PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: PBAOE MAX 25 not classic

Brocode
07-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Changes regarding AE Spells
Recently the staff had internal discussions related to the effectiveness of various AE methods being used by players, specifically that the number of mobs being killed at once far exceeded what was possible back in the day of classic Everquest. When determining what prevented this from being possible during Classic, we found that it was not necessarily mechanical, but more technological reasons that limited it. For example, having 100 mobs in one tiny area would not have happened back then for several reasons such as PC Processing power (CPU/Video constraints), networking bandwidth requriements (56k lol), and quite possibly server limitations at the time as well.

While we do not aim to kill AE groups by any means, we do have to put some limitations on the number of mobs being killed at once, providing significant XP gain with very little risk, as well as the zone disruptions that have come with it. Therefor, we have decided to put an upper limit of 25 targets on all detrimental AE spells. This means that once 25 targets have been hit with the spell (including resists), it will no longer attempt to hit any more targets.

This affects all player vs npc detrimental Target AE and PBAE spells including Nukes, Stuns, Songs, and etc. We will continue to evalulate this to determine if any further changes are needed.

Pretty much posts from 2001 saying they would aoe

Uhh..well, what is the pullers role?

Grab as many as you can, bring them back to the group and stand STILL. Let them stack as neat as possible so that the enchanters can begin the stun chain. Once the stuns land and you get your baby heal, GO GET MORE. Ensure that all mobs brought to camp stay stacked neatly and you've done a perfect pull. With 2 enchanters, they can cast their PBAE stuns for roughly a minute while a second train is pulled, just another reason Enchanters are an integral part of the PBAE groups. The Puller should then sit back and engage/finish off any stragglers or out of range mobs.

Sebillis
Alot of people who have tried to PBAE here will have horror stories I'm sure, it's a little bit more difficult as the mix between casters/knights and the movement of the frogloks is a pain to get them to stack properly. Ensure your group knows what they're doing before attempting frogs. Loot and XP is quite good when emploring PBAE here however.

Karnors Castle
Great place to train PBAE enthusiasts. Mobs are a bit lower level so resists usually aren't an issue. With new teal con's, XP will still flow even for 60's. Recommended to either pull to VS stage room or Basement. If KC crowded, the basement is usually empty and has a ton of undead mobs.

Velketor's Labyrinth
Only camp I have AE'ed is the Pit and the entrance. The Pit is all dogs. Really easy to pull trains down there but is a chance resists could happen. Loot isn't great but the plat payout is. Spiders are really easy if enough can be found, however remind the puller to not turn his back on 10 backstabbers.

Howling Stones
A favorite of PBAE groups for a number of reasons. The place is usually empty, groups can clean all 4 wings in a night and get great loot and even better XP. Few problems that can hamper you though. Alot of the mobs Harm Touch which will kill your puller numerous times when attempting trains. As well as traps can hamper movement.

Chardok
Very fun place to AE. You will never run out of mobs to pull, can use other AE tricks (like Fearing one so it brings back 30 others) and the loot/plat/xp is also excellent. Can AE right down to royals as well if your group can handle it. Fast repops, some HT's and alot of named piled in the trains can cause messy CR's.

The Hole
Wouldn't recommend it. Golems can't be stunned and your chanters will be dead quite quickly attempting it. You'll always get a few golems in a train. Mages I hear, are great down here. They can make their own godamn PBAE groups then

Plane of Fear
This of course, would be a raid event however AE is a very easy way to clear this plane so that setup for golems or CT is nice and fast. Key to success, stacking and informing melees not to block out the PB classes. 60 chanters and wizards are also recommended.

City of Mist
Never tried it myself but I'm sure it'd be possible, just don't get Reavers in your pulls!

Droga
With the new Chardok Ring being introduced alot of level 60s now frequent this mid level dungeon and not just for the Idol of the Thorned. Getting Chardok faction is a high priority now and this is the only way to get it. Since alot of lvl 60s will have maxed -Sarnak, they will need to kill 3000+ goblins in Droga and what better way than AE! large dungeon and some Gob's HT but since a bit lower level (30s?) any puller worth their weight shouldn't have a problem with this. Give him rune and lev and should be able to pull 30 at a time with relative ease. Of course, no Xp down here if you are 60.

LGuk/SolB
This was a good place to learn how to train AE in Dungeons and I am sure they're still quite viable alternatives but I haven't returned to them to PBAE in ages so will let someone else give hints for these zones.

https://www.graffes.com/forums/showthread.php?5883-AE-Groups-for-Sorcerers&p=121614&viewfull=1&styleid=51

ps: You can still say fuck you its my server and i do whatever i want. When we get to that point, can we atleast work with Raid Zones to be able to do real aoe?

Rygar
07-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Seriously..? Sigh...

No one is doubting you could PBAoE unlimited targets, perhaps you should (politely) ask if the 25 limit can be reevaluated and changed to a higher number (perhaps 40?). Staff have their reasonings on the limit, don't beat a dead horse.

