PDA

View Full Version : Server policing expectations

wtsgoodtime
03-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Hi there,

Background:
I used to play EQ back in 1999/2000 and quit shortly after Luclin was released. I've recently started playing on p99 with my friends who have been here for many years. I've been playing way too much and am lvl 47 in a few weeks.

Question:
I've noticed it is easy for people to start yelling about camps and spawns being contested. My friend was recently suspended without warning or explanation and we think it was due to someone complaining about taking their pulls. The pulls in question were probably pulled about the same time (within a second?) and were not part of a camp. They were also green to the petitioner and don't drop any special loot. If anything, this sounds like the petitioner is violating not disrupting normal playability of the zone for those of us who get XP.

We invest a lot of time in our characters in this game. Do we want GMs suspending/banning people without talking about it? This is only going to lead to people petitioning all the time for anything as a CYA technique. I want fair and honest discussion getting to the root of the issue before action is taken. You may not care until it happens to you. :confused:

Thoughts?

Tupakk
03-12-2018, 12:06 PM
I’ll be the bad guy here.

Wrong section buddy take it to RNF.

Argh
03-12-2018, 12:09 PM
Everytime I see one of these 'I got suspended without warning' posts it almost always turns out that the person was suspended for some ridiculous ragey /tells or /shouts

Crom
03-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Everytime I see one of these 'I got suspended without warning' posts it almost always turns out that the person was suspended for some ridiculous ragey /tells or /shouts

/this 9/10 times

wtsgoodtime
03-12-2018, 12:14 PM
I’ll be the bad guy here.

Wrong section buddy take it to RNF.

No worries, can delete this and I'll repost.

Thanks!

Raavak
03-12-2018, 12:15 PM
The GMs work pretty hard to be fair. For free.

wtsgoodtime
03-12-2018, 12:17 PM
How can I delete this thread? I reposted in the correct location.

Baler
03-12-2018, 12:42 PM
How can I delete this thread? I reposted in the correct location.

lol,. too late! :p

---
You're welcome to have your friend politely petition with evidence if they think they were wrongly suspended. Otherwise they should just wait it out if it's not perma.
Enjoy your FREE everquest in the meantime. Staff are pretty seasoned they don't usually make mistakes.

Also your 'friend' can make a new account if they want to follow the rules. (depending on the length of the suspension)
People already flood the staff with stupid pointless petitions on the daily. Should worry less about the staff and more about yourself.
The mobs being green or their loot doesn't matter.

ps. Next time provide logs, screenshots and if possible video so we can all see what 'really happened'. :)
Would have probably been a perma ban on live & they too wouldn't say anything to you.

remen
03-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Hi there,

Background:
I used to play EQ back in 1999/2000 and quit shortly after Luclin was released. I've recently started playing on p99 with my friends who have been here for many years. I've been playing way too much and am lvl 47 in a few weeks.

Question:
I've noticed it is easy for people to start yelling about camps and spawns being contested. My friend was recently suspended without warning or explanation and we think it was due to someone complaining about taking their pulls. The pulls in question were probably pulled about the same time (within a second?) and were not part of a camp. They were also green to the petitioner and don't drop any special loot. If anything, this sounds like the petitioner is violating not disrupting normal playability of the zone for those of us who get XP.

We invest a lot of time in our characters in this game. Do we want GMs suspending/banning people without talking about it? This is only going to lead to people petitioning all the time for anything as a CYA technique. I want fair and honest discussion getting to the root of the issue before action is taken. You may not care until it happens to you. :confused:

Thoughts?

I agree with you that it would be more fair for GMs to have a conversation with both parties before making a decision about, and following through with, a ban. This happened to me a few nights ago, where I was in EC on my tunnel guy and all of a sudden got booted off. Upon trying to log back in I received a message saying that my account was suspended. I made a post in the petitions section of the forums and I am still waiting to hear back about why I was suspended and for how long it will be.

If a player is online at the point that the suspension is being implemented, I don't see why the GM can't at least explain to them what they did wrong and for how long they will be suspended. A lot of the time people might know what they did wrong, but sometimes the rules can be a bit confusing about the definition of a camp, especially if one is new to a zone or the game. How is a player supposed to learn from their mistake if they don't know what rule they broke?

canaabyte
03-12-2018, 01:48 PM
sounds like a two-box ban

remen
03-12-2018, 01:51 PM
sounds like a two-box ban

Not sure if you're referring to me or to the OP, but I don't even have a 2nd p99 account or a second computer, so it's not for that in my case.

jakerees
03-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Not sure if you're referring to me or to the OP, but I don't even have a 2nd p99 account or a second computer, so it's not for that in my case.

That's exactly what a two boxer would say...

Nagoya
03-12-2018, 03:19 PM

three wonderfull period that you wasted here jakerees when all your other threads need some soooo badly :(

remen
03-12-2018, 03:19 PM
That's exactly what a two boxer would say...

You caught me :rolleyes:

fadetree
03-12-2018, 05:06 PM
OP, there are hundreds of threads over the years about people complaining about bans. People here are jaded after seeing so many turn out to backfire. The advice to post logs/screenshots is good. The advice to take it to RNF was you being trolled, there could be no worse place to take that kind of thing. A polite petition is the thing to do.

wtsgoodtime
03-12-2018, 05:30 PM
OP, there are hundreds of threads over the years about people complaining about bans. People here are jaded after seeing so many turn out to backfire. The advice to post logs/screenshots is good. The advice to take it to RNF was you being trolled, there could be no worse place to take that kind of thing. A polite petition is the thing to do.

ha! I did not realize that... being new here, I thought I put it in the wrong place so I stopped replying here to let it die.

Most of the conversation ended up occurring here: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2673243

I think my original question was answered and that it was not the normal course of action for the GMs. I'd still like to see it investigated and reversed, and consider overly sensitive petitioning as more of an offense than accidentally pulling a tagged mob. (one time)