PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions: class preference to each race

Topgunben
09-20-2018, 02:52 AM
I am curious what you guys think about which class is the most quintessential for each race. I hate to use big words like the aforementioned, but there isn't a better one. This doesn't have to be min/max, just tell me what combinations you think fit best together.

Here's my list

Barbarian = shaman
Dwarf = cleric
Dark elf = necromancer
Erudite = wizard
Gnome = magician
Halfling = rogue
Half elf = bard
High elf = enchanter
Iksar = monk
Human = Paladin/ranger
Ogre = warrior
Troll = Shadow knight
Wood elf = druid

Swish2
09-20-2018, 03:09 AM
Barbarian = rogue
Dwarf = cleric
Dark elf = enchanter
Erudite = wizard
Gnome = wouldn't roll one, all useless
Halfling = druid
Half elf = bard
High elf = paladin
Iksar = necromancer
Human = SK
Ogre = warrior
Troll = SK
Wood elf = ranger

Hibbs
09-20-2018, 03:20 AM
Barbarian = Warrior
Dwarf = Warrior
Dark elf = Cleric
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = Rogue
Halfling = Druid
Half elf = Bard
High elf = Enchanter
Iksar = Monk
Human = Ranger
Ogre = Shaman
Troll = Shadow knight
Wood elf = Druid

ScaringChildren
09-20-2018, 06:14 AM
Dwarf.

If a Dwarf cannot be a class, do not play that class.

zodium
09-20-2018, 06:32 AM
Dwarf.

If a Dwarf cannot be a class, do not play that class.

This, except Halfling. How do people even play inferior races without innate Sneak/Hide?

I guess Rogues are the exception, but they can get illusion masks for basically every race except the Master Race, so it's still wisest to roll Halfling there.

Borak
09-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Half elf = bard

At first glance this bothered me, because bards are jack of all trades, and if you're going to pick a race to properly represent the jack of all trades, that would be human.

However, we're looking at the arrow going the other way. Assuming the race choice has been made, in this case half-elf, what would be the proper class? Given the mongrel status of half-elves, it may as well be the mongrel of all classes, bard. Thus your original entry is correct!

Crawdad
09-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Barbarian: Rogue
Wood elf: Ranger
Dwarf: Paladin
Erudite: Cleric
Gnome: Wizard
Halfling: Druid
Half elf: Bard
High elf: Enchanter
Iksar: Shaman
Human Iksar: Monk
Ogre Iksar: Warrior
Troll Iksar: Shadow knight
Dark elf Iksar: Necromancer

mumpz
09-20-2018, 12:46 PM
just play whatever you want, man

EpicAdventure
09-20-2018, 12:54 PM
allow me to dispel the discussion here as there is only one valid answer:

Ogre.

Class is of little concern

Foxplay
09-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Ogre - Warrior
Troll - Shadow knight
Barbarian - Shaman
Iksar - Monk
Dwarf - Cleric
Halfling - Rogue
Gnome - Magician
Human - Paladin
Half elf - Rogue
Wood Elf - Druid
High Elf - Enchanter
Dark Elf - Necromancer
Erudite - Wizard

loramin
09-20-2018, 01:42 PM
Barbarian = shaman
Dwarf = rogue
Dark elf = wizard
Erudite = enchanter
Gnome = magician
Halfling = druid (and cleric)
Half elf = bard
High elf = paladin
Iksar = monk and necromancer
Human = None, humans are teribad (but if I have to, cleric)
Ogre = shadow knight
Troll = ogre
Wood elf = ranger

The above is literally my alt list, and I even have a spreadsheet in Google Sheets where I plotted out various permutations of the above (I might need professional help).

If I were doing it all over though I'd probably change most of that up though.

