PDA

View Full Version : New Auction Website (BETA)

p99auct
03-14-2018, 10:09 PM
Heya guys finally returned back to p99 and have added a new auction website http://p99auct.com :cool:

Please be mindful this is a 3 day build beta and new featured will come in time. Also site might not load properly at time as i am constantly adding updates. Will start a dev server soon anoth. TY and enjoy!

Have seen several especially ahungry and miss the old version like im sure most of you do. This will be under development for the new few weeks but plan on introduction item database access. Please send tell for any bugs or any ideas you might like to have.

Site is live feed and updated within 3-4 seconds. Will introduce max listing cap later on but for now if there is to much loaded just refresh the pages. When clicking item to display info, double click to close the windows/div.

This is only in beta and very crude for a 3 days design but hope to get input to add more. Server will not include ads of any type as i own them and dont need reimbursement for anything.

Also seeking front end help if desired with basic design if your good at graphics that would be awsome! I plan to keep the feed very simple and all extra features on different pages.

Features Planned.

Race/Class/Level/Slot item searchs, build like allakhazam.
Click on link like EQ (floats item information for your search)
Item Monitor (sends email/SMS text message) when seen in auction.
Including Spell Detailed information in spell links (dmg per lvl/tick, mana, ect ect.)

Pope Hat
03-15-2018, 08:48 AM
/dance

Masakizt
03-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Will this only be available for Blue99 server or will the leper colony on Red99 find some usefulness in it also?

Fani
03-15-2018, 08:52 AM
nice, looking forward to it!

aaezil
03-15-2018, 10:08 AM
grats until the tunnel rats ddos it

p99auct
03-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Will this only be available for Blue99 server or will the leper colony on Red99 find some usefulness in it also?

Im sure i can implement it quite fast, but will have to be when there is a stable version

p99auct
03-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Well at-least i got the speed for it and load balancing. Pore people that will get there ipbanned for a smurf attack. But sure they dont even play p99 anyways.

Aaeriele
03-15-2018, 10:04 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MmuBTTl.png

You probably want to be using parameterized db queries such that inputs can't mess with the queries.

aMindAmok
03-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Does it do anything yet?

Baler
03-16-2018, 09:25 AM
Best of luck with this.

Premaximum
03-16-2018, 09:10 PM
The item monitor alone honestly sounds fantastic. Sure as hell beats setting up a GINA trigger and camping afk in the tunnel until you get an alert.

Wfrench1234
03-16-2018, 09:35 PM

I chortled

Nikkanu
03-17-2018, 02:09 AM
Not classic, burn it to the ground.

aaezil
03-17-2018, 02:16 AM

Neither is the amount of mudflation or career tunnelquesters. Your point?

fzzzt
03-17-2018, 06:43 AM
Neither is half this server.

Itemhawk
03-17-2018, 08:46 AM

23 of the last 25 posts by this poster were made in the EC forum.

I think the EC'ers aren't happy!

Nikkanu
03-17-2018, 12:33 PM
23 of the last 25 posts by this poster were made in the EC forum.

I think the EC'ers aren't happy!

Lmao, I've sold a grand total of 3 things on the EC forums in the last year and a half... Nice try though detective.

Nikkanu
03-17-2018, 12:41 PM
Real rats just feed it false data to manipulate prices tho. The more u know.

This is the real problem. Every time one of these "auction logging" websites becomes popular prices skyrocket due to false data.

Canelek
03-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Which is it? Not classic or false data?

Nikkanu
03-17-2018, 02:12 PM
Which is it? Not classic or false data?

Correct.

Wfrench1234
03-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Correct.

I concur

p99auct
03-18-2018, 04:45 PM
This is the real problem. Every time one of these "auction logging" websites becomes popular prices skyrocket due to false data.

My server is the only one that allowed to read the log data, So i don't accept data from others, thus preventing this issue. Have cloud-based server that runs the game and log data and those are the only data sources I will trust.

In addition planning on adding a skylimit, Example like on p99wiki i see people add corrupt data. If corrupt data or high price data is added to chat, Im just gonna ban the name from posting on the site. Then of course remove the data. System already checking for auction post duplication so it not much to monitor, anything above a certain amount is normally flagged to me for approval before addition.

p99auct
03-18-2018, 04:54 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MmuBTTl.png

You probably want to be using parameterized db queries such that inputs can't mess with the queries.

