PDA

View Full Version : Necro Spell buying guide?

xaxis
01-31-2018, 02:12 PM
So this post was kind of inspired by my last query pertaining to "Vampiric Embrace". I couldn't find one, but is there anything for necros similar to Wisewolf's guide for shaman (https://wiki.project1999.com/Wisewolf%27s_Spell_Purchasing_Guide)? Sesserdrix's guide is amazing but this is like the one thing it doesn't include. I've only "wasted" a few plat at this point but if there is something similar, it might save me from wasting actual sums later on. Now, I imagine this is something I will probably develop a feel for eventually but at this point my highest char is a lvl 19 shaman and my necro is lvl 9.

thebutthat
01-31-2018, 09:40 PM
Suffering for plat to buy spells is a small window you have to deal with as a necro. Get pet, get dots, get fear, get lichs, get life taps. Anything else, get it if it's feasible to...it all gets replaced down the line anyway aside from some of your resist buffs.

xaxis
01-31-2018, 10:05 PM
Thanks for replying. Is that the rough buying priority you'd recommend? It als raises a more specific question which is really what I'd like out of a guide like Wisewolf's, when do I start buying things that don't follow your list? I.e. The resist line of spells. I feel like they would be a waste to buy the early couple so do I start buying when/if I group regularly (i won't, don't have the time) or when things start resisting? Is the solution to that problem the resist spells or fight lower cons? Still trying to find the balance of xp/con lvl efficiency.

thebutthat
02-01-2018, 08:27 AM
At the lower levels I would recommend pets, then life taps, then fear/snare, then dots probably. But there's a slim margin and you could reorder as how you play.

The only resist spell you get as a necro that's going to be used a lot is dead man floating and that's not til 44. The others are very situational and often times there is a better option from another class.

You'll start transitioning from white and yellow con mobs probably in the mid teens if you're not twinked. It'll be blues from there on out.

Spyder73
02-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Not really sure what you are asking here, is it that you can not afford all your spells? Because you should definitely buy all your spells so you have them.

Pretty sure you are just caught in that sh!ty spot of the game where you cant really make good money but spells are starting to ramp up in cost. Wait until you get in yours mid 20s and go hunt goblins in High Hold Keep and your money problems will be a thing of the past.

Even in late teens and early 20s if you can get a Shiny Brass Idol from Orcs in High Hold Pass you will pretty much be set for a long time.

xaxis
02-01-2018, 03:49 PM
Not really sure what you are asking here,...

Essentially, I was asking if anyone already had a write up for Necros as to what spells were/are useful and which are just spell book decoration, and of the ones that are useful, when do they actually become useful and I should start buying them. Some examples: I bought Vampiric Embrace and wasted 4pp on that because it is useless and always will be. Or Voice Graft, I don't see that EVER being useful whereas Sight Graft could be situationally useful, but by no means necessary, so it would be something to pick up later. Then you have Cancel Magic which could come in handy, maybe even be clutch, but would be more or less useless at lvl 16 unless you are on Red.

Scent of Dusk is a good example of this because, at first glance, it looks powerful but it really isn't. It is 50 mana for a -7/-9 resist debuff on lvl 12s. At later levels I'm sure that this line of debuffs will be in regular rotation, especially when grouped, but at lvl 12 when plat and mana is tight, it just becomes spell book clutter.

And thankfully, EQ spells aren't set up as pre-req system so I don't have to "waste" the plat on Scent of Dusk at lvl 12 in order to be able to use Scent of Terris at 52.

It isn't really about not being able to afford spells. I sold some stacks of bone chips and spider silk so I'm not rich but I'm comfortable enough for the moment. It is more a matter of frugality. Why spend more plat than I have to? Also, I don't like useless spells cluttering my book.

NegaStoat
02-01-2018, 03:56 PM
If there was a DoT spell, I bought it. Same for pet spells, direct damage, self buffs that did not rely on melee (lifetap proc, damage shield), and I did not buy debuffs. Utility spells for invis, bind location, mana regen, and get out of jail free spells(shadowstep is questionable for buying time and gaining distance to break LoS and try other things, but I have used it).

Siphon Strength I used from 1-52, and continue to use it as I level as a pulling spell with next to no threat associated with it so the pet gets full aggro on an intercept. I think you already have an idea as to which spells are useless. So don't buy them until you're out in the field and you find a need for one plop into your lap. Go back and buy it then.

xaxis
02-01-2018, 04:03 PM
I think you already have an idea as to which spells are useless. So don't buy them until you're out in the field and you find a need for one plop into your lap. Go back and buy it then.

Good advice. I have a general idea but the Siphon STR line was one that I didn't intend on investing in because I didn't know/think about the pulling utility of it. Your post will change that, thanks for the tip ;). I didn't (and probably still don't) plan on picking up Shadowstep because with my luck it would blink me backwards and that would be the end.

Spyder73
02-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Good points, and valid. Voice Graft however has comedic uses that make it one of the most valuable spells you can possibly have.

The necromancers spell book is actually one of the more useful. There are not just a ton of "stinker" spells like there are for some of the Priest classes or even other Int casters.

Any sort of Debuff is typically garbage, any of the pet-only heals are pretty garbage, most of our buffs besides the Shielding are garbage

Im big on grouping so for me leveling up DOTS were not as important as my Heals/Drains/Taps/Pets.

Rapacious Subversion at 24 is your first "twitch" spell and it is very useful for grouping so be sure you don't pass it up.

Also Shadow Compact at 20 is good because you can start healing and getting into the grove of the necro play style.

All of the Lich spells are extremely important also because as you level up what really separates Necros as beasts is how much more we can do because of mana regen.

Canelek
02-01-2018, 04:16 PM
And don't forget to save those words up and spend points at trainer into Research every level starting at 16. Training research sucks, but those first few spells should be pretty easy as you acquire words. Some spells are available via both research and vendor, so if you have the words and get successful combines, it'll save you some cash for sure.

Level 20 spells are 10-12pp for example.

xaxis
02-01-2018, 05:02 PM
All of the Lich spells are extremely important also because as you level up what really separates Necros as beasts is how much more we can do because of mana regen.

Werd. They are the sole reason i went Iksar. Granted, I've ALWAYS loved the Iksar and their lore but they can be damned inconvenient to play. I was astonished at what a difference even the 8th lvl lich spell makes.

xaxis
02-01-2018, 05:06 PM
And don't forget to save those words up and spend points at trainer into Research every level starting at 16. Training research sucks, but those first few spells should be pretty easy as you acquire words. Some spells are available via both research and vendor, so if you have the words and get successful combines, it'll save you some cash for sure.

Level 20 spells are 10-12pp for example.

Yeah, I've already been looking for some of the lower level words or words that are research-only spells. At first I was leery of dropping the plat on them but then thought about the fact that I'd be paying 2-6 plat for a spell (the words to make the spell anyway) instead of double that, at minimum, for a vendor scroll.

xaxis
02-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Some truly solid advice being dropped here that I know I appreciate. I hope it helps out some other new necros as well!

katrik
02-05-2018, 10:48 AM
I’ve always made my own spells with pure casters. If you’re creative, and know where to look, you shouldn’t have any problems getting the words you need.