PDA

View Full Version : WTS Announcing P99market.com

Chewboy
05-09-2018, 12:45 AM
Sorry, not really selling anything, just wanted to announce this site I built (This forum forced me to choose the WTS prefix):

p99market.com (https://p99market.com)

I was a big fan of the p99auctions site while it was still a thing and was very sad to see it go. Decided to spend some time learning a new front-end framework and built this site for fun. It probably won't be as well maintained as p99auctions was, but at least it's something.

Would love any feedback you guys have. Feel free to DM me or email me at admin@p99market.com. Also, if you find any bugs please let me know and I'll see what I can do about fixing them.

Thanks,
Chewboy

Morticon
05-09-2018, 07:53 AM
How do you like Angular? What are you using on the back-end?

evanderheide
05-09-2018, 08:44 AM
very cool thanks!

Triiz
05-09-2018, 10:37 AM
Where is the data from? Just yourself?

I'm not sure how time consuming either of these suggestions are are, but my suggestions would be - If you aren't already doing it, consider excluding prices X percentage from the average price to prevent filthy ec resellers from easily manipulating it. Imo, that is the biggest problem with auction trackers. It's impossible to totally prevent, but you can stop people from auctioning a 5k item for 30k a few times just to raise the average price.

Also maybe consider adding the seller names/prices in plain text Wiki-style underneath the charts for quick glances without having to hover over each dot.

Either way, it looks good, nice work.

Octavian
05-09-2018, 10:49 AM
If you aren't already doing it, consider excluding prices X percentage from the average price to prevent filthy ec resellers from easily manipulating it.

This is a really good foundation for an idea. My only thought is "what if the first pool of data is already a gouged price?" For example, the price on a pre-nerf CoS has been solidly 10-13k for years now. Meanwhile, during that time, gougers had been hording this item and, once they had each collected 20-30 of them, they then began spamming auctions and forum posts for 20-25k+. So, if this tool is going to begin collecting data now, it's going to start from that already gouged price and anyone trying to sell it for a reasonable price would be excluded.

Another issue - what happens after next patch when some items have their stats changed and the price should justifiably increase dramatically? For example, Narandi's Lance is going from 38/45 to 44/45 and the price will definitely be jumping up a lot. If the price tracker doesn't allow for large jumps in price, it won't reflect the value of the new and improved version.

In short, while I like your idea to help fight price gouging, I'm not sure this approach is practical for that purpose and actually may negatively impact its ability to showcase true item values after the next, albeit final, patch.

Another idea is to include WTB prices in the tracker. I've always found the most reliable method to figuring out an item value is to go through forum threads and compare WTS/WTB prices. Then find the midpoint and that's your value (sometimes this isn't reliable, as there are always exceptions in this insane economy). It's probably a good idea to list WTS/WTB prices in separate tables though, rather than averaging them because this could lead to people trying to spam low prices to bring the price down (same problem as price gougers).

Anyway, good on you for trying to do something for the community and I hope it continues to grow and becomes a stronger tool. I agree, the best difference a new tool could showcase would be a method to thwart price gougers.

Doctor Jeff
05-09-2018, 10:52 AM
you are supposed to seed data

every thing just returns
https://i.imgur.com/aA9GHvn.png

wait a few weeks and then announce a product that actually works or everyone will forget about it.

Chewboy
05-09-2018, 11:19 AM
you are supposed to seed data

every thing just returns
https://i.imgur.com/aA9GHvn.png

wait a few weeks and then announce a product that actually works or everyone will forget about it.

There should be data going back about three months. I'm curious what items you are searching for that should have data.

To answer some of the other questions:

I have thought of the price gouging issue quite a bit and I am doing my best to eliminate outrageous prices from the tracker. I won't go into further details on how this filtering works.

The app is built using the MEAN stack. Angular seems a lot better than react.

Thank you for your input so far. I'll consider putting in the most recent auctions for a quick glance for those that are mobile or don't want to hover over the dots. I like that idea.

stiv
05-09-2018, 11:35 AM
I really like the look of the site. Great work! Some suggestions. I would make the search box opaque once an item has been queried. Though the background image is sexy AF with it showing within the search field it can be kind of hard to read the info. Also, I'm not sure how difficult this would be but the best part of p99auctions site imo was being able to see a live seller. Back when p99auctions was around I would put it up on my second monitor and periodically refresh when I was looking for something in particular. As soon as someone was offering it I would send a tell. It was great because you could tunnel quest w/o having to sit in EC all day.

loramin
05-09-2018, 11:58 AM
The app is built using the MEAN stack. Angular seems a lot better than react.
https://i.imgur.com/LBM55wY.gif

But seriously, when your website is ready for prime time you really should "advertise" it somewhere else like the general forum or /r/project1999 on Reddit. Lots of people who read those forums don't read the auction forum.

