PDA

View Full Version : Anti Bullying

azeth
03-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Casey "The Punisher" Heynes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv_oQ9EvIrM

Messianic
03-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Apparently the idiot school admins suspended both of them - not just the antagonizing kid. And they wonder why bullying is so prolific.

Let the freaking bullies get their @$$ kicked when people stop taking their crap, and you'll see it stop - I understand totally if they simply don't have good evidence about who started it or no reliable witnesses - but I would never suspend a kid for simply defending himself if I knew for certain he was just defending himself.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 08:14 AM
When hippies run your schools.

No dodgeball.
No choosing teams with two captains for any of your sports.
etc. etc.

Can't let kids find out they suck! They might...cry!

xshayla701
03-16-2011, 10:46 AM

No dodgeball.
etc. etc.

Why kids are so fucked up now imo

Messianic
03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Casey "The Punisher" Heynes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv_oQ9EvIrM

This video has been removed because its content violated YouTube's Terms of Service.

Doh

Rael
03-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Mirror

http://home.comcast.net/~nirvgorilla/bullygetsowned-redditorsarecorrupt.mp4

Omnimorph
03-16-2011, 11:54 AM

No dodgeball.
etc. etc.

Yeah it sucks for the kids who get picked last, but this has been a time-honoured tradition and is essential for character building.

apocalypsesmeep
03-16-2011, 12:02 PM
bullying is pretty serious, regardless of the form it takes. I don't think it builds character at all. It caused me severe depression from about 2nd to 7th grade. I don't know how that is useful in any way.

Hoggen
03-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Bullying just prepares you for the way the government is going to treat you for the rest of your life.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 12:28 PM
bullying is pretty serious, regardless of the form it takes. I don't think it builds character at all. It caused me severe depression from about 2nd to 7th grade. I don't know how that is useful in any way.

It prepared you for life.

Life isn't easy.

Stop pretending to your kids as they grow up that everything is fucking candyland and sunshine, all the time.

Ongbak
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM
I applauded that fat kid. He had a courage to defend himself. After that body slammed, that redhead boy going to think twice now before he bullying other kids.

apocalypsesmeep
03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
You're right, struggling through mental illness for my entire life and being on disability after a break down was definitely worth all that.

Akame
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
You might as well remove that remark Kaushi, to expect sense or consideration from this forum won't go well, you'd most likely only be mocked for it, (though I do sympathize for you).

Harrison
03-16-2011, 04:10 PM
You're right, struggling through mental illness for my entire life and being on disability after a break down was definitely worth all that.

Ever think maybe the problem was you and not the bullies?

Everyone is so quick to blame everyone for everything that you forgot the part where you were too weak to do anything about it, either mentally, or physically.

So now you blame bullies for you being mentally handicapped? Right.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Look, it's not like I'm sitting here laughing at people offing themselves because they were picked on.

But, let's face it...if it wasn't bullying, they were going to off themselves later in life for something else equally as laughably trivial.

Someone get the job they were aiming for, for months?
Car gets stolen?
Clearly the answer to these much more serious life issues is to kill yourself.

Let's be serious here. It's part of life. Get over it.

Lamierus
03-16-2011, 04:19 PM

Everyone is so quick to blame everyone for everything that you forgot the part where you were too weak to do anything about it, either mentally, or physically.

The bullies were only a catalyst for the chemical imbalances to take a better hold on him. He could not help that. Don't blame him for being disabled or feeling as if the bullies contributed. They did in fact contribute to make the onset sooner, rather than later. It would, however, have been possible to stave off the onset much longer without their interaction. There are actually a LOT of people living with mental disabilities that aren't fully aware of it, and it just takes some kind of nasty catalyst to create the onset and following breakdown. We all witness this happen almost every week with celebrities. They seem fine and all that, and suddenly break down after some major life change or extra media coverage on them due to something that happens in their life.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 04:21 PM
You supported my point.

There was already a problem. Whether then, or later, it was going to happen.

Life is not easy. Stop blaming everything else and learn some personal accountability. That alone will go a long way in alleviating life's difficulty.

If everyone else is to blame for everything that goes wrong, you will never find a solution.

Lamierus
03-16-2011, 04:31 PM
I supported it to a point, but the thing is that they don't have control over "personal accountability." I know quite a few of people with that kind of problem (I'm married to one), there is no alleviating life's difficulties for them. They have plenty of accountability, but they cannot control whether or not it is disabling to their everyday lives. They have a chemical imbalance that can only be somewhat controlled by modern medicine, but never cured. If anyone claims they are cured of mental disabilities, then I'd like to know how that was accomplished, as I'm guessing Hell go real cold. lol

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Bullying in schools takes many forms. The mild forms are what i'm assuming Harrison is disregarding as "shit you just need to deal with and get over." However, in many cases, systematic and pervasive bullying can basically ruin a person's childhood, and there is nothing the kid can do to make it change. The blame shouldn't be placed on the kids, obviously, nor even on the kids' parents, who are probably at fault to some degree for their kid not having friends or being "cool." Teachers need to make sure that school is an environment where bullying is harshly punished, so that kids that are different aren't being tortured while serving their time in the public school system.

