PDA

View Full Version : What would your speed run strat look like?

jm7192
08-17-2018, 06:18 AM
So I've been doing a lot of speed run watching lately. All this has got me thinking about Everquest. A speed run of this game would be absolutely insane in time, scope, luck and would stress just about every single measure of the player's game knowledge and ability.

But for the sake of fantasy, let's say some one was crazy enough to do it. What would that even look like? Would it be simply 1-60 in the fastest way possible? Could you utilize the player market? Would it incorporate permadeath? Obviously game breaking bugs would likely not be encouraged or allowed.

If I were to go about it, I think there are two main runs I would make: 0-60 fastest possible SOLO (no player items, aid or group) or 0-60 fastest possible player-with-players (PwP) with grouping, aid and player market available.

The most sane version would be PwP and with that I would make a halfling warrior for the +14.5% xp bonus. A run might look like this:

1-8: Misty Thicket - attack spiders, skeletons and wolves for pelts, silks and bone chips for selling later. Get enough money to purchase or make Leather Armor.
8-12: EC - Orc Groups, Spiders for silks to sell, keep an eye out on a magic weapon for 10-50pp to attack wisps. Use buffs to brush past the levels.
12-20: Befallen - Fun and consistent zone with blazing fast xp even when the mobs turn light blue. Collect what you can and sell it all. By now, there's probably 80-100pp in the bank, use it to buy banded.
20-30: Upper Guk - Just a hair under Befallen for zone xp modifier and with a chance of dropping some items that I can use or sell.
30-35 Highkeep: Collect the ears, use for the turn in and sell 1/4 of them for a weapon upgrade if possible.
35-40 SolA: Money and great zone modifier.
40-50 CoM: Suffer through it and get what you can
50-60 Karnor's/Lower Guk: At this point using whatever money I can to keep the warrior afloat as a tank. Item drops in Lower Guk would be beneficial to sell or use and the ZEM is quite nice but it can sometimes be hard to find reliable grouping. Perhaps use a guild to get things moving.

Assuming no job and reasonable luck with groups, transport, aid along with real life needs like sleeping and eating, I think it can be done in a month or less. You'd be a shriveled up shell of what you used to be, but it would very well be the first recorded speed run of Everquest P1999 to exist and you'd be record holder almost no matter what you do.

What do you think? What would your speed run look like?

jarlerop
08-17-2018, 06:23 AM
Mine would be playing a wizard with white dragon tooth in OT from 1-30ish, then bard PL until i could AOE chardok the last bit :D

Salaryman
08-17-2018, 08:08 AM
Bard.

fastboy21
08-17-2018, 08:15 AM
The question seems too flawed to me...by definition EQ isn't about doing something/somethings to "win". Its open ended, by design.

I realize that most ppl share some of the same universal goals...get to 60, get your epic, kill all the bosses...but even that is a huge assumption. The best part of EQ imo is that folks all play for different reasons.

Jan Jensen
08-17-2018, 08:20 AM
https://i.imgur.com/pqYN51p.png

snyder61
08-17-2018, 08:24 AM
The fastest path is halfling warrior with a ton of oil of fennin ro.

pijan
08-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Bard.

Bard

ScaringChildren
08-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Mine would be playing a wizard with white dragon tooth in OT from 1-30ish, then bard PL until i could AOE chardok the last bit :D

I've heard about the White Dragon Tooth.

How does it work exactly?

Canelek
08-17-2018, 10:42 AM

AOE is now limited to 25 mobs, so Chardok AOE is no longer a thing.

White Dragon Tooth is a solid option is you have the $$ and the time.

Canelek
08-17-2018, 10:44 AM
I've heard about the White Dragon Tooth.

How does it work exactly?

It summons a higher level necro pet. Basically a higher level version of a Brazier of Elemental Summoning. Hope for a good network connection! :D

Phenyo
08-17-2018, 11:05 AM

LulzSect©
08-17-2018, 11:06 AM

Ella`Ella
08-17-2018, 11:36 AM

Pringles
08-17-2018, 12:10 PM
Gnoll ears to 18 then bard kite to 60.

Doil_Boil
08-17-2018, 01:14 PM
So I've been doing a lot of speed run watching lately. All this has got me thinking about Everquest. A speed run of this game would be absolutely insane in time, scope, luck and would stress just about every single measure of the player's game knowledge and ability.

But for the sake of fantasy, let's say some one was crazy enough to do it. What would that even look like? Would it be simply 1-60 in the fastest way possible? Could you utilize the player market? Would it incorporate permadeath? Obviously game breaking bugs would likely not be encouraged or allowed.

If I were to go about it, I think there are two main runs I would make: 0-60 fastest possible SOLO (no player items, aid or group) or 0-60 fastest possible player-with-players (PwP) with grouping, aid and player market available.

