PDA

View Full Version : IP Exemption Request??

SimbaKhan
05-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Hey hey,
I put in a request following the instructions for an ip expemption so my wife can play with me. Any one know how long these usually take?
Thanks!

- Simba

Baler
05-10-2018, 02:49 PM
They do them in batches, wait patiently it will be done eventually.
Only certain staff can process them and their workload + them volunteering their free time determines how quickly it goes through.
Don't bump your petition, it won't make it go quicker.

Many people make threads about this topic, the answer is always the same.

Doctor Jeff
05-10-2018, 03:07 PM
if you are really playin with your wife, a vpn service is like $2 a month and not against the rules.

Baler
05-10-2018, 03:33 PM
if you are really playin with your wife, a vpn service is like $2 a month and not against the rules.

I strongly recommend against using a vpn to circumvent the ip limitation. You can face serious consequences such as being banned.
And when your ip exemption goes through do not abuse it. Don't log in on the 2nd account to buff yourself, trade items with yourself or sit in EC.
They monitor people who apply for ip exemptions to police the 1 person per character rule that makes p99 so fantastic.

aaezil
05-10-2018, 03:38 PM
a week to like half a year

Godspeed dont box

Doctor Jeff
05-10-2018, 03:39 PM
I strongly recommend against using a vpn to circumvent the ip limitation. You can face serious consequences such as being banned.
And when your ip exemption goes through do not abuse it. Don't log in on the 2nd account to buff yourself, trade items with yourself or sit in EC.
They monitor people who apply for ip exemptions to police the 1 person per character rule that makes p99 so fantastic.

It’s not against the rules if you are not boxing.

This means if one of you goes to cook dinner or walk the dog, they should camp while they are gone.

SimbaKhan
05-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Ya,
def just want to show her some real games, she was a WOW player but never experienced the hardcore aspects of EQ so thought it would be fun. I'm an old school player and what I liked most about EQ was having to rely on other players and team work, boxing seems totally lame

Swish2
05-11-2018, 12:41 AM
Hey hey,
We put in a request following the instructions for an ip expemption...

Another one falls at the first fence.

FungusTrooper
05-11-2018, 12:45 AM
I'm waiting too, but yeah, all I've seen is "a couple of days to a couple of years" too :).

So far we're just playing one at a time and levelling our characters separately. Not as fun, but oh well!

Swish2
05-11-2018, 12:56 AM
I do have some spare time if the staff need help processing them.

krendak
05-11-2018, 01:59 AM
Same here. I put in a request a month ago. My first one was rejected (in a polite way) because I didn't use the right format.

joppykid
05-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Can we just sticky a thread already for people asking about this?

Doctor Jeff
05-11-2018, 10:52 AM
Another one falls at the first fence.

swish you might have outdone yourself on the being retarded thing this time.

FungusTrooper
05-11-2018, 12:10 PM
I'm gonna use this topic to ask an IP Exemption question.

You need an IP Exemption to run two accounts through one router, right? My wife and I obviously have different PCs, with different internal IPs, but I'm guessing they have the same external IP?

I don't wanna try it myself because I don't wanna get one of the accounts banned.

Doctor Jeff
05-11-2018, 12:12 PM
I'm guessing they have the same external IP?
Correct.

I don't wanna try it myself because I don't wanna get one of the accounts banned.
How would you get banned? You just wouldn't be able to log in the second account.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+my+ip

FungusTrooper
05-11-2018, 12:21 PM
How would you get banned? You just wouldn't be able to log in the second account
Our servers will not allow you to log in multiple accounts from the same household / internet connection. Attempting to do so will be met with a Temporary IP Ban error.
I just wasn't sure how temporary the temp ban would be, and didn't wanna get an account (or both) banned for a whole day or whatever.

Good to know, though, thanks!

Swish2
05-11-2018, 06:50 PM
My favorite was the guy who posted a bunch of pictures of him forcing his daughter (who was like 8) to sit behind a laptop while his wife took pictures of them 'playing together'. Thread got out of hand enough where one of the Admins came and clarified that he was logging into 2 accounts from the same computer and that shut him up pretty quickly.

