal lobe thinks it should hear (not recommended). Your frontal lobe is like the Smedley to your limbic Brad McQuaid. It's only interested in what is kosher and what's going to keep you socially safe in ideological lockstep with your community. But Brad, Brad is innovative, fun, and sexy, and Brad is where your soul is.

Cecily
10-12-2018, 01:21 PM
My topic is point 1 point 2 point 3 and that would be good if this thing happened.

Point one support support

Point t20 suppport support

Three pointer support support

In conclusion I feel dogs are best.

Cecily
10-12-2018, 01:27 PM
Oh I responded sincerely to a bot. :(

Still that is A+ essay material K-8 anywhere in the states. You add two more points in high school and an extra one for each year in college.

loramin
10-12-2018, 01:28 PM
My topic is point 1 point 2 point 3 and that would be good if this thing happened.

Point one support support

Point t20 suppport support

Three pointer support support

In conclusion I feel dogs are best.

The "intro paragraph (say what you're arguing), point #1-#3 paragraphs (support what you're arguing), conclusion paragraph (re-state what you're arguing while summarizing your supporting points)" is always a good staple, but it only works for 1-1.5 page essays. Anything beyond that and you can still apply the same basic idea, you just start having 2-3 paragraphs per main point (or for really long essays, each point becomes its own mini essay with the same 1-3-1 structure on each page ... its just those mini essays have to all ultimately support the paper's main idea).

As for the how, I'd agree with Lune's suggestion to just spit it all out on the page to help figure out what it is you want to say ... but then I'd try to create an outline from it. This will help you find the central thing you're trying to argue and the three-ish main things which support it. Once you have that outline, you can then try to structure your stream of consciousness to fit that outline.

Cecily
10-12-2018, 01:34 PM
I’ll try the cluster bomb approach next time I need to do a 10+

ScaringChildren
10-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Do you guys know where I can find free essay samples (https://i.imgur.com/GgicvxC.jpg)? I can't find any

maskedmelon
10-12-2018, 01:35 PM
in my academic career, i learned three concepts that netted me best marks on all my papers.

1. Identify the proper amount of cow & bull for the given context.
2. Regurgitate the thoughts conveyed to you by your instructors, being careful to relate them to your chosen subject in the process.
3. Tell your reader what you plan to tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you told them.

it is also useful to employ as much ambiguity as possible without appearing incoherent. confirmation bias will ensure that your reader interprets loose language to their liking unless you have given them reason to harbor an unfavorable perception of you.

Cecily
10-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Do you guys know where I can find free essay samples (https://i.imgur.com/GgicvxC.jpg)? I can't find any

Most of the free essay samples (https://i.imgur.com/PzTXNE0.jpg) I found online were dogshit.

maskedmelon
10-12-2018, 01:39 PM
also, Lune/Lora's SoC suggestion is a good one. i usually do this in my head while staring unpleasantly at my monitor for a few hours until my brain decides it's ready to deliver the coherent thoughts I need.

Cecily
10-12-2018, 01:40 PM
Stream of consciousness is bad and probably responsible for 90% of the bullshit English teachers have to suffer through.

maskedmelon
10-12-2018, 01:42 PM
do people just turn it in liek that?

Cecily
10-12-2018, 02:00 PM
The one major reason I never pursued teaching, English specifically, is the vast feeling of pride people have about their bullshit. I’ve repeatedly overheard students bragging about “bullshitting” their way through arbitrary page lengths and no teacher isn’t going to pick up on it, they just don’t care because no one does. I’m not pursuing a career that is 90% futility.

maskedmelon
10-12-2018, 02:05 PM
hmm, well I will defer to your judgement on that. i know what has worked for me, but generally I assume i am doing it wrong even if it works, because people often look at me liek I'm an alien when I explain how/why i do what i do.

mickmoranis
10-12-2018, 02:29 PM
not to toot my own horn but i right QUALITY essays on these boards like every other day.

JurisDictum
10-12-2018, 04:17 PM
Looking back to college. There was a lot of fuzzy thinking in among English professors and students. They didn't know this because they have no ability to objectively measure anything they are doing in there.

The closest thing to an objective measure is how the class feels about certain writing in terms of how enjoyable it is....and that is obviously not at all objective.

In general, every English professor I had seemed annoyed with any kind of assertion there was objective truth. From what I can tell -- they straight think the would is subjective.

Conservative students are common in English.

I think English professors actually have some qualifications on determining what writing is good vs what is bad...but you rarely are treated to any discussion on that. They usually want to discuss whatever (multi-cultural) material their writing samples they give you to read are on. Despite that few of them are educated in any of these subjects.

Schaduwridder
10-12-2018, 04:18 PM
This message is hidden because JurisDictum is on your ignore list.

Ahldagor
10-12-2018, 04:38 PM
you right quality essays huh

The essence of their weakness.

America
10-12-2018, 04:43 PM
not to toot my own horn but i right QUALITY essays on these boards like every other day.

LOL's forum is pop in today

Ahldagor
10-12-2018, 04:50 PM
The one major reason I never pursued teaching, English specifically, is the vast feeling of pride people have about their bullshit. I’ve repeatedly overheard students bragging about “bullshitting” their way through arbitrary page lengths and no teacher isn’t going to pick up on it, they just don’t care because no one does. I’m not pursuing a career that is 90% futility.

