PDA

View Full Version : Making a simple RPG for fun, suggestions?

Cribanox
02-26-2011, 12:48 AM
So I plan on developing an RPG for a fun profject with RPG Maker ZX on my PC. I want to use all origional sprites (made myself) and music (also by me).

I am highly influenced by EQ. I want to make this game kind of like a story that tells itself as you explore, kind of like EQ.. with multiple races and classes, gods and dragons, etc.

I do want to keep things simple and familiar to most people. Any real suggestions, like maybe what classes to create? Or maybe some simple game developer suggestions? Like how to plan things out and how to keep your data organized?

I don't expect this to be a huge world like EQ is, maybe close to how big EQ origonally was on release.

RMXP does a lot of the work for me, all I reallly have to do it draw the sprites and map out the areas. The other hard tedious works comes with balancing the battles, equipment, spells, etc.

I like little extra things in games, like druids maybe having a high level spell to control weather, etc. So, any suggestions?

JayDee
02-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Make one of the characters a gorilla and have his special attack be flinging poop. You could even have different rations like spoiled banana that make his fecal matter debuff more powerful.

Wut u think

Cribanox
02-26-2011, 12:57 AM
I think you're an alchoholic

JayDee
02-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Last time I try to give you helpful suggestions

Cribanox
02-26-2011, 01:08 AM
Some of the best suggestions come from alchoholics. Keep em comin!

Lazortag
02-26-2011, 01:18 AM
So I plan on developing an RPG for a fun profject with RPG Maker ZX on my PC. I want to use all origional sprites (made myself) and music (also by me).

I am highly influenced by EQ. I want to make this game kind of like a story that tells itself as you explore, kind of like EQ.. with multiple races and classes, gods and dragons, etc.

I do want to keep things simple and familiar to most people. Any real suggestions, like maybe what classes to create? Or maybe some simple game developer suggestions? Like how to plan things out and how to keep your data organized?

I don't expect this to be a huge world like EQ is, maybe close to how big EQ origonally was on release.

RMXP does a lot of the work for me, all I reallly have to do it draw the sprites and map out the areas. The other hard tedious works comes with balancing the battles, equipment, spells, etc.

I like little extra things in games, like druids maybe having a high level spell to control weather, etc. So, any suggestions?

I used to fiddle around with RPG Makers. I always made my own sprites/music/etc., everything was original. It's super time consuming and so most people don't finish the games they start, and of the games that do get finished, a lot are really bad or unoriginal (some are brilliant though). I wouldn't say I wasted any of my time as I still had a lot of fun experimenting with the rm2k3 back when I had the time to do things like that.

As far as implementing eq-related things goes, I've always thought that single player RPG's could benefit from a sort of "aggro" system. In most classic games, enemies randomly hit your party members, which I don't think is terribly realistic. If you had a custom battle system it would be relatively easy to program it so that party members who've pissed off the enemy more would be more likely targets.

I have other ideas, but I'd rather not open them to ridicule.

Cribanox
02-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I used to fiddle around with RPG Makers. I always made my own sprites/music/etc., everything was original. It's super time consuming and so most people don't finish the games they start, and of the games that do get finished, a lot are really bad or unoriginal (some are brilliant though). I wouldn't say I wasted any of my time as I still had a lot of fun experimenting with the rm2k3 back when I had the time to do things like that.

As far as implementing eq-related things goes, I've always thought that single player RPG's could benefit from a sort of "aggro" system. In most classic games, enemies randomly hit your party members, which I don't think is terribly realistic. If you had a custom battle system it would be relatively easy to program it so that party members who've pissed off the enemy more would be more likely targets.

I have other ideas, but I'd rather not open them to ridicule.

Id like to hear them, nothing is going to be ridiculed lol.

I have actually thought about something like that. For example, in Dragon Quest 9, there is a hidden system in the backround during battles that makes monsters either aggro on certain characters, or become enthralled by them (like if you wear a skirt on a female character, that enthralled chance becomes higher).

I was thinking about having just a simple taunt skill that has a chance to make the monster attack only that character for a few rounds.

fugazi
02-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Have you played Magicka? A casting/ability system like that could be used in a large number of ways and would make gameplay engaging, fresh and new.