PDA

View Full Version : Spells: AoE spells will not kill mobs.

Kassel
02-20-2011, 04:08 PM
After a few very painfull rounds of Quad kiting SF's in OOT with the lvl 49 spell Lightning Blast, i have discovered that the spell has a 100% resist rate when the cast would be a kill shot.

I can get the mobs down to 0%-1% life with not a single resist but i am unable to kill them with an AoE

Ok, I read the archive thread. I understand how they should be now. I can code that. Even the annoying pet bug, including making it so a rain will not cause a kill shot.

Piece of cake

H

I think Haynar intented them to not kill pets but now the mobs can not be killed.

Thanks

Jarnin
02-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Pillar type AEs will not kill mobs. PBAE will, as I was having to use PBAE spells to finish off my quads.

I ran into this same problem with the halflings in misty. I'd get them down to 0-5% and couldn't kill them without using a PB AoE or single target nukes.

oddibemcd
02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Have the same problem, with both Lightning spells, used on HG's and spectres. Was killing them with a root.

Haynar
02-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Will look into it.

Thanks,

H

Gusnadz
02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Having the same issue with Paw gnolls =/ killing blow CANT be a AoE rest of the cast works fine

Cablam Kataplow

Messianic
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Same issue. Screenshots linked below.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/TDINT10000/Random%20junk/?action=view&current=EQ000071.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/TDINT10000/Random%20junk/?action=view&current=EQ000073.jpg
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v470/TDINT10000/Random%20junk/?action=view&current=EQ000072.jpg

The issue occurred in OOT, the same zone as Hassel, but on specs instead of seafuries. Spell used is Circle of Force, level 34 magic-based AoE.

Haynar
02-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Yep. I made a bug. Will work on getting a fix coded tonight.

Thanks,

H

Messianic
02-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks, Haynar - any update on this?

Rogean
02-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Test-Src

Fix for targeted AEs not being able to kill targets.

H

Messianic
02-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Awesome.

Hoggen
02-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Bug continues

Messianic
02-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Test-Src

Fix for targeted AEs not being able to kill targets.

H

Pretty sure what this means is it'll be pulled over next patch or update or whatever (test-src).

Knightmare
02-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Pretty sure what this means is it'll be pulled over next patch or update or whatever (test-src).

Probably right, at least I hope that's what was meant as it's still bugged..

Quite a shock when one doesn't expect it and kiting a quad lol :eek:

Messianic
02-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Probably right, at least I hope that's what was meant as it's still bugged..

Quite a shock when one doesn't expect it and kiting a quad lol :eek:

Yeah, it's been kind of a pain. Instead of relatively easy kills, I have to single-target nuke each mob to finish (and they can vary in % of remaining hp, so to make sure i have enough mana i have to use lower level nukes and sometimes snare-med to finish off specs), it becomes a bit more annoying.

That's probably been your experience too ;) I can still quad though, which is what counts =P

Knightmare
02-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Exactly my experience.

I'm just barely able to manage a quad at my lvl though so maybe when I ding I'll have the mana for that :p

SUSUGAM
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
my mage cant kill 6 mobs at once anymore... this is bullshit! :D

any progress on this, though, would be truly appreciated. it does get a little bit enraging sometimes. :(

nilbog
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
It's been a long time since I've played.. but I did play a mage. I remember having to pair my rains with dd shocks. Did some reading today..

------------------------------
August 26, 2003
- AE Rain Spells were resisted 100% of the time when an NPC was above
level 20 and had less than 10% of its hit points left. This will no
longer happen.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/history/patches-2003-2.html
Currently, how is working? Is level 20 relevant?

SUSUGAM
03-03-2011, 10:49 AM
I'll test it to those parameters a bit, but at the moment I'm fairly sure that the 10% thing doesn't matter. Nor the level 20 issue. But rather, if the damage were to kill the mob, it is instead 100% resisted.

I just know for sure that Rain of Swords can NOT kill a mob at the moment, period.

a sand scarab in EC, 100% resist, all waves. :(

kobolds in solb around 70% hp, first wave hits, all subsequent waves 100% resisted or don't show message at all

also: by your last post nilbog, are you inferring that this is a purposeful change? that aoe spells aren't meant to be able to finish off mobs?

