PDA

View Full Version : Duck Stalker

NachtMystium
05-20-2017, 01:11 AM
Okay, so last Monday I woke up around 8 am to a plastic duck facing me on my porch...no clue who it could be.

Just about an hour ago, another fake duck was left on my porch. This was particularly weird because my door was open and my couch where I chill is right next to the door so it was left while I was sitting right there.

A little background:
upstairs garage apt. out of view from the street and you have to go through a yard to even get to the stairs.
hardly anyone knows where I live and it's completely out of character for anyone who does.

Looking for some ideas on DIY home surveillance or any ideas on how I can make sure that next time whoever is leaving the ducks on my porch is identified or any ideas at all to spot/capture/fuck with the weird duck-stalker.
Pic of the ducks:
http://i.imgur.com/ra9VoMe.jpg

Ahldagor
05-20-2017, 01:24 AM
Leave a goose.

NachtMystium
05-20-2017, 01:26 AM
Leave a goose.

This is seriously the best idea. Thank you. I'm going to get a trail-cam and a big fake goose tomorrow, will post pics with updates.

AzzarTheGod
05-20-2017, 01:37 AM
This is seriously the best idea. Thank you. I'm going to get a trail-cam and a big fake goose tomorrow, will post pics with updates.

Yeah also the duck on the left looks a little expensive like more than a few dollars. To me that says it's someone you know.

NachtMystium
05-20-2017, 01:42 AM
Yeah also the duck on the left looks a little expensive like more than a few dollars. To me that says it's someone you know.

It's really doubtful it's anyone I know, there are only a handful of people that know I live here and they're mostly old family members. Both ducks are worn down and appear to be pretty old, the left duck is falling apart in the back.

The duck on the right has the cardboard tag still attached on top that is clearly yellow'd with age.

Ahldagor
05-20-2017, 02:14 AM
How old is your siding? Clean that stuff.

NachtMystium
05-20-2017, 02:16 AM
How old is your siding? Clean that stuff.

Just an old garage apt i'm renting. Paint is fading in some parts.. not too worried about it.

Any booby trap ideas I could set up in the yard or anything?

AzzarTheGod
05-20-2017, 02:43 AM

I mean if you area supports it you could set up a very basic tripwire that makes noise but you need to consider your area and if thats even possible.

might be able to use fishing line, but i prefer a very razor thin wire. dont do anything that could hurt or actually trip anyone because it could be a small child or someone mentally handicapped, make sure the setup is designed to give away when the tripwire is touched gently. just have a small empty plastic water bottle and set it up so its on the very edge of a countertop and any subtle pressure will toss it on the ground. you can weight the water bottle a little if necessary and you can play with different tension settings on the trip itself as well as tension on the waterbottle until you get it right. multiple runs of the tripwire through tall grass will work for daytime detection. no tall grass then you cant expect it to function during the day, its too easy to see, especially multiple runs.

The reason you want multiple runs is so you are absolutely certain it will be tripped or molested if anyone walks your way. you can do 5, 10, 15, runs to make sure theres no possible way to get in without knocking the bottle off. Hope that makes sense. no grass, no multiple runs and you have to just rely on them not seeing it or placing it in a inconspicuous area.

its difficult to believe you do not know this person in some way. I just dont buy that but again i have no idea what your exact neighborhood/city/living arrangement is.

NachtMystium
05-20-2017, 03:01 AM
its difficult to believe you do not know this person in some way. I just dont buy that but again i have no idea what your exact neighborhood/city/living arrangement is.

This is exactly why it's freaking me out so much because i'm like 99% sure it's noone that I know. Also the apt is out of view from the street and you have to go into a yard to even see the porch.

It's not a front porch you would walk past if you were walking down the street. I live in a city with a pop of about 140k in west texas.

The only people that know that I specifically live in this apartment are my girlfriend's family and my grandma

chadtwoke
05-20-2017, 09:15 AM
voted skyrim style traps aka tree trunk covered in spikes attached to a large chain activated by a pressure plate/trip wire. poison darts.

