PDA

View Full Version : Jboots

ziffiz
06-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Im sure this is a dead horse topic, but Im new.

Im 35 Wizard now and would like to get Jboots so I can quad. Please fill me in on what to expect.

First character on server. I have 400p total. Im told I need about 7K to purchase MQ.

Not interested in Dial a Port. Have a day job already. I dont want a job in a fantasy game.

A/C camps free for all? Anyone assisting new players to get the ring? Recommendations?

Predicted responses:

1) /reroll druid
2) Start porting for plat
3) Join a guild and have them help
4) Buy SoW pots
5) Learn to live without them because I need them on my 8th character
6) The overlords of p1999 will tell you when are worthy of jboots
7) Stop shaving your neck and get a really big sock if you are serious about getting jboots and beating Everquest

Kenzi
06-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Im sure this is a dead horse topic, but Im new.

Im 35 Wizard now and would like to get Jboots so I can quad. Please fill me in on what to expect.

First character on server. I have 400p total. Im told I need about 7K to purchase MQ.

Not interested in Dial a Port. Have a day job already. I dont want a job in a fantasy game.

A/C camps free for all? Anyone assisting new players to get the ring? Recommendations?

Predicted responses:

1) /reroll druid
2) Start porting for plat
3) Join a guild and have them help
4) Buy SoW pots
5) Learn to live without them because I need them on my 8th character
6) The overlords of p1999 will tell you when are worthy of jboots
7) Stop shaving your neck and get a really big sock if you are serious about getting jboots and beating Everquest

Jboot camp is heavily camped, but if you are willing to do a little leg work and waiting you can get it.

On a side note, if you decide porting for cash is your thing, you can have 7k in about a week or 2; probably how long it will take you to camp AC.

Whirled
06-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Probably all of the above.
Camp it if you want or buy (or make) SoW potions.

Baler
06-20-2017, 12:26 PM
You will want Jboots or traveler boots on a wizard. never thought I'd say that..
However SoW Pot 100 plat EC price,. is 6 hours of sow. So if you can make ~100 plat in 6 hours that pays for that 10 dose potion.

As your level gets higher your quad ability increases. I say Keep on grinding,. Wizard is not an ez mode class tbh. But it's pretty rewarding at high levels.

I'm certain people will provide you with lots of info as this subject is as you mention been beaten to death.

Lhancelot
06-20-2017, 12:35 PM
Buy sow pots grind your lvls out, and while you do this take breaks at 850pm game time and port into Sro. Watch for the AC he spawns in a random spot in Sro at 9pm sharp. If you see nothing, he did not spawn.

Eventually over time you will catch a break and score the AC in Sro. Just keep checking while you level up. The AC in Sro is 32 lvl you can probably solo him now.

If you happen to get to get to 45+ and still have no Jboots, you can opt to camp the AC in OOT if you got the time. Otherwise, just keep checking Sro.

Once I ran across the AC on my druid in Sro and I wasn't even in the zone for him. This tells me, eventually you will get him if you actively try.

kaluann
06-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Just port into Sro at 8pm and hope you get lucky. SoW pots are fine in the meantime but maybe make a /time macro and click it occasionally when you're quadding.

I got extremely lucky on my wizzy and got AC my first time ever porting there. Then I got greedy and would port over there occasionally at 8pm to try my luck at another ring but gave up after a few attempts. Its amazing that you'll see the same people there everytime at 8pm...

If all else fails, try OOT AC in like 10 levels and know you'll get it if you spend the time waiting

Tenlaar
06-20-2017, 01:35 PM
So how do you report somebody for spamming on these forums, anyway?

ziffiz
06-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Swish never gives up.

I prefer to help other characters rather than kill them so I think I will stick with blue.

Lhancelot
06-20-2017, 01:37 PM
Swish never gives up.

I prefer to help other characters rather than kill them so I think I will stick with blue.

Don't crush Swish like that, be gentle he is a fragile soul.

Triiz
06-20-2017, 02:08 PM
At 35 you definitely can't kill the OOT AC, which leaves your only option as the S. Ro AC and comparatively it is a shit show since that is the nature of FFA. If you have a Staff of Temperate Flux that would be a big advantage over most classes in getting FTE on S. Ro AC, but unless you play during extremely non-peak hours (like 3 am EST) your chances just aren't very good.