Rhetoric can be used to explain anything which legitimizes bullshit and the pretense of English majors. I majored in English and it's almost insufferable, but most papers are graded upon grammar and structure rather than content.

mickmoranis
10-12-2018, 04:50 PM
LOL's forum is pop in today

https://youtu.be/UX7V-rrjm_E

America
10-12-2018, 04:54 PM
https://youtu.be/UX7V-rrjm_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TKhe45jl1w

Schaduwridder
10-12-2018, 05:11 PM
who would hire a tranny teach?

Answer: No one LOL

loramin
10-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Rhetoric can be used to explain anything which legitimizes bullshit and the pretense of English majors. I majored in English and it's almost insufferable, but most papers are graded upon grammar and structure rather than content.

Dude, you went to a terrible college (or at least a college with a terrible English department)!

I too was an English (well Literature, same diff) major and my professors were nothing like that.

Patriam1066
10-12-2018, 05:39 PM
Dude, you went to a terrible college (or at least a college with a terrible English department)!

I too was an English (well Literature, same diff) major and my professors were nothing like that.

I went to rice and my professors graded papers based on our ability to prove our argument as opposed to the content of the argument. Ahl describes rhetoric. You’re describing bias, unless I’m misunderstanding. A paper should not be graded on the position taken by the author unless it’s absurd. I wrote that Heart of Darkness was Conrad being racist against Europeans since why else would Kurtz be German, French, English, and Belgian? I’m sure no one like reading a young Patriam’s bull shit take on a British classic, but it was well written and so the grade reflected it

Ahldagor
10-12-2018, 05:42 PM

University of Houston for me. You? I had a litersture concentration as well. Even had a professor, David Mikics, ask to be told something new about Hamlet. I lol'd in class that day.

mickmoranis
10-12-2018, 07:49 PM
What kind of loser goes to college to major in English

jesus I bet you suck at life and make jack shit

both the libtards lol

loramin
10-12-2018, 08:00 PM
What kind of loser goes to college to major in English

jesus I bet you suck at life and make jack shit

I made six figures, before I decided to take time off and teach an online class.

mickmoranis
10-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Just a reminder I have written some seriously publishable works on the boards.

loramin
10-13-2018, 03:02 PM
I went to rice and my professors graded papers based on our ability to prove our argument as opposed to the content of the argument. Ahl describes rhetoric. You’re describing bias, unless I’m misunderstanding. A paper should not be graded on the position taken by the author unless it’s absurd. I wrote that Heart of Darkness was Conrad being racist against Europeans since why else would Kurtz be German, French, English, and Belgian? I’m sure no one like reading a young Patriam’s bull shit take on a British classic, but it was well written and so the grade reflected it

Oh I totally agree (well, except about Heart of Darkness being racist; it was definitely anti-European, but I don't think "racist" is accurate). But I was referring to the part about:

but most papers are graded upon grammar and structure rather than content.

That's not rhetoric, that's grammar/structure. If you're in a college course and you're being graded on grammar, that is not a good course (or you're bad at English and shouldn't be in a college-level English/Literature course).

University of Houston for me. You? I had a litersture concentration as well. Even had a professor, David Mikics, ask to be told something new about Hamlet. I lol'd in class that day.

University of California, Santa Cruz. On the Hamlet thing, I think it's the same with a lot of Shakespeare (and classics in general). I took a class on Postcolonial Literature that looked at the Tempest, and at the start I felt the same way: what could there possibly be new to say about The Tempest?

But when you start looking at it from a postcolonial angle you realize that all those people commenting on The Tempest for hundreds of years all looked at it the same way. None of them ever thought about how Caliban and Ariel represented the good/bad native being conquered by the European Prospero.

When you look at stuff from a different angle, even stuff like Shakespeare that has been analyzed to death, it's possible to find new things to say about it.

Ahldagor
10-13-2018, 03:15 PM
Oh I totally agree (well, except about Heart of Darkness being racist; it was definitely anti-European, but I don't think "racist" is accurate). But I was referring to the part about:

That's not rhetoric, that's grammar/structure. If you're in a college course and you're being graded on grammar, that is not a good course (or you're bad at English and shouldn't be in a college-level English/Literature course).

University of California, Santa Cruz. On the Hamlet thing, I think it's the same with a lot of Shakespeare (and classics in general). I took a class on Postcolonial Literature that looked at the Tempest, and at the start I felt the same way: what could there possibly be new to say about The Tempest?

But when you start looking at it from a postcolonial angle you realize that all those people commenting on The Tempest for hundreds of years all looked at it the same way. None of them ever thought about how Caliban and Ariel represented the good/bad native being conquered by the European Prospero.

When you look at stuff from a different angle, even stuff like Shakespeare that has been analyzed to death, it's possible to find new things to say about it.

Nice. I get tht about the criticism lens. I just got jaded by students and professors being die hards about that was the only way to look at it. The grammar structure thing was the primary grading point since that's the bedrock aspect and UH was, at the time, transitioning into a research institute for state funding. It might not be that way now. What saved my ass in that Shakespeare class was the one on one interview where I tied all my essays together with the trust that the characters had between each other and how that pattern played out through each play.

loramin
10-13-2018, 03:35 PM
What saved my ass in that Shakespeare class was the one on one interview where I tied all my essays together with the trust that the characters had between each other and how that pattern played out through each play.

"How that pattern played out":

https://i.imgur.com/JwPxXTe.gif

Ahldagor
10-13-2018, 04:14 PM
"How that pattern played out":

https://i.imgur.com/JwPxXTe.gif

Exactly, lol.