Ihealyou
03-16-2011, 04:37 PM
So if you're bullied in 2nd grade and become depressed, its because you don't have personal responsibility and want everything in life to be great and go your way. Glad to know you're a complete douche. He was 8 years old.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 04:39 PM
So if you're bullied in 2nd grade and become depressed, its because you don't have personal responsibility and want everything in life to be great and go your way. Glad to know you're a complete douche. He was 8 years old.

New at 11!

Life is not easy. Tune in to be reminded at 11. Brought to you by common sense for babies.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Glad to know you're a complete douche. He was 8 years old.

Took you this long to figure out that hes a complete douche? The guy posts all the time and not once have I ever heard him say anything even remotely funny, clever, insightful, or interesting. Then again, he's a fuzzy little dude that wears Affliction (tm) tees. Continue the tagging and he will leave. Hopefully.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Actions aren't anyone's responsibility except the perpetrator.

This is the only part of your entire post that made sense.

You still didn't grasp the simple concept though. I'm not really surprised. You're obviously too biased to think this through without frothing at the mouth in bitter anger.

You were bullied in school. So were billions of humans over thousands of years, get over it.

Ihealyou
03-16-2011, 04:55 PM
New at 11!

Life is not easy. Tune in to be reminded at 11. Brought to you by common sense for babies.

11 is past my bed time. Maybe you can just remind me now since you seem to have it figured out.

Ennoia
03-16-2011, 04:58 PM
I got bullied a lot in elementary school because 8 year olds doing high school level science projects for fun weren't exactly the 'in' thing. Didn't really have any friends, spent all my time by myself, had 1 birthday party where like 3 people showed up. Middle school rolled around and name calling and not letting me play at recess turned to getting food thrown at me and people starting rumors about me. It continued through my Freshman and Sophomore years of high school until I had just gotten sick of it. I went from being the guy everyone picked on to the guy no one would dare ever cross. Good for the kid that stood up for himself. Unfortunately it leads to people like Harrison who want to play internet tough guy.

Rilkean
03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
This is the only part of your entire post that made sense.

You still didn't grasp the simple concept though. I'm not really surprised. You're obviously too biased to think this through without frothing at the mouth in bitter anger.

You were bullied in school. So were billions of humans over thousands of years, get over it.

I may have been made fun of but apparently my reading comprehension is >>> yours for it. ... am I really this bored?

Haha Ennoia. I was just thinking that Harrison probably got picked on.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Good for the kid that stood up for himself. Unfortunately it leads to people like Harrison who want to play internet tough guy.

I was the one defending those being bullied, but awesome way to assume the exact opposite.

My stance on this subject changes in no way because I have a propensity to defend those weaker than I. That's a survival instinct most people are born with and ends up suppressed these days for various reasons. Kids are suspended for defending themselves now. That's more of a problem than bullying ever was. Did anyone stand up for you?

You even said yourself you learned to stand up for yourself. What would you have done were you never bullied? You'd probably be a weak-willed pussy as an adult, incapable of handling life's hardships, or at least some of them.

This recent bullshit about bullying pisses me off. Billboards on it even...fucking billboards. Pathetic and disgusting...

JayDee
03-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Kid thought he was light on his feet like muhammad ali. Looks like whomever taught him how to fight forgot one important thing.

NEVER turn your back on your opponent.

Pico
03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
My stance on this subject changes in no way because I have a propensity to defend those weaker than I.

lol

Pico
03-16-2011, 05:11 PM
does that propensity include being a fake medic?

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Where are all Harrisons friends and people that agree with him? Oh wait...

Harrison
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
I can assure you they're not crying about how they got picked on when they were younger, that's for sure.

Is there a support group you bitches can join, or is this your only outlet?

Harrison
03-16-2011, 05:15 PM
This is far more entertaining than grinding honor for more gear.

Pico
03-16-2011, 05:16 PM
hey I thought you were going to defend us that are weaker than you?? :( now you're just being a bully

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah, cos they don't exist. You realize that what you are saying is that children should never be prevented from emotionally and physically attacking other children, right? Ayn Rand daycare open for business!

Rilkean
03-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Ayn Rand daycare open for business!

R O F L

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Can we move this to R+F so it can turn into another thread where we can just rip on Harrison's uneducated ass? (Though I am glad that at least I got him to stop talking about dicks in ever other post.)

Harrison
03-16-2011, 05:24 PM
You clearly have some unfounded sense of importance if you think you have done anything to change my posts lmfao

Get over yourself, moron.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I calls em like i sees em.

Sorn
03-16-2011, 05:26 PM
That kid got owned. I've never seen someone thrown hard enough at the ground that they bounced off pavement.

stormlord
03-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Maybe bullies need the bullied just as much as the bullied need the bullies.

kinuven
03-16-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm Zangief

stormlord
03-16-2011, 05:40 PM
I can assure you they're not crying about how they got picked on when they were younger, that's for sure.

