PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Rules

Rogean
02-07-2010, 12:13 AM
What do you think of the No Boxing Rules?

Recyclebin
02-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Even with the server growing I wish I could box sometimes because there have been more than a dozen times, I get on -- LFG, nothing for over 30 minutes while I sit at a exp solo spot.

Then I log.

People say groups should be easy to find, but as a 30 magician~ I've found but 1 group in a week.

Camerous
02-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I think 2 accounts would be fine. No more than that but 2 wouldn't adversely affect anything imo.

Recyclebin
02-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Sitting here the last 15 minutes with my thumb up my ass asking LFG too.

Boxing would be real swell for some of us that just can't seem to magically find a group.

Bograff
02-07-2010, 12:40 AM
You're complaining now about how long it takes to find a party. How hard will it be when everyone is just boxing their own little team of two?

Recyclebin
02-07-2010, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't notice a difference, because 1 group that I got into within a weeks time frame is pretty terrible.

I had to fight to get into that 1 group too.

Server may be growing but I just can't find groups for shit.

Goobles
02-07-2010, 12:43 AM
Sitting here the last 15 minutes with my thumb up my ass asking LFG too.

Boxing would be real swell for some of us that just can't seem to magically find a group.

Why is your thumb up your ass?

Recyclebin
02-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Why is your thumb up your ass?

To get my jolly's off

Plus what else do I have to do besides camp halfings till my eyes bleed because I /ooc 30 magician lfg around 6-10 times with not so much as a fart of interest.

Shads
02-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Maybe try to make your own group? Doesn't always work but usualy does.

Recyclebin
02-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Maybe try to make your own group? Doesn't always work but usualy does.

I know all the suggestions, etc.

Personally, honestly; not comfortable with forming my own group.

I just wish I could solve the mystery of logging in 2-3 times daily (different times of the day), advertising LFG for 30~ min each subsequent login attempt without a single whisper.

Funny enough, its the reason I gave up on my druid, no groups ever and I didn't want to kite exp all day, I have a 11 warrior and cleric that are on the burner right now but a warrior is garbage unless you have a nest egg to support it (my mage)

I've made 2500 plat because of the severe lack of grouping and being forced to kill mobs solo on my mage.

Yes mage is a solo class, but I ENJOY grouping. I just can't find any as soon as I got past level 20ish.

Pheer
02-07-2010, 01:35 AM
2 box maximum in my opinion

but so far it seems to go pretty well without any boxing

Tristin
02-07-2010, 01:49 AM
There server that I played off and on for almost two years had a max population of about 100 at peak hours. So we pretty much had to box all the time. I miss two boxing for a couple simple reason.

I boxed a Ranger and a Druid, not the greatest combo there ever was but still having those two classes came in handy in several differnt situations. I was able to buff/heal/port myself and I didnt have to rely on other people. I know that EQ is a communal effort game but there were times when I was glad I didnt have to bumb a ride from a guild mate and things like that.

I was able to do a lot of thing alone. I could camp gear, do quests, and exp on my own. Again I realize the differnt classes were made so we would pretty much have to depend on each other but at times its nice to just do your own thing, especially if you are just a casual player and only have about an hour to play a couple times a week. I wont deny as proactive as I am about it, its hard to find groups sometimes.

If two boxing is aloud on this server eventually will I take advantage of it? Yes.

If things stay the way they are will I continue to enjoy myself and be thankful for everyone who makes playing here possible? Yes.

Do I think two boxing will hurt the server? No.

Zithax
02-07-2010, 01:55 AM

this

Tristin
02-07-2010, 01:57 AM
I would really like to hear the opinion of someone who voted against it. I really dont want to start a fight. I am honestly interested in your thoughts on this.

Wildir
02-07-2010, 02:00 AM
I boxed on live for 7 years, and when I was 2 boxing I would allways bring along people with me, but I had a tank and a cleric and everything else was just extra. on this server, it seems that the 2 big things that make the groups go are the tanks and healers, which allmost every combo of 2 boxing only will consist of.

So, I vote for 2 boxing only! that way there is still room for people to group with them, and hopefully the kindness of the server will invite people to the boxing groups for exp.

Wildir
p.s. boxing was part of "classic", more so once kunark was out

Tristin
02-07-2010, 02:02 AM
I boxed on live for 7 years, and when I was 2 boxing I would allways bring along people with me, but I had a tank and a cleric and everything else was just extra. on this server, it seems that the 2 big things that make the groups go are the tanks and healers, which allmost every combo of 2 boxing only will consist of.

So, I vote for 2 boxing only! that way there is still room for people to group with them, and hopefully the kindness of the server will invite people to the boxing groups for exp.

Wildir
p.s. boxing was part of "classic", more so once kunark was out

QFT. This is an excellent point. We will all be more spread out when Kunark comes out whether it was released tomorrow or in october. Hopefuly the server just keeps getting bigger. I joined a progression server when Kunark was already out. It sucked.

rachel
02-07-2010, 02:43 AM
haha you guys sound like you already are two boxing.

No wonder the server population is growing so fast lol.

Like Bubbles said 90percent of the server is either MQ, Dual boxing, or just asshats.

Make A SOLO class if you can't level on your own.
Make groups if you want to group.

Lets change the rules so noone EVER groups on this server again?
Probably not a good idea.

Tristin
02-07-2010, 02:52 AM
haha you guys sound like you already are two boxing.

No wonder the server population is growing so fast lol.

Like Bubbles said 90percent of the server is either MQ, Dual boxing, or just asshats.

Make A SOLO class if you can't level on your own.
Make groups if you want to group.

Lets change the rules so noone EVER groups on this server again?
Probably not a good idea.

Two boxing doesnt really hurt grouping though. A lot of people wouldnt do it I think. I am for boxing for solo things. Also somthing to think about, two boxing would make it possible for smaller guilds to raid.

Winobot
02-07-2010, 03:04 AM
A 2 box maximum seems like a good number.

Aquafresh
02-07-2010, 03:46 AM

^

Witness
02-07-2010, 03:46 AM
A 2 box maximum seems like a good number.

how would they police it?

Somekid123
02-07-2010, 03:59 AM
Can you please add a "Fuck two boxing, ill leave the server and take my donations with me" choice?

Atennu
02-07-2010, 04:39 AM
No. Easy no. This server is great without people boxing. Even if you let someone 2box, and you have an extension you potentially have 4boxes. No. Lol.

Pheer
02-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Can you please add a "Fuck two boxing, ill leave the server and take my donations with me" choice?

Why? you already chose the "lets be a sarcastic asshole" option

Tristin
02-07-2010, 04:58 AM
Still haven't heard a real answer to why people are against this. The jist of the argument so far seems to be "If they allow two boxing people might play more than one character." um...

Hasbinbad
02-07-2010, 05:15 AM
I am 100% against any boxing of any kind. Please do not change this aspect of this server.

Lich
02-07-2010, 06:23 AM
No boxing please. Thanks

canardvc
02-07-2010, 06:24 AM
I voted "no thanks" because :
1. The server is doing good actually without allowing 2 boxing
2. In a group of 6 people are playing the best out of their character (not that it is hard to 2 box effectively, but still)
3. Some mobs are perma camped already

@ Recyclebin : I have been LFG for 1 hour yesterday and finally decided to take my thumb out of my ass and start my own group. Had 2 people come from Faydwer over to SolA and we've been doing good even without tank. It took some time, but we made it.

Kuldiin
02-07-2010, 07:12 AM
No boxing thanks.

Server working fine as it is. Plenty of other servers to go box on

Dabamf
02-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Boxing creates 2 problems:
(1)If you DON'T box, you are at a a disadvantage.
(2)2 average-played characters is better than 1 really well played character. Therefore skill becomes irrelevant.

Ghesta
02-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I voted no on boxing and let me explain why.

