PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for selling items?

spectrefax
05-15-2018, 03:42 PM
I don't get to auction my wares in EC tunnel often, but when I do, it usually results in about 30 mins of spamming followed by vendoring most items (I usually only have low/mid-level items, no big ticket stuff).

I'm very rarely successful in selling anything in EC unless I sell the items at 25%-30% of their normal value, and even then that's pretty rare too. Can anyone offer me any tips to help me move my items?

P.S. I'm a casual player, so I often don't have time to sit in EC tunnel for hours as I prefer to spend my available game time playing. Thanks!

Baylan295
05-15-2018, 03:54 PM
If you are playing a gating/porting class, my usual path is to bind near where I want to end up, and start/end my sessions in EC for like 15-20 minutes. I’ll get a port to WC to vendor and sell, and then gate back to wherever I will be XPing the next day after I spent my 15-20 minutes doing the same at the beginning of the next play session.

Supaskillz
05-15-2018, 03:59 PM
You can always auction in the zones you pass through or fight in. finding a buyer can take time, if you don't want to spend that time vendoring or selling to re-sellers at half price seems reasonable.

Erati
05-15-2018, 04:12 PM
just sell everything extremely cheap and enjoy the time you arent spending /auc ing in EC

sometimes I will mark my stuff 1-2k cheaper than the normal price just to move it, bc at the end of the day, your items are not that special...many people have the same things for sale and its all about tricking the next sucker into buying from you rather than other guy

loramin
05-15-2018, 04:40 PM
(I usually only have low/mid-level items, no big ticket stuff).

I think this is a big part of your problem. Because of this server's 8+ years and resulting inflated economy, a big chunk of characters are twinks who will never use what you're selling. Another big chunk might use what you're selling ... if a higher level character hadn't already given them something better. And another big chunk, the "fat cats" will buy what you're selling, but only at greatly reduced prices. Finally, yet another chunk could use what you're selling, but they're in ALS or otherwise want to earn it themselves

That leaves you with a relatively small percentage of the server that even might want what you have to sell. The percentage certainly does exist, but you just can't expect them to all be hanging out in EC right when you are selling, which is why I think you'll have to resign yourself to either spending more time in EC, or getting less plat for your goods.

My advice: don't get tricked in to worrying about loot at low levels at all, because it's a suckers game. Loot (with a few exceptions) does not make you level faster! All loot generally does is increase maxes, but it doesn't increase your DPS rate (key to melee leveling) or mana regen rate (key for casters). A good weapon and haste item do affect how fast melees level ... but only if you solo. In a group any one character's gear really barely impacts the group: even if you're a tank, whether you have an extra 100 AC or not just won't change how fast your group kills. However leveling does help you get loot noticeably faster.

So I say, get the minimal gear you need (for non-tanks this is more or less just whatever you loot as you level), and go get XP. Soon enough you will be higher level, and then you can make plat much more easily.

Plowyabeastlord
05-15-2018, 04:47 PM
Find me in game. Fleamarkit. I normally don’t buy items worth under 500p but I’ll consider it to help a new player out.

mr_jon3s
05-15-2018, 04:48 PM
I think this is a big part of your problem. Because of this server's 8+ years and resulting inflated economy, a big chunk of characters are twinks who will never use what you're selling. Another big chunk might use what you're selling ... if a higher level character hadn't already given them something better. And another big chunk, the "fat cats" will buy what you're selling, but only at greatly reduced prices. Finally, yet another chunk could use what you're selling, but they're in ALS or otherwise want to earn it themselves

That leaves you with a relatively small percentage of the server that even might want what you have to sell. The percentage certainly does exist, but you just can't expect them to all be hanging out in EC right when you are selling, which is why I think you'll have to resign yourself to either spending more time in EC, or getting less plat for your goods.

My advice: don't get tricked in to worrying about loot at low levels at all, because it's a suckers game. Loot (with a few exceptions) does not make you level faster! All loot generally does is increase maxes, but it doesn't increase your mana regen rate, which is all casters care about. For melee characters your weapon and haste item do affect how fast you level. but mainly only if you solo. Otherwise, and especially if you group, gear really doesn't (even if you're a tank, whether you have an extra 100 AC or not just won't change how fast your group kills). However leveling does help you get loot noticeably faster.

So I say, get the minimal gear you need (for non-tanks this is more or less just whatever you loot as you level), and go get XP. Soon enough you will be higher level, and then you can make plat much more easily.

Wipe it clean.

Tupakk
05-15-2018, 04:49 PM
Supply and Demand. Nobody wants low end gear. Sell what sells and vendor what doesn’t.

loramin
05-15-2018, 04:56 PM
Wipe it clean.