Muggens
09-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Combos of race/class I personally like/find in tune:

Barbarian = shaman / warrior
Dwarf = cleric / warrior
Dark elf = wizard / rogue
Erudite = wizard / paladin
Gnome = magician / necromancer
Halfling = druid / rogue
Half elf = bard / ranger
High elf = paladin / enchanter
Iksar = monk / necromancer
Human = rogue / cleric / monk
Ogre = shadow knight / shaman / warrior
Troll = shaman / warrior
Wood elf = ranger / druid

Zuranthium
09-20-2018, 11:06 PM
Here's my list

Barbarian = Shaman
Dwarf = Cleric
Dark Elf = Necromancer
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = Magician
Halfling = Rogue
Half-Elf = Bard
High Elf = Enchanter
Iksar = Monk
Human = Paladin/Ranger
Ogre = Warrior
Troll = Shadow Knight
Wood Elf = Druid

I did a thread like this many years ago and this is exactly how I feel as well. Dwarf Cleric is the one that ends up feeling most incorrect, that race is definitely more melee based, but Human ultimately feels like a better choice for Paladin (I don't first think of short people when that class comes to mind in a traditional RPG sense), so Dwarves are basically just left with Cleric in this fun little theoretical.

HOWEVER, if you add in "Berserker" as a class choice, then you can give that to Ogres and give Warrior to Dwarves, which makes everything feel great. Oh, and then also shove Clerics into the Human category. That vanilla class deserves such a vanilla race.

tsuchang
09-20-2018, 11:40 PM
Human monk
Iksar necro
Dark Elf rogue
Troll Shaman
That's it.
I've played all the classes and races and these do it for me.
OH, and if I had to make an enchanter it would be a high elf, cuz I could change his looks and not have to see that smug prig.

Topgunben
09-21-2018, 01:02 AM
I did a thread like this many years ago and this is exactly how I feel as well. Dwarf Cleric is the one that ends up feeling most incorrect, that race is definitely more melee based, but Human ultimately feels like a better choice for Paladin (I don't first think of short people when that class comes to mind in a traditional RPG sense), so Dwarves are basically just left with Cleric in this fun little theoretical.

HOWEVER, if you add in "Berserker" as a class choice, then you can give that to Ogres and give Warrior to Dwarves, which makes everything feel great. Oh, and then also shove Clerics into the Human category. That vanilla class deserves such a vanilla race.

i agree with you on dwarf cleric. i was trying to limit myself to one class per race with no duplicates. ive always wanted to level a dwarf paladin.

Swish2
09-21-2018, 01:38 AM
ive always wanted to level a dwarf paladin.

There's definitely not enough, and to barrel roll with a flaming sword is a special thing.

Bummey
09-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Warrior assling
Rogue assling
Ranger ----
Monk ----

Bard ----
Shadow Knight ----
Paladin ----

Cleric assling
Druid assling
Shaman -- N/A

Magician gnome
Enchanter gnome
Necromancer gnome
Wizard gnome

Baler
09-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Barbarian = Warrior
Dwarf = Warrior
Dark elf = Cleric
Erudite = Cleric
Gnome = Cleric
Halfling = Cleric
Half elf = Bard
High elf = Cleric
Iksar = Monk/Necro
Human = Cleric
Ogre = Warrior
Troll = Warrior
Wood elf = Warrior

Ella`Ella
09-21-2018, 12:41 PM
If it can't be a dark elf, it's not worth playing.

Zuranthium
09-21-2018, 06:46 PM
In the other direction, what I would personally pick from Min/Max perspective for each class. In some cases race doesn't really matter though and it's just personal preference:

Bard = Half-Elf (weird how this race has the highest Dexterity, but okay!)

Cleric = Halfling (I've never understood why this isn't an ultra common choice for the class; sneak and hide is so good for Cleric, the stats are good, and even an exp bonus)

Druid = Wood Elf if I know Velious will be on the server, because they get a couple clickies there, otherwise Halfling.

Enchanter = High Elf for PvE server because max Charisma, Dark Elf for PvP server because Hide can randomly be useful and actually that 5 extra STR can be relevant for encumberment.

