PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Klicknick beetle run speed

skarlorn
04-06-2018, 01:50 PM
This is probably working as intended, but I just wanted to raise a card in case it's not.

The klicknick and fire beetles in Qeynos noob yard run slower than other NPCs.

I was swarming on a level 4 bard yesterday and noticed that skeletons, bats, and snakes were always ahead of the beetle pack. The bats et al were running at the run speed we all know and love - slightly faster than holding forward as a PC - enough to hit your back once in a while - and slow enough that strafing will slightly outpace.

I don't even have to strafe to outpace the beetles, making them extremely easy kite targets.

I have encountered NPCs with inherent SoW, like wolves, rhinos, NPCs that cast SoW, but I have never encountered NPCs who run slower than the usual NPC run speed until now.

This is clearly a HUGE problem if not intentional

Videri
04-06-2018, 03:22 PM
North Karana beetles are similarly slow. I think it’s intended.

Also, part of the reason NPCs can sometimes hit your back is that if your back is facing directly toward an NPC, it can hit you from further away. When you start strafing, your back no longer faces the NPC (slight angle) and it no longer receives the range boost. This can probably be verified by rooting an NPC, stepping just outside of combat range, and rotating slowly.