Is there a support group you bitches can join, or is this your only outlet?If you want to be taken seriously don't make posts like that.

But... the posts you have made, on average, make some good points. We don't want a society of people who can't walk on their two feet, who can't do anything in life because they're too weak-willed or fearful. So some friction is good because it builds resilience. On the other hand, too much friction can kill or harm. Not everybody has the same tolerance for friction. We have to find a middle-ground and there'll always be exceptions to the rule. The balance is almost always somewhere in between, though. I think it's a mixture of both humility and reservation and self-confidence and toughness. Nobody can go through life being a jerk and stepping on everyone else. Nobody can go through life locked up inside themselves or too afraid to do the simplest activity. So when trying to understand this issue we need to be wary of the extremes and try to find a balance.

There're lots of walls I can't break down and yet many break them down every day without breaking a sweat. I admire that. I don't want to be weak. I don't want to be afraid of walls or left to simmer in my anxieties. I have some sympathy for people who can't break down walls. Sometimes I get angry at others who can't break down their walls because I see it as pathetic and self-destructive, but then I put the spotlight on myself and am reminded of my own failings. Anger rarely achieves its intended affect unless we're already most of the way to doing what we need to do. Screaming at someone with angry words helps not if they're not already most of the way there. If they can't get angry themselves to get them over the last few hurdles, then packing on more of it probably won't help. So the best we can do is help them better understand what they're afraid of and how it's not threatening to them. Help em to figure how how to overcome it and win. Win one for humanity.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
If you want to be taken seriously don't make posts like that.

But... the posts you have made, on average, make some good points. We don't want a society of people who can't walk on their two feet, who can't do anything in life because they're too weak-willed or fearful. So some friction is good because it builds resilience. On the other hand, too much friction can kill or harm. Not everybody has the same tolerance for friction. We have to find a middle-ground and there'll always be exceptions to the rule. The balance is almost always somewhere in between, though. I think it's a mixture of both humility and soberness and self-confidence and toughness. Nobody can go through life being a jerk and stepping on everyone else. Nobody can go through life locked up inside themselves or too afraid to do the simplest activity. So when trying to understand this issue we need to be wary of the extremes and try to find a balance.

One person out of how many in this thread gets the point?

That's pretty bad, guys.

Pico
03-16-2011, 05:44 PM
One person out of how many in this thread gets the point?

That's pretty bad, guys.

Ever think maybe the problem was you

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Nobody can go through life being a jerk and stepping on everyone else.

Yes they can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b7mwTK564o

Ennoia
03-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I was the one defending those being bullied, but awesome way to assume the exact opposite.

My stance on this subject changes in no way because I have a propensity to defend those weaker than I. That's a survival instinct most people are born with and ends up suppressed these days for various reasons. Kids are suspended for defending themselves now. That's more of a problem than bullying ever was. Did anyone stand up for you?

You even said yourself you learned to stand up for yourself. What would you have done were you never bullied? You'd probably be a weak-willed pussy as an adult, incapable of handling life's hardships, or at least some of them.

This recent bullshit about bullying pisses me off. Billboards on it even...fucking billboards. Pathetic and disgusting...

Actually I'd have continued being a nerd and ended up going to college to land a job making more money than God. Instead? Chicks were finally willing to take their clothes off in front of me and I stopped caring about everything else. It's ok though, the fact that you have to have a picture of yourself with a firearm as your avatar just shows how insecure you are as a human being. Don't try to deny it, you'll just make yourself look like more of a jackass (if that's even possible). Remember, guns don't kill people, losers who try to act cool on the internet and pretend they don't care what people think about them do.

I do have to agree though that the punishment for simply getting into a fight at school is fucking retarded. Yea...let's have the kids who need to learn to behave the most just not be allowed in a structured environment so they can learn fuck all about getting along with others.

Also, Rilkean, call me.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Actually I'd have continued being a nerd and ended up going to college to land a job making more money than God. Instead? Chicks were finally willing to take their clothes off in front of me and I stopped caring about everything else. It's ok though, the fact that you have to have a picture of yourself with a firearm as your avatar just shows how insecure you are as a human being. Don't try to deny it, you'll just make yourself look like more of a jackass (if that's even possible). Remember, guns don't kill people, losers who try to act cool on the internet and pretend they don't care what people think about them do.

I do have to agree though that the punishment for simply getting into a fight at school is fucking retarded. Yea...let's have the kids who need to learn to behave the most just not be allowed in a structured environment so they can learn fuck all about getting along with others.

Also, Rilkean, call me.

Oh, please tell me more forum-Freud. I am in need of another psychobabble breakdown from someone who can't get over the fact they were picked on in high school and still bitch about it as an adult.

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Only thing you need to know: he posted a picture of himself sporting an Affliction(tm) tee. Literally everyone who dresses like that has an iq under 90 and is a horrible person.

