PDA

View Full Version : New Player Considering Joining

OneEyedJack
02-17-2011, 01:04 PM
I've been googling quite a bit in search of a classic EQ server, and stumbled upon Project 1999. In all honesty I was looking for a server that could take me back to the days when level 24 was max and the old UI was kind of a pain in the rear, but I understand most people didn't really care for it. I'm giving serious consideration to joining this server, but have a few questions.

1. How difficult is this to set up? I am not the most technologically advanced. (And that's putting it politely)
2. I saw a thread about someone stealing stuff... I don't remember that being part of the game? Or is he just trolling?
3. Is this a pvp sever?
4. Is there a way to use the old UI?
5. What time does the server come down for maintenence? What time zone is it based out of?

I'm sure I have many other questions... but I'll keep browsing the forums to try and find the answers I need. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kassel
02-17-2011, 01:09 PM
1) easy
2) very rare but it happens just like it did in 1999
3) nope
4) I think so, check the FAQ

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1002

5) There is no regular maintenence

You should check it out, this server has blown away all my expectations.

OneEyedJack
02-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds great, I look forward to giving it a shot when I get home tomorrow afternoon.

jtaddei
02-17-2011, 01:39 PM
i just recently started too and here is some beginner's advice. Don't try to start your char near freeport - sure it'll be safer and easier to beg for buffs in EC tunnel but finding scraps of mobs to kill will be annoying.

If you're like me and don't feel like begging every 10 minutes for refreshes you should try starting in Gfay. There are plenty of other "fresh starters" there to group with and a lot of orcs that need killing. Butcherblock is a safe distance from Kelethin. GROUP GROUP GROUP! The exp goes much faster here when you group up - at least it seems like it.

And it'll be slow - so play with that mindset and don't expect to be lvl 10 by the end of your first day, unless you do some serious poopsocking.

Krimsin
02-17-2011, 01:49 PM
i just recently started too and here is some beginner's advice. Don't try to start your char near freeport - sure it'll be safer and easier to beg for buffs in EC tunnel but finding scraps of mobs to kill will be annoying.

If you're like me and don't feel like begging every 10 minutes for refreshes you should try starting in Gfay. There are plenty of other "fresh starters" there to group with and a lot of orcs that need killing. Butcherblock is a safe distance from Kelethin. GROUP GROUP GROUP! The exp goes much faster here when you group up - at least it seems like it.

And it'll be slow - so play with that mindset and don't expect to be lvl 10 by the end of your first day, unless you do some serious poopsocking.

Go to EC. Beg for 50pp. Port to Gfay. Buy CB Belts/pads. Ding,ding,ding,ding,ding....PROFIT!

Tiphae
02-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Go to EC. Beg for 50pp. Port to Gfay. Buy CB Belts/pads. Ding,ding,ding,ding,ding....PROFIT!

This. Can easily get to level 6/7/8 or higher with enough cb belts/pads. Turn them into canloe nusback in kaladim. He also gives some minor coin and a piece of tattered armor.

Nedala
02-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Regarding UIs check this thread:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11949

tho the links seem broke atm i hope it gets fixed soon.

Orov
02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
Great server. You're going to love it here.

omegadot
02-17-2011, 02:47 PM
This server is a great nestalgia blast, you won't be sad to have at least tried it.

stonebeard22
02-17-2011, 03:16 PM
You will love it here, it has been nothing but a blast! Playing into week 3 now and still having a great time and also found a great guild to join up with.

However to forums can be really really bad, but I have yet to see that in game.

Jenni D
02-17-2011, 03:25 PM
have fun :) beware you'll probably lose your social life for the first couple of months!

tristantio
02-17-2011, 03:34 PM
I can confirm that this server is indeed awesome.

Contrary to what was recommended previously, I would say hang near EC tunnel until 12 or so hunting in EC, then NRO and finally WC so you can hit up the tunnel every half hour or so for buffs.

People are extremely generous with buffs while standing around there and it is not that hard to snag a high level damage shield/clarity/regen/sow even during non-peak hours.

I took my first character here to level 10 out at the Erudite homelands and it took about 5 times longer than my human who begged buffs :)

Edit: Also very easy to set up, just follow the step by step guides. This even runs on Linux/MAC using WINE if you play on a non-Windows OS.

Spewys
02-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Yeah..don't let the forum trolls guide ur opinion of the server.

50 war ---- Spewys Dutchmaster ---- Peace Pipe

shuklak
02-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Yeah..don't let the forum trolls guide ur opinion of the server.

50 war ---- Spewys Dutchmaster ---- Peace Pipe
I totally think this server looks great and seems like a fun time. however, you are right, and it seems like there is more than a few forum people who are bitter and nasty. (that's just my observation as a brand new forum member.)

Extunarian
02-17-2011, 04:17 PM
it seems like there is more than a few forum people who are bitter and nasty. (that's just my observation as a brand new forum member.)

I think in general the really nasty ones don't even play on the server.

OneEyedJack
02-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Wow! Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I was planning on starting in Gfay since that's what I'm most comfortable with. Will make a mage, druid or necro most likely... Probably not a necro thinking back they had faction issues, even as a gnome. but some day a necro for sure. I bought EQ the day it came out and loved it for a very long time. Retired as a 85 bard, but got tired having to 2 box a wizzy with him just to be able to keep playing. Have been searching for that nostalgic EQ. Seems I've finally found it. Won't be accepting plat or buffs for now... I want to struggle like I use to back in the day. Eff! I died (*spams*/loc) Probably still have my binder of printed maps from Atlas too... As for the trolls, every forum has them. It's life. =) Look forward to seeing you all in game, I'll post my toon's name once I get it strait.

Nedala
02-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Regarding UIs check this thread:

http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11949

tho the links seem broke atm i hope it gets fixed soon.

it's working again :)

shuklak
02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
lol... spamming /loc now that's old school!

Dyrkoon
02-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I have been here almost 2 months now and i am a couple lvl's from my first lvl 50 toon..yes im slow..).
Awsome server and for the most part awsome community too.

Curmudgen
02-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Dyrkoon if that is slow then I am glacial! 6 months and highest toon is 29 haha!

Wisetree
02-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Dyrkoons lying he's been here for about 4 months.. yeah exp can be a grind, if you're used to emu's with exp mods this is going to be painful and rewarding at the same time. The first few times you die and lose alot of exp you're going to want to cry and smash your keyboard....

zianlo1
02-19-2011, 02:17 AM
Dyrkoons lying he's been here for about 4 months.. yeah exp can be a grind, if you're used to emu's with exp mods this is going to be painful and rewarding at the same time. The first few times you die and lose alot of exp you're going to want to cry and smash your keyboard....

I broke my mouse when I did a cr that I couldnt get back to on Kerra Isle =(

OneEyedJack
02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Alright, so I got EQ squared away for the most part... Still working on the UI, but here's a couple of my toon names.
Geadaien - Druid (main)
Stinnky - Mage (Wizzleteets when I make 20)
Corlagon - Necro