Fact is, pathing is way better on EMUs as well as connectivity, making 120+ consistent pulls too easy. Mobs would get stuck on corners or crazy path find resulting in leashing.

Hell read in some guides that a successful pull was "at least 12 mobs". A lot of your links mention 30 mobs.

Doctor Jeff
07-20-2018, 09:22 AM
This is an intentional, non-classic, difficulty change, specific to P99.

Please move this to resolved.

Brocode
07-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Seriously..? Sigh...

No one is doubting you could PBAoE unlimited targets, perhaps you should (politely) ask if the 25 limit can be reevaluated and changed to a higher number (perhaps 40?). Staff have their reasonings on the limit, don't beat a dead horse.

Fact is, pathing is way better on EMUs as well as connectivity, making 120+ consistent pulls too easy. Mobs would get stuck on corners or crazy path find resulting in leashing.

Hell read in some guides that a successful pull was "at least 12 mobs". A lot of your links mention 30 mobs.

I can tell you Luclin launch i could do AoE pulls and that was 2001, and wasnt a 12 or 30 mobs, was go grab all fungus grove and bring it all.

This is an intentional, non-classic, difficulty change, specific to P99.

Please move this to resolved.

then you have to read part 2. When we get to that point, can we atleast work with Raid Zones to be able to do real aoe?

coolget
07-20-2018, 05:46 PM
the post you linked says:

But the best factor of all, nothing beats the looks on a meatshields face when he sees 2 wizards kill 20 mobs in under 1 minute.

Spiders are really easy if enough can be found, however remind the puller to not turn his back on 10 backstabbers.

Give him rune and lev and should be able to pull 30 at a time with relative ease.

When you have 20 mobs in camp, anything can happen.

Just because your PBAE group can kill 15 skellies in the KC basement doesn't mean you'll have the same luck with Amy Knights in Fear. So for some trains, stick to the general rule: 8 Is Enough.

15-20 mobs will be framerate hell on a lot of systems

etc.

your evidence sucks

good luck getting them to revert this change (it won't happen)

Triiz
07-20-2018, 06:37 PM

etc.

your evidence sucks

I agree this will never be changed, but there is plenty of evidence I've posted before that people were pulling more than 25 mobs regularly in 2001 and it was a common method to XP.

Especially in sebilis, they drop every 2 seconds when you're pulling up to 40.

It can be very nice to see Cobalt Vambraces, a Bonecasters Robe, Cane of the Tranquil, 4 BD's, 2 Black sapphires, a Seb mantle, Book of Obulous, about 5 spells, 3 diamonds, and 30 or so random other gems drop off of one amazing pull.
^Either luckiest pull ever or there were 40+ mobs in those pulls.

https://www.graffes.com/forums/showthread.php?6048-Sebilis-AoE-The-how-to-Quellious-server

Rygar
07-20-2018, 08:20 PM
The "fuck this shit" attitude of the OP is just not acceptable in the bug sectIon.

Also, no one is debating 100+ AoE did happen, it is a matter that not everyone could consistently given hardware specs and connection speeds. Printing press of alts doing perfect 120+ kills every 25 mins like clockwork not the norm. Devs have made their decision.

Edit: and I'm not talking luclin updated zones, more like Chardok and seb.

That being said, i do feel 25 is a bit limiting, i would be curious if this was raised to 40 mobs if we would see this be more of a strategy in some zones or as a leveling tool.

Setting to 25 means you err low and get maybe 18 or 20 as an overpull means certain death. If limit was 40 you may see some 30ish pulls only anyways.

Brocode
07-20-2018, 10:23 PM
etc.
your evidence sucks

Touched a nerve in there? Should try RNF, focusing on the non evidence wont hide the fact that theres plenty of evidence, i am just not on Rygar level to present it.

The "fuck this shit" attitude of the OP is just not acceptable in the bug sectIon.

Also, no one is debating 100+ AoE did happen, it is a matter that not everyone could consistently given hardware specs and connection speeds. Printing press of alts doing perfect 120+ kills every 25 mins like clockwork not the norm. Devs have made their decision.

Edit: and I'm not talking luclin updated zones, more like Chardok and seb.

That being said, i do feel 25 is a bit limiting, i would be curious if this was raised to 40 mobs if we would see this be more of a strategy in some zones or as a leveling tool.

Setting to 25 means you err low and get maybe 18 or 20 as an overpull means certain death. If limit was 40 you may see some 30ish pulls only anyways.

Apologies if you feel that how it was presented, just wish i had own logs from the timer we used to split some areas 60 mobs minimun and to show it up, althought graffe itself can present the evidence.

Althought we dont have faith, Main Goal here is to restore that ability to raid scenario, not about that random zone disruption bard aoeing whole zone.

Raev
07-20-2018, 10:56 PM
It's simply much easier on emus do to their superior pathing.

Also, TAKP has flee stuns and they were confirmed akkurate for EQ Mac. So it's pretty likely this server should have them too.

coolget
07-20-2018, 10:56 PM
what

your own "evidence" disproves what you're trying to change

MagpieRockyl
07-20-2018, 11:04 PM
OP can go play on another free server