Harrison
03-16-2011, 06:49 PM
No idea what an Affliction tee is, but that shirt was a Christmas present I wore probably a handful of times before I stopped wearing it.

Also, I'd like to hear more of your method of extracting IQ from clothing trends. My interest is piqued!

kinuven
03-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Harrison,

Sign on PSN soon and help me get marathon pro.. It's so hard.

Kinuvin

Rilkean
03-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Lol I googled that T shirt, p. bad. Looks like the tribal tattoo of shirts.

yaeger
03-16-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm gonna go devil's advocate and say that we need bullies in the schools.

In an age where less and less children are physically active it's important let them overcome the challenge on their own.

Like any of the other social habits that these kids are developing and experimenting with they need to learn how they can deal with abuse of any type. Accepting that they're always a victim, a punching bag for the strong, is idiotic.

They don't need to be taught that bullying is wrong, that they're a victim, and that they have some obscure mental disorder because they've never figured it out somehow. Bullying isn't going to go away in schools, it's not going away in adult life, and not on a larger scale internationally. Get used to it, understand what you can do to stop it, and stop bitching about how 'unfair' it is.

dredge
03-16-2011, 09:41 PM

DetroitVelvetSmooth
03-16-2011, 09:47 PM
it's not going away in adult life

Whut? When's the last time you saw bullying in adult life? Adult bullies are called criminals and end up in jail. A friend of mine was getting shit from some musclehead in a bar. He purposefully provoked the guy by calling him out on being a prick. Everyone laughed at the guy. The guy punched him. Now the guy pays part of his paycheck to my buddy every month. Way to go, bully.
Bullying of the type we are talking about is between children, who should not have to be responsible for protecting themselves against systematic and malicious attacks.

yaeger
03-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Bullying of the type we are talking about is between children, who should not have to be responsible for protecting themselves against systematic and malicious attacks.

Whatever you might think, kids aren't stupid. They know that they're hurting other people, they enjoy being mean, they love to gain social status by picking on other kids.

This isn't just bullies, this is bullying behavior prevalent among all the different social circles. EVERYONE should be held responsible for their behavior, and EVERYONE should learn about how to deal with it. Sometimes physical violence is an acceptable answer to bullying.

We're always told that violence never solves anything. I'd say that historically violence has solved disagreements pretty well. That's why it's been so effective and so widely used, even to this day.

Messianic
03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Whut? When's the last time you saw bullying in adult life?

Nearly every day, but in subtle ways - extreme tailgating or offensive driving, gossiping about people behind their back to make everyone think less of them, my upstairs neighbor stomping his feet and making my ceiling fan swing all over the place because I called the complex courtesy officer on him for blasting his bass and loud music at 10pm on a weeknight...

Could go on, but bullying exists in ways that aren't technically illegal...

KilyenaMage
03-16-2011, 10:14 PM

I'd love to kick your fucking teeth in.

I'm guessing you're a loser RL or you wouldn't be trolling forums putting people down all day like you do.

Toehammer
03-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Hmmm, in no way am I defending Harrison or advocating some of his over-the-top comments, but it sounds like he is getting grief for things he has said in the past more than what he has said in this thread. He and Yaegar are actually making some of the best points in the thread.

One problem with everyone here is they are talking about different forms of bullying. For guys, getting bullied by another guy is a pretty easy situation to handle; if someone hits you, hit them back 10x harder... that is THE best way to handle male/male bullying. You must become Casey "The Punisher Haynes".

Girl vs girl bullying is much more of the torment variety and for that I have no real perspective, but in general you also need to find a way to "hit" back 10x harder.

I have talked with Kaushi before many times and she was bullied by boys. That is completely different, and in my opinion, is the only real bullying that schools should have zero tolerance for.

However, the basic premise that Harrison and yaegar are advocating is that at some point, in life, at your job, in elementary school, you will be either physically (predominantly guy/guy) or emotionally (predominantly girl/girl) and you MUST learn to stand up for yourself. That's it. It may be hard, but there is always a way. Bullying becomes less severe as we grow older ONLY because the majority of adults learn how to deal with it or snuff it out themselves sometime as children. However, zero tolerance type policies will only create more kids who take longer to mature into confident and strong adults.

Getting rid of dodgeball is BAD... banning "picking teams" in gym is bad. Gym class, schoolyard scuffles, being teased/made fun of are part of growing up. The more we as adults try to stamp them out, as a society, the more physically, mentally, and emotionally weak we will become in the future.

The world can chew you up and spit you out... you gotta learn resilience at some point, and the younger the better. The whole "kids being kids" thing is funny too, because as yaegar said, kids are not stupid and we do them a disservice by pampering them. Kids also who stand up to bullies often become friends with them. Watch children and they are like a walking and breathing depiction of the wild. You must earn respect, and this whole "you should just respect people" like it is an innate right is something very bizarre. You should all go read Lord of the Flies again. I used to work with children in a sleepaway summer camp setting, and the main thing is that they all wanna hang out and have a good time, sometimes there are displays of dominance and feather ruffling, but in the end kids really DO want to like eachother, but drawing lines in the sand can be counterproductive. Kids are way smarter than we give them credit for, sometimes just watching what is happening, stepping in when it gets REALLY ridiculous is ok... but let the kids be kids.