Magician = Gnome (tiny people summoning big pets is by far the coolest, but actually the small size can be a real benefit for PvP) or Dark Elf (having Hide as a skill is more useful for other classes, but it's still something that might randomly be useful)

Monk = Iksar (duh)

Necromancer = Iksar (Dark Elves look the coolest but sadly that's not enough under this consideration criteria; I wish Dark Elf Necromancers got some kind of special item that mattered)

Paladin = Dwarf (easily the best stats available)

Ranger = Wood Elf or Half-Elf, the latter is very slightly better for pure DPS stats, but -20 Wisdom can matter, so there's an argument either way. You could also say Human has perfectly competitive stats with those races too, but I think the lack of Infravision takes them down a notch for classic Everquest.

Rogue = Barbarian is highest STR which is stupidly the most important stat for the class and they also get Slam, so they are clearly the best for straightforward combat. However, there is again that consideration of lacking Infravision. Dwarves have the best stats for an Infravision race and for PvP small size can matter too, to the point that Halfling or even Gnome for the tiniest size possible can be a serious argument here.

Shaman = Ogre, or Troll, or Iksar. Frontal stun immunity can be a big deal, but the races with health regen have an obvious advantage as well. I suppose you could possibly say Barbarian has the consideration of lowest exp penalty and can use JBB while being smaller size in comparison to Ogre/Troll, but realistically they are just the weakest choice (which makes me sad, that was my first character ever!)

Shadow Knight = Troll or Ogre, with Iksar a considerion for Velious era. Again it's just what you value more between frontal stun immunity or regen, and then Iksar get a consideration for Velious era because of being able to eventually get the highest AC there.

Warrior = Ogre or Halfling, the former is best purely for combat, but sneak and hide on this class (plus the exp bonus if you care about saving time leveling) is a real consideration, as is the small size for PvP. Iksar for Velious era is a consideration too, since they eventually get the highest AC and regen is always nice.

Wizard = I think Dark Elf is best because Nektulos gate staff saves you mana for doing vendor stuff and Hide can be handy, although Erudite having slightly higher INT is an argument (that lack of Infravision tho...), and for PvP server Gnome is very much a consideration because of tiniest size.

So overall giving each race 1 point where they are my sole top pick for a class, .5 points for being listed as a strong choice, and .25 points for Iksar mentions within Velious-specific era, here is how each race is rated:

3.0 points = Iksar
2.5 points = Halfling
1.5 points = Ogre, Gnome, Dark Elf, Dwarf, Half-Elf
1 point = Troll, Wood Elf
.5 points = Barbarian, High Elf, Erudite
0 points = Human

The classes aren't balanced and race choice matters more for some classes than others, so this isn't a strictly accurate take on the power level of each race, but still pretty fun to think about!

Issar
09-21-2018, 10:25 PM
This is something that has been on my mind lately. I'm currently working on building my 3D art profile, which is emphasizing character art. I decided to do a project that I call "EQ Redeux" as I'm going to be recreating some of what I consider the iconic race/class combos from EQ (some decisions are more of a design choice for diversity). Any way, this is what I have laid out currently.

Bard / Half Elf
Cleric / Half Elf / Female (praise Lolth!)
Druid / Halfling
Enchanter / High Elf
Magician / Gnome
Monk / Human
Necro / Iksar
Paladin / Dwarf
Ranger / Wood Elf
SK / Ogre or Troll
Shaman / Barbarian
Warrior / Ogre or Troll
Wizard / Erudite

I was able to start a few weeks ago and haven't gotten too far due to work and family, but here are a few pics of where I'm at with my first toon, which is DE cleric. Her skin has a long ways to go still, and will lighten up as I go. I have some armor made, but I'm not ready to setup render shots.