#wipeitclean
#waitforgreen

Canelek
05-15-2018, 04:56 PM
make a forum post with your items in it and bump it everyday until you have sold off all your trash. Also consider looking at ahungry.com and see if anyone is WTB'ing what you are WTS'ing.

Other than that suck it up, shits classic

kjs86z
05-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Find me in game. Fleamarkit. I normally don’t buy items worth under 500p but I’ll consider it to help a new player out.

Can attest - this guy is doing a great job at taking the crap that hardly sells.

Sure, he's making a profit...but would you be able to sell it otherwise? prob not

Also, try leveling in spots where there's more vendor drops than lore / EC tunnel items. I love me some NG still to this day simply because of all the 0.1 wt gems that vendor for up to 200 plat a piece.

loramin
05-15-2018, 05:05 PM
Also, try leveling in spots where there's more vendor drops than lore / EC tunnel items. I love me some NG still to this day simply because of all the 0.1 wt gems that vendor for up to 200 plat a piece.

This. If you choose to ignore my previous advice about leveling vs. earning loot (and earning loot is fun, so I wouldn't blame you if you did) I highly recommend the Treasure Hunting Guide on the wiki (link in my signature).

It lists all of the vendor-loot spots (like NG), separately from all of the item-loot spots.

spectrefax
05-15-2018, 06:19 PM

My advice: don't get tricked in to worrying about loot at low levels at all, because it's a suckers game. Loot (with a few exceptions) does not make you level faster! All loot generally does is increase maxes, but it doesn't increase your DPS rate (key to melee leveling) or mana regen rate (key for casters). A good weapon and haste item do affect how fast melees level ... but only if you solo. In a group any one character's gear really barely impacts the group: even if you're a tank, whether you have an extra 100 AC or not just won't change how fast your group kills. However leveling does help you get loot noticeably faster.

I forgot to mention that my main is 59 Necro. =/

loramin
05-15-2018, 07:25 PM
Oh, heh, the fact that you said you were selling low value items made me think you were lower level. In that case by all means please ignore my "lowbies wasting effort on loot" spiel :)

Instead, I think the solution is simple: go for higher value item camps that sell easier (or else go for the rare high level cash camp like NG)! I know Howling Stones is very popular among Necros for exactly that, and the treasure hunting guide has other ideas too.

xCry0x
05-15-2018, 08:22 PM
As others said: http://ahungry.com/eqauctions-live

And a forum post.

The forum post in particular is afk selling. People either contact you or they don't -- it takes you 30 seconds to bump your post.

If you want to sell in EC but don't want to spend time in EC, then you need to sell at a huge discount or just get lucky with having a buyer there and paying attention the moment you spam your auction.

spectrefax
05-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Good advice in this thread. Thanks all. Will focus on higher ticket items with known demand in the future and a forum post. =)

B4EQWASCOOL
05-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Lower prices. Undercut hard.

Quinas
05-16-2018, 12:06 AM
Focus on the high value items. Most of the stuff from HS, for example, never sells or if it does, for 50-100pp.

loramin
05-16-2018, 01:54 AM
Most of the stuff from HS, for example, never sells or if it does, for 50-100pp.

Oh, I thought HS, or at least the West and South wings (with Rapier of Oriin, Sash of the Dragonborn, etc.) were pretty decent. I've never actually done HS for loot myself though, I just heard good things.

Quinas
05-16-2018, 02:13 AM
Those things do, but you get a fair few trashy drops in there. I think it was (like most things) better years ago.

wagorf
05-16-2018, 03:18 AM
Couple of points you need to know, EC re-sellers don't want you to know this.

(1) Posting on forum to sell will net you the lowest profit margin. It's good if you want to get rid of your items fast, but expect people to lowball you unless the item is super rare and high in demand.

(2) People in EC rarely buy at market price. It is usually those who doesn't want to spend time in EC waiting, or naive to think wiki price is firm. As a seller, these are the best customers you can deal with.

(3) You should notice in EC WTBs is significantly less than WTSs. You should know why that is happening and take advantage of it.

(4) Pay attention to the WTBs. I made tons of plat from WTBs, even if my char still needs the item. Just buy back the item at a lower price from another seller. Rethink point #3.

(5) Make an effort to monitor EC for at least 2 weeks (14 days). You will get an idea on what the true transaction prices are.

(6) There are many dumb EC resellers, remember their names and avoid them. Sell them items but never buy from them.

(7) Wiki price is playing listing price, not transaction price. Have you bought a car or house before? You don't pay MSRP or the house listing price. If you do then I can't help your sorry ass.