-Ghwerig
TANK SHAMAN!

Hasbinbad
03-17-2011, 04:07 AM
AMERIKA!! FUKK YEAH!!
Your perspective is limited to the point of comedy dude. What you suggest might have worked well in 1956, before This became a litigious society, but in today's world, should a kid put another kid in the hospital, it is likely they will enter the criminal justice system and end up paying for that for a large portion of their life. Not only that, but you forget the fundamental fact that most kids who are bullied are bullied because they are smaller and weaker than the bully or bullies who are attacking them. The only chance a kid like that would have is a weapon, which, as noted above, will probably only get them incarcerated in the real world. I personally was the victim of bullying in grade school, and I ended up doing what you suggest, but I am a big guy, and was able to actually handle myself. I would hate to have been small, and less able to defend myself. ..and before you start blathering about how "if you just hit them hard and fast enough you will make them cry," the bullies i had to deal with were inner city child-thugs, who probably would have shot me had they been just a couple years older.

Violence only begets violence, which only begets grief and suffering for everyone involved. Civilization is one tool that mankind has developed to end senseless violence, and every step we can take to go further down that road is a step in the right direction.

Pacifism wins. Ask the followers of Ghandi, who were so recently a destitute 3rd world shithole, now on the verge of being the world's 3rd or 4th richest and most industrious power. Had any job offers lately?

I'm not saying that people should not defend themselves, but it is completely ludicrous for anyone to say that the powers that be in the relevant systems should not do everything in their power to stop violence - physical, mental, or emotional - from being visited on children by mean and/or older children, and you - and everyone else here doing so - should be fucking ashamed of yourselves. You are horrible people.

abegedun
03-17-2011, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the shutting the fuck up harrison.

ukaking
03-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Lets all chug on over to mamby pamby land now!! Sorry had to say it...

Messianic
03-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Your perspective is limited to the point of comedy dude. What you suggest might have worked well in 1956, before This became a litigious society, but in today's world, should a kid put another kid in the hospital, it is likely they will enter the criminal justice system and end up paying for that for a large portion of their life. Not only that, but you forget the fundamental fact that most kids who are bullied are bullied because they are smaller and weaker than the bully or bullies who are attacking them. The only chance a kid like that would have is a weapon, which, as noted above, will probably only get them incarcerated in the real world. I personally was the victim of bullying in grade school, and I ended up doing what you suggest, but I am a big guy, and was able to actually handle myself. I would hate to have been small, and less able to defend myself. ..and before you start blathering about how "if you just hit them hard and fast enough you will make them cry," the bullies i had to deal with were inner city child-thugs, who probably would have shot me had they been just a couple years older.

Violence only begets violence, which only begets grief and suffering for everyone involved. Civilization is one tool that mankind has developed to end senseless violence, and every step we can take to go further down that road is a step in the right direction.

Pacifism wins. Ask the followers of Ghandi, who were so recently a destitute 3rd world shithole, now on the verge of being the world's 3rd or 4th richest and most industrious power. Had any job offers lately?

I'm not saying that people should not defend themselves, but it is completely ludicrous for anyone to say that the powers that be in the relevant systems should not do everything in their power to stop violence - physical, mental, or emotional - from being visited on children by mean and/or older children, and you - and everyone else here doing so - should be fucking ashamed of yourselves. You are horrible people.

I think there's an assumption that violence is the only way to "deal with" bullies other than having teachers/school admins/etc enforce hardnosed, silly rules about it.

I also don't think violence always begets violence - there are retaliatory actions which are in measure, and there are some which are not in measure. Casey Heynes' retaliation was in measure. The Columbine Shooters' was not.

There's nothing wrong with defending yourself physically after violence has already been done to you - although it's not always the best course of action. Kids shouldn't be penalized if they actually responded appropriately, which I think Casey Heynes did. He didn't kick the living crap out of the kid, or kick him in the ribs when he was down, or jump on top of him and start beating him - he gave him one swift retaliation, and then walked off.

It is healthy for kids to get the idea early on that there are people who want to be mean for their own stupid pleasures or to satisfy themselves. You have to have the individual fortitude to physically fight back if you're physically attacked (within parameters of the rules), but also to develop the mental fortitude to deal with insults - and not necessarily physically. See RnF. If you can't deal with people treating you badly without going postal or crying to authorities because someone called you a poopie head, stay off the internet - you probably need psychological help.

However, it's ridiculous to say that school admins and authorities shouldn't be involved at certain levels of bullying.

There are lines - hacking into someone's myspace account and posting all kinds of demeaning crap, photo-shopping pictures and passing them around school, following someone after school, etc. If a kid has no means of resolving the situation, he does need those in charge of him to step up and be there.