While my main is a druid and technically COULD solo for exp, I NEVER do. I hate soloing, it's boring and pointless. EQ is a MMO RPG. Massive multiplayer online.... not single player. When you get boxing you get people making groups with one or maybe two people.

I've started to get to know the community and the players around my level because I'm forced to group with them and get to know them. I've made some friends and found some people I wouldn't group with if you paid me.

If you allowed boxing I'd be rerolling a cleric / SK combo that day. It seems pointless and contrary to the feeling of the game. The idea is to recreate the FEELING of everquest in 1999 right? Back then no one boxed. There was no EQwindows, and extremely few people had the resources or the desire to play on two computers. Now a days my computer could probably run 6 instances of EQ at once.

Plus lets think about how this would affect camps. I could park a level 5 in Qhills at phyzjin or Hadden's spawn and then be off doing stuff with my druid. Holding the camp with a 2nd box while im off not feeling the pain of a camp. Then if a spawn pops, boom, gate there and then port back to the group after.

Lets keep things tight and as a single community and not allow boxing. There are plenty of other servers that do, yet P1999 always has the highest server pop every time I log in.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

yaaaflow
02-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Voted no boxing because I don't want to 2 box so none of you should be able to either!

Fenrisulfr
02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I hate boxing.

I think it's a waste.. There is a guy(or gal) that can just box ANYTHING practically except for raid mobs.. and not ever need help from someone.. That bothers me.

I like that EQ is a community where you have to team up and help one another.. I like that we ask for help to gather items for a common quest or cause.

It annoys me to no end to see someone just exp 2-3-4-5 or more characters at once and just have that many 50s or 60s whatever at once.. and doesn't take the time of day to get to know someone or have the actual STRUGGLE of the EQ.

Flat out, I would quit (again) from EQ if I had to deal with the endless boxing everyone would do.

Obama
02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
When this server started, people griped about not being able to box, but I saw the vision of this server and fully agreed with the decision. It is the right decision hands down.

It promotes grouping, it slows down the progress of everyone, it keeps the economy in better condition, it increases the difficulty of the game, it makes for a better server.

Right now I'm in ct, camping aof with a shaman that just happened to be here because I can't do it alone. Do you think I'd let him share a roll with me if boxing were an option? Not allowing boxes is one of the reasons this server has become popular, and I'm annoyed that it would even be polled, it makes me wonder if it was actually a consideration, which I really hope it wasn't.

redghosthunter
02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Well its all been said... Only thing i have to add is.

Frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.

PEQ did not start out as a 20 boxing/ MQing server. I do not ever want this server to go that way. Once you have people boxing they start to complain about controls of their box. Well to fix that the boxers will get MQ. Then we will be right where PEQ is -- 20 boxers running around with secondary programs altering clients.

Ow BTW, If things arn't going well for players- Don't pick a class that cant solo. I didn't chose the class im playing cause i expected the community to lead me around and give me gear.

Taminy
02-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I think it's a waste.. There is a guy(or gal) that can just box ANYTHING practically except for raid mobs.. and not ever need help from someone.. That bothers me.

They can already do this. They're called enchanters :p

Danth
02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
The primary benefit of multiple characters occurs once everyone is level 50 and melees are impossible to level without assistance. We've not even nearly reached that point yet. Therefore I see minimal benefit to a rule change. I echo the above sentiment: "Don't fix what isn't broken." By extension, I fully support multi-boxing once this server reaches a point where it becomes necessary. Far from being at that point yet, P1999 is still growing in population.

Most of the arguments in support seem rather short-sighted,''I want to play a group-oriented class, but still solo all the time!' or some variant therof. EQ in its current form provides plenty of options (Druid, Mage, Necromancer, etc) for people who want to predominantly solo. Groups are not hard to find if you put forth more effort than sitting halfheartedly on LFG. Requesting multi-boxing for the mere convenience of it, absent any real need, amounts to little better than wanting to have your cake and eat it too. Granted, I don't blame the folks who enjoy it--I do sympathize--but all the same, it doesn't make for a very compelling argument either.

I admit I'm gradually becoming biased against the pro-boxing crowd as a whole, due to their fundamental dishonesty dating back to this project's beta when they swore up and down that we'd have 40 or 50 people at most. Such doesn't help their cause.

In the interest of fairness, I'll state that my opinions, such as they are, are those of someone who dislikes operating multiple characters and wouldn't do it even with a rule change. I don't see 2-boxing as something that harms anyone at an individual level, nor do people who enjoy it bother me (although their arguments are growing tiring). However, I do see some negatives at the serverwide level which, as yet, are not overshadowed by the advantages of this gameplay method. That may change in the future.

EDIT: The existence of a poll seems rather pointless; I consider the outcome a foregone conclusion. A great many people within this community are so....obsessed with multiboxing, so mindlessly hateful of it, that they'll stop at no lengths to demonize and oppose it. I, personally, have even been accused of multi-boxing (what a laugh!) for no better reason than I'm a middle age adult with a wife who also likes EQ. I figure it's something of a witch-hunt mentality. I oppose such extremism and give it no weight. As such, my opinion could be considered centrist with a bias towards maintaining the status quo until such a time as change becomes necessary.

Danth

Myth
02-07-2010, 01:19 PM
I voted no boxing. It will ruin the immersion. Plain and simple.
I'm a Druid too. I could have soloed last night but instead I got a tell
from a Mage named August and we spent like 6 hours in Najena and Befallen. We died quite a few times and almost lost our bodies but it was fun as hell farting around in these dungeons together

myth - 21 druid

ps - thanks Broot. I hope you got your jboots

Scrooge
02-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Make some friends, then you'll have people to group with daily. It doesn't always have to be random.

Camerous
02-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Frog is placed in boiling water, it will jump out, but if it is placed in cold water that is slowly heated, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death.\

That's actually a myth btw. Just saying. :-)

Aaron
02-07-2010, 02:35 PM
No boxing. Not ever.

gprater
02-07-2010, 02:48 PM
voted no.

I have boxed before I live servers in the past few years because I was so far below the average level of the server. I do admit that being able to easily transfer gear and coins would be a benefit, but anything that would further degrade the socialization (grouping) would be bad.

Even if you box , you are still soloing. I have always said (out loud too) that I cannot understand why people would play an MMO and not want to group. Its like going to great Italian restaurant and ordering a hotdog, why go in the first place. Anyway, here is my analysis of the LFG situation. Often we have all seen multiple people LFGing in chat that are in range of each other and would make a good group. Heck, there is even people who speak up and points it out, by saying something like" hey Bob, joe, martha , and Jill, you are all LFG why not start one?"

Here is why I think they dont a lot of times. I have noticed that if I say, "level 12 rogue LFG", I get fewer offers than if I say, "level 12 rogue starting an oasis group please send a tell if you want to join." When I do the latter I ALWAYS get more responses than the former. This has happened in about every MMO Ive played. In LOTRO its kind of the way most people form PUG's. 2/6 LFM..blah blah. Ive seen this used a lot here too. I feel that here, there are some people who just dont want to be the one who takes the lead and actually starts the group. Maybe people are shy of that responsibility or just are uncomfortable with the invite/grouping mechanics, so they stay silent when they see someone LFG, even though they might be in the same zone and of the correct level.

sorry for rambling...

BTW, to the folks who created this server and work hard for no money/reward....this is the most fun I have had in MMO in over 3 years.

Thank you,

Greg

Taluvill
02-07-2010, 05:10 PM
BTW, to the folks who created this server and work hard for no money/reward....this is the most fun I have had in MMO in over 3 years.