Jimjam
05-16-2018, 05:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_uHJPUlO8

Ruhtar
05-16-2018, 07:03 AM
Couple of points you need to know, EC re-sellers don't want you to know this.

(1) Posting on forum to sell will net you the lowest profit margin. It's good if you want to get rid of your items fast, but expect people to lowball you unless the item is super rare and high in demand.

(2) People in EC rarely buy at market price. It is usually those who doesn't want to spend time in EC waiting, or naive to think wiki price is firm. As a seller, these are the best customers you can deal with.

(3) You should notice in EC WTBs is significantly less than WTSs. You should know why that is happening and take advantage of it.

(4) Pay attention to the WTBs. I made tons of plat from WTBs, even if my char still needs the item. Just buy back the item at a lower price from another seller. Rethink point #3.

(5) Make an effort to monitor EC for at least 2 weeks (14 days). You will get an idea on what the true transaction prices are.

(6) There are many dumb EC resellers, remember their names and avoid them. Sell them items but never buy from them.

(7) Wiki price is playing listing price, not transaction price. Have you bought a car or house before? You don't pay MSRP or the house listing price. If you do then I can't help your sorry ass.

1. I find this to be incorrect. While you may get low-balled, I find that it happens far less on the forums than it does in the tunnel. Plus, who cares? Just ignore the terrible offers and keep bumping until you get a hit. It's best to set a price for the items you post as well, otherwise you will get random offers. People generally don't put a price on things because they're hoping for more plat than it's worth or they have a specific range they're willing to let it go for and instead of putting the minimum, they leave it open.

2. While this is more true now than it used to be, I still find people willing to pay the price posted, as long as you aren't trying to gouge them. Figure out the average of an item between the tunnel, wiki, ahungry and forum posts and either aim for the minimum or slightly below average. No matter what you price an item at, you still have people offering you a 10th of what you're asking, just ignore them.

3. This statement is correct, but contradicts point #4.

4. The only time you should sell an item you're using is if someone is trying to buy for a ridiculous amount over what it's worth. However, this doesn't make sense in regard to your third point, because if people are wanting to buy an item for much less than market average, then you aren't going to be making money off of it, you'll be losing money. Let me know if I'm reading this wrong.

5. While you can get a good idea of prices after a couple of weeks by looking at the tunnel, it's best to look at everything over a broader time frame using all sources listed earlier (tunnel, wiki, ahungry, forums). If you're specifically looking at the tunnel or recent ahungry postings (which would be the same thing), you could be looking at sellers trying to inflate an item's worth, similar to what's happening with the pre-nerf CoS. This is also true with the wiki, except they're usually outdated prices.

6. Correct, resellers are there to make a profit. If you're trying to sell items fast, they'll probably be the best bet if you've already exhausted normal selling means. It will be obvious who the resellers are though, since they usually sell at the higher end of the spectrum or insane prices that the item hasn't gone for since it was first released.

7. Use the wiki as a starting point. Don't assume that's the current pricing, but in some rare cases it may be the only pricing you have to go off of. It at least gives you an idea if your item is worth 40p or 40k.

Outside of that, a lot of the advice here is spot on. If you're selling items that aren't going quick in the tunnel, make a forum post for them and bump the post every day or two. Items that are harder to sell are vendor trash items or class specific items. Try camping spots that have a chance of dropping items worth around 1k or more and try to get an idea of how heavy the demand is for a specific item. Camps like frenzied in Velks drops 2 great items, a cheap all/all haste glove and an awesome melee wrist (non-lore), both of which sell pretty well, even though the camp usually has someone sitting at it at all times.

tl;dr - Don't buy plat from Kluwen

Speedi
05-16-2018, 07:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_uHJPUlO8

I agree!

Set a day and time for a giveaway and give it all to noobs! :)

jolanar
05-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Save low value items for when you are trying to sell a bigger ticket items. Don't stick around EC trying to just sell low value stuff.

For example if you have an item worth 100p, and you spend an hour trying to sell it, you just lost several hundred plat that you would have gained by spending that time in Seb grouping or somewhere else soloing.

Baylan295
05-16-2018, 08:41 AM
Oh, I thought HS, or at least the West and South wings (with Rapier of Oriin, Sash of the Dragonborn, etc.) were pretty decent. I've never actually done HS for loot myself though, I just heard good things.

The “Good” drops in West are rare or ultra-rare drops off the boss in the back room. They aren’t exactly easy to farm solo (though far from impossible). The big ticket drops in South are easier to farm because there is a specific spot most of the farmers work in that only exposes you to 4-5 mobs every respawn, with a safe spot nearby. There is also a bigger variety of drops (Sash, Bloodpoint, and Fingerbone Hoop being the big 3 that sell for good plat out of South, as I recall).