I know it was in your list of responses you didn't want, but SOW pots are the way to go until you're high enough to camp OOT AC imo. I've camped OOT AC for 2 different toons and find the forums dramatically overstate how bad getting the camp is, at least during the times I play. If the list is real long, just try again on a different day. Once you have the camp its just a matter of riding it out. Sometimes 2 AC's in a row will spawn, sometimes it can be 8+ hours so do it on a day off.

You could also farm the 6k or so, but at 35 that's going to take quite a while.

Muggens
06-20-2017, 02:30 PM
just be smart and resourceful you will earn 7k swiftly

ziffiz
06-20-2017, 03:14 PM
Thank you all for the information. Here is hoping luck is on my side.

Maliant
06-20-2017, 06:04 PM
You are close to being able to do geonids in CC, they drop gems that sell for up to 200pp, my mage made 2k per farm session there at around level 40 or so.

Maliant
06-20-2017, 06:39 PM
They are also good exp, by the time I was level 45-46 I had saved up 10k pp. You'll have more than enough to buy jboots and be in quadding shape for your next adventure.

Foxplay
06-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Don't bother with OOT until later. As someone said buy SoW pots they are cheap and get yourself some levels, You can also bind in the EC tunnel and ask for SoW and Clarity(people often cast for free here) provided you quad near a spire or ring you can self gate too.

Don't join DaP if you don't want too, possibly just port on the side from time to time, or join DaP and go anon when you want to get exp, and turn anon off when you want to make some plat and slowly work towards that 7k ish mark. DaP is a great place for druids and wizards alike, as a wizard you a pretty much limited to quad kiting druids have more flexibility but many of the druids in DaP will be able to help you with SoW or advice in quad spots.

Pop into Sro a bit before its spawn time and see if you get lucky. If you still havent gotten a ring as you advance into the high 40s or low 50s you could at this time think about getting on the OOT list for AC if you are still struggling with plat.

guinness
06-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Geos would be pretty tough for a 40-45 wizard since they are in a pretty tight corridor and there is nowhere to kite them. Root+nuking would be horrendously inefficient and dangerous as well since they have quite a bit of hp and hit pretty hard for their level. It might be doable, but I really don't think it'd be very good exp. Other classes can handle it way better.

Rathe mountain hill giants are a decent option for cash-kiting in the mid-upper 30s. Exp is only okay, but the coin is good if there's no one else there.

But really you're likely best off exp grinding as quick as you can just using SoW pots. Back before my wiz had jboots I could usually do 3 or 4 quads per shot of a potion. Sure it feels kind of expensive having to buy SoW pots frequently, but it's actually pretty cheap for the benefit you get. A 100p pot is 6 hours worth of SoW which is a pretty good deal. Plus SoW is still quite a bit faster than Jboots which makes kiting even easier, especially if you can get the timing down to nuke, run, sit for a tick of med, and repeat.

Wizards can quad really quickly from 34 up into the low-mid 50s, at which point you can easily camp the OOT AC yourself or farm other stuff to make cash to MQ them.

Maliant
06-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Thanks Guinness, I went their with my mage and tore through them at that level but I guess mages are OP, I haven't played a wizard for well over a decade. Well I am sure there are alternatives but they all have to suck compared to how good geos are for that level.

Uuruk
06-21-2017, 03:32 AM
AC is always up on red because the server is deader than a pile of bricks

xtraball
06-21-2017, 04:07 AM
I love cats

Jimjam
06-21-2017, 05:24 AM
You'll be pleased to know wizard is a pretty good class for competing on the South Ro Ancient Cyclops. With Sow buff/potion and staff of temperate flux you have a good chance to be the one to land first tag. If you bind in zone, you can watch for pop at one spot then gate to a second spot to widen your coverage.

However, in honesty?

I have jboots on my wizard.

Yet, to kite I much, much prefer using sow. It gives you much more wriggle room and lets you bunch your kites more effectively. Lots of mobs can outrun sow too.

So much so, I recommend carrying at least one sow pot on a character, even if it has jboots.

Lhancelot
06-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Yet, to kite I much, much prefer using sow. It gives you much more wriggle room and lets you bunch your kites more effectively. Lots of mobs can outrun sow too.

I don't know of lots of mobs that outrun sow. I think you meant maybe they can outrun Jboots?

Even this is a little bit overstated, I have kited/qaudded tons of mobs and cannot really think of any that gave me trouble when using Jboots and I know I have never had a mob outrun my druid with sow.