Thank you,

Greg

Yeah, completely agree

Saltinecracker
02-07-2010, 05:24 PM
No..then this server would be no different than the other ones. EQ is hard and should be hard. Boxing will mess everything up. People will make chars like monk/shaman and then level up never grouping with anyone and then go camp and get what ever they wont.. the economy and the community will crash .. :-/

L2Phantom
02-07-2010, 08:20 PM
DO NOT EVER allow boxing! It will turn into another little anti-social game where everyone and their dog has their own porter, healer, tank, slower, whatever and just sits in the corner of a dungeon by themselves and farms all day. It's EXACTLY what has happened in EQLive with boxing and mercenaries, it's completely anti-social. If it wasn't for raiding, guilds would have no reason to exist on EQLive with the current state of the game.

I just found out about this server and I honestly think its very hard and that is what classic was. Just because you have to actively be social and ask for groups or try to make friends doesn't mean you need to box. It's how the game is/was/forever will be meant to be played.

This server is succeeding for a reason, its unique and the rules are enforced, almost to the point of being EQLive quality or better. Stand firm with your rules, they are perfect and really give people a reason to play here since "The Company" has seemed to have completely forgotten the idea of ever coming out with a Progression server. I think that idea is forever dead in the water and because of that people will be looking for alternatives.

Myth
02-07-2010, 10:00 PM
I would like to add that the cons of boxing far outweigh the pros. The only reason anyone would support multi boxing is for the benefit of themselves and to the detriment of the community, which is very selfish.

If any pro-boxer has a valid argument that differs from my opinion please speak up but I think you will have a very hard time arguing your point if it can be met with the response of "that's selfish".

Anuril
02-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Many people already 2 box on this server. It is pretty obvious when you are grouping with someone doing so. Seems a lot of people with an "IP Exemption" sure do seem to have very quiet/mentally slow "wife's" or "younger brothers". I say we gather up all current illegal dual boxers and drown em in some lava.

jelatin
02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
One of the great things about this server is the fact that you have to interact with other people to get things done. I don't really want every camp in the game to just be 1 person 2+ boxing or PLing their alts.

Talori
02-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Now does this non-boxing affect those of us who have a family with 3 computers all networked together? We noticed that only one of us can log in to the game at a time, so we are unable to actually play together :(

Is there a way that we can all play at the same time?

Finawin
02-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Petition section of the forums.

Post a request for an IP exemption for you and whoever else wishes to play simultaneously.

canardvc
02-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Many people already 2 box on this server. It is pretty obvious when you are grouping with someone doing so. Seems a lot of people with an "IP Exemption" sure do seem to have very quiet/mentally slow "wife's" or "younger brothers". I say we gather up all current illegal dual boxers and drown em in some lava.
I was about to ask, what about those ALREADY boxing ? I came across a few, some got reported and are still playing.

How is multi-boxing handled actually ?

Qi0
02-08-2010, 07:37 AM
I have absolutely nothing against boxing in most games. However, there are two big issues with boxing on P99:

- No subscription fee means there are only upsides to having multiple accounts
- Server population seems solid enough to where it would only hurt things

For those reasons, I think it's pretty clear the current policy is the right one.

Packet
02-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Why not just increase full group XP? This would encourage people to group with one another more. It's obvious that two boxing will never be allowed (which I support) but it's also obvious that this problem will never reach a solution without action.

I'd rather solo than group sometimes because I get large blocks of experience and I only rely on myself. The downside is that I am an enchanter and it's easy to solo for me because I rely on my red conned pet to do most of the work. What about Monks, Warriors, Rogues and other classes that cannot solo the same way that I do? They get the short end of the stick and I think that I should be more encouraged to group with them. What better encouragement would that be if I got more experience for having a full group? I'm not saying, give everyone 'solo xp' per mob in the group. I'm just saying adding more experience would make it worth my time.

I have absolutely nothing against boxing in most games. However, there are two big issues with boxing on P99:

- No subscription fee means there are only upsides to having multiple accounts
- Server population seems solid enough to where it would only hurt things

For those reasons, I think it's pretty clear the current policy is the right one.

This is a good idea too though. How about making a $15/mo boxing fee? I'd pay it and I'd be supporting the server costs. You can setup subscriptions in paypal and make it run php scripts (upon payment or when they stop paying) that would plug into the emu database to add/deny privileges. This may be a bit far fetched and some may disagree but I think it would be a good idea and help support the server adding to its assets.

messiah_b
02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Crap sorry misread the question.

Boxing is terrible. Probably the best rule on the server.

nilbog
02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I think its important to this server's health, and should stay.

I voted for this one.

Derazor
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Remove it. I would definitely play if I could box.

However, as stands, the bulk of players now are all end game and were that way very quickly. I didnt have as much time to commit, and especially after taking a break after the DDoS attacks...there are very few people to level with.

Not to mention..boxing was classic! It was lots of fun. Bring on the boxing!

Packet
02-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Any debates on my ideas? I'm just curious for the sake of a constructive argument.

Myth
02-08-2010, 03:32 PM
If boxers paid then they would argue that they are, for lack of a better word, better than non boxers because they are supporting the server by paying a sub fee.

Not to mention once people start paying they start threatening to cancel if things aren't fixed...

Packet
02-08-2010, 04:24 PM
If boxers paid then they would argue that they are, for lack of a better word, better than non boxers because they are supporting the server by paying a sub fee.

Not to mention once people start paying they start threatening to cancel if things aren't fixed...

How would them arguing that they're better than others effect anyone or anything?

Also, if people threaten to cancel - it doesn't effect the server directly because of the following reasons.

A - The server is doing fine without their subscriptions.
B - They would be paying for the ability to 2box, not for the ability to play.

If the arguement turns to "if the server is fine without their subscriptions, then why do it?"; my reply is that it helps secure the server and even pose the possibility of future upgrades and/or financial problems that we may encounter.

If a player were to threaten to cancel his subscription because something isn't fixed or goes his way, then let them cancel. They'd be paying strictly for the right to 2-box and nothing more. If there was a subscription to play, then I would understand but this wouldn't be the case.

Shads
02-08-2010, 04:32 PM
No! Dual boxing destroyed the community on live even more than the bazzar did imho.

I do agree with the xp mod for full groups being increased. Enchanters, necros and mages can help groups alot, however a lot of the people playing them would rather solo simply because they can get the same or better exp without having to rely on other people. This would give them a reason to want to group :p

L2Phantom
02-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Remove it. I would definitely play if I could box.

However, as stands, the bulk of players now are all end game and were that way very quickly. I didnt have as much time to commit, and especially after taking a break after the DDoS attacks...there are very few people to level with.

Not to mention..boxing was classic! It was lots of fun. Bring on the boxing!

Wrong.

1) Boxing was not classic. Barely anyone did it back when the game first came out, most PC's alone weren't powerful enough to process 2 clients. The game became famous for its player to player based interaction and its community; boxers kill community and encourage playing by yourself. This is what EQLive has become, do we really want that? I sure don't.

2) Bulk of player being endgame is a flat out lie. I logged in for the first time this week and saw very few 50's online and almost everyone still leveling up. In every zone I went to I saw people leveling just like I was. There were groups forming for 'orc hill' and 'crushbone' and people forming groups for 'unrest' and sol a.

3) "It would make you play?" Really? Why aren't you playing right now? Letting you box isn't going to suddenly revitalize your interest in the game, groups are everywhere, just be social and go find one. If the grind is too hard in which you need your own little buff bot team then perhaps this isn't the server for you.

This server is unique, don't turn it into the same trash that the other 50 private servers are. If they want boxes, let can play in seclusion by themselves on another realm. For those of us who enjoy community, not allowing boxing is essential to the servers health.

And I agree that group XP should be increased.

drplump
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Sony would fly up Rogean and Nilbogs asses so fast if they charged a subscription fee.

Shads
02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Sony would fly up Rogean and Nilbogs asses so fast if they charged a subscription fee.

Lol, without question the server would be down indefintely :p

Packet
02-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I doubt Sony even pays attention to EqEmu anymore. Adding a subscription as a bonus wouldn't be an issue I think but adding a subscription for 'game play' would be I'm sure.