Runningfish
05-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Wow. Great looking site and works very well so far. Honestly about time someone made a decent one. Good work.

Triiz
05-09-2018, 03:13 PM
In short, while I like your idea to help fight price gouging, I'm not sure this approach is practical for that purpose and actually may negatively impact its ability to showcase true item values after the next, albeit final, patch.

Fair point but items that will be impacted by the next patch/already stuff like CoS make up a pretty slim percentage of overall items being sold. Maybe certain items could be excluded if possible.

I agree listing WTB's is a good idea. One of the things I really liked about P99 Auctions was the "raw auction data" tab where you could see how people actually auctioned things, like if they had an auction that said "Selling this 10k item for 5k for the next 10 minutes." Not something that's really common but it was still handy and I always checked that tab when looking items up.

But like I said, I have no idea how much time this shit takes.

Octavian
05-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Fair point but items that will be impacted by the next patch/already stuff like CoS make up a pretty slim percentage of overall items being sold. Maybe certain items could be excluded if possible.

True, especially since the next patch is the final time that is going to change. The CoS, however had nothing changed about it. It simply stopped dropping, which raised the price from 2k to 10-13k. Then, due to hording/gouging, it randomly more than doubled in the gougers auctions.

On the subject of the CoS, this item showcases another weakness of the P99 wiki; the "Circlet of Shadows" is often confused with the "Circlet of Shadow," leading the wiki for the pre-nerf to include listing of 200-300pp for the post-nerf version, which obviously messes up the average. There ought to be a system of flagging incorrect listings, including the ones where someone auctions an item for "1" instead of "1k" and then you have a 1pp listing majorly dragging the average down. Flagging inappropriate listings for removal may be the best way to keep that in check. This flagging system could also be a method where the community has the power to remove gouged prices, if enough people flag it as inappropriate. Perhaps that is one method that could help to fight against people who do that sort of thing. Then we could simply remove their listings from the pricing data and the average would still be reasonable.

This sort of thing would work, but would be a pretty massive undertaking requiring active "flagged listing" removal from amin(s) of the site. It's a starting point, but I think it is worth workshopping because gougers are really running rampant these days.

Chewboy
05-09-2018, 09:10 PM
To answer some of the other questions:

Where's the data coming from?

I wasn't sure if there would be enough demand for this sort of thing so I opted not to do the actual log uploader as trying to employ folks to use it sounds like a pain in the ass. People already use the one for ahungry and these days I don't play much p99, nor am I in the tunnel enough to use my own logs for data. The data is currently scraped from the ahungry site directly every couple of minutes so p99market is 100% reliant on ahungry not making major updates or blocking the ip of the machine doing the scraping. This is by far the largest pitfall of p99market.

That said, the auction parser that I've built is extremely robust and could easily parse the log data if I had direct access to it. I'd love to see a centralized log service that any p99 auction site could share. Maybe something that just shoves all logs into S3? just an idea.

I figured for now just scraping would be fine. The sad part about this is that while I could build a "live auction tracker" I feel as though it would be hijacking all of ahungry's work and claiming it as my own which I definitely do not want to do. Hopefully you can understand? Maybe if I got the okay from him I could implement a feature like that if he's not too mad that I'm scraping in the first place.

As far as the idea of a reportable system, I'd love to have something like that. I imagine it would require some level of manual intervention on my part as having an automated system probably isn't a safe bet. There are some definite challenges there, but I really like the idea.

I've also considered building a feature which allows a user to input a phone number and get a text the next time an item is being sold in their price range, but not sure if anyone would use that (or how much it would cost me).

Sorry for any typos, I'm mobile.

Chewboy
05-10-2018, 10:16 PM
Some suggestions. I would make the search box opaque once an item has been queried. Though the background image is sexy AF with it showing within the search field it can be kind of hard to read the info.