TY Resolved, That version was a quick patch to get it running, new less memory, more secure version coming soon.

tristantio
03-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Your eqauction.css (and .js) file is an exactly copy of my sites, which is released under APLv3, as such, you need to release your source code (front end + server side) for download somewhere.

Will you toss up a Github link?

Edit: See LICENSE at the bottom (as I've had my site's source up as AGPLv3 for quite awhile now):

https://github.com/ahungry/com.ahungry

p99auct
03-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Your eqauction.css (and .js) file is an exactly copy of my sites, which is released under APLv3, as such, you need to release your source code (front end + server side) for download somewhere.

Will you toss up a Github link?

Edit: See LICENSE at the bottom (as I've had my site's source up as AGPLv3 for quite awhile now):

https://github.com/ahungry/com.ahungry

Its not and exact copy, will alter code to be in compliance. ALL backend is php if you would like a personal copy.

tristantio
03-18-2018, 10:04 PM
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

You can't modify and make the GPL clause disappear, as it as a derivative work (unless you try again, ie, start from scratch).

Also - it is very clearly a copy and paste - if not conforming to the terms of the license (AGPLv3) then it's just copyright infringement.

It's not much to ask that sites like this open source their code anyways.

p99auct
03-18-2018, 10:13 PM
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic

You can't modify and make the GPL clause disappear, as it as a derivative work (unless you try again, ie, start from scratch).

Also - it is very clearly a copy and paste - if not conforming to the terms of the license (AGPLv3) then it's just copyright infringement.

It's not much to ask that sites like this open source their code anyways.

sure i can post a github

tristantio
03-18-2018, 10:19 PM
Thanks, and nice works!

p99auct
03-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Thanks, and nice works! can you send me a chat handle or something in private. not to sure how to work with githubs

Nikkanu
03-19-2018, 10:55 AM
Its not and exact copy, will alter code to be in compliance. ALL backend is php if you would like a personal copy.

This is beyond shady. Copying and pasting someone's GPL code, altering it for your own use, and then being resistant to making the code publicly available is at the very least copyright infringement which unless you live in some third world country is illegal.

Let's be honest here, you're likely not planning to do this out of the kindness of your heart and absorb the hosting costs which will grow as the site gains features and popularity.

Creating a site for public use based on code that isn't 100% your own creation from scratch and not making that code publicly available is asking for a lawsuit and/or criminal charges.

At the very least you should have contacted tristantio before stealing his code and attempting to use it in a way that violates AGPLv3.

Nikkanu
03-19-2018, 11:14 AM
can you send me a chat handle or something in private. not to sure how to work with githubs

Unless you are offering to pay him to help you setup github I wouldn't expect him to help you, especially after you stole his code without permission.

Luckily for you, there are hundreds of tutorials on how to setup a github that are only a google search away.

Ravager
03-19-2018, 11:31 AM
When things cost more than I want to pay for them I simply don't buy them. Believe it or not, this game can be played without a FBSS.

As far as the site goes, I hope it the best, but I would be surprised if it wasn't attacked.

loramin
03-19-2018, 12:46 PM
This is beyond shady. Copying and pasting someone's GPL code, altering it for your own use, and then being resistant to making the code publicly available is at the very least copyright infringement which unless you live in some third world country is illegal.

Let's be honest here, you're likely not planning to do this out of the kindness of your heart and absorb the hosting costs which will grow as the site gains features and popularity.

Creating a site for public use based on code that isn't 100% your own creation from scratch and not making that code publicly available is asking for a lawsuit and/or criminal charges.

At the very least you should have contacted tristantio before stealing his code and attempting to use it in a way that violates AGPLv3.

As any professional programmer knows, violating a licensing agreement is a MAJOR breach of etiquette. OP's actions were not only a giant middle finger to Trsitiano, they in fact broke the law ...

... BUT, if someone from a foreign country gives you the middle finger because they have a different culture, you don't punch them in the face ;)

If you violate the GPL you don't go directly to jail, you are just obligated to get into compliance. OP seems inclined to do that, and since he's obviously not super familiar with OSS licenses I think it's ok to give him the benefit of the doubt. As the saying goes, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" (and really this wasn't even stupidity, just ignorance).

Nikkanu
03-19-2018, 12:53 PM
As any professional programmer knows, violating a licensing agreement is a MAJOR breach of etiquette. OP's actions were not only a giant middle finger to Trsitiano, they in fact broke the law ...

