PDA

View Full Version : Weapons for monk - what is best?

Lhancelot
08-18-2017, 09:03 AM
I realize 2hb is the way to go, at least that's what it seems when carrying a T-staff, but when does this become the best weapon to use for the monk? Only once it procs? Or, is the dps surpassing 1hb DWing even earlier than that?

Aside from this question, I also want to know what 1hb weapons are best?

I seen on p99 wiki, monk weapons the Stave of Shielding is listed as better dps than the Adamantium Club, yet, I always see the combination of Ad Club and one SoS being used.

If SoS is better damage due to ratio, why do monks not dual-weild Staves of Shielding? Is the Ad Club mixed with a SoS due to it having a stun proc, and the slightly less dps is given up for the proc effect?

Twochain
08-18-2017, 09:25 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V2vVUwfB7NBXqgfj4ZLnc-KWGy91esVBElY7p8qcnxk/edit#gid=0

That should help a lot haha.

So yeah, ada club does more dmg primary hand due to main hand bonus, with a lower delay.

T-staff/2hb is essential if you're soloing, or if you're tanking. The proc is awesome for keeping agro.

Lhancelot
08-18-2017, 09:32 AM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V2vVUwfB7NBXqgfj4ZLnc-KWGy91esVBElY7p8qcnxk/edit#gid=0

So yeah, ada club does more dmg primary hand due to main hand bonus, with a lower delay.

T-staff/2hb is essential if you're soloing, or if you're tanking. The proc is awesome for keeping agro.

ok thanks man for clarifying that.

Sinadin
08-18-2017, 09:42 AM
T-staff/2hb is essential if you're soloing

why? if it does less damage than epic/sceptre of mastery

maskedmelon
08-18-2017, 10:32 AM
tstaff never does better dos than ac/sos, but the stun component of the proc is HUGE. It lasts a lot longer than an ordinary stun and is fantastic for building aggro of you are tanking in addition to diminishing damage taken she ther solo or tanking. 2hb is also better for solo/tanking due to larger ripostes from the user and fewer ripostes/dmg-shield strikes to the user. it will not benefit substantially though from the upcoming '2h' dmg bonus change. The update is much more substantial for slow weapons, so weapons liek Spyder's Facesmasher or even IFS will benefit more from that patch.

tl;dr - use tstaff for solo/tanking to improve aggro and mitigation. ^^

Lhancelot
08-18-2017, 12:02 PM
it will not benefit substantially though from the upcoming '2h' dmg bonus change. The update is much more substantial for slow weapons, so weapons liek Spyder's Facesmasher or even IFS will benefit more from that patch.

I thought someone had said that 30 delay or so was going to be the "sweet spot" for 2h weapon buff in that patch?

Hence, why t-staff jumped in price vastly due to it benefiting greatly from that buff to 2hb?

Just going off what I recall someone claiming, no evidence backing my recollection lol.

xKoopa
08-18-2017, 12:22 PM
28 is the min delay to get the big 2h bonus

Slower 2h weps benefit even more from the new dmg bonus

jpetrick
08-18-2017, 12:55 PM
tstaff never does better dos than ac/sos, but the stun component of the proc is HUGE.

If you weapon swap the t-staff, it is much better than ac/sos at 60. I haven't done the math at lower levels though so your mileage may vary.

jpetrick
08-18-2017, 01:05 PM

Unless I am reading it wrong, it seems that the 2hander section of this spreadsheet is using the wrong damage bonuses for the calculations.

maskedmelon
08-18-2017, 01:12 PM
If you weapon swap the t-staff, it is much better than ac/sos at 60. I haven't done the math at lower levels though so your mileage may vary.

epic fist + sos is much better than AC + sos too. we weren't talking about ts + epic fist (which parses marginally better than that) though; we were talking about ts ^^

jpetrick
08-18-2017, 01:16 PM
epic fist + sos is much better than AC + sos too. we weren't talking about ts + epic fist (which parses marginally better than that) though; we were talking about ts ^^

You don't need the epic fist to weapon swap. Weapon swapping would actually do more damage without the epic because the monk fist chart increases higher than 9 damage.

maskedmelon
08-18-2017, 01:20 PM
You don't need the epic fist to weapon swap. Weapon swapping would actually do more damage without the epic because the monk fist chart increases higher than 9 damage.

of course you don't. that's not the point ^^ the point is, we were discussing tstaff vs ac+sos.

tstaff+anything_else is not tstaff. make sense? ^^

Lhancelot
08-18-2017, 01:24 PM
of course you don't. that's not the point ^^ the point is, we were discussing tstaff vs ac+sos.

Welcome back, MM. :p

jpetrick
08-18-2017, 01:35 PM

I think 2 handers and weapon swapping go hand in hand. I think it is absolutely a factor in determining what weapon to use. Weapon swapping is a large reason to use a 2 hander. It's a pretty big damage increase at no cost.

maskedmelon
08-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Welcome back, MM. :p

ty lhance ^^ and yeah, someone did claim that at 30 delay tstaff would be at a sweet spot based on information currently available on Lucy, which iirc differ from the velious era values referenced on the steel warrior before it died. there was a long discussion on this here several years back that referenced those values and had a link to a nifty table and the calculations behind them. i am no good with the way back machine so cannot dig up the applicable post, but maybe you have better luck ^^

I think 2 handers and weapon swapping go hand in hand. I think it is absolutely a factor in determining what weapon to use. Weapon swapping is a large reason to use a 2 hander. It's a pretty big damage increase at no cost.

and you are most welcome to think that :3 and it is a valid point and good of you to bring to the discussion ^^

Twochain
08-18-2017, 03:01 PM
Unless I am reading it wrong, it seems that the 2hander section of this spreadsheet is using the wrong damage bonuses for the calculations.

Honestly.. didn't even realize there's a 2HB tab til you pointed it out. (It's not my spreadsheet I got it off the forums)

Gumbo
08-18-2017, 07:55 PM
I saw this chart before but not sure if it's out of date or not yet?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLk00fzuQQMcElKYTJtaGVsanM/edit?usp=sharing

Pan
08-31-2017, 03:54 AM
Best against which targets?

Also, why is nobody actually providing data/parses?

Just for fun, try a T-staff (or PB) vs. a red-con, high-AC mob and parse. Then against same mob, use fist/SoS.

Then, for more fun, use both combos against a low-blue, low-AC mob and parse.

Spoiler: you'll find that against mobs that are tough to hit and mitigate damage well, you're best served by mainhand "touches". That the damage bonus will serve you really well.

evilkorn
09-06-2017, 11:52 AM

There is an error in that spreadsheet. Fist of Lightning is secondary only, but has a value for DPS in primary.

Brocode
09-07-2017, 01:25 PM
There is an error in that spreadsheet. Fist of Lightning is secondary only, but has a value for DPS in primary.

shhh let the sheet spread dreams. Proc + max dex counts a lot too.