I went ahead and darkened the item info section a bit and changed the color on the grid lines of the graph so it's hopefully a bit more legible. Let me know if this is better.

Next feature will be the 'quick-glance' most recent auctions.

Octavian
05-10-2018, 10:51 PM
As far as the idea of a reportable system, I'd love to have something like that. I imagine it would require some level of manual intervention on my part as having an automated system probably isn't a safe bet. There are some definite challenges there, but I really like the idea.

If you're able to work up some type of petition-type system where admins can view a list of flagged posts, gather a few volunteers (like guides), could be feasible. I would happily volunteer some time to helping to deal with the flagged auctions. I'm sure others would as well. Just have to make sure whoever is an admin is a highly reputable player on the server.

I've also considered building a feature which allows a user to input a phone number and get a text the next time an item is being sold in their price range, but not sure if anyone would use that (or how much it would cost me).

This would be so damn cool. I love that you're thinking of innovating, rather than just pumping out another auction logger. Good on you, man.

Chewboy
05-11-2018, 12:43 AM
I would happily volunteer some time to helping to deal with the flagged auctions. I'm sure others would as well.

Thank you, It'll take some time to develop something like that as I don't have an admin portal or any sort of login/auth system at all at this point. I'll definitely keep you in mind for when/if I end up building something like that.

Also maybe consider adding the seller names/prices in plain text Wiki-style underneath the charts for quick glances without having to hover over each dot.

Done.

Chewboy
05-11-2018, 09:43 PM
bump

Octavian
05-11-2018, 09:45 PM
How tough to integrate is a "did you mean..." type of feature in case people misspell something or only know part of the item name?

Chewboy
05-12-2018, 12:55 PM
How tough to integrate is a "did you mean..." type of feature in case people misspell something or only know part of the item name?

I can give it a shot. Search is usually one of the more difficult problems to solve. Right now the search is my own home grown algorithm, which prioritizes full matches first followed by partial matches. You can see this in action when you type something like "wedding." It will match items that start with wedding followed by items that contain the word wedding in it. It will also try to match partial words like "iamond" will show you the results for diamond. The autocomplete I'd say it works fairly well, but you are right, nothing happens if you misspell something entirely, i.e. typing in 'rygorr' does not give you results for 'ry`gorr.'

Just now I looked into this a bit further and it looks like one of the features of the database I'm using is text indexing which can be used for search. I can play with that a bit and see if I can work up a 'did you mean?' section. It'd be so cool if you could type in ry`gorr armor without that stupid backtick and have it say "did you mean one of the following?" and have it list out 10 of the ry`gorr results.

Octavian
05-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Absolutely, there's so much of that crap in item names. Another cool feature would be a search of "fungi" suggesting "Fungus Covered Scale Tunic," and other such common names. For example, typing "CoS" could bring up Circlet of Shadow," etc. I know the wiki does that for some things. For example, if you type "ToV" on the wiki, Temple of Veeshan comes up. It's probably a matter of compiling a long list of redirects for the most common stuff. CoS, Fungi, CoF, etc... just spitballing since we're talking about an "ideal" kind of site.

Chewboy
05-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Absolutely, there's so much of that crap in item names. Another cool feature would be a search of "fungi" suggesting "Fungus Covered Scale Tunic," and other such common names. For example, typing "CoS" could bring up Circlet of Shadow," etc. I know the wiki does that for some things. For example, if you type "ToV" on the wiki, Temple of Veeshan comes up. It's probably a matter of compiling a long list of redirects for the most common stuff. CoS, Fungi, CoF, etc... just spitballing since we're talking about an "ideal" kind of site.

oh yeah. that's a good idea too. I'll look at adding some common acronyms next week.

Chewboy
05-13-2018, 11:46 AM
site looks awesome man, keep up the good work

Thank you very much. I'm happy to hear people are enjoying the site. Seems folks are using it a decent amount which is super cool too. Gives me motivation to keep working on it.

Gumbo
05-15-2018, 09:35 PM
Will the site have a live auction feed?

Diogene
05-15-2018, 11:09 PM
Awesome look and feel. Super simple to use. Love it

demokatt
05-16-2018, 12:51 AM
Regarding the log input from game, there must be enough computer geeks here to be able to setup one dedicated computer for this :-)

There was someone streaming ec tunnel all day long for exempel.. just gotta hide the char so noone kills it hehe

spoof2424
05-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Push

Burrito
05-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Oh god, please list dates Day/Month/Year.