... BUT, if someone from a foreign country gives you the middle finger because they have a different culture, you don't punch them in the face ;)

If you violate the GPL you don't go directly to jail, you are just obligated to get into compliance. OP seems inclined to do that, and since he's obviously not super familiar with OSS licenses I think it's ok to give him the benefit of the doubt. As the saying goes, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" (and really this wasn't even stupidity, just ignorance).

I agree 100%. However, willful ignorance is not an excuse nor does ignorance of the law protect them from legal or criminal repercussions. I stated what could potentially happen should the person committing the copyright violation continued to do so, especially if they gain financially from doing so.

p99auct
03-19-2018, 04:34 PM

Ouch, but factual.

p99auct
03-19-2018, 04:35 PM
The code has been completely redone. Front/end and back but still a lot of bug and things to figure out. However the original will be posted. And by nose closes am i a professional program just a hobbyist. The reason for my wanting to keep new code hidden at this time is the fact all the other have been exploited.

loramin
03-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Ouch, but factual.

Heh, sorry, I call it 'em like I see 'em ;)

The code has been completely redone. Front/end and back but still a lot of bug and things to figure out. However the original will be posted. And by nose closes am i a professional program just a hobbyist. The reason for my wanting to keep new code hidden at this time is the fact all the other have been exploited.

So here's the thing: you really should read an article about open source licenses, or watch a 10-minute video, or something. You should not even be looking at code on GitHub until you do. But ... here's a TLDR.

If you use anything, even a single line, of a GPL-licensed project's code, you have a legal obligation to share all other related code. Other licenses like Apache and BSD are less restrictive, but GPL is all about sharing so that's what the license means.

You can imagine it being like whoever wrote the code had said "hey world, instead of being a dick and keeping this code to myself I'm going to be a nice person and share it with the world, BUT there's a condition: you can only use this code if you share your own." When they write "this project is licensed under the GPL", that's what they're saying.

Now, with GPL2 there are some exceptions made for the code running on the server, but GPL3 is Stallman's crazy "EVERYTHING MUST ALWAYS BE SHARED" license, which means it doesn't matter where the code gets run.

So, you have three choices:

remove every last bit of code from AHungry, completely (and I do mean completely; forgetting even a single line makes you legally liable) AND share everything you did before that (you can only start hiding changes made after every lick of AHungry's is gone)
share every line of code in your project, always
take the whole thing down (technically I think you might still have some legal liability if you don't also share your code, but in practice I believe this would make you safe)
break the law (among other issues I imagine Github will disable your account if you go this route)

Those are your only choices. If you leave even a single line of ahungry code in or leave a single line of your code un-shared, ever, for whatever reason (even to prevent attacks) you are breaking the law. Also, you are opening yourself up to a civil claim from AHungry (the details of which you'd want to talk to a lawyer about ... but I would strongly discourage you from making that choice).

p99auct
03-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Heh, sorry, I call it 'em like I see 'em ;)

So here's the thing: you really should read an article about open source licenses, or watch a 10-minute video, or something. You should not even be looking at code on GitHub until you do. But ... here's a TLDR.

If you use anything, even a single line, of a GPL-licensed project's code, you have a legal obligation to share all other related code. Other licenses like Apache and BSD are less restrictive, but GPL is all about sharing so that's what the license means.

You can imagine it being like whoever wrote the code had said "hey world, instead of being a dick and keeping this code to myself I'm going to be a nice person and share it with the world, BUT there's a condition: you can only use this code if you share your own." When they write "this project is licensed under the GPL", that's what they're saying.

Now, with GPL2 there are some exceptions made for the code running on the server, but GPL3 is Stallman's crazy "EVERYTHING MUST ALWAYS BE SHARED" license, which means it doesn't matter where the code gets run.

So, you have three choices:

1) remove every last bit of code from AHungry, completely (and I do mean completely; forgetting even a single line makes you legally liable) AND share everything you did before that (you can only start hiding changes made after every lick of AHungry's is gone)

2) share every line of code in your project, always

3) break the law (among other issues I imagine Github will disable your account if you go this route)

Those are your only choices. If you leave even a single line of ahungry code in or leave a single line of your code un-shared, ever, for whatever reason (even to prevent attacks) you are breaking the law and opening yourself up to a financial claim from AHungry (the details of which you'd want to talk to a lawyer about).

