PDA

View Full Version : Kunark Launch Day

Rogean
03-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Kunark Launch is upon us. Friday, March 25th, Kunark will officially be opened.

What to expect.
We plan to have a live dynamic scavenger hunt type quest as the kick off leading towards the unlock of Kunark. This event will begin some time between 6-7 PM Eastern. Depending on how quickly people complete the necessary steps of this quest and completing each phase will determine exactly when Kunark will become available, but I suspect it will last 2 to 3 hours.

There will be serverwide messages throughout the evening keeping everyone up to date on the progression of the live quest, as well as when Kunark does open. The opening of the zones will coincide with the level cap being raised to 60 as well as the ability to create Iksars. This will all happen without a server patch.

Serverwide Rares
Beginning with the unlock of Kunark and lasting only throughout that night, every mob on the server will have a very rare chance to drop high value classic items, such as the Guise of Deceiver and others. To promote fairness for all levels, and to prevent high level characters from slaughtering low level zones, these items will only have a chance to drop if experience was awarded for the kill (aka, the "Trivial" loot system). We may turn this feature off after enough items have dropped, so don't miss your opportunity!

Achievements
As players obtain certain server first goals, they will be broadcasted to the server. Currently the system will only congratulate players for level achievements, but other type achievements such as mob kills or quests may be added. For example, a broadcast will automatically congratulate the first players to levels 51 to 60. It will also congratulate each individual class to level 60, and it will also announce various Iksar levels, including pre-50, and also the first of each Iksar class to 60.

Play Nice!
We expect the population of the server to be considerably higher on Friday. The server will be cramped. Remember to be courteous to your fellow players and not create a headache for the server staff. Do not attract the wrath of Uthgaard!

Valdain
03-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Yay! Iksar armies incoming!

Gorgetrapper
03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Wtf, this just makes me want to play non stop until i get some good shit. Damn you Rogean.

Blancah
03-21-2011, 07:08 PM
I love you guys so much.

MoonlightStoner
03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
only item my toon is missing from live is a guise ty for even a chance at getting it <3

quido
03-21-2011, 07:38 PM
I hope everybody gets some lustrous russet! Even int casters!

PureLo
03-21-2011, 08:56 PM
I would love to get a guise for my troll warr even though cobalt bracer and shrink should be easier obtained :)

Pyrocat
03-21-2011, 09:05 PM
incoming "10k for guise loot rights" auctions :)

looking forward to the launch, thanks nilbog, Rogean, and the entire dev staff and everyone who helped get us here!

Dr4z3r
03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I am confused. Will the scavenger hunt lead up to the unlocking of Kunark, or will it begin with the unlocking of Kunark?

Icecometus
03-21-2011, 09:25 PM
just read it carefully. the quest will UNLOCK kunark and have several parts to it. the day is finally on the horizon ;) nice touch with the classic super rares man thanks!

Aarone
03-21-2011, 09:26 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=91

Brad_mo123
03-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Depending on how quickly people complete the necessary steps of this quest and completing each phase will determine exactly when Kunark will become available, but I suspect it will last 2 to 3 hours.

Not to talk shit or to be rude but I have had experience with all the past major GM events and they have been extremely laggy and a LOT longer than expected. I am expecting atleast 5hrs. Is there going to be anything done different or has then been minor preps to make this event go more smooth than the ones before it?

Dantes
03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
So you caved in for the whiners who are complaining about not having a chance at loot that no longer drops? You guys are too nice.

Pyrocat
03-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Not to talk shit or to be rude but... talks shit, is rude

:rolleyes:

Come on guy, Kunark is coming out, who cares how long the GM event is.

Auvdar
03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Not to talk shit or to be rude but I have had experience with all the past major GM events and they have been extremely laggy and a LOT longer than expected. I am expecting atleast 5hrs. Is there going to be anything done different or has then been minor preps to make this event go more smooth than the ones before it?

I think this event will be spread across a lot of zones, not just 1 or 2 like the last events have been. But I guess we will find out on Friday :)

Versus
03-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Soooo...what goodies besides Guise and manastone? All old shit that doesn't drop, or will shit like AoNecro be thrown in there as well?

Toony
03-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Soooo...what goodies besides Guise and manastone? All old shit that doesn't drop, or will shit like AoNecro be thrown in there as well?