Head shot (https://imgur.com/rjJstib)
Front (https://imgur.com/NJoxf7S)
Back (https://imgur.com/T94llXJ)

I'll create a post when I finish her, and the others. So if anyone has any interest they can check them out.

Jauna
09-21-2018, 10:48 PM
ogre - melee
troll - shaman
i got bored typing this

SunDrake
09-21-2018, 11:50 PM
Barbarian = Shaman
Dwarf = Cleric
Dark Elf = Necromancer
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = Magician
Halfling = Rogue
Half Elf = Bard
High Elf = Enchanter
Iksar = Monk
Human = Monk
Ogre = Warrior
Troll = Shadow Knight
Wood Elf = Druid

Aalderon Crystafire
09-21-2018, 11:56 PM
I guess Rogues are the exception, but they can get illusion masks for basically every race except the Master Race, so it's still wisest to roll Halfling there.

Next patch for that mask. Halfling Bards, too.

Evia
09-22-2018, 08:09 AM
barbarian = warrior
Dwarf = Paladin
Dark elf = Necromancer
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = Rogue
Halfling = Rogue
Half elf = Bard
High elf = Enchanter
Iksar = Monk
Human = Cleric
Ogre = Shaman
Troll = Shadow Knight
Wood elf = Druid

Nixtar
09-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Iksar = MASTER RACE FOR EVERYTHING <3
Barb = Shaman (fashionquest)
Dwarf = Rogue (barrel rolling backstab)
Dark Elf = Necromancer (OG necros, after all)
Erudite = Wizard (UNLIMITED POWERRRRR!!!!!!!)
Gnome = Necromancer (walking talking balls of pus and boils)
Halfling = Just nope, nope nope. NOPE.
Half Elf = Bard (outcast and traveller types)
High Elf = Paladin (haughty better than thou-attitude and cool Tunare loots)
Human = Druid (just cooler than everyone else)
Ogre = meh
Troll = meh again
Wood elf = lol

Jauna
09-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Next patch for that mask. Halfling Bards, too.

Good luck with that spawn and drop rate man, i spent about a week camping that thing on live with my bard and still didnt get it

Aalderon Crystafire
09-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Good luck with that spawn and drop rate man, i spent about a week camping that thing on live with my bard and still didnt get it

That sucks. I did some tests not long ago on live/test server and was able to get one after 15 kills with the mob spawning about 1/4 of the time.

loramin
09-22-2018, 03:07 PM
In the other direction, what I would personally pick from Min/Max perspective for each class. In some cases race doesn't really matter though and it's just personal preference:

Cleric = Halfling (I've never understood why this isn't an ultra common choice for the class; sneak and hide is so good for Cleric, the stats are good, and even an exp bonus)

Druid = Wood Elf if I know Velious will be on the server, because they get a couple clickies there, otherwise Halfling.

Enchanter = High Elf for PvE server because max Charisma, Dark Elf for PvP server because Hide can randomly be useful and actually that 5 extra STR can be relevant for encumberment.

Magician = Gnome (tiny people summoning big pets is by far the coolest, but actually the small size can be a real benefit for PvP) or Dark Elf (having Hide as a skill is more useful for other classes, but it's still something that might randomly be useful)

Monk = Iksar (duh)

Necromancer = Iksar (Dark Elves look the coolest but sadly that's not enough under this consideration criteria; I wish Dark Elf Necromancers got some kind of special item that mattered)

Ranger = Wood Elf or Half-Elf, the latter is very slightly better for pure DPS stats, but -20 Wisdom can matter, so there's an argument either way. You could also say Human has perfectly competitive stats with those races too, but I think the lack of Infravision takes them down a notch for classic Everquest.

Rogue = Barbarian is highest STR which is stupidly the most important stat for the class and they also get Slam, so they are clearly the best for straightforward combat. However, there is again that consideration of lacking Infravision. Dwarves have the best stats for an Infravision race and for PvP small size can matter too, to the point that Halfling or even Gnome for the tiniest size possible can be a serious argument here.