Ya crazy yanks

Wonkie
05-18-2018, 08:40 PM
if an item has no data, i can "set the market"?

i will use this for evil

Chewboy
05-19-2018, 03:18 AM
Oh god, please list dates Day/Month/Year.

Ya crazy yanks

Maybe I'll put in a button for the europeans. To flippidy floppidty on the dates.

In any case. I added support for a couple of acronyms. Several beers deep right now and couldn't think of much more than this list. Let me know if you guys want to see other acronyms included:

acronyms = {
'gebs': 'golden efreeti boots',
'cos': 'cloak of shadows',
'cof': 'cloak of flames',
'fbr': 'flowing black robe',
'smr': 'shining metallic robes',
'fbss': 'flowing black silk sash'
}

Chewboy
05-20-2018, 03:59 PM

So, I thought the database I was using had an easy way to implement a fuzzy search. Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything any better than what I had already implemented, which was very sad news.

I did put in some extra work to add a 'did you mean' type of section. You can now see this when you search for 'rygorr' or something like 'dizok'. It's not very robust at the moment, but it's a start.

Let me know what you think. Also, if you guys have input on any acronym searches you want me to add. Let me know.

joppykid
06-12-2018, 08:20 AM
Very smooth interface.

Is there a character limit to a auctioneer's name? Several items I have been auctioning for several days don't have my name in there at all. Transfersaurus is the name.

Love the look tho!

BarackObooma
06-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Thanks for this. I just came back after a year+ absence and was really lost on prices. Ahungry doesn't seem to update very often and the other good auction site is apparently gone.

I was trying to find the spell Celestial Healing and it doesn't seem to be loaded in the database. It's not rare so I can't imagine no one selling it.

I would definitely like to see the WTB added as any item is only worth what someone is willing to pay and not what the seller wants (yeah you people trying to sell a pre-nerf COS for 25k can gtfo).

Chewboy
06-13-2018, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the bump.

Good news. More features are being actively worked on. albeit, slowly since I work a lot.

Very smooth interface.

Is there a character limit to a auctioneer's name? Several items I have been auctioning for several days don't have my name in there at all. Transfersaurus is the name.

Love the look tho!

What items were you selling? I can look into this.

and to the other guy asking about celestial healing. Thank you for pointing this out. I scraped the wiki for some 10,000 item names and stats. Looks like where I scraped from doesn't have some of those spells listed. I have to dig into this further and write a fix.

Thanks for the compliments and advice everyone. it's very cool to see the site getting a lot of usage.

Lobus
06-14-2018, 04:31 PM
Some items missing are:

Spell: Celestial Healing
Spell: Girdle of Karana
Spell: Aegis
Spell: Acumen
Spell: Quivering Veil of Xarn
Spell: Shroud of Hate
Spell: Enforced Reverence
Spell: Pillar of Flame
Firework: Phantom Fire

Chewboy
06-15-2018, 12:31 AM
Some items missing are:

Spell: Celestial Healing
Spell: Girdle of Karana
Spell: Aegis
Spell: Acumen
Spell: Quivering Veil of Xarn
Spell: Shroud of Hate
Spell: Enforced Reverence
Spell: Pillar of Flame
Firework: Phantom Fire

This is good. Thank you.

I realize my oversight now. All the items in the db came from this page (and all subsequent pages) of the wiki here: https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Items

Those pages don't list a lot of things like spells. This is actually kind of a problem because I need to figure out how to get all the spell names, weight of the spell scrolls, etc. etc. I think even the wiki doesn't show what's there when you right click the spell scrolls.

Definitely something that will require some thought. Any insight on how I can get this info would be welcome. Hopefully will be able to carve out some time next week to address this.

Speedi
06-15-2018, 01:21 AM
First off IGNORE ALL YHE NEGATIVE PEOPLE/HATERS

Second, very very good job man.

Lastly, you’re going to get some negative feedback from this because EC Tunnel fat cats do not like sites like this because they can’t price gouge. If I recall correctly the p99auctions site was took down because of those same fat cats ddos’n the site regular. Please keep that in mind when you read negative replies. Hopefully it’s still around whenever I feel like playing again.

With that said keep up the great work and thank you for the site.

Chewboy
06-15-2018, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the kind words Speedi.