Plus, Shards of Dalaya does it and they haven't had any issues (lately).

Reiyz
02-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Wrong.

1) Boxing was not classic. Barely anyone did it back when the game first came out, most PC's alone weren't powerful enough to process 2 clients. The game became famous for its player to player based interaction and its community; boxers kill community and encourage playing by yourself. This is what EQLive has become, do we really want that? I sure don't.

You are by far as wrong as anyone has ever been. Back in the day you didn't run two clients on one PC, you actually used two PC's. Hence where 2boxing got it's name. Maybe I only hung out with powergamers during my tenure on EQLive, but a large majority of the people I played with owned two+ computers, and two+ accounts, including myself.

Allowing players to run no more then TWO CHARACTERS at a time will in no way kill the community. You'll be able to exp by yourself, but in the long run it's still much more efficient to have a full group in a dungeon somewhere XP'ing. Not being able to 2box kind of kills the casual player, such as myself at this point. I've logged in less and less in the past month since I was away for a few weeks at the end of December and my friends blew past me in levels. I'm playing a warrior, and if I can't find a group, which is about 75% of the time, I can solo a low blue con and then bind wound back to 50% and sit around for 10 minutes regaining the rest of my health. If able to 2box, I'd be able to at least box a healer and gain exp more efficiently while building a group.

If someone wants to play by themselves, that's their decision though, isn't it? I think two boxing or not, players who don't wish to take part in this grand "community" you speak of find a way to play by themselves.

Zithax
02-08-2010, 06:04 PM
I'd like to hear some legitimate reasons on why boxing affects the server's health. Let's assume boxing cap would be 2 chars.

Shads
02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
If people want to play by themselves then fine they can. That doesn't mean we should alow 2 boxing because people can play by themselves anyways... Alowing 2 boxing means people no longer needing groups for leveling purposes. Notice I said "needing" yes certain classes need a group to level in a reasonable amount of time. These classes would no longer need to group therefor less grouping would actualy take place. There is no way around that fact. Yes some boxers group, some do not group and some group on occasion, still boils down to less people grouping.

Playing alone is a decision one should be able to make yes. Not allowing boxing is a deceision the devs have already made. Which means if you want to play alone on this server you should probably not play a warrior.

Shads
02-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I'd like to hear some legitimate reasons on why boxing affects the server's health. Let's assume boxing cap would be 2 chars.

Read the posts...

L2Phantom
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't understand why you think you have to solo just because your friends blew past you in levels. There are groups out there, everywhere, go find them. EverQuest is a social game in which two boxing drastically hurts player to player interaction.

And yes I'm well aware of two computers being used to two box and I know from experience that this was an extremely rare occurrence for the first few years of the game. I'm sure anyone you would ask that has been playing this game since the beginning years would tell you the exact same thing. Boxing didn't gain popularity until later when groups and the general population began diminishing after GoD. Hell, I two boxed in PoP and I was one of the rare few still to that day. Barely anyone did besides the farmers.

I honestly don't know where you are getting your information, because there was almost zero reason to two box when the game first came out. People were crawling everywhere and you couldn't trip over a moss snake without running into hordes of people everywhere. Having a second box was almost a hassle because you'd have to wait on the waiting list as having two characters instead of just one, barely anyone did it. There was no reason to.

Even on this server there is no reason to, groups are out there, you just need to put effort into finding them instead of throwing out the "I'm a casual" excuse and saying you need to play by yourself all the time.

Myth
02-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Boxing is like taking a drug that has no 'good' side effects, all it does it make your asshole bleed for 10 days. Fu*k... it doesn't even get you high.

Seriously, there are no benefits at all to boxing. It's all based around selfishness. Those who support boxing basically want a melee class in end-game and they don't want to spend the time LFG. That's the only argument anyone who wants to box has... "I can't level my [insert melee class here], wahhhh".

I don't see anyone bitching "I can't level my cleric". Why is that?

Machail
02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Charging money for the game takes it into a whole new legal area though. Right now it's sort of a gray area because no one is profiting from it. As soon as money starts changing hands for the services where the IP legally belongs to Sony, it's a whole different ball game. At that point, you can bet SOE would pursue it pretty ferociously. So, no, charging boxers a premium just wouldn't work.

Zithax
02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
EverQuest is a social game in which two boxing drastically hurts player to player interaction.

Do you have evidence to support this hypothesis?

Saltinecracker
02-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmm..... everyone dosent want new models ...but boxing ... yeah thats classic :/

jelatin
02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Do you have evidence to support this hypothesis?

Zithax, this is obviously an opinion based poll. Most people have offered the opinion that they don't want two boxing because, like what has happened on the live servers, the game will most likely turn into individual Solo-quest.

People won't be interested in grouping because everyone will have their druid on a second box to sow them, DS them, heal them. People won't even have to look around for ports. Being completely self-sufficient reduces interaction.

Let's flip the argument around, do you have any legitimate reasons that 2-boxing should be allowed on the server? Do you have any research to back up those claims? or is it just your opinion.

Myth
02-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Jelatin, you will not get thorough response to your questione. Zithax can only type single sentence replies. I think he may have a problem with his keyboard... :P

karsten
02-08-2010, 08:21 PM
lol zithax i think that guy just called you dumb, burn!

Zithax
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Zithax, this is obviously an opinion based poll.
Sure it is. Yet people are offering presumptuous facts to support their opinion. Thus making their point not entirely clear.

jelatin
02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Jelatin, you will not get thorough response to your questione. Zithax can only type single sentence replies. I think he may have a problem with his keyboard... :P

Thanks for preparing me.

L2Phantom
02-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Sure it is. Yet people are offering presumptuous facts to support their opinion. Thus not making their point not entirely clear.

You don't need proven, documented scientific evidence to figure out that having a buff bot or port bot would reduce player interaction. It's common sense. I can't tell if you're a troll or just legitimately dense.

Packet
02-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately it seems the poll wins the argument. Boxing was in fact a classic attribute though considering I as well as many of my guildees boxed. Man, I remember pimping out with my 2 CRT's!

Ghesta
02-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I doubt Sony even pays attention to EqEmu anymore. Adding a subscription as a bonus wouldn't be an issue I think but adding a subscription for 'game play' would be I'm sure.

Plus, Shards of Dalaya does it and they haven't had any issues (lately).

I suggest you open a server and charge subscriptions then! I would hope that the mods running this server steer clear of the potential legal morass that would occur with charging even a voluntary subscription fee. (like you suggested for boxers)

Qi0
02-08-2010, 11:29 PM
My intention honestly wasn't to offer a pay-to-box solution, but I do stand by the point that unless there's some sort of 'negative' aspect to boxing (which could actually be a positive for the server as a whole), there is no reason for anyone not to dual-box. I doubt any of us are running on a computer that isn't capable of running at least 2 copies of EQ. It's for this reason that I voted with the majority. Unlike some people, though, I'd be willing to change my opinion on the premise that boxing would not become something every player was expected to do.

And as for the idea that EQLive was somehow ruined by people boxing, I just don't see it. Some poorly planned game decisions, mixed with the fact that WoW took a large percentage of the players (including myself at the time) is what brought about what EQ is like today. In actuality, a lot of the boxing started occurring for the very same reason some people suggest it for use on P99 - the ability to log on and know you will have a 'group' regardless of outside factors. Player population dropped, the world became much much larger, and it wasn't feasible to find groups to get through the low-mid levels every time you logged on.

You can say it's impersonal if you'd like, but even with 2 characters it's often going to end up in your best interests to group with other players. Especially when you consider that a player boxing is likely looking for the best xp possible, and that is usually found in the crowded dungeons anyway.

rachel
02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Well at least by reading this thread the gm's can see who is probably Currently two-boxing. We need more gm's to catch these bad apples. That want to MQ and 2box!

L2Phantom
02-09-2010, 12:21 AM
... on the premise that boxing would not become something every player was expected to do.

