PDA

View Full Version : In Kunark the right click on spell gem to select spells is being removed...

tristantio
02-18-2011, 02:33 PM
http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26504

If that feature is being removed will we still have /mem for spellset memorization or is that going to be disabled/removed as well?

Toehammer
02-19-2011, 07:30 PM
i have been looking for any evidence of this, and so far i can only find devs saying that the right-click option is gone, but nothing about spell sets getting taken away, thank god

fastboy21
02-19-2011, 09:30 PM
i love how so many people are on the hardcore classic bandwagon until some non-classic feature THEY like is removed...

Toehammer
02-19-2011, 09:33 PM
never been on the "hardcore" classic bandwagon... besides lots of things are not hardcore classic on here, purple item text, mob run speed, etc

but having right-click spells and memmed spell sets is a big improvement to a very annoying system

fastboy21
02-19-2011, 09:57 PM
read the mission statement of the project and realize that it isn't about an "improvement" to an "annoying" system. its all about getting as close to classic as possible. if you want the new and improved features you should play on fippy....they got em all.

Toehammer
02-19-2011, 10:36 PM
read the mission statement of the project and realize that it isn't about an "improvement" to an "annoying" system. its all about getting as close to classic as possible. if you want the new and improved features you should play on fippy....they got em all.

obviously you completely missed my point genius... if they kept everything classic then I would agree with you, but until they turn mob run speed down, remove purple item text, etc. your argument holds no weight because they have specifically chosen to make some things NOT classic

nice try though

fastboy21
02-20-2011, 12:00 AM
obviously you completely missed my point genius... if they kept everything classic then I would agree with you, but until they turn mob run speed down, remove purple item text, etc. your argument holds no weight because they have specifically chosen to make some things NOT classic

nice try though

wrong. they would like to remove those features but they CAN'T remove many of them.

you are correct that there are some features which they have implemented, but the only one that i can really think of off the top of my head is the tell queue when zoning. clearly a non classic feature, but they implemented on p99 after the server had been up for some time.

p.s. i don't see why you have to resort to name calling. if thats your bag, just start the thread in R and F next time.

Toehammer
02-20-2011, 12:59 AM
hehe, i never called you any name other than genius...

StinkyGreenBud
02-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Would you 2 like a room?

fastboy21
02-20-2011, 01:12 AM
hehe, i never called you any name other than genius...

yes, clearly meant with sincere kindness when done. piss off.

Toehammer
02-20-2011, 03:48 AM
wrong. they would like to remove those features but they CAN'T remove many of them.

you are correct that there are some features which they have implemented, but the only one that i can really think of off the top of my head is the tell queue when zoning. clearly a non classic feature, but they implemented on p99 after the server had been up for some time.

p.s. i don't see why you have to resort to name calling. if thats your bag, just start the thread in R and F next time.

although I am not actually sure if they can or can't remove some things, i would imagine they can change run speed and the purple text on items... maybe not i dunno, but if they can and have not then it is dumb for them to change some other thing

I use the purple text example because it is similar to the improved spell interface. It makes typing/clicking/tedious things that really don't improve the gaming experience just go away. I don't wanna type out all the stuff on an item I have to sell, nor do I want to read it. The spellsets and spell list function similarly. Why waste time flipping through pages or dragging and dropping.

I remember the biggest improvement from Diablo 1 to Diablo 2 was instituting a function where you could hold down the mouse button to continuously attack. It eliminated button mashing, something that was pointlessly annoying. Eliminating spellsets would be pointlessly annoying. These small changes improve the gameplay experience significantly. We could also bring back staring at your spell book to med (although not sure when this was originally changed).

I think that adhering strictly to a robot-like "must remain classic, mind inflexible cannot compute" attitude is detrimental. Although Sony screwed up many things later on, spellsets/list dropdowns weren't one of them. I see the spellsets/lists exactly like purple item text linking... saves time, saves spam/button mashing, and makes things smoother.

yes, clearly meant with sincere kindness when done. piss off.

don't get upset please, everything in jest, debating on the internet is fun

porigromus
02-20-2011, 08:07 AM
If they can take away the spell set load, great! This will provide a more classic like experience which is the goal of the project. Hopefully they can eventually fix the issue with the mob run speed as well.

fastboy21
02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
although I am not actually sure if they can or can't remove some things, i would imagine they can change run speed and the purple text on items... maybe not i dunno, but if they can and have not then it is dumb for them to change some other thing

I use the purple text example because it is similar to the improved spell interface. It makes typing/clicking/tedious things that really don't improve the gaming experience just go away. I don't wanna type out all the stuff on an item I have to sell, nor do I want to read it. The spellsets and spell list function similarly. Why waste time flipping through pages or dragging and dropping.

I remember the biggest improvement from Diablo 1 to Diablo 2 was instituting a function where you could hold down the mouse button to continuously attack. It eliminated button mashing, something that was pointlessly annoying. Eliminating spellsets would be pointlessly annoying. These small changes improve the gameplay experience significantly. We could also bring back staring at your spell book to med (although not sure when this was originally changed).

I think that adhering strictly to a robot-like "must remain classic, mind inflexible cannot compute" attitude is detrimental. Although Sony screwed up many things later on, spellsets/list dropdowns weren't one of them. I see the spellsets/lists exactly like purple item text linking... saves time, saves spam/button mashing, and makes things smoother.

don't get upset please, everything in jest, debating on the internet is fun

Here is the thing: I actually agree with you that there are some features that weren't in classic that got added that made the game better.

I agree that typing out all the stats on items, even though non-classic (it got added around the end of luclin/beginning of pop iirc) makes the game "better without losing the classic feel."

