PDA

View Full Version : why is my ping so high?

supermonk
12-29-2017, 08:22 AM
curious as to why my in-game ping (51) is relatively higher than my speedtest results? do my graphics settings play a part? what steps can be done to reduce ping? I already have EQ as high priority setting in my network, don't connect devices unless necessary, don't run unnecessary programs while playing game.

my speedtest results are:
ping: 11
upload/download: 111/105

Kavious
12-29-2017, 10:19 AM
51ms is extremely good

Where are you doing a speed test to? Your local city? There might be much more hops required to get to where the servers are located. Last I knew the servers were located somewhere in New Jersey, but dont know if they have moved since years ago.

Are you experiencing bad lag while playing? If so that likely isnt a connection speed issue

mcoy
12-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Your (geo) location in relation to the p1999 servers as well as the number / quality of hops you're crossing to reach them makes a huge difference. As a comparison, here's what mine looks like from running the client on my laptop (wired) at a datacenter (so few hops to the big pipes) in Virginia:

Note that I'm also in EFP with only 4 other players so it's pretty quiet.

-Mcoy

supermonk
12-30-2017, 10:06 AM
i'm located in NJ

Izmael
12-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Asking why your ping to P99 is higher than your speedtest ping is like asking why it takes you more time to drive to the local supermarket than it takes you to get your car out of your driveway.

Answer: the distances are not the same. Also, what the other guy said. 51 ms is super good, you should play on the P99 red server with such a low ping - gives you an advantage in PvP.

kotton05
12-30-2017, 12:48 PM
Pinging something and your actual latency is diff.

Was hoping this thread was for the silly connection issues I’ve been having that’s new. Lots of hanging and just going LD mid mob while everything appears fine.