...the world became much much larger, and it wasn't feasible to find groups to get through the low-mid levels every time you logged on.

I read your post, good points throughout it. Couple things.

1) We don't have all the expansions that made the game world massive and overwhelming. Because of this alone, boxing should not be allowed. It will make dungeons crowded with boxers fighting over camps instead of just teaming up together and getting business done. A lot of people do this in modern day EQ where they would rather use mercenaries (AI boxes) to farm loot/dungeons because then they wont have competition for loot among other players. Completely selfish, but it happens all the time.

People will do the same thing here, use their box toons over other players so they don't have to share their 'better xp' or loot drops.

2) Boxing is a plague that will infectiously spread if you allow it to. It will become a necessity to box once you begin letting people roll their little 2 man teams that can solo camps for loot and experience. Playing a healer? Sorry, boxerA is already boxing a cleric. Playing a tank? Sorry, boxerB is playing a warrior with a shaman in tow. Playing a chanter? Sorry, already got a guildy boxing a maxed out chanter buff-bot outside the group. Play a druid or wizard? Sorry, chances are people will have a port bot of their very own so they don't have to ask for ports anymore. Completely anti-social.

The value of whatever class you choose to play will be greatly diminished if boxing is allowed.

What happens when the boxers turn you away to get better xp on their own? Well, you turn to boxing yourself to get experience. And now, instead of having a solid group working together in the zone, you have 3 teams of 2 fighting over spawns and training each other, screaming that they stole each others named mobs. And what happens when everyone starts playing in little teams of 2 instead of partnering up and completing tasks in a group setting? It becomes less about the community and getting to know people and making friends, and more about what can I do to benefit me and only me in the time I play this game.

And before you come in here screaming, "SLIPPERY SLOPE ARGUMENT BAHHHH!" just stop and think about it. Everything I said makes perfect sense if you really think about the way EverQuest was meant to be played.

Packet
02-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I suggest you open a server and charge subscriptions then! I would hope that the mods running this server steer clear of the potential legal morass that would occur with charging even a voluntary subscription fee. (like you suggested for boxers)

Bleh... Well, we could still increase grind xp in full groups... This way, all of the soloers are more encouraged to actually group.

Wolrok
02-09-2010, 02:52 AM
How about a complex response?

I think the no multi-box rule should stay. Ideally, it should help people get in groups.

However, I think having to ask for permission to allow multiple connections from a single IP is a bit extreme, as well as not being able to take control of a second character for a short period of time. (For example, brother playing character, emergency has to get away from computer for a minute, I take control for a minute and take his character to safety while I'm in a group somewhere else.)

Walabaego
02-09-2010, 05:02 AM
IF boxing becomes allowed and thats what EQ turns into again im out :) Server is great as is. Just ones opinion.

Honus
02-09-2010, 07:42 AM
My intention honestly wasn't to offer a pay-to-box solution, but I do stand by the point that unless there's some sort of 'negative' aspect to boxing (which could actually be a positive for the server as a whole), there is no reason for anyone not to dual-box.

The reason not to dual box is simple, it is not allowed on this server. There are several other servers to log into if someone wants to dual, tri, quad or octo box if that's their thing and is allowed as per their server rules.

Packet
02-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Even though I am for boxing, if this high of a poll is against it - then I think it should stay the way it is. I suggest a new poll regarding full group experience though considering it's seemingly slower for me to group than solo. Does anyone else agree that I should be encouraged to group with others? I am not using my own opinion for grouping standards as a scale. I'm simply using my class and preferences for selection (enchanter) as an example. No biased opinions here, I am open minded for sure.

Alprazolam
02-09-2010, 09:55 AM
How about a complex response?

I think the no multi-box rule should stay. Ideally, it should help people get in groups.

However, I think having to ask for permission to allow multiple connections from a single IP is a bit extreme, as well as not being able to take control of a second character for a short period of time. (For example, brother playing character, emergency has to get away from computer for a minute, I take control for a minute and take his character to safety while I'm in a group somewhere else.)

I can understand where the restriction comes into play. It is much easier to keep out boxers by implementing the ip restriction then to spend the day responding to boxers getting reported and then banned.

As for playing for your brother for a min, I can't see that being a problem.
I can't say this for sure but the GM's would be watching you for more then a min, and if you are duo boxing it is really easy to pick you out of the crowd compared to someone who is just running their g/f away from a kos mob or moving them up with the group while they get them some pie >.0.

But this is just my opinion and I only have it because I am killing time before work ends and EQ begins.

Ghesta
02-09-2010, 10:05 AM
As for playing for your brother for a min, I can't see that being a problem.

According to the GMs, it is a problem. They said in no uncertain terms (in the private petition forum) to me that one player one account, no accepts, no excuses. Playing another account other than your own for even a minute is a bannable offense.

My question was in regards to logging on my friends character to give him gear i had for him, the answer was absolutely not.

drplump
02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Ahh but there is no rule against say logging in your friends character. All he is doing is playing his brothers character while his brother plays his (and decides to go afk).

Pyrocat
02-09-2010, 01:01 PM
As has been said, boxing was only considered because there was a worry the population wouldn't be big enough to enable grouping. It was generally assumed if the population was extremely low, Nilbog would implement boxing as a way for people to still enjoy the server without being able to find a group. He took a big risk launching the server with the no-boxing rule, and it paid off in spades. Now with an active population nearing 500, a number which I never thought possible in beta or even the first few weeks after launch, there is absolutely no need for boxing.

Sloth
02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Well I voted for the removal of the boxing restriction. I really like boxing. It's discouraging to be a SK and unable to solo good camps like mages and other casters.

However I'm not whining about it. I'm still having a blast.

Trimm
02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
It's even more discouraging being a rogue and not being able to solo *anything*, but I knew that before I made my character and don't regret a thing. This server is doing just fine without boxing.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Anuril
02-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I propose that the Devs release a list of all characters/accounts granted an IP exemption. This would be for transparency's sake ya know.

Ghesta
02-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Ahh but there is no rule against say logging in your friends character. All he is doing is playing his brothers character while his brother plays his (and decides to go afk).

That's not what I was told.

scamp891
02-10-2010, 02:08 AM
I think 2 accounts would be fine. No more than that but 2 wouldn't adversely affect anything imo.

I enjoyed 2-boxing in EQLive and wish it were allowed. I agree with the sentiment that 2 accounts only should be the limit. I suspect some of the IP exempted accounts are being used for it, at least partially.

bastyr
02-10-2010, 02:15 AM
I used to box all the time using other peoples toons and eventually my own second account. I would two box to add a 7th to a group for whatever - dps / healing. If i was lvling up I would have the same approach, if I couldn't get a group I would go to a camp w/both chars, and camp the bot once the group was full.

I guess I did this for the fun factor of playing two characters and because of timezone issues... try playing 1 character on one VZ or SZ during aussie times, not a soul was about.

I was dissapointed to discover the no boxing rule and I hope it gets lifted.

Packet
02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
It's unanimous and I doubt our opinions matter when there are a good 150 votes over. The only thing that likely matters to the staff is the poll number and opposing at this point is useless considering they'd lose less if the 2boxing supporters quit for that reason. If I were you guys (supporters of 2boxing), I'd try to argue at the angle of increasing full group xp. I support 2 boxing but I know when I've lost. :p

L2Phantom
02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I completely disagree with 2 boxing, but I'd still be in support of increasing group experience. Too many people just choose to solo if they are able to, you should always consider grouping no matter your class for better experience if you so choose.

The Situation
02-10-2010, 03:09 PM
How about decreasing solo experience? Would you be in favor of that?

Shads
02-10-2010, 03:42 PM
How about decreasing solo experience? Would you be in favor of that?

LOL I would be yes but most would argue that if you weren't able to find a group blah blah blah...

