PDA

View Full Version : Max AoE targets?

Toiletzombie
02-28-2018, 06:48 PM
I was watching a youtube video of some zone (dungeon) and a necro pulled the entire zone and then all were killed by party members that were out of sight, so I don't know what they did. Is this why p1999 made the max AoE rule? I used to play a bard on the server and remember I could get about 40 mobs in OT and hit all of them at once, and now it seems like 20 or so it the cap? What was the cause of them implementing this? Was it like this in normal EQ?

katrik
02-28-2018, 06:53 PM
It was implemented because bards would pull entire zones. Zone disruption, etc.

loramin
02-28-2018, 06:58 PM
Short answer: P99 has a maximum AoE limit, added roughly a year ago; live did not.

Longer answer: while live never had a limit, most players faced a technical limit. Remember, the classic era of EverQuest was 1999-2001, and back then the majority of players were on dial-up. Even if you weren't on dial-up I'm pretty sure the Internet in general had greater latency issues back then.

So while there were certainly people playing on a T1 who could AoE large groups (I know for a fact that a friend of mine who played at a game center with a T1 did lots of AoEing), it was a riskier proposition back then (I also know that it wasn't uncommon for that same friend to die from lag problems) ... and again for most players it wasn't even viable.

Finally, there's the pragmatism reason. Even if none of the above was true, AoE players on modern connections were extremely disruptive before the AoE limit was added. The Overthere was all but owned by Bards, and Chardok was basically off-limits for non-AoE groups, even though neither zone was like that in the classic era.

So, even if it's not exactly/precisely classic, the P99 AoE limit definitely makes the server overall more classic.

Toiletzombie
02-28-2018, 07:00 PM
So was my guess of 20 actually the cap?

loramin
02-28-2018, 07:03 PM
So was my guess of 20 actually the cap?

I believe it's actually 25, but I could be wrong.

skarlorn
02-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Bout 25iddy

Maner
02-28-2018, 10:23 PM
Short answer: P99 has a maximum AoE limit, added roughly a year ago; live did not.

Longer answer: while live never had a limit, most players faced a technical limit. Remember, the classic era of EverQuest was 1999-2001, and back then the majority of players were on dial-up. Even if you weren't on dial-up I'm pretty sure the Internet in general had greater latency issues back then.

So while there were certainly people playing on a T1 who could AoE large groups (I know for a fact that a friend of mine who played at a game center with a T1 did lots of AoEing), it was a riskier proposition back then (I also know that it wasn't uncommon for that same friend to die from lag problems) ... and again for most players it wasn't even viable.

Finally, there's the pragmatism reason. Even if none of the above was true, AoE players on modern connections were extremely disruptive before the AoE limit was added. The Overthere was all but owned by Bards, and Chardok was basically off-limits for non-AoE groups, even though neither zone was like that in the classic era.

So, even if it's not exactly/precisely classic, the P99 AoE limit definitely makes the server overall more classic.

I remember Seb AE groups during the kunark live era, though the pulls were never as big as the chardok ae pulls

Docx
03-01-2018, 12:02 AM
I’m so glad all the popular aoe zones are now filled with players dungeon crawling and solo killing mobs. Every time I do /who all chardok, ot, fv, bw, loio, etc it’s amazing to see the population thriving beyond belief in these zones....

Arkanjil
03-01-2018, 02:35 AM
25 mobs is the limit

Kesselring
03-01-2018, 03:12 AM
The main reason is people made a monopoly on chardok aoeing the whole zone to sell exp. This kind of killed the whole point of leveling and enjoying the game at a classic pace and on a classic experience. But the reason that probably pushed the GMs to do this was bards taking entire zones and aoeing them. Something sirken didn't really like.

commongood
03-01-2018, 05:21 AM
The Chardok thing had a two-pronged negative effect. Firstly, as has been pointed out, it monopolized the zone making it practically off limits to anyone not part of the AoE setup. Secondly it fast tracked a bunch of people through 54-60. This is anecdotal but I believe the server was made artificially bloated with lvl 60s that would otherwise not have made it to 60 at that speed for sure and maybe not at all.

My first characted was an iksar necromancer and I did 56-60 as a puller in Chardok. Then later I leveled a barb shaman (needing significantly less exp even) to 60 and was really surprised by how much of a grind getting to 60 really is if you aren't getting PL on steroids.

All in all I think - while some point to the "non-classic"ness of this change - it has made the server a better place AND has made it more classic in effect of this non-classic change.

Brocode
03-01-2018, 02:52 PM
revamp chardok(Immune to stuns), bring triple attack, bring pbae its classic.