Teaching kids to escalate verbal disputes or insults into physical ones would be entirely the wrong message - but when you're Casey Heynes, an overweight but peaceful kid who gets harassed by some scrawny kid who punches you in the face and won't leave you alone, you body slam that kid and show him that the instant you use violence against me, i'll respond accordingly. I won't go too far - but I won't take your crap forever.

If a kid simply isn't strong enough to retaliate - He has to find other ways of dealing with it, and if he's 70 pounds and his bully is 140 and severely athletic, he simply has no other option other than authorities. There's no shame in that - you have to protect yourself somehow, and any School admins who know this is happening and don't do something to stop it are absolutely negligent. They shouldn't do nothing because "They dealt with it when they were growing up."

Also, the Gandhi method only works if your opponent has a conscience. Yes, turn the other cheek - but eventually you run out of cheeks to turn.

As Bertrand Russell said: "It is doubtful that the method of Mahatma Gandhi would have succeeded except that he was appealing to the conscience of a Christianized people."

Messianic
03-17-2011, 10:13 AM
Oh, and this tag: "zangief = owns"

Awesome. LOL

Toehammer
03-17-2011, 11:37 AM

It is funny, because I get the sense that you read only what you wanted to in my post. To say that pacifism wins is completely retarded. One reason Gandhi "won" is because he had strength in numbers. Similarly, if you are weaker, you need numbers sometimes to overcome single bullies. To summarize my post as "amerikka fukk yeah" is also retarded. Please try to argue actual points. How did pacifism work for Eastern Europe during their appeasement of Hitler? If people like you were in charge we would all be speaking German right now.

I clearly said in my post that adults need to step in when it gets "really ridiculous". But you must have just missed that. If you think that there should be zero tolerance for any sort of physicality (that is really what you are stabbing at) then you are extremely shortsighted. You really are.

I myself was bullied too, but it never got too bad because I had an older brother (4 year difference) who always beat the shit out of me and I learned how to stand up to bullies. I am telling you my opinion from experience. I WAS small, unlike you at one point and I could still handle myself because at a YOUNG age I understood that the only way to get through to some bullies is through lighting them up. What Casey did was perfect, that is the 10x harder I was talking about. One and done. Granted I grew from 5'4" to 6' between sophomore and junior year and am now about 6'2"... but I learned when I was small to defend myself.

Also, to answer your question, yes, just landed an NRC postdoc in physics been there about 6 months now . Why are you trying to attack the person and not the issues?

Yeah, some circumstances are tough to navigate with bullies, if there really is a possibility of a weapon involved. But one point I was trying to get forth, maybe implied too much, was that the EXTREME protecting of kids, from black eyes, skinned knees, etc. will make kids grow up to be weaker. You say you think people should defend themselves but then go into a Gandhi (that is how it is spelled by the way) rant on pacifism. You do release that Gandhi was not in favor of any sort of violent resistance. Within that philosophy you would let someone beat you until their hands hurt. Also, the "litigious" society is a problem. Gimme 3 million for my McDonald's coffee burn. Have you lived in other countries? Ever lived in Japan, France, Tunisia? I have. People (well maybe not France) laugh at the pansy litigious society we have become.

Aww dang, I can't deal with you anymore. You have some valid points (weapons for example), but your clarity is dwarfed by by your overpowering seething anger. Maybe your clarity should hit your anger back 10x harder? Oh no wait, according to you that would only make things worse. I like your style, but don't rage so much.

Seaweedpimp
03-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Un ban harrison so we can all post our cocks and laugh while we beat his with our enormous cocks.

Edit: No homo

casdegere
03-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm not going to get all into this "Gandhi" discussion as I believe it to be completely unrelated as are the remarks about World War II to assist in explaining grade school bullying. These things are completely unrelated and the reasons are many.

What is related is that what is being suggested is that today's kids do not always have the "tools" to deal with bullying. It is true that I believe children in general are being coddled WAY to much. I am a parent and I have gone to Parent/Teacher conferences where parents are defending their child's poor performance. Not stupid children, lazy, uninterested children. Children with a deep sense of entitlement. Those that get rewarded for doing nothing on a regular basis, including failure. Likewise there are also, uninterested teachers and faculty. Those that are approached by a child who claims to have been hit or knocked down and simply berate the child for "taddling" or starting trouble. I grew up in an inner city school and I was not a fighter. I was however...a runner. When I was faced with this kind of thing and I could run...I did. When I couldn't I either took the bullying and in one instance, I bull-rushed one of the bullies, knocking him down, stepped on him and made a quick get-a-way. Its very rarely 1 on 1 where leverage to bully is weakest.

Not once did I feel like taking a knife or a gun to these bullies afterward. Though such a thing today is being considered in the minds of our youths faced with such difficulties. It is here, this place inside a child's head where the problem is. No patience, no confidence, no communication skills. Apathy to others facing similar problems. A mental disconnect with their environment with a strong desire for the suffering to end and turning to another to end it for them. Or internalize it until they lash out in some overt, violent manner compounded by their anger that the issue isn't being handled for them.