Shaman = Ogre, or Troll, or Iksar. Frontal stun immunity can be a big deal, but the races with health regen have an obvious advantage as well. I suppose you could possibly say Barbarian has the consideration of lowest exp penalty and can use JBB while being smaller size in comparison to Ogre/Troll, but realistically they are just the weakest choice (which makes me sad, that was my first character ever!)

Shadow Knight = Troll or Ogre, with Iksar a considerion for Velious era. Again it's just what you value more between frontal stun immunity or regen, and then Iksar get a consideration for Velious era because of being able to eventually get the highest AC there.

Warrior = Ogre or Halfling, the former is best purely for combat, but sneak and hide on this class (plus the exp bonus if you care about saving time leveling) is a real consideration, as is the small size for PvP. Iksar for Velious era is a consideration too, since they eventually get the highest AC and regen is always nice.

Wizard = I think Dark Elf is best because Nektulos gate staff saves you mana for doing vendor stuff and Hide can be handy, although Erudite having slightly higher INT is an argument (that lack of Infravision tho...), and for PvP server Gnome is very much a consideration because of tiniest size.

So overall giving each race 1 point where they are my sole top pick for a class, .5 points for being listed as a strong choice, and .25 points for Iksar mentions within Velious-specific era, here is how each race is rated:

3.0 points = Iksar
2.5 points = Halfling
0 points = Human

The classes aren't balanced and race choice matters more for some classes than others, so this isn't a strictly accurate take on the power level of each race, but still pretty fun to think about!

I thought that was a fantastic breakdown, and I 100% agree on Halfling Clerics, but ... infravision? On P99 with the Titanium client?

Sonderbeast
09-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Shaman - Iksar
Necromancer - Iksar
Monk - Iksar
Shadow Knight - Iksar
Warrior - Iksar

enjchanter
09-22-2018, 04:12 PM

Maybe I was really lucky but I went after it once and got it in one respawn lol

Obeast44
09-22-2018, 04:22 PM

Monk = Iksar (duh)

3.0 points = Iksar
2.5 points = Halfling
0 points = Human

Don't forget Troll Shamans (innoruuk god) get a clicky snare neck. If you don't know how useful that is....
Iksars can't use JBB. So they are literally bottom of the barrel next to barbarians.

Topgunben
09-23-2018, 12:59 AM
This is something that has been on my mind lately. I'm currently working on building my 3D art profile, which is emphasizing character art. I decided to do a project that I call "EQ Redeux" as I'm going to be recreating some of what I consider the iconic race/class combos from EQ (some decisions are more of a design choice for diversity). Any way, this is what I have laid out currently.

Bard / Half Elf
Cleric / Half Elf / Female (praise Lolth!)
Druid / Halfling
Enchanter / High Elf
Magician / Gnome
Monk / Human
Necro / Iksar
Paladin / Dwarf
Ranger / Wood Elf
SK / Ogre or Troll
Shaman / Barbarian
Warrior / Ogre or Troll
Wizard / Erudite

I was able to start a few weeks ago and haven't gotten too far due to work and family, but here are a few pics of where I'm at with my first toon, which is DE cleric. Her skin has a long ways to go still, and will lighten up as I go. I have some armor made, but I'm not ready to setup render shots.

Head shot (https://imgur.com/rjJstib)
Front (https://imgur.com/NJoxf7S)
Back (https://imgur.com/T94llXJ)

I'll create a post when I finish her, and the others. So if anyone has any interest they can check them out.

Hey Issar,

This thread was inspired by the original eq artwork. A always tried to guess what class went with each race. Some seem easy, others aren't so obvious. I've also yet to see a giant goblin

Zuranthium
09-23-2018, 02:13 AM
Iksars can't use JBB. So they are literally bottom of the barrel next to barbarians.