Did he say manstone somewhere? I missed it.

Anderdale
03-21-2011, 11:00 PM

my guess is:

Guise, Lustrous Russet, Cryosilk, Rubicite, Manastone... and maybe just maybe.............MISTWALKER?!

Slave
03-21-2011, 11:14 PM
This will all happen without a server patch.

BURN THE WITCH!!

Mcbard
03-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Cool beans dev crew.

Sephrana
03-21-2011, 11:57 PM
omg wtb babysitter for my children for the entire weekend PST

lol. ;)

SwordNboard
03-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Do not attract the wrath of Uthgaard!

By telling a person not to do something, well, you know...

:D

Yilza Moosik
03-22-2011, 02:57 AM
6-7 PM Eastern

I am so bad at those times. What is that GMT ? or any Euro time ;)

Zigfreed
03-22-2011, 03:18 AM
It's always 5 hours earlier in EST from GMT.
To spell it out: Noon (12pm) GMT is 7am EST.
This message brought to you by google..

On another note..
I wonder if all mobs will have the same miniscule chance to drop X doodad? Seems slightly unfair to have a lvl 45 mob have the same chance as a lvl 4 orc. It would slant it a bit towards "newbies" getting a shot which is cool but would slant it far far more towards newly made twinks madly slaughtering everything in sight while their "wives/girlfriends" buffed the heck outta them. Probably waaay easier though to just give all mobs a .00001% chance of dropping from the special table than tiering chance based on level of critter.

Uthgaard
03-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Not to talk shit or to be rude but I have had experience with all the past major GM events and they have been extremely laggy and a LOT longer than expected.

You mean the stress test in October that was done specifically to see how many people one zone could handle after the server optimizations Rogean and Haynar did? Go figure.

maverikstation
03-22-2011, 06:23 AM
do we have to find by ourself where we have to begin the quest ?

Dac321
03-22-2011, 11:54 AM
/dance

nilbog
03-22-2011, 12:09 PM

Yes. We made the events, so we know the issues they had. :P

'Major preps' have been made for server optimization since launch.. and has led to the non-crashing, stable server you now play on.

These factors are strongly considered when making events.

It should be a good time, and not limited to high level players (which was a concern of mine). Everyone levels 1-50 will be able to participate, and have opportunities for rewards.

Massive Marc
03-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks for putting together a GM event to kick off Kunark. I appreciate all the time you guys have put in for the expansion.

I would like to offer a suggestion though. I would suggest adjusting the time from 6-7pm EST to 8-9pm EST. Seeing as most people on the west coast would be getting off work at 7pm EST, I think it would be beneficial to move for a later time so all time zones can enjoy this event (except you Euro's).

All in all, great job guys. Thanks again for everything.

MM

regatta
03-22-2011, 12:47 PM
This is all I gotta say about Kunark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Lazortag
03-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks for putting together a GM event to kick off Kunark. I appreciate all the time you guys have put in for the expansion.

I would like to offer a suggestion though. I would suggest adjusting the time from 6-7pm EST to 8-9pm EST. Seeing as most people on the west coast would be getting off work at 7pm EST, I think it would be beneficial to move for a later time so all time zones can enjoy this event (except you Euro's).

All in all, great job guys. Thanks again for everything.

MM

Even if you get off work at 7 EST, you can still make it part-way through the event. It'll last for a while apparently.

Kvappe
03-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Serverwide Rares
Beginning with the unlock of Kunark and lasting only throughout that night, every mob on the server will have a very rare chance to drop high value classic items, such as the Guise of Deceiver and others. To promote fairness for all levels, and to prevent high level characters from slaughtering low level zones, these items will only have a chance to drop if experience was awarded for the kill (aka, the "Trivial" loot system). We may turn this feature off after enough items have dropped, so don't miss your opportunity!

Does this mean after Kunark are unlucked or before when the scavage is underway?

guineapig
03-22-2011, 01:30 PM
My guess is after Kunark is unlocked. Otherwise you will have way fewer people actually contributing to the event.

nilbog
03-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Serverwide Rares

Does this mean after Kunark are unlucked or before when the scavage is underway?