Kelven
02-11-2010, 10:33 AM
This is an odd poll because of the current level spread on the server. Newbies would probably be in favor of boxing as it is sometimes a pain to find a group, while 50's or 50's with twinks could care less.

I voted "wouldn't effect me either way" because honestly it wouldn't.

Tsuken
02-14-2010, 02:47 AM
what is boxing?

Kuldiin
02-14-2010, 04:26 AM
Seems to be alot of people hunting in pairs lately, with one of them always quiet or afk...

Danth
02-14-2010, 12:24 PM
And I bet you most of them simply *are* quiet or AFK.

Amazing insight follows:

If two people are sitting next to each other, they do not in fact have to talk in /say in-game to communicate.

Of course the witch-hunt folks will see what they want to see, reality be damned.

Danth

am385
02-17-2010, 04:14 AM
So does the boxing rule work off of an IP address? If thats the case then a LAN party is out of the question correct?

Me and my buddies just found out about this project and we are thinking about a LAN party to remember the old days. I know it will work with other servers but we want to be pre luclin and this is the best thing out so far.

I guess what i'm asking is.

Does the no boxing rule kill off LAN play?

Hasbinbad
02-17-2010, 06:53 AM
So does the boxing rule work off of an IP address? If thats the case then a LAN party is out of the question correct?

Me and my buddies just found out about this project and we are thinking about a LAN party to remember the old days. I know it will work with other servers but we want to be pre luclin and this is the best thing out so far.

I guess what i'm asking is.

Does the no boxing rule kill off LAN play?
You can generally petition for an IP exemption (permanent), but especially in this case you may be able to get a temporary exemption. If you petition properly (research the rules for petitioninig and follow them instead of repetitive posting in the wrong areas), and the powers that be get laid the night before (common), and they can verify that x amount of real people will be present, as a community member I fully support the idea of a temporary exemption to support a LAN party. I can't say what they will do, but I haven't heard of something like this before and I think it would be great if you could convince them to throw the extra switches for you.

SevenFourTwo
02-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I got an IP exemption.
I play with my sister at my house(on occasion)
and my brother and friend at theirs.
We don't talk either in-game, we use ventrilo :)

Witness
02-17-2010, 01:19 PM
I got an IP exemption.
I play with my sister at my house(on occasion)
and my brother and friend at theirs.
We don't talk either in-game, we use ventrilo :)

lol, you guys are all atthe same house and you use ventrilo? what's the point of goingto your friend's house? :)

Recyclebin
02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Seems to be alot of people hunting in pairs lately, with one of them always quiet or afk...

Right now I am playing with my GF

Let's just say she's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but im teaching her how to press the heal button and nuke on her druid, we are both level 4 right now with our respective characters and to the common person we'd look like a 2 box simply because she sits next to me and only does stuff when i tell her too.

Recyclebin
02-17-2010, 01:58 PM
This is an odd poll because of the current level spread on the server. Newbies would probably be in favor of boxing as it is sometimes a pain to find a group, while 50's or 50's with twinks could care less.

I voted "wouldn't effect me either way" because honestly it wouldn't.

This is so true. With how badly item prices are inflated and a good handful of poop socking 50's they vote against boxing because *gasp* it doesn't affect them because they can twink out their characters with 10-20k worth of items, while the rest of us have characters that maybe have 500p worth of gear on them at level 10-20-30.

Witness
02-17-2010, 02:04 PM
This is so true. With how badly item prices are inflated and a good handful of poop socking 50's they vote against boxing because *gasp* it doesn't affect them because they can twink out their characters with 10-20k worth of items, while the rest of us have characters that maybe have 500p worth of gear on them at level 10-20-30.

lol, 500pp of gear is amazing at level 10 and even level 20..my bard ran around in full bronze until level 40ish with no jewelry and FS weapons probably totaling around 300pp and he did just fine.

Danth
02-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Don't forget that those same 'rich' high level players are the folks who played when the server opened. We spent many hours fighting in leather and maybe banded, wielding vendor-bought weapons, because there was nothing else. I used a Combine Longsword until I was in the mid 20's, haha.

~50P for SBD's, ~1P/AC for Bronze, People giving away Shiny Brass Halberds or the like means pretty well most people on the server classify as a 'twink' to some degree by the time they're in their mid/upper teens.

High-end gear prices are horribly inflated, I agree, but you don't need mithril 2-handers or GEBs to fight in Blackburrow or Unrest.

Danth

Trimm
02-17-2010, 02:19 PM
only does stuff when i tell her too.

The perfect woman.

Recyclebin
02-17-2010, 02:25 PM
The perfect woman.

I agree :p

Recyclebin
02-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Don't forget that those same 'rich' high level players are the folks who played when the server opened. We spent many hours fighting in leather and maybe banded, wielding vendor-bought weapons, because there was nothing else. I used a Combine Longsword until I was in the mid 20's, haha.

~50P for SBD's, ~1P/AC for Bronze, People giving away Shiny Brass Halberds or the like means pretty well most people on the server classify as a 'twink' to some degree by the time they're in their mid/upper teens.

High-end gear prices are horribly inflated, I agree, but you don't need mithril 2-handers or GEBs to fight in Blackburrow or Unrest.

Danth

This isn't a argument of they've earned the right to twink

It's the fact it weighs heavily on a poll like this when it doesn't affect them because they are "set" and don't need groups.

Ex: elemental brazier + a level 50 cleric guildly.

No group needed, level from 7-18 in Unrest all by yourself! Shun Groups!

Hasbinbad
02-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Good lord will you twits please finish this twit fight one way or the other and shut up?

Danth
02-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Recycle:

I wasn't commenting on whether they 'earned' (hah) a right, so much as illustrating that if they could level in leather/banded etc, folks up-and-coming now can certainly do it with the superior items available.

Population's higher now than it's ever been, groups are available for those who look, gear is out there, and in general folks should have an easier time leveling than we did at launch.

Danth

Recyclebin
02-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I'll make this easy.

No Boxing is not classic.

Sony did not have a IP exemption or a no 2 accounts rule.

So everyone's arguments are pretty null and void :o

No boxing is great for this emu environment, but there seems to be a lot of 100% hardcore attempts at this "RAWR 100% CLASSIC STUFFZ"

No boxing is NOT classic, sure things were different back then but I WAS one of the few that had multiple accounts back in 99-00 because I had many friends that 2 boxed with me as well.

Edit: I honestly don't give a piss on the boxing rule right now, I enjoy it because playing 2-3 accounts/chars is tedious as fuck.

I wanted to simply state the fact that its "dur hur not even close to classic to have a restriction on accounts" but then again this is a FREE environment vs a subscription environment

But why stop there right? I'm sure there are other things we should change because is a EMU VS LIVE Classic Vs 100% Classic.

Why stop with limiting the amount of accounts?

Haynar
02-17-2010, 05:20 PM
I'll make this easy.

No Boxing is not classic.

Sony did not have a IP exemption or a no 2 accounts rule.

So everyone's arguments are pretty null and void :o

No boxing is great for this emu environment, but there seems to be a lot of 100% hardcore attempts at this "RAWR 100% CLASSIC STUFFZ"

No boxing is NOT classic, sure things were different back then but I WAS one of the few that had multiple accounts back in 99-00 because I had many friends that 2 boxed with me as well.

If we wanted to go 100% classic, then I guess everyone would be sending about $10 a month to Nilbog and Rogean. We probably have 2000-3000 accounts that are active at least once a month. It could be even more. I am sure if you guys all pooled together, and pumped about $20-30k per month to help run the server, then we can really make this place rock.

Classic EQ was not unlimited accounts for free.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for boxing myself. But. I am not for people who box to farm stuff to sell, permacamp named, and generally make life a pain in the ass for others. I like to box. I do not like to look for groups. If I have 30 minutes to game, I want to be playing at least 25 of them.