Now however, there is also virtual bullying where the solution can be complex. Litigation or violence? Some people do not respond to threats of action. I should say...some people's parents. That's because the damaged child's parents call up their lawyer before they head over to speak to the parents where in most cases, threats or action are not required.

As a parent the first thing I would do is take my daughters computer and phone away. Give her access on the families computer, restricting access to facebook etc. and issue her a pay as you go phone for the time being. Contact the school and schedule a meeting and bring evidence. (Pictures, statements, whatever) And have a sit down. In most cases however, it takes two to tango though the highlighted cases on the news would have you believe otherwise. These things however, take time and effort, something my child is most definitely worth.

These are actions of responsible parents, not contacting the news, glorifying the incident, ignoring your child's troubles or committing violent acts against someone.

Pico
03-17-2011, 03:44 PM
If you think that there should be zero tolerance for any sort of physicality (that is really what you are stabbing at) then you are extremely shortsighted. You really are.

Schools should never, ever tacitly condone violence in any situation.

And your experiences don't really matter because for every one of you there are a bunch of kids even physically weaker and less mentally incapable of standing up for themselves. Those are the kids bullies target. And if you think constant torment and harassment is somehow good for that child's development you are seriously insane.

Pico
03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
Also, no one in this thread is making the world out to be some flowers and sunshine happy place. No one has even said that's a realistic goal that can be achieved if we only stopped bullying.

The world is a nasty place, but this is something we typically learn slowly as we enter adulthood, and we can therefore adapt accordingly. It's a lot harder though for a child to adapt if he's enduring constant bullying when he's 12 years old. If that fucks him up for the rest of his life and you claim that makes him a weak person, well I don't really know what to say to you. Maybe learn a little empathy?

Should we just forget about the plight of child soldiers because hey, the world's a terrible place! It's best those 8 year olds with AK-47s learn that while they're young!

Abacab "The REAL truth"
03-17-2011, 04:54 PM
I teach 1st graders Krav Maga so when they confront a bully they know to begin with a groin kick and eye gouge combo

SlankyLanky
03-17-2011, 04:55 PM
carry a knife. problem solved.

Daldolma
03-17-2011, 08:01 PM
This whole retarded debate started with the fact that school admins suspended both students.

It was entirely the correct decision. They're not in fucking high school. It's not like the suspension matters. It's not going to effect him in any way. It's not punitive. It does, however, give him a chance to go home and let things blow over before coming back to school. If he went back to school the next day, there'd be a shit storm. All the friends of the tiny kid would be all over him. It just creates unnecessary drama. He was in a fight, he gets suspended. Period. It's the right call.

I'd be shocked if the school administrators didn't admonish the parents of the little kid while telling the parents of the big guy that it was a precautionary, blanket measure.

There's also the possibility that they didn't see the video before making the decision, in which case, no matter who started it, your inclination is going to be to question the kid that is twice as big and won the fight.

Toehammer
03-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Schools should never, ever tacitly condone violence in any situation.

And your experiences don't really matter because for every one of you there are a bunch of kids even physically weaker and less mentally incapable of standing up for themselves. Those are the kids bullies target. And if you think constant torment and harassment is somehow good for that child's development you are seriously insane.

/sigh

You are misreading what I am saying... never did I ever say that schools should condone violence, ever. Don't take what I am saying out of context. My main argument is that it is ok to teach a bully a lesson, within reason. I word my phrases carefully (physicality instead of violence, where you misquoted me), however you still take it out of context. If the bully keeps coming at you, like the original movie showed, it is completely fine to react the way the kid did. Should he have let the little tool keep punching him, or turned his back to him and ran after a teacher, or just curl up in a ball and suck his thumb? A school should not condone any violence, however self-defense is fine. That is all I am really saying. Some times self-defense is a bit violent, but as soon as someone infringes on your safety/comfort, it is ok to lash back reasonably.

I don't think constant torment and harassment is good for a child's development. I do think the strongest adults have learned to deal with difficulties earlier in life. Sometimes that just so happens to come from standing up to bullying. Of course I would say run away from a bully if you can manage. However if the bullying persists and you are backed in the corner (as was shown originally), you gotta fight back. If you can not see the moderation in my post, please read again.

Toehammer
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
This whole retarded debate started with the fact that school admins suspended both students.

It was entirely the correct decision. They're not in fucking high school. It's not like the suspension matters. It's not going to effect him in any way. It's not punitive. It does, however, give him a chance to go home and let things blow over before coming back to school. If he went back to school the next day, there'd be a shit storm. All the friends of the tiny kid would be all over him. It just creates unnecessary drama. He was in a fight, he gets suspended. Period. It's the right call.

I'd be shocked if the school administrators didn't admonish the parents of the little kid while telling the parents of the big guy that it was a precautionary, blanket measure.