Beginning with the unlock of Kunark

Kvappe
03-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Well i know unlucking kunark is going to be done while we play, but it could have been when you guys "unlucked the kunark event" aswell, just wanted to know, so after people can make iksars :) poors guys will have nothing to kill, all the level 50 druids Pleveling there Iksar friends for a chance off a guise :P

Cars
03-22-2011, 01:45 PM
I know that we wont get clarification for this but, ALL of the non-dropping rares? or is it more like Guise of the deceiver, rubicite and manastones? I am guessing that if lustrous russett would be dropping again it would only be in the planes but I doubt the GM's wanna start tinkering with individual zones like that, but lets just say they do and Negafen pops in this same window. Bladestorm's maybe?

Darian
03-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Rogean did you time this to coincide perfectly with the due date of my paper draft?

...you cheeky devil

Massive Marc
03-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Even if you get off work at 7 EST, you can still make it part-way through the event. It'll last for a while apparently.

....but I suspect it will last 2 to 3 hours.

You're not taking into account travel time, getting settled and whatever else happens. Assuming the event starts at 6pm EST and ends at 8pm EST I would miss the event completely.

bluejam
03-22-2011, 02:30 PM
You can't please everyone. I am Euro, but you don't see me whining. Just get it out. :)

Kvappe
03-22-2011, 02:33 PM
You can't please everyone. I am Euro, but you don't see me whining. Just get it out. :)

Euro here aswell, going to sleep all friday when i get home, and get up as soon as the switch get turned on.

Yilza Moosik
03-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Euro here aswell, going to sleep all friday when i get home, and get up as soon as the switch get turned on.

+1

Anderdale
03-22-2011, 04:33 PM
If have to work friday etc etc here is a easy fix. take the day off!

Extunarian
03-22-2011, 04:49 PM
I would like to suggest that while the ultra-rare loot is dropping, the corpse never unlocks for those outside the XP group (even after the decay countdown breaks the 5 minute mark). Otherwise level 50's are just going to use level 1 "proxies" to mass-kill and then take the rare drops for themselves. This would discourage such behavior and leave more mobs for the lowbies that are actually trying to kill stuff with nothing more than a splintered club and burst of flame.

This is a great idea all around. I won't be able to be online for most of the unlocking quest, so I hope someone posts a good write-up of what goes down :-)

guineapig
03-22-2011, 04:52 PM
I would like to suggest that while the ultra-rare loot is dropping, the corpse never unlocks for those outside the XP group (even after the decay countdown breaks the 5 minute mark). Otherwise level 50's are just going to use level 1 "proxies" to mass-kill and then take the rare drops for themselves. This would discourage such behavior and leave more mobs for the lowbies that are actually trying to kill stuff with nothing more than a splintered club and burst of flame.

This is a great idea all around. I won't be able to be online for most of the unlocking quest, so I hope someone posts a good write-up of what goes down :-)

This is a very valid point...

Frootloop
03-22-2011, 04:56 PM

I Agree, good idea.

Cars
03-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Most low level zones dont have defined camps and the competition is going to be stiff because everyone wants to do it that way. Your best bet is to get on your main, skip the kunark event and lock down some camps with some friends that have a lot of mobs right around your level. Thats what i would do anyways.

Jenni D
03-22-2011, 05:33 PM
how are some people actually managing to whine and moan about this? it truely beggars belief :) Here's an idea : everyone plays at various times, its not all about YOU :)

Just be grateful, say thankyou very much and be patient :)

Sparkin
03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Eh, should just be a much lower chance for stuff to drop off mobs in the 1-10 range or w/e really. Everybody has their iksar twink sets ready, low level mobs are going to get slaughtered. Twinks will kill low level stuff 10x quicker per character than level 50's can kill their exp-giving mobs.

Gorgetrapper
03-22-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty sure they already have this in mind, it's not like these guys are stupid.

saucer
03-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Actually I think their thought process was probably along the lines of how cool this would be to celebrate the release of Kunark and not about the best method to actually get the gear and certainly not about how this should be a reward to the level 50s and not the newbie iksars. I think I personally would prefer that the level 1 iksars have a better shot at getting masks /shrug

Slave
03-23-2011, 12:35 AM
On the contrary, I think they very much take the powergaming crowd into account with every tiny change and advancement.

mimixownzall
03-23-2011, 01:23 AM
I'm pretty sure they already have this in mind, it's not like these guys are stupid.