Gorgetrapper
03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
It's been a long time since I've played.. but I did play a mage. I remember having to pair my rains with dd shocks. Did some reading today..

Currently, how is working? Is level 20 relevant?

That's... fucking amazing! I never knew this existed because I never played a class that relied on using AE spells. This is very interesting..

Rhodes
03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
first wave hits, all subsequent waves 100% resisted or don't show message at all

I was noticing this last night in both Misty and SK. I was trying to AoE them down as much as I could and then finish off with a shock, but I kept seeing the spell (Column of Lighting/Wiz) getting either resisted or just simply having zero effect whatsoever even with the mobs at 50% health or greater. It seems that the bug is greater than just the killshots...

Haynar
03-03-2011, 05:18 PM
August 26, 2003
longer happen.
Not coded exactly that way, but the intent is similar. Might need to be tweaked a bit.

H

Alderac
03-03-2011, 06:06 PM
It's not just rain spells, targeted AE spells will not hit on a mob it would kill either.

Haynar
03-03-2011, 06:08 PM
It's not just rain spells, targeted AE spells will not hit on a mob it would kill either.
The targetted AE's not killing, was a big oops. That was never intended. It was only supposed to be rains.

H

SUSUGAM
03-03-2011, 07:58 PM
So this is definitely intentional? Are we positive that the 2003 patch changing this, wasn't a fix to a shorter term issue? I didn't play a Rain-having class on live, but that seems like a pretty silly mechanic.

Also, once this is fixed, we should be able to finish off a level 40 mob with 11% health, right? (Providing he has fewer current hitpoints than the rain spell damage) Because the parameters in that patch specifically say that it was being resisted by level>20 and health<10%, nothing about being unable to kill mobs, ever. Also, I can't find anyone complaining about or even mentioning this mechanic in any explanation of rain spells from 1999-2003 at all. =/ A link to any such thing would be nice to see.

Alderac
03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I was pretty sure this was a short term bug-fix change but no evidence to support this so thats just my hazy memory from 8 years ago

SUSUGAM
03-03-2011, 11:28 PM
I was pretty sure this was a short term bug-fix change but no evidence to support this so thats just my hazy memory from 8 years ago

That's what I'm thinking as well, as I see no mention of this issue anywhere online at all, except in that one patch note in 2003. And even then it was very different from how it's working on P99.

Rhodes
03-05-2011, 05:30 PM
So targeted AoEs are going to be fixed back to how they were? What's the ETA on this fix? We Wizards anxiously await :)

edit: just hit 34 and tried out Circle of Force in the hopes that it would work, but 100% resist.

Kamasu-WV
03-06-2011, 08:28 PM
We Wizards anxiously await :)

:D Yes we do. Thanks for fixing it (whenever that may be)

Rhodes
03-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Looks like there's some kind of patch tonight. /crosses fingers

Benebric
03-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Some extra wierdness. The level 49 druid spell "Fire" WILL kill mobs - it's AE just like Lightning Strike

Rhodes
03-07-2011, 02:36 AM
Looks like they just fixed it. Devs, I owe you 1,000 blowjobs.

Messianic
03-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Looks like they just fixed it.

Is this truly confirmed? I'll try to do some quadding tonight and post here to confirm as well...

Rhodes
03-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Is this truly confirmed? I'll try to do some quadding tonight and post here to confirm as well...

Works fine on my end.

SUSUGAM
03-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Sigh, fixed for everyone except rain spells. Rain spells still cannot finish off any mob over level 20.

August 26, 2003
longer happen.

Not only is there still no evidence that this was a long running problem, but the 10% hp criteria of the resist is not how it is presently working. 34% hp greater kobold in solb, full resist of 324 dmg wave of rain of swords, and not even giving messages of subsequent waves. This mob would have been killed by the wave.

Presently I believe the formula is acting from the %hp AFTER the wave would land, as opposed to before the wave lands. Thus, it sees that the wave would leave the mob at 0%, aka dead, and says... nope, resist! I could be wrong on this hypothesis. Either way, this doesn't seem correct at all. The mob in question was not below 10%, and therefore should not resist the spell. Presently, Rain of Swords is essentially useless, and at best, horribly inefficient and broken.