JBB is largely irrelevant for end game Shaman, especially in Velious era. You want to be spending your time in combat doing other things than a long cast, relatively low damage clicky.

Shanst
09-23-2018, 02:56 AM
Halfling. If the class cant be halfling it isnt worth playing. No one else could carry the one ring. Just sayin.

Issar
09-23-2018, 03:13 AM
Halfling. If the class cant be halfling it isnt worth playing. No one else could carry the one ring. Just sayin.

The Legolas and Frodo models didn't come out until Luclin, which isn't classic. As a result your argument is invalid.

Issar
09-23-2018, 03:23 AM
Hey Issar,

This thread was inspired by the original eq artwork. A always tried to guess what class went with each race. Some seem easy, others aren't so obvious. I've also yet to see a giant goblin

Yeah, I totally did that too. Keith Parkinson was an amazing artist and really put together some great pieces for EQ. He created the original box art way before the game was complete, so I'm guessing the descriptions that McQuaid and team provided were pretty lose at the time. I always figured that the two giants were actually representative of an ogre and a troll, corresponding with the Dark Elf necro that's featured in the middle. That would be them attempting to represent the light and dark factions in the game, but I could be way off.

In any event, if you enjoy the box art I would recommend checking out Keith Parkinson's work. My favorite non-EQ piece that he did is called North Watch.

Jorgam
09-23-2018, 03:37 AM
Gonna take a swing at this! List is not optimal if you must use all races, and it doesn't per say match my own choices that I've made for toons, but here it is.

Barbarian = rogue / shaman
Dwarf = paladin / cleric
Dark elf = cleric / necromancer
Erudite = enchanter / cleric
Gnome = magician / enchanter
Halfling = druid / rogue
Half elf = bard / ranger
High elf = wizard / paladin
Iksar = necromancer / monk
Human = shadow knight / bard
Ogre = warrior / shaman
Troll = shaman / warrior
Wood elf = ranger / druid

Briq
09-23-2018, 08:16 AM
Barbarian - Shaman/Warrior
Dwarf - Cleric/Warrior
Dark elf - Necromancer/Shadow Knight
Erudite - Magician/Wizard
Gnome - Wizard/Enchanter
Halfling - Druid/Cleric
Half elf - Ranger/Paladin
High elf - Enchanter/Paladin
Iksar - Monk/Shaman
Human - Monk
Ogre - Warrior/Shadow Knight
Troll - Shadow Knight/Shaman
Wood Elf - Druid/Bard

Bummey
09-24-2018, 02:46 AM
Halfling. If the class cant be halfling it isnt worth playing.

This one knows what's up

loramin
09-24-2018, 11:06 AM
JBB is largely irrelevant for end game Shaman, especially in Velious era. You want to be spending your time in combat doing other things than a long cast, relatively low damage clicky.

First of all, there's a lot more to this game than just the end-game, and second even as a level 60 Shaman with Torpor I still use my JBB all the time. Certainly less so when I'm in Velious, but even then it's useful in some fights (not everything on the continent has insane cold resist), and it's still really useful in classic and Kunark zones (eg. when I'm soloing NG in Sebilis).

JBB is basically the best melee weapon a Shaman can get, and thus is useful anytime you're face tanking a mob that isn't super cold resistant. No melee weapon (that I know of) can do more damage with the extra hit or two it would get in during a JBB cast, than the JBB cast itself can do.

Zuranthium
09-24-2018, 02:39 PM
It's better to use a brawl stick and cannibalize inbetween swings or medidate-canni dance if not in melee. Even besides that, there many long-cast spells you need to be doing anyway as a Shaman. You don't have that much time to use JBB. MOBs don't need "super cold resist" to bring down the damage against JBB either, just a regular resist rate on typical content a 60 Shaman would be trying to solo or single group is enough to significantly cut into the damage.