Well, I doubt Uthgaard has thought of this...

/runs and hides from banhammer

Gladerunner
03-23-2011, 12:57 PM
so for people living in the uk the event will be starting at 11/12pm is that correct?

guineapig
03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
so for people living in the uk the event will be starting at 11/12pm is that correct?

If you mean 11pm - 12am, then yes.

loneless999
03-23-2011, 02:18 PM
hehe im from the UK also looks like it will be an all nighter i better stock up on the red bull

Rogean
03-23-2011, 02:45 PM
hehe im from the UK also looks like it will be an all nighter i better stock up on the red bull

That's the spirit.

Kimm Barely
03-23-2011, 03:40 PM
good work guise

Kvappe
03-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Rogean did you guys consider the masses off people killing in low level zones with a twinked level 1 and DS? will there be better chance for loot at higher level monsters or will all newbie zones be empty of monsters?

azeth
03-23-2011, 05:27 PM
not gonna lie, i was going to tag this thread with a word starting with "A" and ended up typing in Az which brings up a list of all tags incorporating my name on the forums.

herego why i tagged this "azeth a virgin?" I suggest you pull up the "az" tags and lawl.

nickyboy1981
03-23-2011, 05:57 PM
uk here to, better hold off drinking or i'll be passing out at 12 just as it kicks off :) , awesome job guys.

Foxx
03-23-2011, 06:22 PM
what time is the scavenger hunt starting, and do the rare loots start dropping when the scavenger hunt is over and kunark releases?

Rogean
03-23-2011, 06:24 PM
what time is the scavenger hunt starting, and do the rare loots start dropping when the scavenger hunt is over and kunark releases?

Wow....

Anderdale
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM

lol

bakkily
03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
dont pester the guys too much, anyways, umm the events usally are later at night, so chill, just wait and you will have some fun, otherwise if you pester em again, i advise you to get drunk at your local bar, so you pass out (that way we dont have to listen to your bitching in game)

bakkily
03-23-2011, 08:29 PM
thats directed at you foxx

Foxx
03-23-2011, 08:56 PM
i bartend, I wont be home until around 3AM eastern so I am probobly going to miss the event (

Toony
03-23-2011, 09:04 PM
i bartend, I wont be home until around 3AM eastern so I am probobly going to miss the event (

Yes. Probably so.

Seaweedpimp
03-23-2011, 09:47 PM

So do you serve drinks before or after you get home?

bakkily
03-24-2011, 02:13 AM
wish i would be here friday, its either go camping or be on eq friday night, (but i havnt gone camping with these friends for a long time or have hung out with them for a long time), hope you guys get many good loots!

PureLo
03-24-2011, 02:27 AM
basically everyone should go into the event day just like any other set of playtime expecting to get nothing special or out of the ordinary... that way when you see a GM Rare it will be that much more special :P

azeth
03-24-2011, 07:49 AM
basically everyone should go into the event day just like any other set of playtime expecting to get nothing special or out of the ordinary... that way when you see a GM Rare it will be that much more special :P

PureLo to an extent this is exactly my strategy for the opening week. I'm expecting to not lock down the specifics we're looking at (my group) and be forced to just hit Chardok/CoM etc. I am so anxious about tomorrow it's hard to put into text.

Ryhalt
03-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Sounds like it's going to be fun. Despite my low level it's cool that I'll get a chance to participate.

Seaweedpimp
03-24-2011, 01:46 PM

Oh my god

Salty
03-24-2011, 06:24 PM
So do you serve drinks before or after you get home?

I loled

Leokaiser
03-24-2011, 08:19 PM

lol wut?

Scroll
03-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Man, so I guess the farming classes are going to clean up. My regards to all of the warriors out there /lol

Jenni D
03-25-2011, 07:23 AM
that Friday song.....i love it!

Spud
03-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Fri-day fri-day fri-day omg its fri-day which phat lewt can I taaaaayk?

icekoffee
03-25-2011, 12:49 PM
the fun is in participating in the even not looting goodies. Although goodies would be cool... the fun is running around like a mad man killing then realizing you just dinged

I cant wait. gonna bust ass to try and get home in time for the first every minute of the event.

jimthayner
03-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Oh my god

That Rebecca Black video...umm...somene here likes cock. /agree Seaweedpimp.

