PDA

View Full Version : Cheesing Raid trash mobs?

Baler
12-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Are raid guilds allowed to use bad pathing to keep trash mobs (non raid targets) busy during a raid?

A spot where the player can step back and forth causing the agro'd mobs to path in a C or V shape to get to the player. And when the player steps to one side they go all the way around that C or V shape,. player steps the opposite direction and mobs run around that shape the opposite way. then the player repeats this over and over to essentially locking down trash mobs with no risk.

I am just wondering this because I was traveling through kael a while back and noticed a monk on a peak of ice along a wall. They were just stepping left then right and repeating. Causing the mobs to run back and forth without getting to the player.

:confused:

This is not a RnF thread.

Argh
12-20-2017, 01:16 PM
You couldn't do this with juggs at Trak.

Baler
12-20-2017, 01:25 PM
How is moving back and forth different from running circles?

because a 'clever use of game mechanics' could be seen as an exploit.

IE: taking a step right, waiting a few seconds, taking a step left, waiting a few second and repeating.
While the agro'd mobs run back and forth trying to get to you but because their pathing is messed up they never get to you.
Repeating what I already said.

That's how it's different than running in circles. But I commend you for point that out.

Legidias
12-20-2017, 01:35 PM
Is this any different than using said pathing to escape from mobs? Lowbies in MM, if they get too much stuff, can run up the little ledge near zone out so that mobs go up that then circle back around so the player can escape safely.

Or in sol a, you can hop through the window near LS zone out and mobs will run the regular route.

Baler
12-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Is this any different than using said pathing to escape from mobs?

Yes, raiding has additional rules. Meaning it's more regulated than day to day gameplay.
see stickies here: https://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Just stating this to try and keep this thread on topic.
I do see your point about these zones Legidias

Baler
12-20-2017, 01:45 PM
Yes I realize the pathing isn't ideal.

It's completely broken not just "isn't ideal". And as such is being manipulated to keep trash mobs busy.
Which brings us full circle to the OP of this topic.

Is this allowed?

---
You can't compare an blatant exploit to regular gameplay.

Not to mention is this classic?,..
To dive deeper down this rabbit hole,. Were mob's pathing able to be manipulated like this during live's classic-velious eq?

Baler
12-20-2017, 02:02 PM
Daldaen I think you're here for the wrong reasons.

This thread is a question, I'm not accusing anyone as you notice I don't mention names. It seems highly suspicious that you're so up in arms about my question being wrong.

And furthermore a cheat/expoit/clever use of game mechanics could care less about time span. 1ms to infinity.

---
If you don't know if this is allowed then just say that. You seem to understand what I'm talking about so you don't need proof.

---
And for anyone jumping into this thread now,. please start at the top.

Baler
12-20-2017, 03:12 PM
I made a thread asking a question. Simple as that. Idk what you're trying to turn it into.

William_Munny15
12-20-2017, 03:16 PM
I think it falls on pathing exploit? I think it's frowned upon , I forget if there was a post about it , but I think i remember one of the GM's saying it's considered an exploit if they catch you?

Lhancelot
12-20-2017, 03:17 PM
Are raid guilds allowed to use bad pathing to keep trash mobs (non raid targets) busy during a raid?

Yes it's allowed.

/thread

icedwards
12-20-2017, 03:26 PM
I made a thread asking a question. Simple as that. Idk what you're trying to turn it into.

The inhabitants of Innothule have a saying: "Ask troll questions, get troll answers."

Lhancelot
12-20-2017, 03:33 PM
The inhabitants of Innothule have a saying: "Ask troll questions, get troll answers."

shuklak
12-20-2017, 04:09 PM
If you're gonna do shady stuff then you need to lawyer up.

If you need a recommendation then hit me up i know the best of the best. Youre gonna want a criminal lawyer. Has over 10 years experience practicing eq law.

Skew
12-20-2017, 04:42 PM
Daldaen you are being trolled.

Forget blockchain , the real breakthrough invention of the 21st century will be a trollcasm device (thats a cross between trolling and sarcasm for those of you without your trollcasm app)

Rygar
12-20-2017, 05:28 PM
In CoM I saw an enchanter fighting on one side of the moat in Air Elemental form, if charm broke would float across moat, recharm. Mobs wouldn't jump across moat but path around it.

Now, this is how things should work in a real fantasy world, non-exploit. It was an advantage of levitate. But in a gaming world? Have to consult the guides. I think monsters are supposed to jump over / across obstacles to make up for their lack of better AI and help create more challenges for players and encourage grouping.

Baler
12-20-2017, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry but I still can't help but feel like people are taking advantage of emulator bugs to win. Even when i'm not apart of that scene it's sketchy as hell.

from my experience from UO and EQ EMU servers,. any time a player can bug out mobs to not do damage to them and they're in control it's a server bug.