But lucky for you, I enjoy programming and solving problems with code more. If this were truly classic, I would be doing this full time, making about 100k a year. Now please, please, sign me up for this 100% classic server. I am all for it.

In the meantime, we work with what we got.

Haynar

L2Phantom
02-17-2010, 06:05 PM
I could really care less about the 'boxing is not classic' argument.

I just think it's a terrible idea for all the reasons listed in this thread.

Recyclebin
02-17-2010, 06:56 PM
If we wanted to go 100% classic, then I guess everyone would be sending about $10 a month to Nilbog and Rogean. We probably have 2000-3000 accounts that are active at least once a month. It could be even more. I am sure if you guys all pooled together, and pumped about $20-30k per month to help run the server, then we can really make this place rock.

Classic EQ was not unlimited accounts for free.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for boxing myself. But. I am not for people who box to farm stuff to sell, permacamp named, and generally make life a pain in the ass for others. I like to box. I do not like to look for groups. If I have 30 minutes to game, I want to be playing at least 25 of them.

But lucky for you, I enjoy programming and solving problems with code more. If this were truly classic, I would be doing this full time, making about 100k a year. Now please, please, sign me up for this 100% classic server. I am all for it.

In the meantime, we work with what we got.

Haynar

I basically said the same thing Haynar :) Its a EMU vs LIVE environment, some of us are more than willing to pay to re-live that classic experience, but then again beyond donations i've never heard of a emulated server on any game to charge a "subscription" most likely due to it being massively illegal.

But even without boxing some things are almost already perma camped here, there's a reason these camp policies and play nice rules came out a little less than a few weeks ago. People are already being asses to others, unfortunately.

I am all for growth on this server and have held many roles as new player assistance, guides, seer, etc on many game servers.

I mean for the absolute best for this server but many of the elitist folk have already made me NOT want to hit 50, ive been having fun with alts also another reason I wish to box is to avoid to absolute douche baggery elitist peeps.

whitebandit
02-23-2010, 12:49 AM
2boxing is loads of fun, and for those who want to, i think it wouldnt change much except give the option for us to duo when things are slow.:p

Olorin
03-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Please no boxing, this rule was one of the main reasons i am here instead of SoD -- having a great time and I have boxed in the past, but this is FAR better. In fact, I might go as far as to request that the exemptions get reviewed, because i am pretty sure some of them are being abused.

Gorgetrapper
03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Of course they're being abused, those people just haven't been caught yet. I'm almost positive the guy Offerplz is 2boxing somehow, but with no evidence, it doesn't matter.

Zephys
03-26-2010, 06:50 PM
My father and I have our computers in the same household, and have always wanted to group together. We haven't gotten project 1999 yet, but are installing it tonight. Is the boxing issue account-based, or IP based. We don't want to 2-box, we just want to play together.

Lonedrahon25
03-26-2010, 07:02 PM
It's IP based, you will need to go back to the forum selection and request for an IP exemption there. It should take a few days, week max to get it. Giving Nilbog isnt trolling the forums today and gets to it fast :P

Eastwood
03-26-2010, 09:12 PM
2 boxing at most maybe,

but probably better without it. We all have a more immersed and deeper gaming experience playing one character at a time.

robreg
03-26-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm all against boxing. Before considering on banning someone for boxing or possibly boxing, they should be given an investigation and a warning. I was in a group earlier in commonland having a good time. I was not boxing or anything. I was in tell hell while grouped. Then all of the sudden I got d/c and when I tried to log on. I got a banned for no reason. I assumed someone thought I was boxing and reported me. That was unreal and unbelievable. Very unprofessional to say the least.

Arksa_Apocrypha
03-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Rule should stay. I thought there was code against it on this server nes pas?
Thus no one should be banned for suspected boxing correct?
I've never done it personally as I prefer full screen and attention to that one character.
Other servers out there where you can. And I know some will say but I want to play on classic. Well I want more then one icon for 20 different spells but it's the game play of classic I'm after.
So you can't have everything in life all the time.

toddfx
03-30-2010, 06:37 PM
I play a low level human monk and while finding a healing partner is relatively easy at my level, I still find myself wishing I could string a bard along with me for increased heal rate. Honestly, healing rate is all I am concerned with at the moment, though many other bard songs would be very nice.

Omnimorph
03-30-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm against it. A lot of the more popular classes would be boxed, and as such you'd end up having people preferring to box their own healer than grouping with a potentially bad one.

It'd be detrimental to the SPIRIT of p1999! !

Aeolwind
03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
I remembered something funny the other day. Back in the day, you couldn't even alt tab out of EQ. If you did, it crashed the client. There was a letter that someone posted on the Sony boards about how "They couldn't access all the wonderful Microsoft applications while playing EverQuest" hahahah

dagarath
06-13-2010, 08:50 PM
I remembered something funny the other day. Back in the day, you couldn't even alt tab out of EQ. If you did, it crashed the client. There was a letter that someone posted on the Sony boards about how "They couldn't access all the wonderful Microsoft applications while playing EverQuest" hahahah

That is why us original boxers had two computers. Anyways I am gonna give my two cents.

I have played on many live and eqemu servers, and although I have always preferred the group dynamic (not to mention only focusing on one character) to me, the ability to multi box has always been a necessity because I, like many others, am totally impatient.

Here is a scenario from last week:
I logged on to project 1999 for 3 consecutive days, and in all 3 of those days I was unable to find a group. I sat around for hours talking to random people, and people on my friends list and still no group. I then finally got a bite on the third day, I walked for about half an hour to get to the group "/tell Drakarr Sorry they filled your spot" WTF seriously. This is all too common, I get a group, replaced on the way by someones "friend".

I have yet to log back onto Project 1999 even though I love everquest and LOVE Project1999.

To be able to pull out a healer for me is seems a necessity, and although I have every bit of knowledge required to get away with multi boxing without anyone even realizing it, I refuse to because of my own personal moral standards. Nilbog, Rogean and everyone else put so much time and effort into this project, following the rules is simply a sign of respect, not following them is well, obviously disrespect.

All that aside, the truth is, people multibox on Project 1999. They are rarely ever caught as nobody knows what to look for, or they have incredibly well designed bot macros, either way... people multibox on Project 1999.

I feel for this reason alone 2 Boxing should be allowed, simply because it is going to happen anyways I just feel it would be better to know who is boxing, than to have all these witch hunts. This is my opinion, and you may not agree with it, if you don't agree plz keep it to yourself because I don't care.

Edit: PS. The reason I want to be able to 2box is so I can PL my own characters lol, way selfish but I should at least be honest.

astarothel
06-13-2010, 09:33 PM
There seems to be a lot more slipping through -- I never suspected more than one or two a month ago. As for noticeable? Theyre totally noticeable if you know what to look for. Many of these people aren't the geniuses you give them credit for with botting, etc. They are often blatant between afk camping multiple rares in a zone, horrible af'ing to a camp proceeded by killing, or sticking ones 'wife' in ECT to sell perpetually. Just because people can do it, doesn't mean it should be tolerated, especially when the GMs and community is largely against it.

Gorgetrapper
06-13-2010, 09:53 PM
There seems to be a lot more slipping through -- I never suspected more than one or two a month ago. As for noticeable? Theyre totally noticeable if you know what to look for. Many of these people aren't the geniuses you give them credit for with botting, etc. They are often blatant between afk camping multiple rares in a zone, horrible af'ing to a camp proceeded by killing, or sticking ones 'wife' in ECT to sell perpetually. Just because people can do it, doesn't mean it should be tolerated, especially when the GMs and community is largely against it.

I would bet that some of the people who are largely against it, are being 2 faced in the fact that they do it themselves, to keep the eye turned away from them.