Even if the JBB might end up being marginally better than spending your time on cannibalize + melee/meditate, remember that Iksar have innate AC bonus, which means they are mitigating more damage than a Troll when face tanking. Trolls also get slam, but on the whole I would rate AC bonus as stronger. So then the only factor remaining is the snare clicky Trolls get, which isn't that great IMO. It's a 6 second cast for a low duration, low percentage snare. Not something that can be relied upon or used too efficiently.

Nixtar
09-24-2018, 02:49 PM
It really doesn't matter much. Either you use the JBB to its strengths or if you are ikky you enjoy AC/regen and should maximise that aspect instead.

ScottBerta
09-24-2018, 03:23 PM
The question should be which race is best for each class... and then we would see a lot of these races not on the list at all. For example, there are a lot of barb shamans on this list... which in fact is actually the worst race for shaman but because Iksar, Troll, and Ogre have already been given some other class Barb is left for shaman.

Topgunben
09-24-2018, 04:26 PM
The question should be which race is best for each class... and then we would see a lot of these races not on the list at all. For example, there are a lot of barb shamans on this list... which in fact is actually the worst race for shaman but because Iksar, Troll, and Ogre have already been given some other class Barb is left for shaman.

No, I didn't want it to end up like that because i wanted it to be 1 race 1 class. The reason why people chose barb for shaman isn't because of what you said but because they were very popular pre Kunark race class combo and they have a wolf helm

Crawdad
09-24-2018, 04:28 PM
The question should be which race is best for each class....

Shaniril
09-25-2018, 03:03 PM
Barbarian = Shaman
Dwarf = Cleric
Dark elf = Shadowknight
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = magician
Halfling = druid
Half elf = bard
High elf = Enchanter
Iksar = monk
Human = Paladin
Ogre = warrior
Troll = shaman
Wood elf = Bard

Baler
09-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Human is probably the worst race min/max wise, correct?

Topgunben
09-27-2018, 12:40 AM
outside of spells, do SK and Paladin melee and mitigate damage the same?

thank you for all your responses BTW. this has been extremely helpful

loramin
09-27-2018, 01:01 PM

Or maybe half-elf. Never done stat crunching for either but neither has any redeemable qualities besides stats, and I suspect they're both the worst race for at least one class stat-wise.

It's better to use a brawl stick and cannibalize inbetween swings or medidate-canni dance if not in melee. Even besides that, there many long-cast spells you need to be doing anyway as a Shaman. You don't have that much time to use JBB.

You're not wrong that even in melee I cann/Torpor a lot to recover mana. But take a camp like NG. When I'm killing the scarabs, I want them dead as quickly as possible, so I can get new scarabs and more gems faster.

If I cann/torpor in combat for mana I don't need that just slows my scarab-killing down, whereas if I use my JBB that speeds it up. After the fight, when there are no more scarabs to kill, I can cann/torpor or med all I want.

When fighting something harder I may well need more mana to cast more Torpors to keep myself alive, and then I can't take advantage of the JBB to speed things up as much. Or, again, if the mobs have high cold resist. I freely admit that it's circumstantial, but for some fights the JBB is absolutely still useful at 60.

Quizlop
09-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Or maybe half-elf. Never done stat crunching for either but neither has any redeemable qualities besides stats, and I suspect they're both the worst race for at least one class stat-wise.

Humans have the best starting stats for Rangers and maybe Bards. Human Clerics of Inny have pretty good access to special clickies, and can wear robes. They're pretty much the worst race for any Int caster, and I guess they're the worst Monks because there's only one other option. Other than that, they're pretty average for every other class.

Half elves are the worst Druids, because their Wisdom is just abysmal. Their stats aren't particularly exciting for most classes, Bards excepted. However, they do have access to the +20 MR HEF only mask from Inny, awesome for anyone.