IDC how much people want to fight me and tell me I'm wrong,. Maybe what you know is wrong!!

---
#1 is this allowed, #2 is this classic.
These are all that matters.

fastboy21
12-20-2017, 06:38 PM
Since the OP asked the question publicly, I assume he can take opinion answers in discussion (without trolling or trying to troll, etc.).

My opinion is that what the OP described, in and of itself, is not against the rules unless a GM specifically makes a ruling (like doing X in place Y while fighting boss Z is specifically stated).

What Daldaen is saying makes sense. Is it exploiting to CC mobs by kiting them around while a raid force fights a boss? It would seem like the answer is no to me. The strat is functionally, in and of itself, identical to using pathing nodes to kite the mob (i.e. run it around without it hitting you).

If there is a game breaking way that this strat is giving an unfair advantage then GMs should specifically forbid it and devs should fix it.

Pathing in EQ on live was buggy. Pathing on p99 is buggy. Ideally, players should be reporting significant problems for devs to fix.

Lhancelot
12-20-2017, 09:16 PM
I'm sorry but I still can't help but feel like people are taking advantage of emulator bugs to win.

Feelings mean nothing. Only facts do. Fact is, these mechanics are allowed.

Like Spyder explained in great detail tons of these "bugs" are used in strategies to defeat mobs on p99. :)

heyokah
12-20-2017, 09:59 PM
A long time ago(years, 3 or 4) I was leveling in CB one day and a mage was using a patching hiccup like you described in the slaver area. GM showed up within like 30 min and nuked the guy and I never saw him again. Its just an anecdote so take it as you will, but after that if I found a similar patching node I simply avoided it.

Arkanjil
12-20-2017, 10:36 PM
#rootthedragons

Nitholias01
12-21-2017, 03:08 PM
i would solo RCY in KC on my necro by standing on top of the overhang and strafing so mobs couldnt get to me. GM came and told me to stop or get banned...the description in your question sounds like the same thing to me so i would assume its illegal. but maybe it depends on your end goal, be it to gain exp, stall mobs, or just not die.

Doctor Jeff
12-21-2017, 03:23 PM
TL;DR most of the thread... happy spots have been considered exploits in the past.

fastboy21
12-21-2017, 03:25 PM
i would solo RCY in KC on my necro by standing on top of the overhang and strafing so mobs couldnt get to me. GM came and told me to stop or get banned...the description in your question sounds like the same thing to me so i would assume its illegal. but maybe it depends on your end goal, be it to gain exp, stall mobs, or just not die.

They aren't killing the mobs, they are functionally CC'ing them. Its more analogous to you just running the mobs around for 15 minutes and then FDing.

To my original point though, if a GM rules that "doing X at Y while fighting Z" is against the rules then it is. A GM showed up and told you just that. If you went back the week after and did the same thing you should be suspended. GMs watch raid guilds pretty closely here, they could (and maybe do) make comments regarding this.

aaezil
12-21-2017, 03:58 PM
#rootthedragons

please god yes allah moses whatever someone do this

Pokesan
12-21-2017, 04:39 PM
illegal cheese :o

branamil
12-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Re: root the dragons: what exactly would that solve? You spend 2 hours clearing trash and a guild leap frogs over you for the FTE. It’s almost as if the game mechanics are so primitive that you need a brittle jenga tower of rules to support basic raiding

Shrubwise
12-21-2017, 04:56 PM
I found a spot in Paludal Caverns on Rallos Zek, circa 2002 or 2003 where you could do this. I used it for a day or 2 on my Druid while DoT’ing the pathing confused mobs, got a visit by a GM and told it was against the rulez and not to do it again, and a patch or two later they fixed it. Not that I ever tried it again.;)

Kaifin
12-23-2017, 11:57 AM
these glitches on live were eventually patched or fixed, but this is project1999 where the purposely added glitches like the problem with the Firiona Vie boat back in to the game. Therefore yes while these mechanics may be considered illegal on a official server. They wanted p99 to be like eq in fact was in 1999 so much of this stuff is legal and not patched. If you find a bug that you think is serious petition the exploit thread of this forum and get screen recording for evidence.

dbouya
12-23-2017, 09:02 PM
I remember doing this in like 1999-2000 in the gorge of king xorb on low level toons, there was this one really wonky nexus that made it super easy. This is definitely a classic feature. IMO though p99 has a lot more pathing errors than sony had in 2001 and we should petition these error spots as much as possible and hope someone fixes them.

That said crushbone's back wall area is still busted as heck and makes orcs warp around and it's one of the most basic zones in the game, so I don't have high hopes at fixing them all. Although I have to say, maybe my petitions about these issues were too poorly written to be of any use, sorry for anyone who had to read them.

tl;dr.
I think this is legal, but only if you report it to GMs and they don't tell you to stop/fix it.