There's also the possibility that they didn't see the video before making the decision, in which case, no matter who started it, your inclination is going to be to question the kid that is twice as big and won the fight.

Well put. I think suspending both kids is a good choice, like you said, as a precaution for their safety. However, if the kid is really suing Casey Heynes like is being suggested, that is just sad.

Bodeanicus
03-17-2011, 08:39 PM
The response by the school administration was the correct one. Physical violence is not to be tolerated on school grounds. You can't punish one and not the other when both are guilty. Welcome to the real world where noting is fair. What most of you are glossing over is the little kid (aggressor) was suspended for a much longer term than the big kid. The punishment is appropriate.

Ennoia
03-17-2011, 08:56 PM
carry a knife. problem solved.

That makes you almost as much of a tool as Harrison. Stun gun...pepper spray...same effect (getting an attacker away from you) but doesn't make you look like a total jackass. People who carry guns and knives are usually the kinds of people who don't know when to keep their mouths shut or go looking for trouble.

Even if a verbal issue in say, a bar fight scenario, doesn't escalate to physical violence, as soon as your stupid ass pulls out that knife to try to intimidate the guy giving you a hard time he has every right to bash your fucking skull in because you're threatening him with a weapon. Once a weapon is brought into it fight or flight kicks in and someone usually ends up doing something they regret.

A few years ago that exact scenario happened to me. Was in a bar with some friends,one of them saw this chick he went to high school with so they went outside (in a wide open parking lot) to have a smoke and catch up. Time got away from them and the chick's boyfriend flipped out. He and his friends got in my friend's face and started shouting at him (mind you, my friend is a 6'3" martial arts instructor). My other friends saw it and being the idiots they are (and the reason I don't talk to them anymore) one of them pulls out a knife and the other smashes a beer bottle on the counter. So now it's gone from one guy trying to explain exactly what was going on to me and my friend trying to keep these 6 guys from (rightfully) jumping these other 2 idiots who decided to bring weapons into it.

Is it ever worth someone possibly getting killed over a fucking misunderstanding? No, never. Go buy some fucking pepper spray and stop being a fucking idiot.

Henini
03-18-2011, 12:04 AM
way late in the thread, but that little bitch going after the big guy... he deserved it and a whole lot more.

the principal that suspended him... needs to get fired. he's got issues. perhaps he was bullied as a kid and never had the courage to stand up for him self like the fat kid did and now he's not happy. spineless bastard.

they got it filmed... it's not hearsay. the lil kid clearly puched him in the face twice unprovoked.

What message are you sending? if someone punches you in the face repeatedly just stand there and get beaten... seriously? mybe that principal needs to get a few shots in the face him self.

Henini
03-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Is it ever worth someone possibly getting killed over a fucking misunderstanding? No, never. Go buy some fucking pepper spray and stop being a fucking idiot.

I say let retards kill each other. more chicks for me!

Abacab "The REAL truth"
03-18-2011, 12:44 AM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190499_10150216140773569_546318568_8818193_2873290 _n.jpg

Gorgetrapper
03-18-2011, 03:45 AM
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190499_10150216140773569_546318568_8818193_2873290 _n.jpg

Love it

Rilkean
03-18-2011, 06:49 AM

Wrong game loser. Zangief from SF is so much more accurate.

azeth
03-18-2011, 07:38 AM
good job on this thread guys. great job.

SlankyLanky
03-18-2011, 02:11 PM
That makes you almost as much of a tool as Harrison. Stun gun...pepper spray...same effect (getting an attacker away from you) but doesn't make you look like a total jackass. People who carry guns and knives are usually the kinds of people who don't know when to keep their mouths shut or go looking for trouble.

Even if a verbal issue in say, a bar fight scenario, doesn't escalate to physical violence, as soon as your stupid ass pulls out that knife to try to intimidate the guy giving you a hard time he has every right to bash your fucking skull in because you're threatening him with a weapon. Once a weapon is brought into it fight or flight kicks in and someone usually ends up doing something they regret.

A few years ago that exact scenario happened to me. Was in a bar with some friends,one of them saw this chick he went to high school with so they went outside (in a wide open parking lot) to have a smoke and catch up. Time got away from them and the chick's boyfriend flipped out. He and his friends got in my friend's face and started shouting at him (mind you, my friend is a 6'3" martial arts instructor). My other friends saw it and being the idiots they are (and the reason I don't talk to them anymore) one of them pulls out a knife and the other smashes a beer bottle on the counter. So now it's gone from one guy trying to explain exactly what was going on to me and my friend trying to keep these 6 guys from (rightfully) jumping these other 2 idiots who decided to bring weapons into it.

carry a bigger knife.

Harrison
03-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Pacifism wins.

Says the guy wishing death upon every U.S. servicemember?

You're a joke and so is your belief.

Massive Marc
03-24-2011, 12:18 PM
LOL at a internet thread full of people that got bullied in school. The first time anybody "attempted" to bully me, I punched them in the throat and kicked their ass.