Thank you for this explanation and will dig into it further. During his first statements with me i deleted the originally code every page and literally started from scratch. from css to all the ajax.

In all honestly it was more a learning experience to understand AJAX and its methods as im not to understanding of websockets as of yet. I have revamped everything and staying away from ajax besides 2 methods WHICH are not used in the same way as ahungry or even matching in code.

I will head the advice and share everything i did before that as the revamp is completely different design.

Baler
03-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Props to you loramin for being A+ helpful in this community. I sincerely hope OP reads what you wrote.

To add to this,. it's not legal if you re-write what someone else did without their consent and claim it as your own. It's only legal if you write the same code having never seen the original code to begin with and are able to prove this in a court of law. Which is not easy to prove. Of course this varies country to country I'm primarily speak about usa law.

loramin
03-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Thank you for this explanation and will dig into it further. During his first statements with me i deleted the originally code every page and literally started from scratch. from css to all the ajax.

In all honestly it was more a learning experience to understand AJAX and its methods as im not to understanding of websockets as of yet. I have revamped everything and staying away from ajax besides 2 methods WHICH are not used in the same way as ahungry.

Cool, so it sounds like you're choosing option #1 :) Please be sure to note the part about how anything that wasn't shared before you removed his code must be shared, and be sure you removed every last line (you might have done this already, I'm just warning you to be cautious).

As for learning stuff, OSS projects are awesome (although so is Stack Overflow). But the moment you even think of copy/pasting something (let alone cloning or forking something) you've got to look at the license.

loramin
03-19-2018, 05:28 PM
Props to you loramin for being A+ helpful in this community. I sincerely hope OP reads what you wrote.

To add to this,. it's not legal if you re-write what someone else did without their consent and claim it as your own. It's only legal if you write the same code having never seen the original code to begin with and are able to prove this in a court of law. Which is not easy to prove. Of course this varies country to country I'm primarily speak about usa law.

While this is true, I should point out that in practice it's very difficult to prove that a rewrite was a literal rewrite of someone else's code, and not just the same problem being solved a similar way. It's the kind of thing you need Google's law department to really go after, and even then you wouldn't do it except in the most extreme circumstances.

If you look at Uber vs. Google Uber literally stole a higher-up in Google's auto division AND he took code on a USB stick or something when he left, AND Google could prove all that. I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that if Google had't had such a strong case they wouldn't even have gone to court with Uber.

In other words, as unfair as it may be, many companies can get away with rewriting code. In practice though doing that tends to be as much work as writing fresh code, so I don't think it's a major problem for the industry.

loramin
03-19-2018, 05:43 PM
One last note: as a professional web developer, and someone who is currently writing a college intro to web dev course, I'm more than happy to answer any web dev questions anyone on this forum might have.

Please feel free to PM me.

Splade
03-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Holy fuck, all of you cucks arguing over code this and law that... who gives a flying fuck. If it works, and works better than that shitty ahungry site, great! You people act like you fucking designed amazons website and someone stole that shit from you

Argh
03-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Lol

loramin
03-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Holy fuck, all of you cucks arguing over code this and law that... who gives a flying fuck. If it works, and works better than that shitty ahungry site, great! You people act like you fucking designed amazons website and someone stole that shit from you

When you write code for a living, the principle of people not stealing code matters to you ... just like book plagiarization matters to authors (even small independent ones).

But really I didn't see much arguing, just some education about OSS licenses.

Splade
03-20-2018, 11:32 AM
When you write code for a living, the principle of people not stealing code matters to you ... just like book plagiarization matters to authors (even small independent ones).

But really I didn't see much arguing, just some education about OSS licenses.

Sorry, I shouldn't of said "arguing", I should have said "whining"

Valrok
03-20-2018, 04:14 PM

I bet I would still have to debug my mistakes even if I tried copying it line by line lol. smh

p99auct
03-21-2018, 01:49 PM
New Release v 1.0.5 is here, completely redone and features added, Pending filter options and other goodies! focusing more on price extraction now! Stay tuned

p99auct
03-21-2018, 02:49 PM
Where are you stealing the price extraction code from?

http://php.net/manual/en/function.explode.php

Leddy
03-28-2018, 02:37 PM
If you need any more devs I'd love to help.