GinnasP99
05-16-2018, 10:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FWfKoc-MKM

fastboy21
05-16-2018, 03:00 PM
No secret other than time. You can max your time by making a mule that is in EC, posting to the forum EC tunnel, etc...but it will still take more time.

The more favorable a price you offer to the buyer the less time it will take you.

The problem you're having is more a server issue with mid level or beginning gear. The amount of time it takes to sell mid lvl gear at a favorable price to the seller is usually far higher than the time (opportunity cost) you give up by sitting in EC when you can be out lvl'ing and earning...the result is that it is a buyer's market on mid level equipment.

You benefit from this same "problem" when you buy your cheap mid lvl gear...so it isn't entirely unfair to the new player either. My suggestion would be to simply accept that the you are going to routinely sell gear at less than what you think is the fair market price simply because of the time variable. It isn't the end of the world.

When you start to get into rare items or higher price items then you'll be able to play around more in the tunnel as a seller.

If you are genuinely trying to make pp as a new player I would suggest selecting your farm camps to generate rare low lvl items that are still relatively seller markets: things like goblin gazhughi ring were my bread and butter during kunark. Rare item, low lvl to farm it, hella rare = folks actually pay a premium for the item (ring is just an example ofc.) If you can track consider doing some of the better cycle track items (quillmane, iksar mask, fm drops, etc.)...you can still make money farming gear on p99 but you kind of have to deliberately pick the items you invest farm time in at low lvls.

wagorf
05-17-2018, 01:29 AM
Save low value items for when you are trying to sell a bigger ticket items. Don't stick around EC trying to just sell low value stuff.

For example if you have an item worth 100p, and you spend an hour trying to sell it, you just lost several hundred plat that you would have gained by spending that time in Seb grouping or somewhere else soloing.

This ^^

Nothing is worse than spending time in EC selling off the cheap items. I stopped logging in my mule once all the 1k+ items are gone, despite having tons of 500p or below items in inventory.

WarTurtle62
05-18-2018, 11:10 PM
I disagree with everyone saying “no one” wants low end gear. I have a level 33 shaman and a lv 24 enchanter. I was excited everytime I hit the tunnel and found players actually selling things for less than 500p, because I could afford them. I would check in the tunnel once a week or so and slowly geared up both toons with worthwile, yet inexpensive gear! One major problem with EQ, or any game, is everyone wants to fast track to the best gear and most powerful items, completely forgetting and unerappreciating the low and mid gear along the way. Maybe +2 int doesn’t mean much to the neckbeards, but for 10p I was overjoyed to have SOMETHING on my ring slot that made me better. I don’t care if it amounts to hardly any mp, it made me feel better to slowly fill spots with “unique” gear. I totally support the suggestion to use a gating class to make going back and forth easier, and just check in occasionally. Please keep selling your cheaper wares! Someone will be super pumped to take it off your hands. There are new players every day, and plenty of noobs who wander over from Freeport to hunt dervs and willowisps. You could also just do what all the “cheaters” (imho) do and make another toon just to “mule” or hold all your stuff and park in EC, so you can check in and quit whenever you want. Best of luck to you!

Swish2
05-19-2018, 04:19 AM
ALS needs these low value items to be available, there's always a buyer somewhere.

WarTurtle62
05-19-2018, 05:22 AM
Swish, what class are you? Race clearly = troll.

fastboy21
05-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Swish, what class are you? Race clearly = troll.

How dare you talk to Swish this way.

WarTurtle62
05-19-2018, 04:08 PM
Why? Who is Swish? Who am I? What does it all mean...!?!?

loramin
05-19-2018, 04:49 PM
ALS needs these low value items to be available, there's always a buyer somewhere.

ALS doesn't let their members buy stuff on the open market, they have to buy from other ALS members. Classic economy and all that.

Why? Who is Swish? Who am I? What does it all mean...!?!?

Swish was once one of the greatest posters on this forum: the original Swish account has 7k+ posts, and a lot were high quality. Then he went to Red and it ... it changed him. His post quality deteriorated, and instead of being helpful he just repeated "Try Red!" a lot.

Recently though (as Swish2) I feel like he's gotten back to his roots, and many of his latest posts have reminded me of the good old Pre-Red Swish.

jackd104
05-20-2018, 09:36 AM
Make a mule character. Leave it at the tunnel. Transfer items to sell. Log in for 5 min here and there on diff days to sell. Or put out a message every few min while doing something else around the house. Do anything but sit there with your main for a long time trying to sell stuff. Take a more peppered approach. Over time you will sell things and you can sell anything at the right price. I sell a lot of low and mid level gear. Ppl have thinks and do buy stuff. But it can take time