Ahldagor
05-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Just an old garage apt i'm renting. Paint is fading in some parts.. not too worried about it.

Point it out to your landlord because it shows concern as a tenant. I'd just go back forth with the ducks with this person. Play it out until you can solidify an attack strategy. Nanny cam for sure tho'.

Cecily
05-20-2017, 11:29 AM
I'd be thrilled to be getting free ducks on my porch.

JurisDictum
05-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Someone probably thought it would be funny. Doesn't mean he's a serial killer like in all the movies.

NachtMystium
05-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Someone probably thought it would be funny. Doesn't mean he's a serial killer like in all the movies.
I'm sure that's a possibility, but why choose my porch that's so out of the way from the street when there is a house right next to me right on the street? It just raises concern only because I have no idea who it could be lol

skarlorn
05-20-2017, 01:26 PM
OP... ARE YOU SOME KIND OF QUACK?

Lune
05-20-2017, 01:29 PM
You blasting sound effects/music that annoys or is otherwise easily audible to the neighbors?

Could be attracting a neighborhood kid to fuck with you. It's something I would have done as a kid, leaving ducks on someone's porch.

NachtMystium
05-20-2017, 03:15 PM
You blasting sound effects/music that annoys or is otherwise easily audible to the neighbors?

Could be attracting a neighborhood kid to fuck with you. It's something I would have done as a kid, leaving ducks on someone's porch.

Highly doubtful as I actually have a pair of headphones that I really enjoy and use most of the time. I'm also pretty away from the neighbors who I think are pro ably illegal, which I don't care at all. They have about 10 roosters in their backyard and they barely speak English but are super friendly. The roosters crow every morning around 6. Doesn't bother me though since I basically live right along a very active railroad as well.

Anyone else would be too far away to even hear anything coming from my apt.

NachtMystium
05-21-2017, 05:00 PM
*UPDATE*

So the duck stalker was found. Azzar, you were right, but it was totally out of left field.

It was my girlfriend's brother-in-law who we never talk to. His dad just died literally about a week ago and apparently he had a huge duck collection. His plan was to leave a duck on the porch all the way up until Christmas, he had that many, but he didn't want me to spend any money on a trail-cam and stuff so he went ahead and told us.

I'm kind of bummed out now, a little relieved though that it's not a serial killer.

+1 to Azzar for being right, I'm sorry I doubted you!

Nuggie
05-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Thats a cool story. You quoted lune who i dont like, but ends up I have things in common. We used flamingos in high school. Glad it wasnt a serial killer and you lived to finish the tale.

AzzarTheGod
05-21-2017, 06:02 PM
*UPDATE*

So the duck stalker was found. Azzar, you were right, but it was totally out of left field.

It was my girlfriend's brother-in-law who we never talk to. His dad just died literally about a week ago and apparently he had a huge duck collection. His plan was to leave a duck on the porch all the way up until Christmas, he had that many, but he didn't want me to spend any money on a trail-cam and stuff so he went ahead and told us.

I'm kind of bummed out now, a little relieved though that it's not a serial killer.

+1 to Azzar for being right, I'm sorry I doubted you!

*daps hammer* the ducks just looked a tad expensive for some nobody to be a culprit. Even 5 dollars is exactly what I mean by expensive. They also weren't the kind of mass produced stuff I see at Wal-mart

Most people are 1 paycheck away from being homeless!

The More You Know.

Darkatar
05-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Reminds me of an old trick thieves would do to rob vacationers. Leave a flyer/mail/package/nicknack on the property and see if anyone moves/takes/claims any of it. if not, rob the house.

Edit: Even if the duck is pricey, it could just be stolen from someone else. (Obviously not, but in general)

Muggens
05-23-2017, 05:09 AM
Phew glad it wasnt The New York Ripper

Sirban
05-27-2017, 02:43 PM
its agatha on another drug binge.

C U SOON

Ahldagor
05-27-2017, 02:46 PM
its agatha on another drug binge.

C U SOON

Classic