Maurk
06-13-2010, 10:15 PM
im sorry but two boxing is geeky
if you multi box

you are a geek
and that has been scientifically proven.

skizoke
08-29-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't get the no-boxing stuff at all. CLASSIC eq had boxing. I've been doing it since late 99 on seperate computers. If people abuse it then ban them, but casual people like me do it because it isn't always easy to get a group as soon as you log in and if you have to waste an hour of your 1-3 hours you have to play then that kind of sucks.

Ponden
08-29-2010, 12:53 AM
Groups are easy to come by if 1) You aren't bad at your class. 2) You aren't a douche(even then, groups will take you).

Your points aren't valid.

Fists
08-29-2010, 05:52 AM
i had no problem grouping ever as a monk, i think the longest i've waited was 10-15 minutes or so, granted i am social, not an asshole, and found a group of buddies with my same play time, i'd recommend being chatty and doing the same if you have an issue not finding groups.

Mad Jacq
08-29-2010, 09:05 AM
I'm only level 25 and I've already seen boxers hard at work trying to ruin this server. Boxers regularly take camps that groups could, and would, set up in. Mistmoore GY was a recent experience of mine in this regard.

I also firmly believe that fully half of the people petitioning for a IP exception so their "wife can play too" just want to box. And that goes for the people requesting character moves from a single account so their "friend can play" as well. <--just a boxer wannabe who pines for playing both of his characters at the same time.

To the person who wants to box because he can't find a group: The reason you can't find a group is starting in the 20's more and more people are boxing, getting friends to PL them, or box PL'ing themselves. To request that boxing be made legitimate because of this is to ask to finish breaking something that at the moment just as a crack in it.

When you get a chip in your windshield you have it repaired, you don't finish the break with a hammer. Because then you'll just have to replace the whole thing (What I'm metaphorically saying, of course, is that the whole server's integrity will be ruined and we'll have to go elsewhere or start over).

08-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm new to Project 1999, and think the concept (and so far the implementation) is great. I'm posing my question/observation here more as an investigative side on my part.

I remember the days of two-boxing back on the SOE subscription servers. It seemed to go on with quite a regularity. Now, I breezed through this thread, and it seems the consensus against views two-boxers as folks who are going to control camps, which would otherwise be available to groups. That definitely was an issue, back in the day, with server loads to the upwards of 2000 online.

Now, people have expressed concern of that happening here. With server loads (from what I've seen) ranging anywhere from 400-600 online at a time, and the size of Norrath, is there really a worry that it would happen here? Gosh, I would hope not. I mean, I understand, that if every single person online two-boxed, that would push server loads to anywhere up to 1200 online, which still (hopefully) would allow plenty of content to share.

As I said, I'm asking purely to find out what is in-store for me as a budding gamer on this server. It seems that, overall, everyone here is good-natured, and here for the fun of re-experiencing this game in it's infancy, to recapture some of that enjoyment that we've all lost with the advent of the genre. I would like the think that everyone here would be welcome to helping each other out, and allowing the game to be fun for everyone. Maybe that's a dream world, I dunno.

To throw my two cents on the voting process, I don't have an opinion on two-boxers, but if the concern proves to be true I would whole-heartily support maintaining the current rules in place.

Bashee_Feind
08-29-2010, 02:38 PM
I will say, back in the early days (beta to release) My grandparents got beta cd's, and my grandmother, grandfather, and I played. They played more than me (yes, gaming grands. funny right?) But they were a monk/druid combo. They were online at the same times, and would level sometimes by themselves. But for the most part, they were in groups contributing when they could solo. When my grandmother couldn't or didn't want to play, my grandfather would log in the druid, and still be a contributing factor to the group. I played a rogue, and most times they'd get me in a list for the group and we'd settle in for an evening of exping. While I think that more than 2 boxes would affect the server in a negative manner, I don't see the problem with 2 box maximum. Me and my wife currently play. She doesn't play as often as I do by far, and for the most part, she just levels in my cleric if i need buffs or a res. She started a mage, and I could have easily kept her alive to do whatever she wanted to do. But she chose to find groups to have a social aspect.

That said, not everyone that has the ability to duo whatever they want will actually do so. In the same regards, not everyone will want to box. I was playing on another server before here that you pretty much had to box on. I quickly left because I just don't like to maintain 2 boxes.

To get back on track, I would support the option to 2 box.. For the longest time, my wife wanted to play when I did (before the ip exemption) and she couldn't. Now we are able to log in at the same time, but can only run the accounts that have been exempted at the same time. So therefore, a method is already in place to prevent you logging in multiple accounts no the same ip. I don't think it'd be hard to regulate at all.

Fists
08-29-2010, 07:26 PM
2 Boxing is stupid, during peak hours there are almost 1000 people online. This is not kunark, this is not velious, there is NOT enough content to share. Whenever I am online at peak hours there is nothing but waiting for repops in the majority of the dungeons, (mistmoore, cb, unrest, sola, solb, highkeep, lguk, uguk.) People who want to box are the bane of EQ, look at live. We want to be a social community that continues to grow as expansions are released. I've had more fun here in p99 in the 2 months i've played simply because I run into the same people into groups over and over, and enjoy the community I play on.

08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
...there is NOT enough content to share. Whenever I am online at peak hours there is nothing but waiting for repops in the majority of the dungeons, (mistmoore, cb, unrest, sola, solb, highkeep, lguk, uguk.

That's the type of information that I was inquiring about, being new here, not not knowing the population trends. If this is indeed the case, then I would definitely sway to the "no" side of the two-box inquiry. :)

jawtoe
09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
I realize this is an old thread now, but I took a long break from p1999 and am thinking of returning and wanted to see if the policy on boxing had changed in the time I was gone. Personally, the MAIN reason I'd ever want to log into two accounts at the same time would be to transfer items. I think that making the shared bank work here would be a good thing in this regard. Not everything about eq classic is replicable (what about all the cool old bugs, like how pet weapons used to change the delay of pet attacks, but not their dmg? that was fun for the little while that it happened, but it never happened here) so maybe some "improvements" could be made, that don't really detract from the overall experience.

Puyen
09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I realize this is an old thread now, but I took a long break from p1999 and am thinking of returning and wanted to see if the policy on boxing had changed in the time I was gone. Personally, the MAIN reason I'd ever want to log into two accounts at the same time would be to transfer items. I think that making the shared bank work here would be a good thing in this regard. Not everything about eq classic is replicable (what about all the cool old bugs, like how pet weapons used to change the delay of pet attacks, but not their dmg? that was fun for the little while that it happened, but it never happened here) so maybe some "improvements" could be made, that don't really detract from the overall experience.

Shared bank supports twinking. Two boxing supports social seclusion. Change the current game and you mind as well start digging the grave and making the coffin.

FireEmblem86
10-26-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm a little late to this poll, but I'd like to say that I'd enjoy being able to have 2 accounts on this server. Not for boxing, but for alts.

I can be quite the altaholic if I'm allowed.

Uaellaen
10-26-2010, 04:43 AM
you are able to have as many accounts on this server as you wish ... just cant log them in at the same time ;) so if you dont plan on boxing ... no issue :P

Omnimorph
10-26-2010, 05:04 AM
Boxing would ruin a good server. The cons outweigh the pros considerably.

FireEmblem86
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
you are able to have as many accounts on this server as you wish ... just cant log them in at the same time ;) so if you dont plan on boxing ... no issue :P

Oh, hey. Nifty. I thought that they stopped people logging on from one account if another had been logged into from the same IP in the past X days or something.

/goes off to create another account... and another

h0tr0d (shaere)
10-26-2010, 08:47 PM
EQ was never meant to be instanced. No boxing.

Drzombies
10-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Another vote to keep things the way they are. I feel better knowing the online numbers arent inflated and you get a lot more personal with your 1 character your playing at a time.

Stumpes
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
I would like it to be removed so I could box a tank/cleric, but if the population continues to be over 1,000 people during prime time, it's not a big deal.

Gorgetrapper
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
No need to bump a thread that is started over a year ago. Boxing will not be allowed legally.