Ghostly
09-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Goblin Rogue

Cen
11-07-2018, 01:00 AM
Humans and Half-Elves are strongest when mixed with classes that add skills to races that don't come with skills, just as adding races that come with skills to skillless classes is useful. In that consideration, Humans make great Rangers and Bards especially, since the other races don't give them anything extra. They are almost perfect as a rogue, but barbarians add a bash and wood elves a 50 forage that rogues wouldn't otherwise have. Humans also are a robe race, which is nice for rare endgame fashion. Some clickies get ruined by some selections, such as picking a Dark Elf rogue you lose out on a guise, since you could have went Dark Elf mode anyway.

I actually think Humans are the best Ranger race and bard race specifically.

Tethler
11-07-2018, 03:32 AM
The 2 playable races are Iksar and Dark elf.

Iksar: Shaman/Monk

Dark elf: everything else

If your class can't be one of these (or illusion to one of these) it's not worth playing.

Lionsfan616
11-07-2018, 10:12 PM
It's difficult for me to understand why anyone would roll a human monk. No regen or extra AC, lol no thanks. Humans can get to 60 faster in groups I guess, but iksars can solo to 60. Humans have a terrible kick animation and FD on iksars are hilarious and very dramatic, easily the greatest. Sometimes I just sit in EC tunnel and FD for hours because of how cool they look doing it, I think it makes the humans jealous. Lastly, everyone knows iksars win fashion quest, what do humans have? An eye patch? Gross.

Crede
11-08-2018, 11:52 AM
It's difficult for me to understand why anyone would roll a human monk. No regen or extra AC, lol no thanks. Humans can get to 60 faster in groups I guess, but iksars can solo to 60. Humans have a terrible kick animation and FD on iksars are hilarious and very dramatic, easily the greatest. Sometimes I just sit in EC tunnel and FD for hours because of how cool they look doing it, I think it makes the humans jealous. Lastly, everyone knows iksars win fashion quest, what do humans have? An eye patch? Gross.

Min/max races are most overrated thing on this server. Nobody really cares if you're an iksar/human. Play what you like staring at the most IMO.

Bardp1999
11-08-2018, 02:11 PM
Human monks are the superior monk due to fashion quest. Sorry you rolled lizard.

Solo arguments on P99 are meaningless to me because if you are playing EQ solo you are playing EQ wrong (duo/trio 4tw)

Xaeophi
11-08-2018, 02:52 PM
I think humans are ugly and more times then not the player on the other side of the screen share some of the same characteristics as their avatar in game. Weak, Slimy, and mediocre

The 2 playable races are Iksar and Dark elf.

Iksar: Shaman/Monk

Dark elf: everything else

If your class can't be one of these (or illusion to one of these) it's not worth playing.

This guy speaks the truth.

elwing
11-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Human: sk
Erudite: sk
Troll: sk
Ogre: sk
Barbarian: no good classes, avoid
Dark elf: sk
Halfling: no good class, avoid
Dwarf: no good class, avoid
Gnomes: no good class on p99 timeline, avoid on p99
High elf: avoid
Wood elf: avoid
Half elf: avoid
Iksar: sk

Easy

Synthlol
11-09-2018, 07:23 PM
I am curious what you guys think about which class is the most quintessential for each race. I hate to use big words like the aforementioned, but there isn't a better one. This doesn't have to be min/max, just tell me what combinations you think fit best together.

Here's my list

Barbarian = shaman
Dwarf = cleric
Dark elf = necromancer
Erudite = wizard
Gnome = magician
Halfling = rogue
Half elf = bard
High elf = enchanter
Iksar = monk
Human = Paladin/ranger
Ogre = warrior
Troll = Shadow knight
Wood elf = druid

Hey, this is really good! You only made a few mistakes.

Human = Bard
Half Elf = Ranger
Dwarf = Paladin

beargryllz
11-09-2018, 09:47 PM
Barbarian = Warrior
Dwarf = Warrior
Dark elf = Shadow Knight
Erudite = Wizard
Gnome = Mage
Halfling = Rogue
Half elf = Bard