I avoided Othmir shamans, but that's the only thing I can think of that might give Jboots trouble where you'd need sow?

Also the fact the wizard should be landing snares on the mobs asap means the Jboot speed will only be that much more compounded over the mobs speed.

Jimjam
06-22-2017, 02:07 AM
I absolutely meant lots of mobs can out run jboots, not SoW. Thank you for picking up on that mistake!

Toiletzombie
06-22-2017, 02:14 AM
Kunark Rhino's could defiantly outrun JBoots.

isoka
06-22-2017, 03:03 AM
Even this is a little bit overstated, I have kited/qaudded tons of mobs and cannot really think of any that gave me trouble when using Jboots and I know I have never had a mob outrun my druid with sow.

Phase spiders in DN are perfect example of where you want a SoW to quad, especially considering their snare resist rate.
TD Raptors used to run fast too, don't know if it changed since I didn't quad those for years now.
Gorge hounds in karanas and Rhinos in OT are also outrunning jboot speed.

Now, to OP : I recently bought an AC ring MQ for 5k. Had to provide the gold and rapier, but that's still a very good price. Check out the market before buying at 7k

Nommis
06-22-2017, 03:18 AM
Tl;dr version

>OP wants jboots
>OP lists the best alternatives, options, and solutions
>OP doesn't want to do any of those
>OP wants jboots?

Ravager
06-22-2017, 07:09 PM
If you want to get up in the morning, you can usually find SRo empty. Run around the desert at 9pm game time and have a 1 in 10 chance at picking up a ring. I've gotten a couple that way, no camping and no bullshit involved.

I have a 60 wizard. I argue strongly against using sow pots if you can help it, unless you're making more than 5pp per quad, because that's what your pot charge is going to cost you for each one since you're realistically only going to get about 2 quads per charge. That will add up fast to the 7k you'd spend on JBoots anyway.

Jimjam
06-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Make friendly chat to the farmers. If you are in zone for the kill and they know you have been at it a while, they might be able to give you a better price for the loot rights to save them the bother of running an MQ.

2k seems like a reasonable offer.

nostalgiaquest
06-22-2017, 07:18 PM
I absolutely meant lots of mobs can out run jboots, not SoW. Thank you for picking up on that mistake!

wait... jboots are slower than sow? say whhaaaa?

Jimjam
06-22-2017, 07:24 PM
wait... jboots are slower than sow? say whhaaaa?

No, I don't. I say some mobs are faster than jboots, which is why you want sow (as it is faster)!

ziffiz
06-22-2017, 07:32 PM
All the great advice much appreciated. I have the Jboots. All I can say is that there are some great people playing here who arent in this game for the platinum. I hope to be able to assist others the same way.

nostalgiaquest
06-22-2017, 07:44 PM
I learned something today

Ravager
06-22-2017, 08:19 PM
All the great advice much appreciated. I have the Jboots. All I can say is that there are some great people playing here who arent in this game for the platinum. I hope to be able to assist others the same way.

Good deal, grats!

EliteJackson
06-22-2017, 08:19 PM
I am a no-time-to-play scrubadub, but got my Jboots myself by playing at off hours (1-5 AM CA time). Took several days of logging at the camps and playing alts or other things when camp was taken, but the ring is the only real challenge.

AC is not an easy mob for casters, as you are likely to be maintaining a camp and not always at full Mana. If you are not above it's level by a longshot, bring help. I solo'd in my low 40's I think.

After that you have to camp invisible dudes for days until a rapier appears. This was easy since they are no rent, nobody camping it.

Then you gotta strip light so you can run holding 3.2k gold, and find that sprinting midget for the most handy item in the game (imo).

Good luck bud.

EliteJackson
06-22-2017, 08:20 PM

Well I guess I will leave the above post for others. But grats man, that item increased enjoyment a ton.

Gumbo
06-22-2017, 08:43 PM
I laugh at threads now when it comes to talking about AC and SRO...

I was meeting someone in Oasis to buy some Ice Giant Toes so I ported in to SRO and headed to Oasis. I jumped over a sand hill heading north and ran right through AC. He cons green to me now and I thought I hit a Sand Giant at first. He was just standing, looking around and not a single player was there. So I said screw it and rooted and dotted him and got myself a AC ring. About 7 people in the zone and from the ones who weren't anonymous, I was the only one who was able to take on AC.

I guess sometimes being in the right place at the right time helps...