With the spell memming change, I would disagree. I think it does change the classic feel. Being a caster come with great advantages in EQ and relatively few disadvantages. One of the disadvantages was that you needed to stare at your spell book to meditate. (The devs have said before that they haven't been able to do this yet.)

Another disadvantage is that to switch up your spells in the middle of a fight was very difficult (you had to stop moving, sit down, open the book, flip through it to the right spell, unclick the memmed gem, click on the new spell, then wait the mem time---all the while btw, your spell book blocked your view of the area and if you got hit you would take full damage because you were sitting). Some of that difficulty still exists in the current system (sitting, waiting to mem, etc), but a good deal of it is removed.

Simply put, it makes changing spells mid-fight much easier. This isn't just a convenience change imo, like linking items instead of typing them out or tell queues, but a real change in a weakness of spell casters. I don't think its huge, and I don't think it DRASTICALLY changes the caster experience...but I think it is noticeable and does effect game play.

The problem with picking and choosing which "classic features" should or shouldn't be in the game is that everyone has their own opinion on what the standard should be. IMO, the best standard should be that if it wasn't actually in classic it simply shouldn't be here. That's only my opinion, and I respect those who see otherwise.

To be honest, I like many of the non-classic features. I think Sony (ducks and covers) wasn't always wrong in the changes they implemented. I am playing on vulak atm, and I actually think the gameplay feels fresh and smooth----definitely non classic BIG TIME---but fun and enjoyable nonetheless.

Volsic
02-20-2011, 12:50 PM
I'll be sad when it goes because I'll actually have to organize my spellbook... but I'll live.

Autotune
02-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Right clicking to change a spell is not that bad.

removing saved spell sets, will suck ass.

Thankfully I'm a necro. I feel sorry for all you other casters.

Nedala
02-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Remember when they changed duck-interupts-spells for like one day (on p99) ? It was changed so a spell was still interrupted not immediatly but after the cast was done, everyone was so used to duck interrupting spells that it was a real pain and was taken out shortly after. I think it would be the same with spell sets, people are used to it now, taking them out now would hurt a lot.

moklianne
02-20-2011, 04:58 PM
The problem with picking and choosing which "classic features" should or shouldn't be in the game is that everyone has their own opinion on what the standard should be. IMO, the best standard should be that if it wasn't actually in classic it simply shouldn't be here. That's only my opinion, and I respect those who see otherwise.

Well, when it comes to spells sets, you don't have to use them if you don't want to...much like I'm sure most are not using the original box-view UI, but you still can if you wish without taking the ability to use a newer one away from other users.

It is kinda of interesting how some 'enhancements' being rolled out are essentially feature nerfs. This is fine, as it goes along with the mission statement for the server. However, we'd like the population to grow, not shrink by making it more of a pain in the ass to play.

runlvlzero
02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Here is the thing: I actually agree with you that there are some features that weren't in classic that got added that made the game better.

I agree that typing out all the stats on items, even though non-classic (it got added around the end of luclin/beginning of pop iirc) makes the game "better without losing the classic feel."

With the spell memming change, I would disagree. I think it does change the classic feel. Being a caster come with great advantages in EQ and relatively few disadvantages. One of the disadvantages was that you needed to stare at your spell book to meditate. (The devs have said before that they haven't been able to do this yet.)

Another disadvantage is that to switch up your spells in the middle of a fight was very difficult (you had to stop moving, sit down, open the book, flip through it to the right spell, unclick the memmed gem, click on the new spell, then wait the mem time---all the while btw, your spell book blocked your view of the area and if you got hit you would take full damage because you were sitting). Some of that difficulty still exists in the current system (sitting, waiting to mem, etc), but a good deal of it is removed.

Simply put, it makes changing spells mid-fight much easier. This isn't just a convenience change imo, like linking items instead of typing them out or tell queues, but a real change in a weakness of spell casters. I don't think its huge, and I don't think it DRASTICALLY changes the caster experience...but I think it is noticeable and does effect game play.

To be honest, I like many of the non-classic features. I think Sony (ducks and covers) wasn't always wrong in the changes they implemented. I am playing on vulak atm, and I actually think the gameplay feels fresh and smooth----definitely non classic BIG TIME---but fun and enjoyable nonetheless.

I can agree with everything you say here, but is it really worth it? Now on a cleric its not a big deal, but for a class like shaman or enchanter its going to make it painful. I for one just am not sure it is a mechanic enough to warrant changing. When was FITB removed late kunark? Velious? were coming up on a time when half this stuff would need to be re-implemented anyway lol, although I am pretty sure right click spells were post luclin.

skipdog
02-21-2011, 12:05 PM
What is wrong with mob run speed? I thought it was the same as it was back in the day...

karsten
02-21-2011, 12:49 PM
i have always been a fan of "as close to classic without being super annoying and stupid" hence my aversion to things like the boats. This is another thing that is >< and will make shaman raid burnout as bad as bard raid burnout :( would heartily ask and encourage this change to not be implemented :/

odizzido
02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Making the interface worse isn't really something that I think should be done. There is a difference between making the gameplay classic and making the UI classic. True classic would be playing in a tiny 400X300 box in the middle of the screen with no chat channels staring at a spell book. It would make the game almost unplayable. The only reason it was acceptable back in 1999 is because people didn't know any better.

Anyways I am just going to make different spell sets for my spells. Pet stuff, self buffs, ports, etc. Slightly more annoying but not terrible.

skipdog
02-21-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't see what positive thing removing spellsets would add to the game. Why remove one tiny portion of the UI and not force the ultra-classic UI that is a major pain? Why arent we staring at spellbooks if this change is only being done so the game is "classic"?

Kassel
02-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Nilbog said they can not add the spell book due to the client, if he could he would have.