The most sane version would be PwP and with that I would make a halfling warrior for the +14.5% xp bonus. A run might look like this:

1-8: Misty Thicket - attack spiders, skeletons and wolves for pelts, silks and bone chips for selling later. Get enough money to purchase or make Leather Armor.
8-12: EC - Orc Groups, Spiders for silks to sell, keep an eye out on a magic weapon for 10-50pp to attack wisps. Use buffs to brush past the levels.
12-20: Befallen - Fun and consistent zone with blazing fast xp even when the mobs turn light blue. Collect what you can and sell it all. By now, there's probably 80-100pp in the bank, use it to buy banded.
20-30: Upper Guk - Just a hair under Befallen for zone xp modifier and with a chance of dropping some items that I can use or sell.
30-35 Highkeep: Collect the ears, use for the turn in and sell 1/4 of them for a weapon upgrade if possible.
35-40 SolA: Money and great zone modifier.
40-50 CoM: Suffer through it and get what you can
50-60 Karnor's/Lower Guk: At this point using whatever money I can to keep the warrior afloat as a tank. Item drops in Lower Guk would be beneficial to sell or use and the ZEM is quite nice but it can sometimes be hard to find reliable grouping. Perhaps use a guild to get things moving.

Assuming no job and reasonable luck with groups, transport, aid along with real life needs like sleeping and eating, I think it can be done in a month or less. You'd be a shriveled up shell of what you used to be, but it would very well be the first recorded speed run of Everquest P1999 to exist and you'd be record holder almost no matter what you do.

What do you think? What would your speed run look like?

How did you come with a route that's so intensely sub-optimal, even from a solo standpoint?

bwe
08-17-2018, 01:26 PM
very carefully

Slave35
08-17-2018, 01:43 PM
How did you come with a route that's so intensely sub-optimal, even from a solo standpoint?

Like, I'm pretty sure this would be MUCH slower than AVERAGE, even.

-What a cool idea, to have an EQ speedrun!

-What an ABJECTLY stupid plan, have you literally ever leveled even one 60 before?

Murri
08-17-2018, 02:25 PM
perhaps you could turn in muffins fast enough to just barely not crash

Topgunben
08-17-2018, 02:34 PM
I've watched speedruns for games like the Fallout series and Mario. It's interesting to see someone blow through 30 hours of content in 40 minutes or less.

I imagine that if there were no rules, it might be possible to get someone to 50 in a day or less. Beyond that I'm not so sure.

I'd gladly be the guinea pig if people wanted to try this out.

Slave35
08-17-2018, 03:01 PM
I've watched speedruns for games like the Fallout series and Mario. It's interesting to see someone blow through 30 hours of content in 40 minutes or less.

I imagine that if there were no rules, it might be possible to get someone to 50 in a day or less. Beyond that I'm not so sure.

I'd gladly be the guinea pig if people wanted to try this out.

gf and I have gone 1-54 in about 50 hours a few times

Karthil
08-17-2018, 03:07 PM
If you made different objectives for speed run, you might be able to make a fun one for EQ. But the slow leveling of classic EQ (without heavily twinking or PLing) is completely antithetical to the idea of a speed run.

Kintronics
08-17-2018, 03:23 PM
Maybe necro, considering the first person to hit 60 after Kunark release was Clever, an Iksar necromancer.

jm7192
08-17-2018, 08:47 PM

Cool.

What's your idea.

jm7192
08-17-2018, 08:47 PM
If you made different objectives for speed run, you might be able to make a fun one for EQ. But the slow leveling of classic EQ (without heavily twinking or PLing) is completely antithetical to the idea of a speed run.

That's the idea.

Wonkie
08-17-2018, 09:06 PM
bards are the fastest runners

sedrie.bellamie
08-18-2018, 01:58 PM

Kushida gnome warrior in Auld Lang Syne went 1-60 super quick and had the added difficulty of only using the ALS guild economy. Your challenge is lame. Trying playing p99 without twinking, no MQs and no EC tunnel. ALS already has a better challenge system then this speed run

LulzSect©
08-18-2018, 02:11 PM
ALS already has a better challenge system then this speed run

hard mode

Tecmos Deception
08-18-2018, 04:34 PM
The question seems too flawed to me...by definition EQ isn't about doing something/somethings to "win". Its open ended, by design.

The irony is fucking palpable, man. How can you say that EQ is open ended in the same breath as saying that the OP's idea isn't something that should be done in EQ?

Muggens
08-18-2018, 05:28 PM
Would u watch it?
A speedrun of EQ...Ive been trying to convince a movie friend of mine to do it, while streaming. He cant leave the setup room untill he dings 60. Someone will supply food and party supplements to him
(His max eq char is/was 19 so he is a noob)

Tecmos Deception
08-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Would u watch it?
A speedrun of EQ...Ive been trying to convince a movie friend of mine to do it, while streaming. He cant leave the setup room untill he dings 60. Someone will supply food and party supplements to him
(His max eq char is/was 19 so he is a noob)

I can only see this ending in you being charged with attempted (or actual) murder.

skarlorn
08-18-2018, 08:08 PM
bards are the fastest runners

aaezil
08-18-2018, 10:01 PM
Before the aoe limit i saw bards exp 1-50 in a weekend during one of those +25% xp bonus times *shrug*

Anyway everquest is about the journey not the destination

silo32
08-19-2018, 12:45 AM
lvl 60 druid power lvling a bard 1-20

then use a lvl 60 bard to power you from 20-60

32 hours if your bard is a noob

silo32
08-19-2018, 12:46 AM
on red with the bonus we once power lvld a warrior to 60 in under 48 hours played