Great thread lol

Tobius
05-13-2018, 07:08 PM
Great thread lol

Is it still on here somewhere?

GiRaff3
05-15-2018, 04:20 PM
I'm gonna use this topic to ask an IP Exemption question.

You need an IP Exemption to run two accounts through one router, right? My wife and I obviously have different PCs, with different internal IPs, but I'm guessing they have the same external IP?

Your router is the only piece of equipment in your house that has a front facing IP to the real world which is what the server will see, a class B address like 129.120.xxx.xxx. Everything you plug into the router gets an IP address from that router (class C) typically starting with 192.168.1.xxx. That IP address is internal and has no relevance to the outside world. For example, you would have something like a 192.168.1.10 address and your wife would have 192.168.1.11. On the server side, if more than one account is using that front facing IP (class b) of the router at one time, it looks like boxing unless you put in a valid IP exemption request so the mods know a real live human being is playing each specific account behind that single IP address.

krendak
05-17-2018, 06:43 PM
So would it work to have one connection on a cellular hot spot?

GiRaff3
05-17-2018, 09:28 PM
It would be a totally separate IP but it is circumnavigating the purpose of the rule if you're boxing...

Swish2
05-17-2018, 10:55 PM
Is it still on here somewhere?

It'll be deep in the pages of RNF somewhere. Struggling to remember the account name :(

Swish2
05-17-2018, 10:58 PM
It would be a totally separate IP but it is circumnavigating the purpose of the rule if you're boxing...

If nothing else there's a bunch of people who would quickly report suspicious activity. The healer that never talks, one autofollowing another, never both characters moving at the same time... those are the obvious signs.

I caught an iksar necro in Felwithe at it. What did he do? He created a character called "Lootar" and sat him near where he was killing the guards. Funnily the high elf looted/vendored everything for him but other than that would never move.

That's the most obvious boxer I ever encountered lol, would show screenshots but it's on my old account.

Uuruk
05-18-2018, 12:06 AM
If nothing else there's a bunch of people who would quickly report suspicious activity. The healer that never talks, one autofollowing another, never both characters moving at the same time... those are the obvious signs.

I caught an iksar necro in Felwithe at it. What did he do? He created a character called "Lootar" and sat him near where he was killing the guards. Funnily the high elf looted/vendored everything for him but other than that would never move.

That's the most obvious boxer I ever encountered lol, would show screenshots but it's on my old account.

I think this is a benefit to the red server. If you do these kinds of things there will never be someone around to report you.

krendak
05-18-2018, 08:00 PM

just my wife and I. She made a bard, but I hear that is not an easy one to start with. What is an easy class to play? I have a paladin and enchanter.

FungusTrooper
05-18-2018, 08:06 PM
just my wife and I. She made a bard, but I hear that is not an easy one to start with. What is an easy class to play? I have a paladin and enchanter.

Necro is a bit clicky, but you can kill stuff super easy, and once you have FD you have a get-out-of-trouble card. Same with monk, but you're a bit more up-close-and-personal.

Healer is also an obvious choice if she's only ever gonna play at the same time as you, since a) she'll always have a tank, and b) you'll always have a healer. Or, you know, roles reversed, this is 2018 after all.

Edit: Bard is super specialized, so yeah, maybe not the easiest to learn the game mechanics with. Fun class, tho!

Edit2:
Your router is the only piece of equipment in your house that has a front facing IP to the real world which is what the server will see, a class B address like 129.120.xxx.xxx. Everything you plug into the router gets an IP address from that router (class C) typically starting with 192.168.1.xxx. That IP address is internal and has no relevance to the outside world. For example, you would have something like a 192.168.1.10 address and your wife would have 192.168.1.11. On the server side, if more than one account is using that front facing IP (class b) of the router at one time, it looks like boxing unless you put in a valid IP exemption request so the mods know a real live human being is playing each specific account behind that single IP address.

Thanks for this, this is pretty much what I assumed but it's still nice to hear it. Still waiting on my IP exemption, I had to make a bunch of alts so I don't outlevel my wife too much lol.