Raavak
03-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Beginning with the unlock of Kunark

So the scavenger hunt starts at the beginning or ends after the beginning? And which part of the beginning does all this happen? The start of the beginning of end of the beginning? This is all getting very confusing and its almost time now.

YendorLootmonkey
03-25-2011, 02:53 PM
So the scavenger hunt starts at the beginning or ends after the beginning? And which part of the beginning does all this happen? The start of the beginning of end of the beginning? This is all getting very confusing and its almost time now.

Errr.... the original post was fairly clear.

The scavenger hunt leads up to the opening of Kunark. Once the scavenger hunt has been completed, Kunark opens. Once Kunark opens, all the mobs in the game start having that uber rare chance of dropping uber loot. This "bonus loot" phase will last for some undetermined amount of time.

Bruuce
03-25-2011, 04:55 PM
so is it just me or is everyone else crashing now when you zone and cant complete a cast or see people in ooc/auc/shout in ec?

Rogean
03-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Just you.

Shiftin
03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
no, EC is F'd currently if that's where you are. can't chat, can't cast, no mobs, etc.

Rogean
03-25-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm in EC and I can see chat and mobs fine.

Kimmie
03-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Just you.

I also just crashed zoning into EC. Twice.
Come at me bro.

Shiftin
03-25-2011, 05:19 PM
had several people tell me they couldn't get into or chat in EC. i had to try zoning out, which crashed me, to get stuff to work again.

inyane
03-25-2011, 05:33 PM
yeah, same thing happened to me the first time i zoned into EC a bit ago. I thought it was really quiet for being 125+ in the zone :)

skorge
03-25-2011, 06:00 PM

Yo it's Friday! Gotta get down on Friday! Fun, Fun, Fun, Fun...yesterday was Thursday, today is Friday, we, we, we so excited....tomorrow is Saturday and Sunday comes afterwards....

DOPE YO!

Frootloop
03-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Snap, Grats on breaking 1k for people online :)

jarlaxle
03-25-2011, 06:24 PM
I crashed zoning into EC aswell

queipo_a
03-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I cant seem to start EQ, was online this morning. Now i click the eq icon and before it gets to the "Decline" or "Accept" page it crashes with a windows error. help please

Pyrocat
03-26-2011, 01:13 AM
Snap, Grats on breaking 1k for people online :)

I think you mean 1500 :)

Baltros
03-26-2011, 04:00 AM
I would like to thank and congratulate Rogean and team on a job well done. I thoroughly enjoyed the launch last night and I think everything went very smoothly, all things considered.

So, a huge thankyou to Rogean and all the devs, and congratulations on hitting 1500 peeps online! Your time and effort is very much appreciated.

Riatsila
03-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Congrats to the team on a successful (and awesome) launching event! Darned Iksars never gave me anything but gold, but I'm not worried over it..I had fun! This was a solid event, and I look forward to spending MANY levels on the new continent!

Great job guys! Your server is definitely the most fun I've had in EQ in YEARS!

Noxious
03-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Fantastic launch,

Huge thanks to the devs

kilur
03-26-2011, 08:42 AM
Great job all on the Kunark launch. Cant thank you enough for all of the work you put into this server!!

murgle
03-26-2011, 11:00 AM
This is newb. The classic Kunark launch event was in kithicor where they dropped mobs into that zone and those mobs dropped Kunark only items... You want to call right-clicking spell slots classic but implement this bullshit? Guise wasn't available again in game until Casinos in Luclin.

Friday
03-26-2011, 12:17 PM
lol @ the audacity ^

Mardur
03-26-2011, 10:31 PM
This is newb. The classic Kunark launch event was in kithicor where they dropped mobs into that zone and those mobs dropped Kunark only items... You want to call right-clicking spell slots classic but implement this bullshit? Guise wasn't available again in game until Casinos in Luclin.

u mad?

Supreme
03-27-2011, 09:56 AM

Wow show some freaking gratitude to the work and effort they put into this launch event. I was there on live as well and tbh IT SUCKED. P1999 did it up MUCH better and i was more excited now than then.

People like you sometimes forget all the work that goes into this server for FREE!

Don't like it don't play here.