Are you really claiming that Rain of Swords has never killed a level 20+ mob pre-2003? Is this classic? Under all explanations of rain spells from 1999-2003, I don't see anything like "Oh btw, this spell cannot kill anything, only hurt it a bit." Seriously. 4 years of this mechanic and no-body mentioned it?

Some legit feedback on this mechanic would be highly appreciated. I gave tons of feedback already, and a fix came, but it did nothing but make fire beetles killable by Rain spells. I guess Rain spells were only meant to be used to farm fire beetle eyes.

/frustration

I will run some more detailed tests and figure out exactly when these mobs will/will not resist.

Kvappe
03-08-2011, 09:52 AM
I used mainly raid spells on my raiding wizard, it was from luclin tho, and never had trouple with getting kill shots on bosses with 3-4 rains running on it. so unless this was changed at some point they should be able to get kill shots. atleast the level 50+ rains from wizards.

SUSUGAM
03-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I used mainly raid spells on my raiding wizard, it was from luclin tho, and never had trouple with getting kill shots on bosses with 3-4 rains running on it. so unless this was changed at some point they should be able to get kill shots. atleast the level 50+ rains from wizards.

Thank you. Can about 50 more people come forth and vouch that Rain spells have killed mobs in classic EQ?

Boomlaor
03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I played a wizard for years on live, and for quite some time rains could not get killshots. I don't remember exactly when this changed, but I would estimate in the Luclin-PoP range.

SUSUGAM
03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
I played a wizard for years on live, and for quite some time rains could not get killshots. I don't remember exactly when this changed, but I would estimate in the Luclin-PoP range.

Quite some time, as in 4 years, or during said Luclin-PoP range? Luclin came out at the end of 2001, fix was in 2003.

Jarnin
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
According to this thread from December 2002 (http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?5176-Rain-line-of-spells), rains ceased to get killing blows around 2000 (AKA Velious). Why they'd be doing this in P99 at this point makes no sense.

SUSUGAM
03-08-2011, 11:07 PM
According to this thread from December 2002 (http://www.graffe.com/forums/showthread.php?5176-Rain-line-of-spells), rains ceased to get killing blows around 2000 (AKA Velious). Why they'd be doing this in P99 at this point makes no sense.

Ahhh, very nice find! :D Just what I've been looking for!

January 7th, 2003 09:36 AM -
I get the killing blow with Tears of Druzzil all the time, I normally get auto-resisted when a mob is around 10% of its health. Not sure how you are doing this unless a HUGE amount of damage is done at the same time that the rain procs.

Gorgetrapper
03-08-2011, 11:08 PM

You realize velious was released in december of 2000 (aka almost 2001), so saying it was velious is pretty naive.

Kunark however was released early 2000 (march 2000), so where is the evidence that this was changed durning velious release?

SUSUGAM
03-08-2011, 11:12 PM
You realize velious was released in december of 2000 (aka almost 2001), so saying it was velious is pretty naive.

Kunark however was released early 2000 (march 2000), so where is the evidence that this was changed durning velious release?

That said, the thread he found still goes against how things are working on P99 right now. Whether it was during kunark or velious doesn't really matter, as we're still pre-kunark. I can't find any info about when they changed it in that thread. But I can see that in January of 2003, it was getting kill shots on mobs with >10% hp left.

Edit: Ahh I see "This isn't a bug. They introduced that code into the game about 2 years ago. Wizards don't like the code, but I remember when it was put in." This would still place the change around 2001 at best. Not early 2000, and Velious was released December 5, 2000. And like I said, even after the change, it didn't take out kill shots altogether, it took out kill shots on mobs with <10% current hp.

SUSUGAM
03-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Any word on the status of this bug? I know that not very many seem to care because not many seem to use rain spells, but it has left me crippled personally. :( I don't mind the 10% thing, if that's classic, so be it. (I don't think it is) But if it is, I'd really like it to work as intended, and not have backwards coding. I posted a pretty strong hypothesis on how this is currently coded a couple posts back, just wondering if it has been taken into consideration or if this is decidedly settled and I should give up on the rain spell fight. I will miss you, Rain of Swords. :(

SwordNboard
03-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Targeted AOE's can now kill mobs. Rain AOE's never could finish a mob (even in classic).